Blowout Cards Forums
Power Coupon DANNY

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GRADING

Notices

GRADING For all grading talk - PSA, BGS, SGC, etc

Old 10-11-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
seth2720

Default Tips for first time PSA grading?

Hi guys, I'm about to send in my first PSA submission soon and was wondering if anyone had any good tips that a newbie wouldn't know about. I'm signing up for the membership which gets 15 or so free grading's. A couple quick questions:

- Each card requires a declared value, but the declared value of any card is debatable, sell value vs. book value, what do people put down? Does beckett look into the value of each card to make sure what you list is "accurate"?

- site said something about the only holders they except are the flimsy ones is this true? Seems like cards get damaged more in these holders then they do in most others.

- what do most people mail their cards in? Priority box with signature confirmation?

I know there are many people here that grade regularly so some of you have this down to a science, so any feedback would be great thanks.
seth2720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
rudyjustinfarrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth2720 View Post
Hi guys, I'm about to send in my first PSA submission soon and was wondering if anyone had any good tips that a newbie wouldn't know about. I'm signing up for the membership which gets 15 or so free grading's. A couple quick questions:

- Each card requires a declared value, but the declared value of any card is debatable, sell value vs. book value, what do people put down? Does beckett look into the value of each card to make sure what you list is "accurate"?

- site said something about the only holders they except are the flimsy ones is this true? Seems like cards get damaged more in these holders then they do in most others.

- what do most people mail their cards in? Priority box with signature confirmation?

I know there are many people here that grade regularly so some of you have this down to a science, so any feedback would be great thanks.
They do not check declared value. But if you lowball them/yourself and the package gets lost or damaged... shame on you. I use eBay because you can easily print off recent sales or a receipt of your purchase.

I don't mind the card savers. Yes to a Priority box w/ Sig Confirmation. If you have a lot of cards I bundle them and bubble wrap them in individual "packs". You can grab free mailers at the USPS (Priority Bubble Mailers). Do not squeeze in cards into a box. If you have to bite the bullet for the Medium or Large flat rate... do it.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
RogerGodahell

Raw value

Card saver 1's , they're a little bigger and easier to get cards in.

Any type of box that hold the cards securely with plenty of bubble wrap so the cards dont bounce around. I save the boxes from COMC or PSA or whoever to reuse just for these purposes. And yes signature confirmation with tracking.

I clect football cards
RogerGodahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #4
MJGOAT23

Call me crazy but i use penny sleeves in a top loader taped at the top then inside cardboard then in bubble wrap in a flat rate box w/ sig + tracking like others have said. I'm paranoid about those flimsy Card Savers too?!
MJGOAT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
MJGOAT23

also, i declare value based on expected grade.
MJGOAT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:16 AM   #6
alifaxwa2

Do a test run to check out your grading skills. Many first time submitters find themselves extremely disappointed.
alifaxwa2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
northwellguy

PSA's system is pretty idiot-proof.

IMHO, their website is good and informative PLUS when you make a submission lots of the info is on drop menus and easy to find.

I am sending a bunch of cards again soon - including a 1979 OPC Gretzky rookie - while I would love it to grade out 8 or higher it'll probably be a 2-3 when I get it back.

Just don't let wishful thinking disappoint you.
Old Today, 12:42 AM   #8
bwalter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGOAT23 View Post
Call me crazy but i use penny sleeves in a top loader taped at the top then inside cardboard then in bubble wrap in a flat rate box w/ sig + tracking like others have said. I'm paranoid about those flimsy Card Savers too?!
Card savers are way to go. I thought I saw somewhere where they cut them out of them as opposed to possibly messing them up getting out of top loader. I did card savers in a box that i for my old subs from. I also wrapped internally with card board and bubble wrap so they don't move. Based off my location I did fedex. They were supposed to get there in a Wednesday and they showed up on a Monday. This was shipping on a Saturday morning too. Shipping with some insurance and about 70 cards cost me $50. I also shipped two submissions together. One a 5 day the other a 30 day. 5 day was done early and the 30 day was done on the 10th day. Also write on the box the submission times.