Blowout Cards Forums
2018 community chest

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GAMING

Notices

GAMING Post Your Gaming Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
swowannabe

Default MtG: Masters 25

Spoiler season has come and gone, what's your take?

I'm really disappointed that this set looks worse than MM17. It's a step up from Iconic Masters for sure, but there's nothing really blowing my socks off here. It's basically a JtMS lottery.

As much as I want to draft it, the $30+ price tag of drafting is getting to be outrageous. WotC needs to drop the MSRP on these to $6.99. Basically doubling the price* of a Standard booster is fine, no need to triple it.

*I realize the MSRP of a single Standard booster pack is $3.99, so it's not quite doubling, but outside of Big Box Stores most places have them in the $3.50ish range or 3/$10.

I could actually draft the set multiple times at say $25 with Standard prize support and not feel horrible if I don't hit a JtMS.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
DaaaaBears

Problem so far it seems is that all of the value is in the Mythic rarity slot, so ev will not be good if there isn't any/much value in the rare, uncommon, common slots - not looking too exciting as far as I'm concerned, but, we shall see
DaaaaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
tYEwREEEk13

I personally think this is worse than Iconic Masters....

Current Interests are: C.J.Beathard, Terrance Ferguson, Josh Jackson, Jordan Bell, and Patrick McCaw
MY BUCKET: http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/ad244/tyewreeek13/ (very outdated)
tYEwREEEk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:21 AM   #4
Cujobyte

You guys are insane lol. Port is now reg rare, filters are back, chalice, etc. set is great. Of course I’m biased as I pay 130 a box. Lol.
Cujobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
rats60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
You guys are insane lol. Port is now reg rare, filters are back, chalice, etc. set is great. Of course Iím biased as I pay 130 a box. Lol.
MSRP should be 130/box 5.99/pack. There are too many packs with less than a dollar worth of cards in them. Imagine opening a box with mythics of Tree of Redemption, Akroma and Prossh. For 10/ pack you shouldn't be getting junk at the mythic or rare slot. The last ~5 years, WOTC's goal has been to be the only ones to make money off their products.
rats60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
rizzeedizzee

The way this looks, I'd put it at:

IM<MM25<EM<<<MM17

Another swing and a miss by WOTC. Personally, I hope they do away with Masters sets and put more value into Core, plus the garden variety sets. With Masters sets the excitement about standard is less and everyone expects to be blown away by the Masters sets, which is hard to do. Just move on WOTC.
rizzeedizzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #7
DaaaaBears

This is definitely better than Iconic Masters, but, by how much is the question? There are some pretty big cards up top at Mythic Rarity
Old 03-04-2018, 11:03 PM   #8
rats60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaBears View Post
This is definitely better than Iconic Masters, but, by how much is the question? There are some pretty big cards up top at Mythic Rarity
Jace and Recruiter. 8 of 15 are under 5.00. That is pretty bad for a 10.00 MSRP.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:42 AM   #9
Cujobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Jace and Recruiter. 8 of 15 are under 5.00. That is pretty bad for a 10.00 MSRP.
And what bout the reg Rares like Port? Etc? Cards are a gamble, you know you have a sports pic on your name lol. Nevermind the foils in this set.

Set is very good.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
tYEwREEEk13

Quote:
And what bout the reg Rares like Port? Etc? Cards are a gamble, you know you have a sports pic on your name lol. Nevermind the foils in this set.

Set is very good.
Agree to disagree. This set is horrible... in terms of the value per box or value per pack gamble.

Awesome reprints of some cards that were really tough to get...but from a value standpoint of $240 MSRP a box... it's brutal.

Aside from Jace, Chalice, Thalia, Ensnaring Bridge, and maybe a couple other cards that are actually needed "4 ofs" in decks, the rest are all either bulk rares or cards that people need just 1 of... for commander play. Even Rishadan port, which we ALLLLL knew was coming... will tank due to the fact that nobody wants a set of 4 of them... and supply will soon outweigh demand. Same goes for the filter lands.

The only saving grace will be if people chase the foils... as the foil watermarks make the cards look so much sweeter.

Opening a $10 pack to get one of these as your rare or mythic...is a kick in the junk...

Akroma's Vengeance
Darien
Armageddon
Akroma (red or white)
Decree of Justice
Luminarch Ascension
Blue Sun Zenith
Reef Worm
Vesuvan Shapeshifter
Doomsday
Hell's Caretaker
Laquatus Champion
Ratcatcher
Plague Wind
Triskadekaphobia
Tree of Redemption
Ball Lightning
Courser of Kruphix
Elvish Piper
Brion Stoutarm
Conflux
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden
Hanny, Ship's Navigator
Mystic Snake
Niv Mizzet
Notion Thief
Ruric Thar
Strionic Resonator
Sundering Titan

Cards are always a gamble... but this set is most likely a losing one. If you don't hit a Jace or a really sick rare foil, getting back your $240 in value will not be likely.

Current Interests are: C.J.Beathard, Terrance Ferguson, Josh Jackson, Jordan Bell, and Patrick McCaw
MY BUCKET: http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/ad244/tyewreeek13/ (very outdated)

Last edited by tYEwREEEk13; 03-05-2018 at 10:19 AM.
tYEwREEEk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
rats60

Quote:
you know you have a sports pic on your name lol.
You know this is a sports card web site. Lol. What law prevents a person from collecting sports cards and MTG cards? Or any other cards they want?
Old 03-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #12
mcguirem13

I am pretty disappointed in Masters 25. It's supposed to be a celebration of Magic's 25 years with cards from every set but so many of the cards are not iconic or represent anybody's experience with those sets. Looking at a value perspective it also looks pretty bad. The land cycle they included is nice but they will be $10-20 each which is about the price of 2 packs... Some of the rares/mythics they included were very valuable (like imperial recruiter) but they were so valuable because of low stock and not really playability. Once they are released in this set the prices will drop significantly. The only way you're making money on opening this set is the foils. There are cards at all rarities that will have very high prices at foil but I don't think it's worth the gamble to open hoping to hit a JTMS or a big foil.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #13
rizzeedizzee

What they should've done for Masters 25 is what they did for first print run Zendikar boxes, namely inserts of repurchased "Priceless Treasures" of Power 9 and other cards, or at least repurchased reserve list cards. Instead we get a garden variety masters set. Who knows - maybe they'll do a variation on "Priceless Treasures" for Dominaria where they feature key cards from the 20+ sets that were previously released and set in that universe?

I hope this marks the end of Masters sets, if not forever then at least for quite a while.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #14
Cujobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
You know this is a sports card web site. Lol. What law prevents a person from collecting sports cards and MTG cards? Or any other cards they want?
Nothing I was kidding.

You guys are trying to make $$ off opening these boxes? While you can get boxes at $185 free shipping today (look around they are out there), I think there is a difference of opinion here. I play Legacy lands and long ago sold my Ports for them, although LSV's new list doesn't even run Ports. Sold my jace's long ago, so looking forward to getting them back at the $50 range. That's where I'm coming from, hence my thinking this is a good set. Same with the filters.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:12 PM   #15
Carrbeaz

Most of you are too easily influenced by the whiny neckbeards of Reddit.

Last edited by Carrbeaz; 03-06-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Carrbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #16
swowannabe

Quote:
You guys are insane lol. Port is now reg rare, filters are back, chalice, etc. set is great. Of course Iím biased as I pay 130 a box. Lol.
I'd probably go in at $130 a box.

I'm not even terribly upset at the EV. I rarely sell my cards, so saying my collection is worth XXX dollars is largely pointless since I'd have to sell them for that to be the case. But I do love trading and people always have their stupid app saying what the price of the cards allegedly are. Some of the prices they quote I would love to find a buyer for at those prices, but then they just don't want to trade with me. I'm happy to trade at a huge loss if I get a card I need, like a duplicate Verduous Gearhulk when it was $15 for a Noxious Gearhulk at $3. Don't care. But everyone else does care, so rarely do I actually get to trade. Makes me sad.

I'm not entirely looking forward to the draft environment. It's looking like it is going to be pure chaos, weird rules interactions that I hadn't ever thought of (Blinking a morphed creature? So it comes back unmorphed? WTF?) Way too much complexity.

Ah well. I'll probably draft it twice and be done. Cost is just too high, unless it is just the most fun I've had since Kaladesh.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #17
DaaaaBears

So, now it is very apparent why they unbanned Jace lol - just imagine this set if they didn't

They knew it was going to be a stinker, but, boxes need to be at about $150 imo or less or it's not going to sell too good or get you back a decent return - who opens boxes to make money anyways? It's too hard even with Magic.....lol still a better return than most if not all sports card boxes
Old 03-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #18
cardinalfan13

I got 2 boxes at 145 trying to decide if I should break both or just one
cardinalfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #19
swowannabe

Did two drafts over the weekend. Not real thrilled with either.

Second draft was the worst, kid next to me pulls a Foil Jace and proceeds to trade it in for a booster box of Hour of Devastation (which he proceeded to open, get nothing out of and trade those in for a binder) and some sleeves/deck box. Just made my heart cry. The gambling addiction is real!

Also, in round 3 my opponent was using the morphing shapeshifter person to copy a Ravenous Chupacabra and kill all of my stuff... except it doesn't actually copy ETB's if it isn't ETB'ing. I was just too irritated with everything to catch it and was like "Eff this."

It's a very irritating format when there are stupid things like that shapeshifter + brine elemental. Non-interactive games are fun. Open the best cards instead of draft well.

Maybe I'm just being salty, I don't know. Not opening anything of value + losing to stupid combos/not calling a judge/whatever is a lot to having expended a lot of what I'll call "emotional capital" to convince my wife to let me draft this weekend.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #20
rizzeedizzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan13 View Post
I got 2 boxes at 145 trying to decide if I should break both or just one
I guess it depends on what you'd do with the other if you didn't open it. If you'd be able to trade it for quality singles, then maybe don't open. Or you can always see how you do in the first. If you're thinking of putting away the other box because you hope it will increase in value, you'd need to wait a long time before that happens. Here on this site Iconic, which I still think it a better set, can be had for under $150 a box and I can't see a time when it rises back above that threshold.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #21
moistpaper

Bought 5 packs of these and pulled a Chalice of the Void. I’m mostly just buying a few packs from every release to just to collect...haven’t played in a while.

Last edited by moistpaper; 03-22-2018 at 12:08 PM.
moistpaper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #22
swowannabe

I drafted on Friday night as the place had a $25 A25 draft with a guaranteed A25 prize pack for everyone plus a guaranteed FNM promo. Figured, why the heck not.

The actual draft experience itself was like a frickin' roller coaster. I had kids (And I do mean kids, middle school to maybe freshman/sophomores in high school?) stacking packs up while I patiently waited to pass the one in my hand, and stacking them in a very weird way. Some how a pack ended up with 2x Act of Heroism in it (at 14th pick no less... neither was foil... hmmm...) aaand in the 2nd pack I didn't get a final card because some kid took two cards from the pack.

On a more positive note, I opened a Pendelhaven (eh, not exactly money...), got passed a Twilight Mire (woot, money!). Second pack I opened an Azusa (moar money!) and then got passed *4th pick* a FOIL Thalia ($$$!) While they're all between $12-$24, the fact I had been able to draft a single card to pay for the draft was fantastic, and at 4th pick no less!? It was super bizarre.

Went 2-1, got a second Twilight Mire in my A25 prize pack. Pretty happy about that.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #23
swowannabe

Did another Masters 25 draft last night. First pack had a Foil Simian Spirit Guide and a Blood Moon. This particular LGS has a rule if you have 2 cards combined worth more than $25, and each is worth at least $10, you can buy a new pack. So, I bought a new pack... and got a Rugged Prairie that I then drafted, because why not.

I proceeded to rare draft because incremental value kept getting passed my way to include:

Magus of the Wheel
Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
Pendelhaven
Trikidecaphobia
Fortune Thief
Giselia

It was a complete and utter deck of ridiculousness. I won 2 games with Triskidecaphobia and also killed myself with it once. The Fortune Thief was the real MVP, threw on a pair of Swiftfoot Boots and most opponents did not have a way to make me lose life or some type of mass-removal. So I killed one person with chip damage and the other I decked with the help of Mikokoro. It was a pretty fun night with an atrocious deck, and value wise I came out ahead.

Not nearly as ahead as the dude that pulled a Jace and a Foil Vendilion Clique. Yikes.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:13 AM   #24
Rorschach

Send a message via ICQ to Rorschach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorschach Send a message via Skype™ to Rorschach

The set is very good. There are playable cards in every rarity slot and thus there are money foils in every rarity. Considering you get 24 foils a box, that's a lot of good value.

For normal cards, there are four money Mythics: Jace, Chalice, Ensnaring Bridge and Imperial Recruiter plus Animus, Clique and Obliterator. There are multiple money rares including Azusa, Port, the five filter lands, both Pacts, Blood Moon, Pendlehaven and Thalia. There are like 20 good uncommons and a dozen good commons. This set is twice as good as Iconic Masters.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #25
swowannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
The set is very good. There are playable cards in every rarity slot and thus there are money foils in every rarity. Considering you get 24 foils a box, that's a lot of good value.

For normal cards, there are four money Mythics: Jace, Chalice, Ensnaring Bridge and Imperial Recruiter plus Animus, Clique and Obliterator. There are multiple money rares including Azusa, Port, the five filter lands, both Pacts, Blood Moon, Pendlehaven and Thalia. There are like 20 good uncommons and a dozen good commons. This set is twice as good as Iconic Masters.
Definitely agree. Solid set all around given the value beyond Mythic. Not nearly as good as MM3, but still solid.