Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Mad

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:16 AM   #326
Shinypsptitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal805 View Post
A few more good ones:

Omen
Audition
Strangers
Frailty

Not great, but highly underrated:

Bless the Child
Legion
Darkness Falls
The Possession
No Vacancy
Lady in the Water
Don't be Afraid
Turistas

FrmDaLeftCoast - SoCal805
The Strangers (2006) was criminally underrated.
Shinypsptitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #327
Hess687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
i don't 100% get the hate for Lady in the Water. i enjoyed it.
Not many people are, but I'm a huge fan of M Night Shamalan (sp?). I have enjoyed all of his movies and thought The Visit was his big FU to everyone as it turned out to be more hilarious than scary.
Hess687 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #328
socal805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess687 View Post
Not many people are, but I'm a huge fan of M Night Shamalan (sp?). I have enjoyed all of his movies and thought The Visit was his big FU to everyone as it turned out to be more hilarious than scary.
I enjoyed most of his movies...Unbreakable is a highly underrated movie. The Happening, Devil are legit and the FAM bam loved The Visit. Only movie I've disliked is Avitar.

socal805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #329
Cervantes

I enjoy horror movies, but had never heard of A Serbian Film.

Read about it, but cannot understand why anyone would want to watch this, if you're a normal human being. I'm not easily offended, but this is f'n garbage.

Liked most of VCR. Anyone seen this? Part two was...weird.
Cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #330
TheFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervantes View Post

Read about it, but cannot understand why anyone would want to watch this, if you're a normal human being. I'm not easily offended, but this is f'n garbage.

I'm incredibly unoffendable and I stay away from A Serbian Film.

Not because I can't handle the idea of incredibly depraved acts (I've come across sooo many depraved war acts while preparing lessons for my history classes), but because it's not art and it's not entertainment. It's more like the 4 year old who says "poop", makes someone laugh, and then says the word non-stop for the 3 months. It's the same reason I couldn't make it through an entire episode of Brickleberry or Mr. Pickles.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #331
Seahawks fan

Quote:

Just like anything someone over hypes I was disappointed in A Serbian Film. All the scenes that were described to me sounded interesting/pushing the envelope but although the ideas and subject matter was pushing boundaries, the visual presentation was pretty weak. Everything nasty was done in shadows, angles where you can't see what they were doing you just know what they are doing etc. Basically the difference between watching a good zombie movie with gore where they show the bodies getting ripped apart and entrails spread all over the floor and a weak zombie movie where you just see zombies huddled around a body giving the assumption that they are eating the body even though you can't see much.

From a horror/gore fan I give it a c- it was more sad than anything as you feel sorry for the guy.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #332
socal805

Quote:

VCR? Did you mean V/H/S?

Old 05-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #333
socal805

Last night I watched Babadook...and it was pretty interesting, yet a but confusing. Overall I would recommend it.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #334
Cervantes

Quote:
VCR? Did you mean V/H/S?

LOL

Yeah, that's what I meant. lol @ vcr. I have a bunch of old vhs movies, but haven't owned a vcr in years.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #335
Cervantes

Probably going to watch a scary movie with my family tonight...

Life is good.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #336
socal805

I can sell you a DVD/VCR!? LoL

And I've seen part 1, pretty legit. I heard a lot of bad reviews in regards to part 2. So I haven't even bothered watching it. Do you recommend it?

Old 05-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #337
Cervantes

Quote:
I can sell you a DVD/VCR!? LoL

And I've seen part 1, pretty legit. I heard a lot of bad reviews in regards to part 2. So I haven't even bothered watching it. Do you recommend it?

Nope, I thought it sucked pretty bad. Totally different from the first one, and by the end I was turned off and thought it was really dumb.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #338
socal805

Glad I didn't waste my time on it.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #339
hreed2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
i don't 100% get the hate for Lady in the Water. i enjoyed it.
It's definitely just personal preference so I'm not bashing anybody who liked it but for me personally it was one of the worst movies I've seen. Boring characters, boring story and it just felt like nothing really happened. Maybe I just don't get M Night but I'm not really a fan of any of his movies. Even Sixth Sense, it's a great movie the first time you see it but every time after that (for me at least) it just feels like a decent movie. He always has great concepts and ideas and most of his movies start off pretty strong but I feel like he just can't end a movie properly to save his life. Of course he's an incredibly successful director/writer/producer who has more money than I could ever imagine so what do I know lol
hreed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #340
Clarka3

the only benefit to a VCR/DVD combo anymore is to rip your old VHS tapes onto a DVD easily. Taught my grandpa how to do it so he didn't have to re-buy all of his old movies.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #341
socal805

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreed2 View Post
It's definitely just personal preference so I'm not bashing anybody who liked it but for me personally it was one of the worst movies I've seen. Boring characters, boring story and it just felt like nothing really happened. Maybe I just don't get M Night but I'm not really a fan of any of his movies. Even Sixth Sense, it's a great movie the first time you see it but every time after that (for me at least) it just feels like a decent movie. He always has great concepts and ideas and most of his movies start off pretty strong but I feel like he just can't end a movie properly to save his life. Of course he's an incredibly successful director/writer/producer who has more money than I could ever imagine so what do I know lol
There is a message to the audience from most of his movies. Every time I see Lady in the Water, Unbroken and the Happening. They seem to be better...IMO.

Same rule applies with Mama, there is a subconscious message being told to us. It's not obvious and it's never mentioned in the actual movie.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #342
hreed2

Quote:
There is a message to the audience from most of his movies. Every time I see Lady in the Water, Unbroken and the Happening. They seem to be better...IMO.

Same rule applies with Mama, there is a subconscious message being told to us. It's not obvious and it's never mentioned in the actual movie.
Yeah I've noticed he does that and personally I don't really like it. I usually like horror movies because for the most part I can just shut off my brain and enjoy a movie that's just fun for funs sake. Could be part of the reason why I just don't get his movies for the most part. I was a fan of Mama but felt the ending was a bit anti-climatic. Liked it overall though.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #343
shrevecity

Quote:
LOL

Yeah, that's what I meant. lol @ vcr. I have a bunch of old vhs movies, but haven't owned a vcr in years.
VHS movies especially horror are picking up value on Ebay. Most are not worth much, but some can bring a nice price.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #344
devo

The only movie I've ever started watching that I actually had to turn off because I was so disgusted was Human Centipede. Disgusting movie.
devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #345
hairysasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinypsptitans View Post
The Strangers (2006) was criminally underrated.
It was criminally insane. Really creepy and utterly irrational. That's what made it so effective. Wanted to get one of those masks for Halloween but my wife refused. That's about when she stopped watching movies with me.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #346
socal805

Watched Babadook this past weekend...It's pretty legit. For those who've seen it, who else wanted to give a good whippin to that kid? lol
Old 05-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #347
hreed2

Watched #Horror last night, more like #Bore!
Old 05-25-2016, 01:27 AM   #348
Shinypsptitans

Yep Babadook lived up to the hype for me. Definitely one of the best horror movies produced in the last few years in my opinion...I actually liked it better than the conjuring!
Shinypsptitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:18 AM   #349
YanksBillsFan

Babadook had me really thinking about different ways to explain for the actual Babadook. I go down so many rabbit holes with different possible meanings. Was is real? Was it a manifestation on the son's part? Could it have been a manifestation by the still grieving mother driven to madness? I enjoyed it very much.

Another one that was really good was, "It Follows". Such a creepy movie with that old school feel to it. Another movie with so many possible meanings.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:04 AM   #350
Hess687

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksBillsFan View Post
Babadook had me really thinking about different ways to explain for the actual Babadook. I go down so many rabbit holes with different possible meanings. Was is real? Was it a manifestation on the son's part? Could it have been a manifestation by the still grieving mother driven to madness? I enjoyed it very much.

Another one that was really good was, "It Follows". Such a creepy movie with that old school feel to it. Another movie with so many possible meanings.
It Follows was brilliantly done. I watched the whole movie with just a smile on my face because, like you said, it really was a nice throwback to 80's horror films. A lot of suspense, great track to build suspense, just really well done. I have nothing but great things to say about this movie.

Is anyone else ready for a Freddy or Jason remake? I'd love to see some of the old school guys back again.
Hess687 is online now   Reply With Quote