eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 01-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #26
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbooksgo View Post
Looking closer at your pics I would say 8.0 after a press. Definitely a good buy at $20.
Yeah my instinct was that it looks like an 8.0, but I'm downgrading to a 7.5 just because of the shear number of spine ticks. Due to my limited experience, I'm not really sure how CGC handles a case like this one.

Thanks for the tip about magazine. I knew this one got slabbed as a magazine due to its size (it's huge!) but I didn't realize it would be separated from comics I subbed together.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #27
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Thanks for the tip about magazine. I knew this one got slabbed as a magazine due to its size (it's huge!) but I didn't realize it would be separated from comics I subbed together.
Just wanted to also tell you that Magazines take 2-4x as long to grade. CGC has to change the slabbing process for Magazine size and tend to only do that maybe once a month, so it adds extra delay to those books. Great pickup! It's been on my hit list for a while.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:11 AM   #28
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Just wanted to also tell you that Magazines take 2-4x as long to grade. CGC has to change the slabbing process for Magazine size and tend to only do that maybe once a month, so it adds extra delay to those books. Great pickup! It's been on my hit list for a while.
Thanks Indy.

It hasn't been on my list for long, but its not coming off yet either. I will continue to look for a higher grade copy (9.0+) to get signed by Eastman and Laird and slabbed SS. Eastman is attainable, but both might be tough. A triple of Eastman, Laird and Stephen Amell would be an incredibly sexy addition to my PC, and my girlfriend would love to meet him again. I actually asked her if she wanted to get this one signed by Amell yesterday, since he was signing at the convention where I bought it, but she turned it down. I don't recall seeing a CGC or CSBS rep there anyway.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #29
Spider-Fan

I went a little nuts on ebay this past Sunday. Not complaining necessarily, but for some reason I spent quite a bit more on ebay than I normally would on comic books. I was a little bummed when I saw the 3x ebay bucks promotion on Monday... but I guess that is just the way it is.

So, I kinda have five streams I'm pursuing with my collection. I think five is too many, but it is what it is.
1. Carnage - Trying to put together a complete collection of every book he has appeared in
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Grew up on the cartoon and action figures, decided I wanted to put together a small collection of keys
3. Spider-Man Silver, Bronze, and Copper Age keys
4. JSC Covers - focusing on Black Cat, Mary Jane, and other Spider-Man characters
5. Harley Quinn

I made progress in three of the five this past weekend.

I picked up my first Harley Quinn key. I don't pick up a ton of slabs, but I thought in this case it was warranted. This is one of the few 9.8s that I consider in my acceptable spending limit. I think I did pretty well, but would love your opinions. CPG is $504, which is a joke compared to completed ebay listings. Completed ebay listings available are: $160 BO accepted ($140-$142), $145, $150, $210, $140, $188, $140, $238 BO accepted ($160-$188), $180, $138, $267 BO accepted ($210-$230), $140, $160, $210 BO accepted ($190-$200). At $125, I know I'm the lowest of recent ebay sales. There are a lot, so I feel pretty comfortable, but just curious what anybody who has access to longer sales records thinks. I haven't been watching it for long, but I wanted to snag one before while it was still in my price range. $125 was my max, so I just got it. I think it was like $1.50 under my max bid.

This next one I'm having a little buyers remorse over. I picked up another copy of Amazing Spider-Man 194. It is a very nice copy, but I think I may fall short of what I was hoping to receive. The listing had nice pictures, but no grade or descriptive information about the condition so I was taking a big chance with my bid. I initially thought the book might grade at 9.0 or 9.2. Corners are sharp with "ever so slight blunting" on the outside corners only. There are four minor (less than 1/4") color breaking ticks on the spine. The big unknown for me was some light scuffing above the comics code stamp, and a color breaking scratch of some sort to the left of "YOUR PATH!". Additionally there are some spine ticks and indents that do not break color but will probably need to be pressed out. However, on further inspection I noted two additional minor but possibly color breaking spine ticks as well as some extremely minor wear on the outside edge of the front cover that would probably qualify as tears less than 1/16".

Would love some input from those of you who are experienced graders. It definitely presents much better than my other copy, but I also spent twice as much. I've read that, unofficially, four spine ticks is the most you can have and still receive a 9.0 or above. I don't know if that only applies to moderns, or if it applies to Bronze Age books also. That is the primary driver for the buyers remorse. I spent nearly $100, and I could have bought a slabbed 8.0 or even an 8.5 in that ballpark. Factor in what I would have to pay to have this book graded, and I could have purchased a slabbed 9.0 or 9.2. So, yeah, buyers remorse. It was almost instant when I won the auction, but I still had hope of a 9.4 for some reason. Oh well... You win some, you lose some, right?

Anyway, here are some pictures for those of you that would do me the service of taking a look and offering up your opinions.

A couple TMNT keys on the way.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #30
SlackerBoy9

As I learned from my last submissions the interior pages make a big difference being white or off white
SlackerBoy9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #31
Spider-Fan

The pages are off-white to cream, which I believe is acceptable for a 9.2 or below grade on a book from this era. Maybe I'm wrong...

I am pretty mad and embarrassed though. I noted mentally that the pages were off-white to cream and otherwise in pretty pristine shape. I did a second look though and realized that I missed some torn pages in my first evaluation. Initially I did a detailed evaluation of the first few pages and since they were in such great shape I then just skimmed the rest of the book to check for missing pages, cut-outs, centerfold attachment, etc... Anyway, when I looked at it again I noticed there was an entire section of pages that has a tear in the top margin near the spine. I was pretty furious. I will upload some pictures later tonight when I get home from work.

I will definitely need some feedback. I know grades as high as 9.4 allow for some amount of interior tears. I'm well beyond what would be graded even VF/NM. I'm thinking right now my highest possible grade is VF+, but I don't know exactly how margin tears are treated. I guess my question is, is "minor interior tears at the margin" include any tears that do not enter the printed area? In my opinion these tears are pretty bad, but I may be over reacting.

Anyway... Pics to follow later tonight.

As always, thank you to everybody who is willing to share experiences and help us all get improve.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:40 AM   #32
SlackerBoy9

Quote:
The pages are off-white to cream, which I believe is acceptable for a 9.2 or below grade on a book from this era. Maybe I'm wrong...

I am pretty mad and embarrassed though. I noted mentally that the pages were off-white to cream and otherwise in pretty pristine shape. I did a second look though and realized that I missed some torn pages in my first evaluation. Initially I did a detailed evaluation of the first few pages and since they were in such great shape I then just skimmed the rest of the book to check for missing pages, cut-outs, centerfold attachment, etc... Anyway, when I looked at it again I noticed there was an entire section of pages that has a tear in the top margin near the spine. I was pretty furious. I will upload some pictures later tonight when I get home from work.

I will definitely need some feedback. I know grades as high as 9.4 allow for some amount of interior tears. I'm well beyond what would be graded even VF/NM. I'm thinking right now my highest possible grade is VF+, but I don't know exactly how margin tears are treated. I guess my question is, is "minor interior tears at the margin" include any tears that do not enter the printed area? In my opinion these tears are pretty bad, but I may be over reacting.

Anyway... Pics to follow later tonight.

As always, thank you to everybody who is willing to share experiences and help us all get improve.
I'm not sure how loose they are with older books . Pjray might have more insight on this
SlackerBoy9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #33
pjray55

Here are the GPA numbers for your Harley #1...

2014 $131
2015 $174
12 Month $171
90 Day $161
Last Sale $130

So I think you did well at $125 and I imagine the book will bounce back up when we get into tax return season and further past the holidays.

With the interior tears I cant recall having a book to sub with that defect but you have to keep in mind there is a good chance they may be production related in which case you wouldn't get dinged. From what I read though the drop if it isn't production is usually one or two grades (not necessarily full points so if it were otherwise a 9.6 you might then get a 9.4 or 9.2).
pjray55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #34
pjray55

and I forgot to mention I really like your collection focus, five may be too many in your mind but it also may provide some diversity and excitement that will keep your collection feeling new and exciting because with a single focus sometimes it can feel burdensome or stale

Good luck!
pjray55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #35
rw0926

I can't help on the grading but I have to say that Harley is saweet so nice pickup on that
rw0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #36
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjray55 View Post
and I forgot to mention I really like your collection focus, five may be too many in your mind but it also may provide some diversity and excitement that will keep your collection feeling new and exciting because with a single focus sometimes it can feel burdensome or stale

Good luck!
Thanks for the info and the sentiment. Didn't think of production on the tears, but I was really shocked how it impacted a section and not the whole book from the looks of them.

I don't think 5 would be too many if my collecting habits were focused. The problem is I also collect original art and trading cards, and each of those are similarly multifaceted Its fun though! And that is what matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw0926 View Post
I can't help on the grading but I have to say that Harley is saweet so nice pickup on that
Thanks. I was really pleased my bid won. I had bid on a number of auctions over the past few months and had no luck. The only good thing was that I was never that second highest guy that lost by $1. I was always 3rd or 4th and at least $15 from the winner, so the losses didn't sting very much.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #37
Spider-Fan

The tear impacts the entire second half of the book, from the centerfold to the last page. Doesn't include the back cover. You may be right, this tear definitely could have occurred during the assembly process.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:24 PM   #38
Spider-Fan

The latest edition to my JSC collection arrived today. It was an impulse buy at $36 delivered. I have been sticking to the Spidey related covers for the most part, but I made an exception for this one since it was cheap and I have a bit of a mermaid collection

I was a bit disappointed when it arrived with a big crack on the back of the case. Oh well... It was packed really really well, so I'm chalking it up to the seller not feeling it necessary to disclose. I'll live based on the price I paid, but I probably won't be a return customer.

Some of my other mermaids And a few gorgons. They are like land mermaids!

Old 02-12-2016, 12:00 AM   #39
rw0926

I love JSC stuff so nice addition to your collection also the price you paid sounds good to me
rw0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #40
Spider-Fan

Did end up making it to the monthly comic show in Clifton. I really enjoyed the show. For a small local monthly show (with no admission fee), it really offered a lot. There was a local artist selling prints. There was an auction. Vendors had everything from 3/$1 bins to $1000+ slabs. It was clearly an "everybody knows your name" type of local show. Seemed like more conversing going on that buying

I spent a total of $31 on comics and another $10 donation for a couple Dr. Who cat toys. I picked up some books I need for my Carnage run. I also picked up a few JSCs I already have. Been buying some of these older ones in number lately, in hopes that one of them will be a strong 9.8 contender after they get pressed.

$5 - These all came out of a $2 box. I was happy to pay $8, but didn't argue when the dealer told me $5. The ASM 360 (1st cameo app Carnage) is a $5+ on its own. Wish I got to that box sooner. I was told it was full when the show opened, but it was done to about 1/3 when I looked though it. Left a couple decent books behind too.

$15 - Another very generous dealer, basically gave me the 3 $1 books in the bottom row for free.

$10

$1 - Not on strategy, but I'm pretty sure I have the rest of this mini and just missing number 1. Being the red foil variant was a bonus.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #41
daxwills

Quote:

$1 - Not on strategy, but I'm pretty sure I have the rest of this mini and just missing number 1. Being the red foil variant was a bonus.
I could be completely wrong since I'm going on memory and it's been a few decades but wasn't the regular cover the red one? I vaguely remember a gold one and a black one as well?
daxwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #42
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxwills View Post
I could be completely wrong since I'm going on memory and it's been a few decades but wasn't the regular cover the red one? I vaguely remember a gold one and a black one as well?
You are 100% correct. I thought there was also a regular "non foil" cover, but I am wrong according to the Internet. No biggie. I would have paid a dollar for the regular cover, and apparently I did
Old 02-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #43
daxwills

Quote:
You are 100% correct. I thought there was also a regular "non foil" cover, but I am wrong according to the Internet. No biggie. I would have paid a dollar for the regular cover, and apparently I did
I vaguely remember the series. Wasn't bad from what I recall.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #44
CMS1

Quote:
Did end up making it to the monthly comic show in Clifton. I really enjoyed the show. For a small local monthly show (with no admission fee), it really offered a lot. There was a local artist selling prints. There was an auction. Vendors had everything from 3/$1 bins to $1000+ slabs. It was clearly an "everybody knows your name" type of local show. Seemed like more conversing going on that buying

I spent a total of $31 on comics and another $10 donation for a couple Dr. Who cat toys. I picked up some books I need for my Carnage run. I also picked up a few JSCs I already have. Been buying some of these older ones in number lately, in hopes that one of them will be a strong 9.8 contender after they get pressed.
Glad you were able to pick up some nice stuff. After going to a couple shows you figure out most of the vendors and what they normally have. I usually try to hit up the same ones right in the beginning knowing that they normally have good stuff a good prices and then work my way out from there.
CMS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #45
Spider-Fan

I subbed 5 books at NJ Comic Expo back in November and they arrived yesterday. The good news is that the 2 I wanted for my PC both came back 9.8.

The bad news is that the 3 I subbed to sell and cover the costs came back and 9.6, 9.6, and 9.4 (ouch!). I'm actually feeling pretty lucky since I have no confidence in my ability to pick out a 9.8 from a 9.6, and the Comic Con Box variants typically aren't protected all that well. If you have an account with CGC, can you look up grader notes on any slab, or just the ones you subbed? If its any, and somebody doesn't mind looking up the grader notes, I'd love to have them.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:20 PM   #46
daxwills

No pictures of the other 3 books?
Old 02-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #47
Spider-Fan

Quote:
No pictures of the other 3 books?
I just finished posting them in the BST section

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/c...l#post10515553
Old 02-16-2016, 09:52 PM   #48
daxwills

It took me several submissions to learn what bgs looks for in cards. Now I'm pretty good at it. No idea what they look for in comics. Super girl cover is really cool though.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #49
Spider-Fan

Quote:
It took me several submissions to learn what bgs looks for in cards. Now I'm pretty good at it. No idea what they look for in comics. Super girl cover is really cool though.
Yeah... there is a learning curve, and I'll figure it out eventually. I don't intend to sub a ton of moderns with the exception of signed books and exclusivses. Others, I feel like I can buy 9.8s for a price that makes it kinda not worth the risk to sub them myself.

The Jonboy cover is nice. If it was Harley or Black Cat or MJ, it would have stayed in my collection. Surprised to see that variant is such a dog on ebay

The Coipel was in my VIP bag at the con where I subbed them. I guess I just didn't give it a proper once over. I was kind of an impulse sub
Old 02-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #50
Spider-Fan

Two of my more recent pick-ups. Grabbed the HQ Bombshells variant when ebay was running a 5x ebay bucks promo. Would like to pick-up 9.8s of them all. Price was right on the TMNT Adventures #1. I'd love to upgrade to a 9.8, but not loving the price of a book like that right now. I figure at $10 for the book and $18 to sub, I'm at $28 minimum + shipping and fees. For $31 + shipping, I'm pleased with a 9.4.

Not pictured, I recently picked up a small lot of TMNT books on an auction. The auction wasn't described very well, but I saw a few early books I wanted for my collection, mostly later printing variants including #1 4th and 5th printings. Turned out to be a full run 1-14, plus about another dozen miscellaneous books. Condition is not great, but not bad either. Mostly probably in the VF to VF/NM range. I think I did pretty well on it, overall. Will eventually get some pics up. Also have a #1 4th printing variant CGC 9.6 on the way.