Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Mad

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 03:16 AM   #326
Shinypsptitans
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal805 View Post
A few more good ones:

Omen
Audition
Strangers
Frailty

Not great, but highly underrated:

Bless the Child
Legion
Darkness Falls
The Possession
No Vacancy
Lady in the Water
Don't be Afraid
Turistas



FrmDaLeftCoast - SoCal805
The Strangers (2006) was criminally underrated.
Shinypsptitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #327
Hess687
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
i don't 100% get the hate for Lady in the Water. i enjoyed it.
Not many people are, but I'm a huge fan of M Night Shamalan (sp?). I have enjoyed all of his movies and thought The Visit was his big FU to everyone as it turned out to be more hilarious than scary.
Hess687 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #328
socal805
Member
 
socal805's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Shafter, CA
Posts: 6,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess687 View Post
Not many people are, but I'm a huge fan of M Night Shamalan (sp?). I have enjoyed all of his movies and thought The Visit was his big FU to everyone as it turned out to be more hilarious than scary.
I enjoyed most of his movies...Unbreakable is a highly underrated movie. The Happening, Devil are legit and the FAM bam loved The Visit. Only movie I've disliked is Avitar.

FrmDaLeftCoast - SoCal805
socal805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #329
Cervantes
Member
 
Cervantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6,175
Default

I enjoy horror movies, but had never heard of A Serbian Film.

Read about it, but cannot understand why anyone would want to watch this, if you're a normal human being. I'm not easily offended, but this is f'n garbage.

Liked most of VCR. Anyone seen this? Part two was...weird.
Cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #330
TheFrenzy
Member
 
TheFrenzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texan in AZ
Posts: 11,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervantes View Post
I enjoy horror movies, but had never heard of A Serbian Film.

Read about it, but cannot understand why anyone would want to watch this, if you're a normal human being. I'm not easily offended, but this is f'n garbage.

Liked most of VCR. Anyone seen this? Part two was...weird.
I'm incredibly unoffendable and I stay away from A Serbian Film.

Not because I can't handle the idea of incredibly depraved acts (I've come across sooo many depraved war acts while preparing lessons for my history classes), but because it's not art and it's not entertainment. It's more like the 4 year old who says "poop", makes someone laugh, and then says the word non-stop for the 3 months. It's the same reason I couldn't make it through an entire episode of Brickleberry or Mr. Pickles.
__________________
Blowout Urban Legends Vol. 2: They stole everything while you slept. Your entire collection. And they left a calling card..........a stupid carrot.
TheFrenzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #331
Seahawks fan
Member
 
Seahawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 5,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervantes View Post
I enjoy horror movies, but had never heard of A Serbian Film.

Read about it, but cannot understand why anyone would want to watch this, if you're a normal human being. I'm not easily offended, but this is f'n garbage.
Just like anything someone over hypes I was disappointed in A Serbian Film. All the scenes that were described to me sounded interesting/pushing the envelope but although the ideas and subject matter was pushing boundaries, the visual presentation was pretty weak. Everything nasty was done in shadows, angles where you can't see what they were doing you just know what they are doing etc. Basically the difference between watching a good zombie movie with gore where they show the bodies getting ripped apart and entrails spread all over the floor and a weak zombie movie where you just see zombies huddled around a body giving the assumption that they are eating the body even though you can't see much.

From a horror/gore fan I give it a c- it was more sad than anything as you feel sorry for the guy.
__________________
Always looking for Kam Chancellor and Rare Marcus Trufant cards. I will buy or trade just message me.
Seahawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #332
socal805
Member
 
socal805's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Shafter, CA
Posts: 6,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervantes View Post
I enjoy horror movies, but had never heard of A Serbian Film.

Read about it, but cannot understand why anyone would want to watch this, if you're a normal human being. I'm not easily offended, but this is f'n garbage.

Liked most of VCR. Anyone seen this? Part two was...weird.
VCR? Did you mean V/H/S?

FrmDaLeftCoast - SoCal805
socal805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #333
socal805
Member
 
socal805's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Shafter, CA
Posts: 6,836
Default

Last night I watched Babadook...and it was pretty interesting, yet a but confusing. Overall I would recommend it.

FrmDaLeftCoast - SoCal805
socal805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #334
Cervantes
Member
 
Cervantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal805 View Post
VCR? Did you mean V/H/S?

FrmDaLeftCoast - SoCal805
LOL

Yeah, that's what I meant. lol @ vcr. I have a bunch of old vhs movies, but haven't owned a vcr in years.
Cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #335
Cervantes
Member
 
Cervantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6,175
Default

Probably going to watch a scary movie with my family tonight...

Life is good.
Cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #336
socal805
Member
 
socal805's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Shafter, CA
Posts: 6,836
Default

I can sell you a DVD/VCR!? LoL

And I've seen part 1, pretty legit. I heard a lot of bad reviews in regards to part 2. So I haven't even bothered watching it. Do you recommend it?

FrmDaLeftCoast - SoCal805
socal805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #337
Cervantes
Member
 
Cervantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal805 View Post
I can sell you a DVD/VCR!? LoL

And I've seen part 1, pretty legit. I heard a lot of bad reviews in regards to part 2. So I haven't even bothered watching it. Do you recommend it?

FrmDaLeftCoast - SoCal805
Nope, I thought it sucked pretty bad. Totally different from the first one, and by the end I was turned off and thought it was really dumb.
Cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #338
socal805
Member
 
socal805's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Shafter, CA
Posts: 6,836
Default

Glad I didn't waste my time on it.

FrmDaLeftCoast - SoCal805
socal805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #339
hreed2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
i don't 100% get the hate for Lady in the Water. i enjoyed it.
It's definitely just personal preference so I'm not bashing anybody who liked it but for me personally it was one of the worst movies I've seen. Boring characters, boring story and it just felt like nothing really happened. Maybe I just don't get M Night but I'm not really a fan of any of his movies. Even Sixth Sense, it's a great movie the first time you see it but every time after that (for me at least) it just feels like a decent movie. He always has great concepts and ideas and most of his movies start off pretty strong but I feel like he just can't end a movie properly to save his life. Of course he's an incredibly successful director/writer/producer who has more money than I could ever imagine so what do I know lol
hreed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #340
Clarka3
Member
 
Clarka3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 18,114
Default

the only benefit to a VCR/DVD combo anymore is to rip your old VHS tapes onto a DVD easily. Taught my grandpa how to do it so he didn't have to re-buy all of his old movies.
__________________
Luke Kuechly Collector
pending: w8lifter28 (custom),

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #341
socal805
Member
 
socal805's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Shafter, CA
Posts: 6,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreed2 View Post
It's definitely just personal preference so I'm not bashing anybody who liked it but for me personally it was one of the worst movies I've seen. Boring characters, boring story and it just felt like nothing really happened. Maybe I just don't get M Night but I'm not really a fan of any of his movies. Even Sixth Sense, it's a great movie the first time you see it but every time after that (for me at least) it just feels like a decent movie. He always has great concepts and ideas and most of his movies start off pretty strong but I feel like he just can't end a movie properly to save his life. Of course he's an incredibly successful director/writer/producer who has more money than I could ever imagine so what do I know lol
There is a message to the audience from most of his movies. Every time I see Lady in the Water, Unbroken and the Happening. They seem to be better...IMO.

Same rule applies with Mama, there is a subconscious message being told to us. It's not obvious and it's never mentioned in the actual movie.
socal805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #342
hreed2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal805 View Post
There is a message to the audience from most of his movies. Every time I see Lady in the Water, Unbroken and the Happening. They seem to be better...IMO.

Same rule applies with Mama, there is a subconscious message being told to us. It's not obvious and it's never mentioned in the actual movie.
Yeah I've noticed he does that and personally I don't really like it. I usually like horror movies because for the most part I can just shut off my brain and enjoy a movie that's just fun for funs sake. Could be part of the reason why I just don't get his movies for the most part. I was a fan of Mama but felt the ending was a bit anti-climatic. Liked it overall though.
hreed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #343
shrevecity
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervantes View Post
LOL

Yeah, that's what I meant. lol @ vcr. I have a bunch of old vhs movies, but haven't owned a vcr in years.
VHS movies especially horror are picking up value on Ebay. Most are not worth much, but some can bring a nice price.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #344
devo
Member
 
devo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: California
Posts: 1,424
Default

The only movie I've ever started watching that I actually had to turn off because I was so disgusted was Human Centipede. Disgusting movie.
devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #345
hairysasquatch
Member
 
hairysasquatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In the Woods, Central NY
Posts: 11,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinypsptitans View Post
The Strangers (2006) was criminally underrated.
It was criminally insane. Really creepy and utterly irrational. That's what made it so effective. Wanted to get one of those masks for Halloween but my wife refused. That's about when she stopped watching movies with me.
__________________
"The single most inessential member of this entire forum" - pazerbaijan, October 7, 2018
hairysasquatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #346
socal805
Member
 
socal805's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Shafter, CA
Posts: 6,836
Default

Watched Babadook this past weekend...It's pretty legit. For those who've seen it, who else wanted to give a good whippin to that kid? lol
socal805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #347
hreed2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,373
Default

Watched #Horror last night, more like #Bore!
hreed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:27 AM   #348
Shinypsptitans
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,393
Default

Yep Babadook lived up to the hype for me. Definitely one of the best horror movies produced in the last few years in my opinion...I actually liked it better than the conjuring!
Shinypsptitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:18 AM   #349
YanksBillsFan
Member
 
YanksBillsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,279
Default

Babadook had me really thinking about different ways to explain for the actual Babadook. I go down so many rabbit holes with different possible meanings. Was is real? Was it a manifestation on the son's part? Could it have been a manifestation by the still grieving mother driven to madness? I enjoyed it very much.

Another one that was really good was, "It Follows". Such a creepy movie with that old school feel to it. Another movie with so many possible meanings.
__________________
Collecting:
Brett Gardner
YanksBillsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:04 AM   #350
Hess687
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksBillsFan View Post
Babadook had me really thinking about different ways to explain for the actual Babadook. I go down so many rabbit holes with different possible meanings. Was is real? Was it a manifestation on the son's part? Could it have been a manifestation by the still grieving mother driven to madness? I enjoyed it very much.

Another one that was really good was, "It Follows". Such a creepy movie with that old school feel to it. Another movie with so many possible meanings.
It Follows was brilliantly done. I watched the whole movie with just a smile on my face because, like you said, it really was a nice throwback to 80's horror films. A lot of suspense, great track to build suspense, just really well done. I have nothing but great things to say about this movie.

Is anyone else ready for a Freddy or Jason remake? I'd love to see some of the old school guys back again.
Hess687 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.