Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #26
Arianny_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
Nope..topps doesn't have a football license
Wow, last I seen (Mariotta rc days) Topps was still in it. Is UD still in the football game? Poopnini controls all now?

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/139631202@N06/albums
Arianny_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #27
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianny_Fan View Post
Wow, last I seen (Mariotta rc days) Topps was still in it. Is UD still in the football game? Poopnini controls all now?
The poopsters control football starting 2016. 2015 was last year for Topps. Upper Deck was only making college cards anyways and they are out too.

Sucks when your main focus is Topps Chrome.
Siberian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #28
indyguy

Basketball is a global game. There is a larger market than football. Overseas collectors (and the "buyers club" )help drive up prices and keep them there
indyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:52 AM   #29
CardboardGems
Banned

It’s all due to the fact that in Prizm football the silvers are the “base” card for the rookies and in basketball that’s not the case
CardboardGems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #30
Adamlp41

Given how silver Prizm have been the base RC for football...what's kept silver holo Optic RC's from filling that silver parallel void?
Adamlp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #31
brettmik59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamlp41 View Post
Given how silver Prizm have been the base RC for football...what's kept silver holo Optic RC's from filling that silver parallel void?
Football has just never held value well, in large part due to the limited collector base (it's an American game only) and short careers. Basketball is a global game, the most global of our big 4 sports.
brettmik59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #32
DaaaaBears

Football cards = poop....with or without the nini....plus football collectors are like hockey collectors now and won't pay squat for anything lol it's all good though if you collect football and actually can now afford stuff
DaaaaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #33
clipperboy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardBoard4Life View Post
The psychology of collecting doesn't always make sense. I just sit back and laugh at the Prizm rookie silver prices. Reminds me of Pink's Hot Dogs, they are terrible, yet the line never ends.
Lol, that is funny about Pinks. I had one a few weeks ago, really not great, but yep they are legendary.

I was a silver hater but they have survived quite a bit, probably still over inflated but they are nice looking and I think part of what’s worked with them is there are enough to generate interest. Some of the other desirable cards the last few years had been too rare to have a lot of people own them
Old 08-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #34
cardmole

Pinks were great chili dogs in the '60's-original L.A. location.
Places you get them now are not really true Pinks-just alternate franchises,etc.
cardmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #35
danimal875

There is 1 giant factor at play with the rise of the Basketball Prizm silver RC bubble. It didn't start until Ben Simmons blew up early last year. Up until that point silvers were the "value play" for true collectors, and to my knowledge, not really a card investors or flippers paid attention to.

The first and most important market force was Ben Simmons' exclusive deal with Upper Deck to produce all of his autographs and memorabilia cards. This forced everyone into very few options. Cards that would have been an absolute after thought in any other year for a high profile rookie, like Prizm non-auto parallels, High end base cards for National Treasures and Immaculate absolutely skyrocketed. Think back to past NT releases, would Wiggins or Karl-Anthony Towns base cards be worth $10,000? NO. For collectors with even a upper middle class budget could not afford any of these cards so all the dollars went to Prizm parallels.
This was also the year Prizm really jumped the shark with the different parallels. I like to think of that famous line from the villain in Incedibles the animated movie who says, "When everyone is special, nobody is special!" With so many dizzying parallels collectors wanted a bedrock of collecting to grab on to, and they grabbed on old faithful chrome refractor technology. Then the Simmons bubble started. They went from $75 to $1200 plus in what seemed like a couple weeks. Not understanding why $$ was going into silver Simmons cards sent lots of casual collectors to silver RCs of other players like Giannis etc. thinking that the same phenomenon would happen and it did, because everyone was thinking the same thing and not understanding why. But markets are amazing, all they need is faith.

You can thank Upper Deck for the silver craze in Basketball.

This bubble by association principle has recently affected baseball. The lack of base cards or chrome non-autos for Mike Trout's 2009 Bowman Draft card sent prices for first cards through the stratosphere sending anyone with a normal budget to the 2011 Topps Update. And once again, everyone associated Topps update with value not realizing that there hoards of them and ignoring much lower quantity high quality cards.

Last edited by danimal875; 08-11-2018 at 03:29 PM.
danimal875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #36
Archangel1775

NBA Silver Prizms are an entirely different beast

NFL: Topps Chrome Refractors > Panini Silver Prizms

I actually believe Optic may be the NFL collectors choice in the long run
Old 08-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #37
mindcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal875 View Post
There is 1 giant factor at play with the rise of the Basketball Prizm silver RC bubble. It didn't start until Ben Simmons blew up early last year. Up until that point silvers were the "value play" for true collectors, and to my knowledge, not really a card investors or flippers paid attention to.
This is partly true, but silvers actually started to gain momentum during the 15-16 offseason. I actually sold a large portion of my collection at that time as I thought it was a passing fad. Boy was I wrong.. lol.

But you’re right, the biggest spike, and what has continued to fuel the hype, is definitely Simmons. I think the interest in silvers over that 15-16 offseason with rookies like KAT and even Wiggins from the year prior built the momentum, but Simmons lack of autos is what pushed it over the edge.
mindcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #38
tjforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal875 View Post
They went from $75 to $1200 plus in what seemed like a couple weeks. Not understanding why $$ was going into silver Simmons cards sent lots of casual collectors to silver RCs of other players like Giannis etc. thinking that the same phenomenon would happen and it did, because everyone was thinking the same thing and not understanding why. But markets are amazing, all they need is faith.
I agree with a decent amount of what you said, but no, they didn't jump from $75 to $1200 that fast.

I can't tell you what they were going for at release, but I started looking to pick up a Silver around the all star break of the 16-17 season. Raw Simmons's were going for around $160-$170 at the time, which I thought was pretty high. I waited until May during the NBA playoffs and I picked up a PSA 10 for $325. It was the lowest price sale of a PSA 10 from the time I started looking until now.

The price crept up during the summer, shot up during preseason, exploded around December when it was apparent this guy was the real deal. Since then they's see sawed a bit based on how in the headlines Simmons is.