Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 10-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #201
Spider-Fan

Default NYCC update #1

My first of six invoices arrived at CGC today. 27 books! Luckily that is the biggest one, all Campbell and Artgerm, and almost all dupes so hopefully lots of 9.8s!

Want to show off some of the sketch covers I had done at NYCC.

Casey Jones by Freddie Williams III, cover and interior artist for DC Batman TMNT. Loved the artwork in that series. Looking forward to the sequel. This one is off to CGC and it was the last invoice I closed so probably the last one that will hit.

Harley Quinn by Jon Sommariva, cover and interior artist for IDW Batman TMNT Adventures. Really really loved the Harley Quinn cover he did for #2. Didn't sub this one because it got pretty beat up and CGC still doesn't offer a discounted witnessed by not graded service (kinda like the CSBS 'ART' label, but why limit it to art?).

Harley Quinn by Chad Hardin, interior artist for most (all?) of the New 52 Harley Quinn run. Gave me more of a figure than the example for this price tier showed, so that was nice This one is with Freddie's on route to CGC.

Really pleased with the way each of these came out. All of these guys were great to work with and I would happily work with them again
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:23 PM   #202
IndySportsCards

The Sommariva is my favorite. Awesome.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #203
stlcardinalfan

Awesome stuff!!

My Want Lists: http://stlcardinalfan.webs.com/

My Photobucket: http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/stlcardinalfan/
stlcardinalfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #204
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
The Sommariva is my favorite. Awesome.
Yeah... They are VERY different. Really thrilled with them all. Very very happy with the sketch covers I pursued at the show this year There is one other, but I'm not sure I want to show it... I may unveil it as the final update as I post more of maul haul throughout the week and the weekend, or I may just keep it to myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardinalfan View Post
Awesome stuff!!
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:36 PM   #205
Spider-Fan

Default NYCC update #2

Did a ton of Signature Series submissions at the convention. The following were spread out across 6 invoices.

Signed by Jim Lee

1 Dark Knights Metal 1
1 Dark Knights Metal 2
2 X-Men 4
4 Deadpool 33 Trading Card Cover

Signed by J. Scott Campbell

2 Elektra 1 JSC C
2 Vampirella 1 JSC Artboard
2 Sheena 0 Incentive JSC
1 Ultimate Spider-Man 152
1 Amazing Spider-Man 607
1 Superior Spider-Man 29 La Mole
1 Spider-Man 1 German Variant
2 Renew Your Vows 11 JSC A
5 Renew Your Vows 11 JSC D (1 belongs to BO Cardiac)
2 Spider-Gwen 24 JSC B
5 Spider-Gwen 24 JSC D
2 Spectacular Spider-Man 1 JSC B
2 Spectacular Spider-Man 1 JSC C
2 Champions 1 JSC Spot Color
2 Champions 1 JSC Red
1 Jessica Jones La Mole

Signed by Stanley 'Artgerm' Lau

2 Spectacular Spider-Man 1 Mary Jane Variant Color
2 Spectacular Spider-Man 1 Mary Jane Variant Copic
2 Spectacular Spider-Man 1 Mary Jane Variant B&W
1 Weapons of Mutant Destruction 1 Mary Jane Variant Color
2 Weapons of Mutant Destruction 1 Mary Jane Variant B&W
2 Supergirl 12
1 Supergirl 13

Other

2 Sheena #0 signed by Emanuella Lupacchino & Margaruite Bennett
2 Black Mask FCBD signed by Tyler Boss & Matthew Rosenberg
1 Chad Hardin sketch
1 Freddie Williams III sketch

All the extra/duplicate submissions will become available. Current turnaround time is listed as 25 days, which means I should have them in hand sometime the week of 11/20. Not sure how realistic that is, but I'd be thrilled to have these home before Thanksgiving
Old 10-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #206
DarthRogahn

wow you put in some work at NYCC
Congrats on all of the awesome stuff!
DarthRogahn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #207
digitalbc

All kinds of awesome!
digitalbc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #208
Spider-Fan

Thanks guys. Heading to Eastern State Penitentiary tonight, but maybe tomorrow I can post pictures of all unwitnessed books I had signed for my collection.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:57 PM   #209
yanksfan0134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Thanks guys. Heading to Eastern State Penitentiary tonight, but maybe tomorrow I can post pictures of all unwitnessed books I had signed for my collection.
I went there when I went of vacation back in June. Such a cool place. Hope you have a great time!
Old 10-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #210
Spider-Fan

Default NYCC update #3

Today's update is a small one... Two quick sketches I was able to get in my sketchbook, and they were both free!

Tess Fowler was doing free sketches at the IDW booth to promote the book she is currently working on, Kid Lobotomy. I kept missing her until Sunday. I was happy to be in the right place at the right time, although I would have gladly stood on that line for a free sketch every day. I know her mostly as a sketch card artist, although I don't think she does sketch cards at all anymore.

Terry Dodson is pretty well know for both Black Cat and Harley Quinn, two of my favorite characters to collect, so I'm sure it comes as no surprise that he is one of my favorite cover artists. He was kind enough to do a quick sketch for me in my sketch book. I thought I snapped a picture of him holding it when he was done, but I can't find it. Oh well...

Old 10-15-2017, 11:07 PM   #211
Spider-Fan

Here is a list of books I had signed but not witnessed/graded. For some of them it was because I didn't have a copy in grade-worthy condition, for others it was just a decision not to put another $30+ into the book. Most of these were signed at NYCC, but a couple were signed at Baltimore Comic Con a few weekends ago (or between the two events).

These ones pictured are a few I would have loved to have gotten slabbed, but they are all around 9.2.

Spider-Man #1 (German Edition) signed by J. Scott Campbell; Bombshells #32 signed by Marguerite Bennett and Mirka Adolfo, Justice League #26 signed by Yanick Paquette, Harley Quinn #23 signed by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiottie, Frank Cho, and John Timms

Not Pictured...

DC Batman Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1-6 signed by James Tynion and Freddie Williams
IDW Batman Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #1-6 signed by Jon Sommariva
IDW Star Wars Adventures #1 (and #1 variant) signed by Jon Sommariva and Cavan Scott
Avengers #3 variant signed by Mark Brooks
Robotech #1 signed by Artgerm
Captain Marvel #5 variant signed by Terry Dodson
Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1 signed by Terry Dodson
Spider-Man and the Black Cat #1 signed by Terry Dodson
Uncanny X-Men #21 variant signed by Terry Dodson
4 Kids Walk Into A Bank signed by Matt Rosenberg and Tyler Boss
Harley's Little Black Book #1-6 signed by multiple contributors (Connor, Palmiotti, interior artists)
Multiple issues of Harley Quinn New 52 & Rebirth signed by multiple contributors (Connor, Palmiotti, interior and cover artists)

And I think that will be all for my NYCC updates, at least until my graded books come home.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:50 AM   #212
WhoDatBini2

Great pickups! I especially love that Justice League 26!
Old 10-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #213
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatBini2 View Post
Great pickups! I especially love that Justice League 26!
Thanks. I love that cover. By the time I laid eyes on it, I was only able to get one copy.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #214
CMS1

Nice pickups. Looks like you had a busy con. Did you hit up any of the DC signings? A lot of the artist there did free sketches.
CMS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #215
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS1 View Post
Nice pickups. Looks like you had a busy con. Did you hit up any of the DC signings? A lot of the artist there did free sketches.
Busier than usual actually, without my girlfriend. I had forgotten what it was like to do NYCC on your own.

I went by the first day and took a picture of the schedule, but never actual tried to get any wristbands. Didn't do any of the Marvel signings either. Those areas are so crazy during the show, I tend not to have a ton of patience for them. Any idea what kind of limits they have on those. Is it just 1 book per person? 3? 5? I've always been curious.

There is always next year though. What kind of sketches did you need? Just little remarks on books they were signing, or if you brought a blank cover did they actual draw a full sketch on it? Really anything is cool. I love when an artist is willing to take the time to do a little bit more than sign thier name.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #216
CMS1

Quote:
Busier than usual actually, without my girlfriend. I had forgotten what it was like to do NYCC on your own.

I went by the first day and took a picture of the schedule, but never actual tried to get any wristbands. Didn't do any of the Marvel signings either. Those areas are so crazy during the show, I tend not to have a ton of patience for them. Any idea what kind of limits they have on those. Is it just 1 book per person? 3? 5? I've always been curious.

There is always next year though. What kind of sketches did you need? Just little remarks on books they were signing, or if you brought a blank cover did they actual draw a full sketch on it? Really anything is cool. I love when an artist is willing to take the time to do a little bit more than sign thier name.
I only went to three signings. First was at Image for Todd McFarlane and his was only 1 item for person no cgc and no pics. The other two I went two were both for Jock at the 2000 AD booth. He would sign what every you had and do a quick head sketch for free or if you purchased a poster from the booth and would do a a full figure sketch for you.

As for marvel I had no clue they were even having signings because I could not find a schedule anywhere. I did not get anything from DC although I tried for the Frank Miller signing and missed the wrist band by ten people. The sketches I saw coming out of the DC booth ranged from really quick head sketches to somewhat detailed head sketches done wither on DC provided paper or something of your own.

I will be hitting up the DC signings next year for sure as they always seem to have a pretty good line up. As for Marvel it just seems like they really are more focused on their TV shows at NYCC rather than comics like the other companies.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #217
Spider-Fan

Marvel didn't put their schedule out until late Thursday. They had to revise it to remove any punished related stuff and apparently that took longer than 2 minutes for some reason.

I will definitely have to consider DC signings next year. I just hate to carry extra books and then not get into the signing.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #218
Spider-Fan

Got my CGC Signature Series submission from Baltimore Comic Con =)

Still in love with this sketch and very pleased it graded at 9.8.

Love these covers by Frank Cho. These are all quad signed by Cho, Conner, Palmiotti, and Timms. I was bummed the #14 landed at 9.6 and relieved that #17 & $18 hit 9.8 (since I busted those two out of 9.8 blue label slabs to get them signed). When I spoke with Frank at the show he told me he was just wrapping up a deal to continue doing Harley Quinn covers through the end of 2017. I hope he has been able to extend that contract into 2018. Loving his covers!!!

And last, but not least, the Timm sketches The one with a splash of color is for a friend, and I told her I wouldn't spoil the grade. They sure do look purty together. Gonna have a tough time separating them!!!

My first of 6 Signature Series invoices from NYCC is set to be delivered on Monday. The artist alley invoice (which includes a few more sketch covers) is in Quality Control now, so I'm *hoping* it ships Monday or Tuesday so that I receive it before the end of the week!
Old 11-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #219
Spider-Fan

And a couple recent additions that I didn't get to have the experience of getting them signed myself. Would love to meet Bruce Timm one day! He was at NYCC, but didn't do any signings that I'm aware of.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #220
enyouartist

Amazing collection!
enyouartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:02 PM   #221
Spider-Fan

My last NYCC CGC invoice is on its way home. Well... there is one more at CCS, but I won't see that one until next year.

Wish they all looked like this one =)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171115-225552.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	395058  
Old 11-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #222
rw0926

Wow that was such a cool catchup for me on the thread. Nice work and I'm loving all the Harley covers
rw0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #223
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw0926 View Post
Wow that was such a cool catchup for me on the thread. Nice work and I'm loving all the Harley covers
Thanks! My last two boxes from CGC are coming today, so hopefully I'll be updating with a lot of new PC slabs before Thanksgiving
Old 11-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #224
rw0926

Quote:
Thanks! My last two boxes from CGC are coming today, so hopefully I'll be updating with a lot of new PC slabs before Thanksgiving
I'll be watching and drooling
rw0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #225
CMS1

Nice, seems like you are getting pretty good at picking out 9.8 candidates.