eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 05-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #176
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom View Post
I don't have a problem with Hughes charging more for his signature for grading purposes. However, I do not like to have books i get signed personalized. While I have a lot of Hughes signed books in my collection, and I have no intention of selling them, but nothing is going to be mine forever. I just had the same conversation with another artist recently. He asked if I wanted to have it made out to me. I said no. He said have you even read the book? I said yes and went into detail about not only that issue but his other works as well as I considered myself a fan of his. I said that once I pass away, I know my wife won't keep them, and I would rather her try to sell something with out "to Bob" on the cover.
Perhaps they should start pre-interviewing people before you get tickets, and have a Green "TRUE-FAN" bracelet you can qualify for, and a Red "FLIPPER BASTARD" bracelet. This will help Adam as well as other artists quickly identify and sign your books accordingly.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #177
Mysterio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
But they've already had their pie, they've already been paid for their work. What people do afterwards is not something they're entitled to be part of IMHO.

When you buy a car, and then race it in a race, is Ford entitled to a portion of your winnings? I mean, they made the car you won with.
I agree with this 100%. They get paid for the work they do for the company, the side sketches/commissions pre-show, then rake it in at conventions. And because they're usually dealing in cash at shows, I wonder how much of that income is truly being reported? If they want to "stop the flippers," then they need to just stop doing shows altogether.

Quote:
Perhaps they should start pre-interviewing people before you get tickets, and have a Green "TRUE-FAN" bracelet you can qualify for, and a Red "FLIPPER BASTARD" bracelet. This will help Adam as well as other artists quickly identify and sign your books accordingly.
This reminded me of the time I went to Houston to watch my beloved Mets play the Astros (this was the year after Beltran spurned Houston and signed the big contract with the Mets). Here I am in full Mets attire, getting autographs by the Mets players, having a great time. My FIL had gotten us good tickets through his company right behind the Astros dugout. I tried to get some Astros autographs for a good friend of mine, but because I wasn't a "true fan" of their team, they ignored me.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #178
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino13 View Post
I was there (at Adam Hughes' table) when one of the known "mule runner" was there with his little kid - a couple years back.

"My son would love a Harley Quinn, please."

"What is his name?" - so he can sign it to the kid.

"Hmmm, can you just sign without my kid name?"

That was when Adam joked -- "Maybe I just sign it to EBAY instead".

So, "yeah, good story bruh" to all of the "this is for my personal collection and I don't have intention to sell." stories.

Everyone been making money off of Adam and among other artists, now they just want a piece of that pie.
Typical....

Nobody is saying that every person on line is a fan. The point is, he is going to punish his fans to stop the non-fans. Well, that doesn't make sense when you think about it...
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #179
Stat Monsters

How about just stop signing completely if it bothers Adam so much. He owes nobody anything.,

Just offer photo ops, handshakes and conversations.

Fans are not owed anything.

Look at those actors, singers and athletes who refuse to sing in public.

Look at comic con when Baby Babba Fett or some random B List actor charges for both an autograph and or a photo.

However...

Adam should acknowledge that the flippers sometimes helps him out in terms of buying pure volume where fans buy one issue, flippers buy in volume, and then flippers drive value and prices up causing a surge in demand for future releases, continuing the momentum of increasing the sales chain. His royalty checks may diminish if flippers go away too.

So, in certain terms these non-fans helps his "brand" by maintaining that prestige and perception of value at times, I think too.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #180
Spider-Fan

If he wants to stop public signings, that is his prerogative and I have no issue with it.

Anything he does to stop flippers is only going to hurt his fans. That is my point, and my issue with publicly announcing that he is implementing new practices for that reason.

Flippers will move on to the next guy. They will suffer no loss. There is always easy money to be had, if you know where to look for it. Only the "true fans" will suffer.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #181
marino13

So, that explained why JSC's exclusives are not SOLD OUT like it used to.

I get it now.

Without "flippers", "true fans" will get their hands on "sought after books that will not increase in the near or far future."

Got it!
Old 05-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #182
marino13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat Monsters View Post
How about just stop signing completely if it bothers Adam so much. He owes nobody anything.,

Just offer photo ops, handshakes and conversations.

Fans are not owed anything.

Look at those actors, singers and athletes who refuse to sing in public.

Look at comic con when Baby Babba Fett or some random B List actor charges for both an autograph and or a photo.

However...

Adam should acknowledge that the flippers sometimes helps him out in terms of buying pure volume where fans buy one issue, flippers buy in volume, and then flippers drive value and prices up causing a surge in demand for future releases, continuing the momentum of increasing the sales chain. His royalty checks may diminish if flippers go away too.

So, in certain terms these non-fans helps his "brand" by maintaining that prestige and perception of value at times, I think too.

All logical points -- but then again, we all know logic doesnt work when "chest pounding true fans" got involved.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #183
kaboom

Quote:
I guess the question comes down to, who is to say what you do with an item once you purchase it. I have bought and had books signed to sell, I have bought books and had signed to keep. If Hughes does not want to sign that is up to him, but listing some one as a "flipper bastard" is a little harsh. I am sure people on here and elsewhere do flip books to buy other books, doesn't make one a bastard, sure there are people who make their living off selling signed books, but that is because their is a demand there for their books and signatures.
kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #184
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom View Post
I guess the question comes down to, who is to say what you do with an item once you purchase it. I have bought and had books signed to sell, I have bought books and had signed to keep. If Hughes does not want to sign that is up to him, but listing some one as a "flipper bastard" is a little harsh. I am sure people on here and elsewhere do flip books to buy other books, doesn't make one a bastard, sure there are people who make their living off selling signed books, but that is because their is a demand there for their books and signatures.
I don't think so either, I was just using an outlandish derogatory word as they must be viewed that way by some who want to limit the activity.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #185
Cyber Warrior

Some MegaCon commissions..

Old 05-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #186
Lockford88

Fingers crossed he gets to mine!!!! But if not there's always next time!
Lockford88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #187
rokstarr99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post

Oh My!!
rokstarr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #188
Mysterio

That photo represents $6K. I wish I could draw.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #189
Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockford88 View Post
Fingers crossed he gets to mine!!!! But if not there's always next time!
Good luck. If any go unclaimed, pick me up one
Old 05-23-2017, 11:07 PM   #190
marino13

Quote:

If he would have let me -- non-attendee to participate -- one of them black cat would have been mine!
Old 05-24-2017, 01:17 AM   #191
Master Shake

Looks like Emma Stone with bigger boobs!
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:15 AM   #192
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
That photo represents $6K. I wish I could draw.
Yeah, but a lot of people can draw really well and still not pull down that kind of money for a few convention sketches.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #193
Mysterio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Yeah, but a lot of people can draw really well and still not pull down that kind of money for a few convention sketches.
True! I should have said "I wish I could draw like Adam Hughes/JSC/Artgerm."
Old 05-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #194
Cyber Warrior

No flipping

Last edited by Cyber Warrior; 05-28-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Cyber Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #195
Spider-Fan

You just won't get as much

Another reason I hate personalization. Artists have thier signature down, but when you ask them to write something else it often looks "not artistic". A couple lowered case letters thrown in just for fun. Really takes away from the eye appeal, in my opinion. Not my commission though. Hope CASEE + Tim are happy with it.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #196
Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
You just won't get as much

Another reason I hate personalization. Artists have thier signature down, but when you ask them to write something else it often looks "not artistic". A couple lowered case letters thrown in just for fun. Really takes away from the eye appeal, in my opinion. Not my commission though. Hope CASEE + Tim are happy with it.
Yeah, I was going to have Adam remark my Harley cover with the Jokers laugh on it "HaHa Ha". I thought it would be pretty cool since it's also his initials backwards but decided not to last minute. I pictured him messing that up somehow lol.

Nobody steal that idea, I still may do it one day

Two more.. looks like another is personalized.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #197
CMS1

That spiral one is cool. You don't see that character very often.
CMS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #198
Cyber Warrior

Last edited by Cyber Warrior; 05-28-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Cyber Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:53 AM   #199
bird

Quote:
Yeah, I was going to have Adam remark my Harley cover with the Jokers laugh on it "HaHa Ha". I thought it would be pretty cool since it's also his initials backwards but decided not to last minute. I pictured him messing that up somehow lol.

Nobody steal that idea, I still may do it one day

Two more.. looks like another is personalized.

I don't see any personalizations. Of course it could be behind the blackout stuff on Dejah Thoris...is that why it is blacked out, to hide the personalization? ;-)
bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #200
Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird View Post
I don't see any personalizations. Of course it could be behind the blackout stuff on Dejah Thoris...is that why it is blacked out, to hide the personalization? ;-)
Yeah you're right.. I'm not familiar with the character, I thought EJAH was the customers name. The thumb is covering the D.