old school

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 03-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #151
hipywolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
Here's the cover.. 300 pesos, sounds like a lot of money lol but I think it's actually not

Nice to see something other than Betty and Veronica, now if he would only get back to DC/Marvel.

its available on their website but for 600 not 300 pesos
hipywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #152
Cyber Warrior

Head sketches from La Mole Comic Con

Old 03-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #153
Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Head sketches from La Mole Comic Con

Not bad for head sketches ...That MJ Spider heart logo on her shirt if off perspective wise though...as well as some of them boobs.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:34 PM   #154
rokstarr99

Quote:
Not bad for head sketches ...That MJ Spider heart logo on her shirt if off perspective wise though...as well as some of them boobs.

Yea, something's goin on with Black Cats Bousum ....what's that show about the bad plastic surgeries called...Botched!!
rokstarr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #155
Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokstarr99 View Post
Yea, something's goin on with Black Cats Bousum ....what's that show about the bad plastic surgeries called...Botched!!
His inspiration haha

Looks like he shadowed in a nipple for Gwen ...and are those areolas on MJ lol. Spider-Verse X Rated
Old 03-17-2017, 11:20 PM   #156
Spider-Fan

I like Hughes, as a general rule, but if I had commissioned a head sketch... Would have kept the Spider-Gwen, the rest... resell to recoup and try again next year. Just not what I'd expect from that caliber of artist.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #157
Cyber Warrior

Larger commission.. much better.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:11 PM   #158
Remyvt

I like these a lot. The black cat in Spider-Man costume and spider Gwen are fantastic. I'm planning on being greasy to go to two cons later this year if I can get a commission picked.
Remyvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #159
Cyber Warrior

The Spider-Gwen went unclaimed, original owner never picked it up so they gave it to the first person who made it to their table that wanted it.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #160
rokstarr99

Quote:
The Spider-Gwen went unclaimed, original owner never picked it up so they gave it to the first person who made it to their table that wanted it.
I'd love to own that one.,.
rokstarr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #161
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Damn. Best one!
Old 05-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #162
Cyber Warrior

So Allison made an announcement on FB about his upcoming Mega Con appearance. They've been on a kick lately to try and cut back so called "flippers".

No CGC sub books will be signed at his table, you will need to drop them off at the CGC booth and then Adam will make one trip to their booth to sign those books. The only books he will sign at his table will be books not for grading and head sketches. Still first 5 books for free, then $5 each after.. 10 books max per line visit. But he will now charge a $10 fee for all CGC signatures.

Personally, if I'm CGCing a book I'd like to see the artist sign it.. makes the experience more personable/memorable but whatever. They say it will keep the true fans on line and running smoothly, and facilitators can deal with the CGC booth. I'm not sure what it matters, if there's a 10 book minimum the line is going to run pretty much same speed.. what's the big deal if there's a rep hovering in the back to witness.. also who's to say because you CGC you're not a real fan.

Apparently they also told CBCS to F'off this year because CBCS prematurely announced they were attending the Hughes signings.. but that's a whole other story ...let's hope CGC stays on their good side otherwise Hughes CGC books will be drying up.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #163
Spider-Fan

If I happen to have a discussion with him, I think I'll mention I'm a fan how collects SS books, maybe even show some pics. I really think they don't get it. And, honestly, it sounds like he is making it easier for flipper. Now they don't have to wait on line!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #164
Cyber Warrior

Lol, that's true.. no waiting on line. People complained/explained on FB that not every person that shows up with multiple books is a flipper.. in which they understood a lot of people rely on facilitator's to get their books signed cause they can't attend conventions themselves. I think what they don't get is not every person with multiple books is a flipper. I may show up with 2 or 3 books same title to better my chances at a higher grade and yes I may sell the duplicates I don't need afterwards but my intention is not there to flip and make money.. I can already do that without his signature on the book.

I think capping people at 10 books per visit is more then adequate.. they're putting too much thought into this, be happy you have a fan base willing to spend big money in the first place.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #165
Stat Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
If I happen to have a discussion with him, I think I'll mention I'm a fan how collects SS books, maybe even show some pics. I really think they don't get it. And, honestly, it sounds like he is making it easier for flipper. Now they don't have to wait on line!
Adam Hughes should just say anything submitted to CGC for Signature Series has to be "Personalized" (inscribed with a dedication) if he wants it to stay with "true fans" who would be enamored by the fact that they have something like that.

Eliminate any and all CGC non-dedicated signatures going forward, then everyone in the industry will know, in the secondary market there will not have any signature series autographs not personalized, and any autograph that is just standalone is fake.

Simple.

For those who "don't like their names on books" tough luck. For those who are frank about wanting and desiring it as an investment for current or future resell, tough luck.

I think artists should start mandating personalization, it's a gracious gesture and helps reduce the amount of reselling, 'tho the new standard may be industry/hobby acceptance of all signatures come with some random person's name and buyers will be okay with that.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #166
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat Monsters View Post
'tho the new standard may be industry/hobby acceptance of all signatures come with some random person's name and buyers will be okay with that.

That's exactly what will happen. In fact, just last week I bought a book for $5 out of collection because it was signed by Grant Morrison. It's personalized "To Richie" I think, - Grant Morrison

He is NOT an easy signature to get, especially now, so I didn't mind the personalization on the book, heck, I can't even remember what book it is. It didn't matter to me, I just wanted his signature for my collection.

Facilitating signings has gotten more difficult for me over the last year and I've questioned not doing them anymore as they're more trouble for me than just grading books, and to just concentrate on pressing/grading and leave the signings alone. Plus, you have a company called Celebrity Authentics who are trying to monopolize the entire CGC/signing game and they have much deeper pockets than I and I really can't compete as I'm just a little hobby guy

Last edited by IndySportsCards; 05-10-2017 at 09:51 PM.
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #167
Cyber Warrior

Hmmm.. could be good and bad. Bad for any book going forward, but increases all my past unpersonalized book values.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #168
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Hmmm.. could be good and bad. Bad for any book going forward, but increases all my past unpersonalized book values.
It's not like "AH!" takes a long time per book though.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #169
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat Monsters View Post
Adam Hughes should just say anything submitted to CGC for Signature Series has to be "Personalized" (inscribed with a dedication) if he wants it to stay with "true fans" who would be enamored by the fact that they have something like that.

Eliminate any and all CGC non-dedicated signatures going forward, then everyone in the industry will know, in the secondary market there will not have any signature series autographs not personalized, and any autograph that is just standalone is fake.

Simple.

For those who "don't like their names on books" tough luck. For those who are frank about wanting and desiring it as an investment for current or future resell, tough luck.

I think artists should start mandating personalization, it's a gracious gesture and helps reduce the amount of reselling, 'tho the new standard may be industry/hobby acceptance of all signatures come with some random person's name and buyers will be okay with that.
As somebody who doesn't collect signed books, that is an easy opinion for you to have. Personally, I don't tell other people the right way to collect, since collecting is such a personal hobby.

I collect signed books and have no interest in personalization. I want a signature, not a note. I'm happy to wait on line, Im happy to pay the CGC fee, and I'm happy to adhere to limits. I'm not interested in using a third party to get my CGC signature (meeting the guy and bonding with other fans on the line are part of the experience), and I'm not interested in a personal note on the cover. Those things will just turn me away from being a fan.

If he wants to limit flipper it's easy... make it easier for your fans to get CGC SS books. If supply outweighs demand, flippers move on to where there is money to be made. Do they not understand that the people buying these books from the flipper are fans that can't get the signatures themselves???
Old 05-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #170
Cyber Warrior

Exactly. And that seems to be right around the time he started all this flipper talk, when he started shortening his appearances and signings I guess due to his commitment with the Betty and Veronica title. He's making it harder for anyone to get a signature. Signing 1 hour a day and cutting his convention stay in half is super limited for fans.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:28 AM   #171
thoscase69

Cyber, do you know if he will still allow CGC to witness his $40 quickie sketches at his table?
thoscase69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #172
Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoscase69 View Post
Cyber, do you know if he will still allow CGC to witness his $40 quickie sketches at his table?
They are trying something different with the head sketches this year. There will be two different head sketch sessions, one with a CGC witness and one without a cgc witness. Unwitnessed head sketches will be $40 and witnessed head sketches will be $80.

Once they post a schedule with times I'll post it up here.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #173
marino13

I was there (at Adam Hughes' table) when one of the known "mule runner" was there with his little kid - a couple years back.

"My son would love a Harley Quinn, please."

"What is his name?" - so he can sign it to the kid.

"Hmmm, can you just sign without my kid name?"

That was when Adam joked -- "Maybe I just sign it to EBAY instead".

So, "yeah, good story bruh" to all of the "this is for my personal collection and I don't have intention to sell." stories.

Everyone been making money off of Adam and among other artists, now they just want a piece of that pie.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #174
kaboom

I don't have a problem with Hughes charging more for his signature for grading purposes. However, I do not like to have books i get signed personalized. While I have a lot of Hughes signed books in my collection, and I have no intention of selling them, but nothing is going to be mine forever. I just had the same conversation with another artist recently. He asked if I wanted to have it made out to me. I said no. He said have you even read the book? I said yes and went into detail about not only that issue but his other works as well as I considered myself a fan of his. I said that once I pass away, I know my wife won't keep them, and I would rather her try to sell something with out "to Bob" on the cover.
kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #175
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino13 View Post
Everyone been making money off of Adam and among other artists, now they just want a piece of that pie.
But they've already had their pie, they've already been paid for their work. What people do afterwards is not something they're entitled to be part of IMHO.

When you buy a car, and then race it in a race, is Ford entitled to a portion of your winnings? I mean, they made the car you won with.