Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Is Joe Mauer a HOFer??
Yes 50 37.31%
No 84 62.69%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #151
MFaulkCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peties Army View Post
Pujols is the greatest right handed hitting 1B of all time. I get his point but itís a pretty rough comp.
Itís solely to show even the greatest players are poor statistically for up to half of their career ( part the decline and part how high the peak was)

Lesser players like Mauer would of course have a large decline too. That was the only point
MFaulkCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #152
Peties Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFaulkCollector View Post
Thanks for not reading anything... Iím not comparing the two at all... Iím just saying basically all greats are significantly worse their their peak.... so why would lesser players not be worse as well. Everyone finishes their career out well below their peak unless your name is Barry bonds
Right all have a bad part of career but Pujols and Griffey bad part of career was much smaller then Mauer.

You keep leaving out he is going to have a much greater portion of his career were he wasnít even good.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #153
jhssketchcards

Quote:
Pujols is the greatest right handed hitting 1B of all time. I get his point but itís a pretty rough comp.

I get it too. But the HOF whose numbers declined happened after 12-15 HOF caliber seasons. They played another 5 or more years to get key numbers, to stamp their tickets. Mauer had maybe 6 really good and maybe three great seasons. No matter how much I want a guy in doesnít mean he should be in. HOF careers should be consistent and lengthy. Not bursts or glimpses. But you never know. I mean for gosh sakes Blyleven is in. Really? Who knows what writers think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhssketchcards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #154
Peties Army

Quote:
Itís solely to show even the greatest players are poor statistically for up to half of their career ( part the decline and part how high the peak was)

Lesser players like Mauer would of course have a large decline too. That was the only point
I 100% understand your point, but itís their donesides were small and their eliteness was much Longer.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #155
Hollywood42

Not trying to derail the thread, but Bert has over 3,700 strikeouts, good for 5th of all time. He absolutely deserves to be in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhssketchcards View Post
I get it too. But the HOF whose numbers declined happened after 12-15 HOF caliber seasons. They played another 5 or more years to get key numbers, to stamp their tickets. Mauer had maybe 6 really good and maybe three great seasons. No matter how much I want a guy in doesnít mean he should be in. HOF careers should be consistent and lengthy. Not bursts or glimpses. But you never know. I mean for gosh sakes Blyleven is in. Really? Who knows what writers think
Blowout's Minnesota Twins Face of the Franchise
Hollywood42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #156
rman112

While no one doubts Pujols getting in (well, unless steroids), his stat sheet is going to look weird when he hangs it up. Unless he somehow finds the fountain of youth or gets bought out, he's going to end his career with 9 straight bad seasons.
rman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #157
jhssketchcards

Quote:

So if Mayer is a lesser player than ATG HOfers and he had way fewer peak years than they did, why should he even be considered in the HOF?

jhssketchcards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #158
Technochocolate

Send a message via Skype™ to Technochocolate

He's a batting average ace in an era in which BA is downplayed more than it ever has been.

Evaluated as a pure catcher.....probably taking Posey over him, and him vs. Molina is a healthy argument. 2nd or 3rd best of your era is usually borderline HOF caliber, give or take.

Evaluated as a pure 1B....just simply not as good offensively, in this era where you need power from that position.

The fact he's been with one team his whole career might actually lead him to be overrated - more likely to be considered higher value because one team has wanted to hold onto him his entire career.

I think if push came to shove, I'm voting Mauer in and voting Molina out, with both more or less defining the breaking point for HOF caliber catchers, from an offensive perspective (Mauer) and defensive perspective (Molina).
Technochocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #159
Peties Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
While no one doubts Pujols getting in (well, unless steroids), his stat sheet is going to look weird when he hangs it up. Unless he somehow finds the fountain of youth or gets bought out, he's going to end his career with 9 straight bad seasons.
Unless you think he is playing for 6 more below average seasons you are 100% wrong
Old 08-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #160
Peties Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhssketchcards View Post
So if Mayer is a lesser player than ATG HOfers and he had way fewer peak years than they did, why should he even be considered in the HOF?

This. His argument makes little sense especially sicne he has even said he doesnít care about postion.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:17 PM   #161
Peties Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technochocolate View Post
He's a batting average ace in an era in which BA is downplayed more than it ever has been.

Evaluated as a pure catcher.....probably taking Posey over him, and him vs. Molina is a healthy argument. 2nd or 3rd best of your era is usually borderline HOF caliber, give or take.

Evaluated as a pure 1B....just simply not as good offensively, in this era where you need power from that position.

The fact he's been with one team his whole career might actually lead him to be overrated - more likely to be considered higher value because one team has wanted to hold onto him his entire career.

I think if push came to shove, I'm voting Mauer in and voting Molina out, with both more or less defining the breaking point for HOF caliber catchers, from an offensive perspective (Mauer) and defensive perspective (Molina).
When hot takes go bad
Old 08-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #162
rman112

Quote:
Unless you think he is playing for 6 more below average seasons you are 100% wrong
Would '9 straight non-HOF seasons' be more phonetically pleasing?

He was solid Year 1 in Anaheim. That's about it.

I could see the argument that 2014 was OK.
rman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #163
MFaulkCollector

Quote:
Pujols is in his 7th season currently where he is noticably well below his peak. He will play 3 more years and have played a decade below his peak... where 5-6 of the years will be flat out bad

It just is what it is. Doesnít mean he isnít a top 10 hitter in history. It just means he played longer than his talent allowed for at a high level.

And for mauer... give me a list of modern era guys who played 17 years, hit .300, won an mvp, gg, and silver sluggers.... then narrow it down to guys who played a premium defensive position for part of their career

Thatís all Iím saying, if you say average is crap/not meaningful and his counting stats are inadequate ... I canít argue really. Iím just trying to give credit for what was accomplished, not detracting for what wasnít. I think your opinion will win out and he will never make it. I would say yes but the .300 average is 100 percent a must.. .29997 nope. Thatís his in for me, do what got you there
MFaulkCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #164
Peties Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
Would '9 straight non-HOF seasons' be more phonetically pleasing?

He was solid Year 1 in Anaheim. That's about it.

I could see the argument that 2014 was OK.
Youíre neat
Old 08-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #165
ThoseBackPages

let him in!

they let Hoffman in
#LighthouseBONER
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #166
Peties Army

Quote:
Pujols is in his 7th season currently where he is noticably well below his peak. He will play 3 more years and have played a decade below his peak... where 5-6 of the years will be flat out bad

It just is what it is. Doesnít mean he isnít a top 10 hitter in history. It just means he played longer than his talent allowed for at a high level.

And for mauer... give me a list of modern era guys who played 17 years, hit .300, won an mvp, gg, and silver sluggers.... then narrow it down to guys who played a premium defensive position for part of their career

Thatís all Iím saying, if you say average is crap/not meaningful and his counting stats are inadequate ... I canít argue really. Iím just trying to give credit for what was accomplished, not detracting for what wasnít. I think your opinion will win out and he will never make it. I would say yes but the .300 average is 100 percent a must.. .29997 nope. Thatís his in for me, do what got you there
Yes he has been below his all time greatest hitter peak yet still worth twice as many wins as Mauer.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:24 AM   #167
Skipscards

Quote:
No it wonít be. Itís like he played 950 games at catcher, 550 games at LF and 500 games at 1B,he has played almost the equal amount games at first and dh. Iíd day suggesting his main postion was catcher is a tad not showing the whole picture.

I think if he ďmuddlesĒ along a few more years are going to say ďsure he was great for 6 or 7 years but he spent the other 2/3 years of his career being no where near HOF worthy.

Better question is does he even get a full time none after this year? No sure teams are lining up to give him one.
With 950 games at catcher and 500ish at other positions, theyíll judge him as a catcher. Plus he played catcher in his prime. Think about Banks. He played more games at first than SS but heís considered a SS.

As for the getting a fulltime job after this year, another good point. Though something tells me, if he plays next year, the Twinkies will figure out a way to bring him back.

Quote:
And I found a pretty good comp.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...orrejo01.shtml

Didnít have the really high ceiling as Mauer but was better for longer.

Not in.
Torre is in.

Sometimes it is astounding that we are able to persist in a world so full of morons.
Skipscards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #168
Peties Army

double post. Sorry
Old 08-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #169
Peties Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipscards View Post
With 950 games at catcher and 500ish at other positions, theyíll judge him as a catcher. Plus he played catcher in his prime. Think about Banks. He played more games at first than SS but heís considered a SS.

As for the getting a fulltime job after this year, another good point. Though something tells me, if he plays next year, the Twinkies will figure out a way to bring him back.

Torre is in.
It isnít like he played 10 seasons at Catcher and then 10 at other spots. And Ernie banks is an awful comp. Ernie banks was among the greatest powerbhjtters regardless of postion. He could have played SS, 1B 2nd or been the fourth OF in a softball league and been great.

Your joe Torre comment, stop it. You know what you did!
Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #170
Skipscards

Quote:
It isnít like he played 10 seasons at Catcher and then 10 at other spots. And Ernie banks is an awful comp. Ernie banks was among the greatest powerbhjtters regardless of postion. He could have played SS, 1B 2nd or been the fourth OF in a softball league and been great.

Your joe Torre comment, stop it. You know what you did!
I wasnít using Ernie Banksí performance as a comp. (Banks was a lot better than Mauer) I was specifically just addressing the point of how Joe will be remembered. Banks is remembered as a SS despite playing more games at 1st. Similarly, I think Mauer will be remembered as a Catcher. Right this second it is difficult to see the forest for the trees because he is actively playing at a so-so level. Once heís retired and 5 years have passed, his career will begin to be viewed in its entirety and the perception of Joe Mauer the HOF candidate will take shape.

As for Torre, I couldnít resist.

Sometimes it is astounding that we are able to persist in a world so full of morons.
Skipscards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #171
rexvos

No. If Dale Murphy and Don Mattingly are not in. He has 0 chance