2018 bowman chrome

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 06-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #176
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
Wow great stuff, I've been eyeing those Electra books.. they're going for cheap right now.

Spine inserts look great as well.
Thanks. You know how much the Elektra's cost to purchase and grade. Feel free to make a reasonable offer that works out for both of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardinalfan View Post
Great pickups!!
Thanks you.

Hoping to hit a local show today also, so maybe another post later
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #177
Spider-Fan

Was a bit disappointed when I walked through the doors to this show today. It was advertised to have "over 30 dealers" but realistically had less than 10 comic dealers. In a quick walk through, there were hardly any graded books on the walls and basically no dealers with hot moderns on the walls. The first table of long boxes I started looking through was full of low grade raw keys that were priced like they were flawless NM+. Made it about half way through a long box before I moved on. Started going through ASM long boxes on another table. The books were in better shape, but equally over-priced. Picked out a book that I'm pretty sure was priced incorrectly (had two copies of ASM 360, the worse copy was priced $15 and the better at $5 with a space between the $ and the 5). Picked out two cheap non-key ASMs, paid, and moved on. Figured, "I drove an hour to get here, at least I bought something." Perused the other dealers but didn't see anything that interested me enough to spend time digging through the boxes. Walked over to the last table of long boxes I hadn't stopped at. From afar, this table looked terrible. The boxes were beat up, there was a mix of books that were loose, just bagged, or bagged and boarded. Needless to say I had been avoiding it, assuming it was heavily picked through and left with nothing but beat up readers. Anyway, the dealer said everything on the table was 1/2 off the marked price so I started looking. Coincidentally, the first box I looked in had a few Carnage books that were in great shape and the price was right too. There must of been about 20 long boxes on the table and there was no rhyme or reason to the order of the books. Everything from New 52 to golden age mixed all together. A few hours later I emerged with $78.50 worth of books that he gave me for $75. Called it a win for the day Stopped at one last dealer that had like 4 half filled short boxes on the table, picked out two more Spidey books and was on my way.

Some early Carnage and Cleatus Cassidy appearances, $5 or $6 each except the 359s.

A bunch of 'Maximum Carnage' books for $1 or $2 each. Mostly really high grade. Trying to upgrade to a 9.4 or better set. Would like a graded 9.4 or better run of this story, not seeing slabs come up for sale very often on ebay.

A few random Carnage appearances I needed to fill my run.

Some non-Carnage Spidey goodness Coincidentally I picked up an ASM 229 on FCBD so it was very happy to snag a 230 to finish that story.

A few fun readers
Old 06-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #178
stlcardinalfan

Nice additions to the collection!!

My Want Lists: http://stlcardinalfan.webs.com/

My Photobucket: http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/stlcardinalfan/
stlcardinalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #179
CMS1

Was that the show in PA? I was going to go until I checked their website and only saw a few dealers listed.
CMS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #180
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS1 View Post
Was that the show in PA? I was going to go until I checked their website and only saw a few dealers listed.
Sorry for the late reply. Didn't see your message. Based on the pics above, looks like I'm closing down my photobucket account. Received a bunch of stuff somthismismdo for an update today or maybe Tuesday if I don't get to it.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #181
Spider-Fan

Went to Garden State Comic Fest yesterday. Was super excited by the guest list so I just got a pass for Saturday to dig through boxes. Picked up a bunch of books all for $5 or less. Also dropped off a CGC submission.

First appearances of Sid Jones and Rat King

First and second full appearance of Cletus Kasady

Cameo, second and third full appearance of Carnage

More of the same

Origin of Tombstone

These just look fun

The con was OK. Apparently they are moving to Atlantic City next year, so unless they secure a few big creators I will not be making the trip.

Lets see how long Imgur supports images before they decide if photobucket can do it, so can they... Super easy to use though.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #182
CMS1

Nice pickups. You have been killing it lately in the spidey department. I was there both days this year and thought last year was a better. I hope it does not move the Atlantic city next year. Where it is now is nice an convenient and both of the show runners are North Jersey guys.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #183
stlcardinalfan

Awesome pickups!!

My Want Lists: http://stlcardinalfan.webs.com/

My Photobucket: http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/stlcardinalfan/
stlcardinalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #184
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Nice pickups. You have been killing it lately in the spidey department. I was there both days this year and thought last year was a better. I hope it does not move the Atlantic city next year. Where it is now is nice an convenient and both of the show runners are North Jersey guys.
My information came from the woman putting on the bracelets and seemed reliable. But she said there would be a different con held at the rink next year, so maybe they just sold the name? I don't know. She did say nobody is supposed to know, so obviously I immediately posted the information on the internet.

They did their first con at the Holiday Inn in Ledgewood, right?

I've been finding a lot of ASM360 lately. Nothing that will hit 9.8, but a lot of 9.2+ books. At $2-$5, I think they are solid buys. Not sure why the first cameo appearance of Carnage isn't valued more. Probably going to sub a few and list them closer to the movie. Hopefully use the profits to upgrade my 361 CGC 9.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardinalfan View Post
Awesome pickups!!
Thanks man
Old 07-10-2017, 09:02 AM   #185
ChristopherZero

I was tempted to go to garden state but it was a trip for me, so I took a pass
But, one of the dealers has been attending Collingswood Auction, so I've been getting my fix there

Amazing spideys btw
Old 07-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #186
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherZero View Post
I was tempted to go to garden state but it was a trip for me, so I took a pass
But, one of the dealers has been attending Collingswood Auction, so I've been getting my fix there

Amazing spideys btw
I lived about a mile from Mennan Arena. Moves to Piscataway right before the first show there. It's been an interesting few years. Last year was the highlight for me, strictly do to Kevin Eastman being the headliner. Not often you get access to a creator like him at such a small event. This year Finch was the biggest deal, but honestly he has done several of the smaller shows in the area so not really a huge get in my eyes. Made it difficult to overcome the kinda poor logistical set-up of the show. Think I walked away with enough books to make the $35 entry fee worth it (saved $12 on shipping my CGC order, at least).
Old 07-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #187
CMS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I lived about a mile from Mennan Arena. Moves to Piscataway right before the first show there. It's been an interesting few years. Last year was the highlight for me, strictly do to Kevin Eastman being the headliner. Not often you get access to a creator like him at such a small event. This year Finch was the biggest deal, but honestly he has done several of the smaller shows in the area so not really a huge get in my eyes. Made it difficult to overcome the kinda poor logistical set-up of the show. Think I walked away with enough books to make the $35 entry fee worth it (saved $12 on shipping my CGC order, at least).
I think this was either the 4th or 5th show, This is the second year they used both ice rinks. The first year there it was only one ice rink and I am not sure if it was one or two years in the hotel. When I get a chance I will ask my local store about the move as they set up at the show.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #188
Spider-Fan

I've had a lot of issues with Midtown Comics lately, so I was tentative opening my most recent delivery this morning. When I purchased a few signed comics that had in stock last week, I also added a copy of ASM 601 (Campbell Mary Jane cover) grade VG they had in stock for $17.60. Just opened the package. Overall it's a great looking book, besides about a dozen color breaking spine ticks and Campbell's signature scrawled on the cover in magic marker.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #189
Spider-Fan

Despite being thousands of miles away, I did manage to snag a few things from SDCC and was happy to find them waiting when I got home today =)

TMNT Usagi Yojimbo (one copy signed by Stan Sakai), a GORGEOUS Dean Yeagle prelim sketch, and the only JSC Convention Exclusive I wanted for my PC. The only thing I'm missing was the experience of being there
Old 07-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #190
CMS1

Quote:
Despite being thousands of miles away, I did manage to snag a few things from SDCC and was happy to find them waiting when I got home today =)

TMNT Usagi Yojimbo (one copy signed by Stan Sakai), a GORGEOUS Dean Yeagle prelim sketch, and the only JSC Convention Exclusive I wanted for my PC. The only thing I'm missing was the experience of being there
Awesome pickups. Usagi was a pretty hot character at the show this year. Stan Sakai his own version of the book that was limited to 500 copies.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:20 PM   #191
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Awesome pickups. Usagi was a pretty hot character at the show this year. Stan Sakai his own version of the book that was limited to 500 copies.
Wish I had known about his. Maybe I could have gotten it. Oh well...
Old 08-26-2017, 10:50 PM   #192
Spider-Fan

My Indigogo TMNT #1 Artisan Edition signed by Kevin Eastman with sketch arrived =) The book is super high quality.

Also got my Jusko Cornerbox Signature Series books. Will update with scans soon.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #193
Spider-Fan

Jusko SS books, as promised. Love these covers. Kinda regret not getting the entire set, but I've found in the long run I'm happier to pick and chose just my favorites. I really wish they had used these images as cornerboxes on subsequent issues of each series, at least for a few months!

My only valid complaint about working through the Desert Wind facilitators was that they didn't respond to my email asking for an update back in July, and didn't respond to me email asking for any grader's notes once the order was done. Pretty typical in my experience, super nice and accommodating when they want your business and much less so once they've got it. I certainly will avoid using a facilitator in the future, if at all possible.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #194
WhatMeWorry

Wow. Awesome set. Congrats on those. Sucks about the 9.6 but still, a gorgeous book.
WhatMeWorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #195
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatMeWorry View Post
Wow. Awesome set. Congrats on those. Sucks about the 9.6 but still, a gorgeous book.
Those are not easy covers. I had a few 9.6's and a 9.4 even after pressing. 9.8's should pull in a premium.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #196
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatMeWorry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Those are not easy covers. I had a few 9.6's and a 9.4 even after pressing. 9.8's should pull in a premium.
Thanks guys

The Spider-Gwens had a lot of spine ticks so I had all 12 books (3 of each) pressed by CCS before grading. Was surprised NONE of the Spider-Gwens hit 9.8, but that's life. At least the worst grade I got back was 9.6, so even with pressing, I should break even or make a small profit.

Examining the books when they returned, I was able to find at least one small color breaking spine tick on each 9.6s. I looked at them pretty closely before signing and didn't see anything that broke color, but that was before they were handled by JJ or the facilitator. No biggie. I was upset at first, but have gotten over it. News that my guaranteed order came in 29/30 9.8 helped brighten my spirits. Those should be delivered on Tuesday or soon after, so another update coming soon!
Old 09-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #197
nino_013

Quote:
My only valid complaint about working through the Desert Wind facilitators was that they didn't respond to my email asking for an update back in July, and didn't respond to me email asking for any grader's notes once the order was done. Pretty typical in my experience, super nice and accommodating when they want your business and much less so once they've got it. I certainly will avoid using a facilitator in the future, if at all possible.
Isnt this the case with most facilitators.. Wish i had a way of getting the stuff i want without having to use them
nino_013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #198
Spider-Fan

Hello CGC delivery =) Now I know how Indy feels when he cracks open a box of 25 9.8s. Its a nice feeling

I would have liked to reserve a few of these for SS grading, but his witnessed signature price is so high combined with the higher CGC SS fee that I just decided to go blue all the way on these.

Stacked books are dupes. Needless to say, I've got quite a few available if anybody is interested. Need to raise some funds for Baltimore Comic Con and NYCC!
Old 09-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #199
DarthRogahn

boom!
Really nice!!
DarthRogahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #200
Spider-Fan

Default Baltimore Comic Con

Had a blast at Baltimore Comic Con this past weekend. Its a con I'd definitely like to attend again in the future.

Spent more than I should have on sketch covers and got a lot of books signed.

Black Cat by Ryan Kincaid - Well known sketch card artist that is slowly breaking into the comic world. He is actually a go to for a lot of people to get their convention sketches colored, but in this case he did everything.

Casey Jones by Ben Biship - This is actually on the back of his Amazing Fantasy retailer exclusive variant cover for Batman TMNT Adventures #1. He said the surface was better than on the sketch cover variant of that issue, which I handed him to do the sketch on. I was a little hesitant to get a sketch on the back cover since I know CGC won't slab the book backwords. DAMN!!! He knocked this one out of the park. I am still thrilled with the result and subbed it anyway.

Batman by Ben Harvey - Ben is another artist that has done some TMNT variant covers for IDW including at least one incentive variant for this series. Real happy with this sketch.

Harley Quinn by Billy Tucci - I really enjoyed the Harley's Little Black Book series, and Tucci did the art for the one featuring the Bombshells version of Harley so I decided I wanted him to do a sketch cover of her. Really pleased with the way this turned out. He was running so late, I closed out my invoice with CGC before he was finished because the convention was over. The book is in really terrific shape though so I'll probably end up sending it in for a green label.

Harley Quinn by John Timms - The current interior artist for the ongoing series. This guy was AWESOME! The classic Harley is mine and the current incarnation was facilitated for a friend. They are also signed by Jimmy and Amanda, and currently with CGC. These both look so amazing in hand... I can't wait to get them back and I don't know how I'm going to give the second one up

A few books I got quad signed by Frank Cho, Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, and John Timms, and submitted to CGC. I had a few others quad signed that I didn't submit, but I also didn't take any pictures of those yet.

Last, but CERTAINLY not least, a Usagi Yojimbo sketch by Stan Sakai in my sketch book. Stan is actually a huge reason I went to this show, and I'm really happy to add him to my book.

Besides a few other triple and quad signed Harley Quinn books, I also had a handful of Skottie Young Marvel variant covers signed and a couple Turtles books by Freddie Williams III. I was really hoping to get a sketch cover done by FWIII but he was unfortunately unable to accommodate at the show. Maybe NYCC? FYI It was news to me... He mentioned DC is doing a sequel to the Batman TMNT crossover.