Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 04-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
DigsUT

Default Big decision ahead.....

As big a fan as I am of J Scott Campbell, I cant help but think if holding onto his stuff will be of great benefit once I am gone and the collection goes to my daughter. So I have come to a crossroads in my collecting. Do I sell off most of my collection, keeping some key books I love, then turn it into more historical keys that she could either sell or appreciate once I am gone? For some of you, the decision would be easy. I dont know, just thought I would ramble off this post to see what folks had to say.
D'Onta Foreman HOOK'EM!
DigsUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
natbornkiller

i will give you 6 cents each for every jsc incentive and 10 cents each for every exclusive
Old 04-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
Jinak

Have to keep a few keys for her if your in a position to do so.
Jinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #4
rokstarr99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsUT View Post
As big a fan as I am of J Scott Campbell, I cant help but think if holding onto his stuff will be of great benefit once I am gone and the collection goes to my daughter. So I have come to a crossroads in my collecting. Do I sell off most of my collection, keeping some key books I love, then turn it into more historical keys that she could either sell or appreciate once I am gone? For some of you, the decision would be easy. I dont know, just thought I would ramble off this post to see what folks had to say.
Thats sorta what I've been doing recently. I've almost sold off my JSC collection in order to buy key books. My Danger Girl Gi Joe 3 CGC SS 9.8 sold yesterday and it stung a bit, but if it finances some nice keys then I'm ok with it I guess my tastes have changed a bit and I still love the older JSC stuff, but it doesn't do me much good sitting in a box in the garage. I like your idea of selling off the modern stuff and buying some older key books.
rokstarr99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
rjahn98

I only just started re-collecting and already decided that my mass JSC purchases were ill-advised for long-term investing. I've since totally halted my JSC purchases (although keeping an eye out for really good covers) and am thinking about re-selling the less desirable ones in favor of the keys that will always retain value. It's just the smarter thing to do if you're cost-conscious. For those who have money to burn, keep on buying I suppose.
rjahn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
IndySportsCards

People collect different things for different reasons, there is no right or wrong answer really. Collect what you like I say.

In fact, most of what I collect is 1960's/1970's Hanna Barbara comics like Scooby Doo and Banana Splits type stuff. Not worth a whole heck of a lot, but I love it. Reminds me of my childhood, plus I'm always amazed how it wasn't the Scary Swamp Monster all it, it was creepy Mr. Jenkins the whole time!!!
Old 04-14-2018, 03:51 AM   #7
Phanos

I say collect what you have an attachment to. Hopefully if any of the books have value. Focus on collecting them. As for me, my father and I collected silver age marvel comics in my childhood. So I have an attachment to those, the fact that they have value I find to be a bonus.
Phanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
Spider-Fan

Agree with Indy, collect what you like.

If the purpose of your "collection" is to amass something of value to pass on to your daughter, then JSC covers are probably not the best way to meet your end goal. I say "collection" because I really consider that investing, not collecting. There is nothing wrong with doing it, but it is a different thing. You may get enjoyment out of investing, but enjoyment isn't the primary focus. Somebody may enjoy buying and selling stocks on etrade, but they probably don't refer to thier holdings as thier stock collection.

Personally, I do both. I collect some things that I like with complete disregard for thier future value (like most of my modern JSC/Artgerm collection). I also buy silver and bronze age keys that pretty much get tucked into a box and forgotten about.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #9
DigsUT

I am not sold on wanting to liquidate my PC. I have started cataloging it, so it will be interesting to see exactly the value once done
D'Onta Foreman HOOK'EM!
Old 04-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #10
blackbears86

Why not just sell a few you think you can part with and see how you feel about it?

I downsized a few years ago and I'm 100% happy about it. I sold a few I regret, but I can always buy them back.
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:40 PM   #11
Stat Monsters

I think cover art by any artist, JSC, Artgerm, Adam Hughes, etc. might lose it's long term luster since it's all sizzle, but not quality meat, meaning they're often cute sexy pin-up covers of comics nobody cares about as far as the title or internal content. Couple that with most of these hot artists are still alive continuing to crank out more and more pieces, it's grown too commonplace. Sure there's limited print runs, but from a long term investment standpoint, go for the key/grails that are meaningful historically. But if you're liquidating JSC's to buy other comics for your daughter as some sort of inheritance she can cash out, you'd be better off buying her stocks or something that's more liquid and stable. Imagine her eventually not knowing what your funny books are worth or caring much about 'em and donating them or selling them to a comic book shop for a fraction of the value to cash out. Comics are a horrible inheritance investment.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #12
DigsUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat Monsters View Post
I think cover art by any artist, JSC, Artgerm, Adam Hughes, etc. might lose it's long term luster since it's all sizzle, but not quality meat, meaning they're often cute sexy pin-up covers of comics nobody cares about as far as the title or internal content. Couple that with most of these hot artists are still alive continuing to crank out more and more pieces, it's grown too commonplace. Sure there's limited print runs, but from a long term investment standpoint, go for the key/grails that are meaningful historically. But if you're liquidating JSC's to buy other comics for your daughter as some sort of inheritance she can cash out, you'd be better off buying her stocks or something that's more liquid and stable. Imagine her eventually not knowing what your funny books are worth or caring much about 'em and donating them or selling them to a comic book shop for a fraction of the value to cash out. Comics are a horrible inheritance investment.
I am not sure I agree with the statement, "Comics are a horrible inheritance investment." Without any sort of foresight, sure, that statement makes sense. However, you could apply that to almost any type of investing. I could sell off my collection and move it to stocks and bonds, only to see the next great depression. There is a risk in any type of investment. That being said, I definitely do not plan to put all of my child's inheritance into funny books. It would simply be a collection that she could remember me by and if she did not need them, she could sell them.

On a separate note, finally finished cataloging my Campbell collection. 300 total floppies.
D'Onta Foreman HOOK'EM!
Old 04-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #13
Darth

I say sell what you can and keep only a few ones that you love. Don't leave your daughter more work when you pass. It's a huge burden if she's not into comics. Plus she my just sell the entire collection in 1 cheap sale to make it efficient.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:33 PM   #14
Cyber Warrior

Im holding onto some of his earlier work before he started pumping out variants.. mostly everything else I've sold. I'll only buy his books now if I truly feel I need it.. he has so many covers constantly coming out that are all great, it's too much to keep up with.. no reason to collect for investment anymore. So I buy and keep what I like, and hold onto a few of his rarer books but not because I think they'll go up in value.. hopefully they can hold their value but who knows these days.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
smalltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Don't leave your daughter more work when you pass.
This right here is key.

I've Started a "time capsule" of sorts for my son. It's got some really nice high value collectibles that have meaning to me and are of obvious value (both aesthetic and monetary) to people who may not collect. I want him to inherit something he can enjoy (or sell easily if he so chooses). I don't want him to inherit work or have to deal with throwing out Dad's stuff.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #16
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltown View Post
This right here is key.

I've Started a "time capsule" of sorts for my son. It's got some really nice high value collectibles that have meaning to me and are of obvious value (both aesthetic and monetary) to people who may not collect. I want him to inherit something he can enjoy (or sell easily if he so chooses). I don't want him to inherit work or have to deal with throwing out Dad's stuff.
Im not certain why you think any other valuable collectible is easier to sell than a valuable comic. At the end of the day, it's work to understand the specific market, or you can pay a fee to somebody else to do that work. You're contradicting your own advice here. If it's something your son doesn't appreciate, it's work or garbage for him no matter how obvious it is for you.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote