Blowout Cards Forums
2018 bb pre order

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Sports & Politics

Notices

Sports & Politics This section is for all political sports talk. Regrettably we feel that in some instances there is no way to eliminate politics from football, basketball, and baseball hobbytalk. Do you pretend nothing is happening with the Warriors, Steelers, A's, etc? This section is for all political sports discussion. However, it is for civil discussion only. No insults aimed at members, political parties, or politicians will be tolerated. There is no warning. If you cannot be civil, you will lose your posting privileges on this site.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:50 AM   #26
quackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Let's compare

Laura:

Speechwriter in the Ronald Reagan Administration
Editor of The Prospect Magazine
Clerked for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
Runs The Laura Ingraham Show, which is heard on 306 stations and XM Satellite Radio.
Host of FNC show, The Ingraham Angle

Lebron:
Bounces a Ball
Puts Ball in Basket
Smacks other mens onna the behinds

Not saying one is better than the other, but I know who I'll listen to when it comes to anything political.
Don't forget she wrote a book in 2003 called "Shut Up and Sing"
quackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:34 AM   #27
jdandns

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
LeBron's opinion is that of a 7th grader. The Number 1 job the president is to execute the laws passed by the Legislative Branch, not "care" about the people like he thinks they should. If the president decides to care about one group over another, they're not being equal in their duty to the entire nation.

I am no fan of Ingraham's, I think her shtick is worn the hell out with the fearless leader nonsense that surrounds Trump.

If you're going to wade into politics and pop off with really, really inane commentary, don't be surprised you get a rhetorical smack down from those who are far more experienced.

The soft bigotry of low expectations strike yet again in this thread as well. You know who you are.
Not asking someone to care more about one group than another, just equal care for all groups. That's a difficult concept for many to grasp, I know. As for his opinion being that of a "7th grader" and "inane"? Nope, just different than yours.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #28
BostonNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
The stick to sports bit is so incredibly old.
Agreed....however....fair or unfair, LeBron's education ended at high school...and even then he knew he had a free pass so how much was he actually absorbing?

So maybe he really should stick to sports...
BostonNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #29
jdandns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astros19 View Post
Her net worth is 45 million while she currently makes 15 million a year.
You may disagree with her politics, but she's doing something right.
His net worth is estimated at 400 million while he currently makes 33 million a year (NBA salary only. He gets another 50 million annually for other work). You may disagree with his politics, but he's doing something right.

If wealth is a measure of greatness, as apparently it is these days, then LeBron is worth numerous Ingrahams. He also pays and has paid a whole lot more taxes than she has or ever will, and continues to generate enormous revenue for many different concerns within the United States. He's earned his say in the way things ought to be in this country, whatever it is, and he's not about to give her publicity she couldn't buy by appearing on her overall low-rated shows popular only with niche-network viewers and listeners. Laura changes no minds. She preaches only to the already converted. LeBron might help turn some minds on to begin with, given his influence on young people.

Beyond that, I find something very troubling about the "new" Ingraham, whose intellect I do respect. The only weapons required by a gladiator in the arena of ideas are cogent arguments sharpened by years of debate, not what one looks like. When I tuned into her television show about a month ago, I was distressed to note the amount of plastic surgery she's had, not just smoothing out wrinkles like all cue-card newsreaders on TV do, but altering her actual appearance when she looked perfectly fine before. I'm thinking the Fox suits might have a few more procedures in mind for her in the hopes they can trick some of their aging viewers into thinking they got Megyn Kelly back. I don't usually agree with her politics, but Ingraham's better than being made to look a certain way they've decided pleases the audience. It's like they've learned nothing there. Good luck, Laura!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:53 PM   #30
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
If the president decides to care about one group over another, they're not being equal in their duty to the entire nation.
Uhhhhhhhhh........

"Cavs in 7. Write it down"
JustinVerlander07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #31
Astros19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
His net worth is estimated at 400 million while he currently makes 33 million a year (NBA salary only. He gets another 50 million annually for other work). You may disagree with his politics, but he's doing something right.

If wealth is a measure of greatness, as apparently it is these days, then LeBron is worth numerous Ingrahams. He also pays and has paid a whole lot more taxes than she has or ever will, and continues to generate enormous revenue for many different concerns within the United States. He's earned his say in the way things ought to be in this country, whatever it is, and he's not about to give her publicity she couldn't buy by appearing on her overall low-rated shows popular only with niche-network viewers and listeners. Laura changes no minds. She preaches only to the already converted. LeBron might help turn some minds on to begin with, given his influence on young people.

Beyond that, I find something very troubling about the "new" Ingraham, whose intellect I do respect. The only weapons required by a gladiator in the arena of ideas are cogent arguments sharpened by years of debate, not what one looks like. When I tuned into her television show about a month ago, I was distressed to note the amount of plastic surgery she's had, not just smoothing out wrinkles like all cue-card newsreaders on TV do, but altering her actual appearance when she looked perfectly fine before. I'm thinking the Fox suits might have a few more procedures in mind for her in the hopes they can trick some of their aging viewers into thinking they got Megyn Kelly back. I don't usually agree with her politics, but Ingraham's better than being made to look a certain way they've decided pleases the audience. It's like they've learned nothing there. Good luck, Laura!
Ignoring most of you're post as it really doesn't concern the point my original post made.
Notice I never said a damn thing about LeBron James.
My post was in response to the posts about Laura Ingraham that were putting her down as insignificant and or a nobody.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Astros19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #32
pac213up

I do not really understand her argument. If you do not speak a certain way you are not allowed to have an opinion on politics.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #33
jdandns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astros19 View Post
Ignoring most of you're post as it really doesn't concern the point my original post made.
Notice I never said a damn thing about LeBron James.
My post was in response to the posts about Laura Ingraham that were putting her down as insignificant and or a nobody.
It specifically addressed the point your post made which is why I quoted you (actually, I just copied your post replacing her financials with LeBron's).

The title of this discussion is literally "LeBron vs. Ingraham". There is no way or reason to separate the two within this thread. Using wealth as an arbiter of her value was a critical error. Compared to LeBron, she IS a nobody, just as I am, when compared to Laura by that same faulty reckoning, the point being the size of one's bank account gives no indication of their actual worth. There are some awfully rich walking piles of garbage out there. A well-known brutal dictator halfway around the world from us is possibly the world's wealthiest man. Does that mean he's "doing something right", too? (Answer: he is not, but rather, is superb at doing terrible things which are then monetized to his benefit.)
Old 02-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #34
Astros19

Quote:
It specifically addressed the point your post made which is why I quoted you (actually, I just copied your post replacing her financials with LeBron's).

The title of this discussion is literally "LeBron vs. Ingraham". There is no way or reason to separate the two within this thread. Using wealth as an arbiter of her value was a critical error. Compared to LeBron, she IS a nobody, just as I am, when compared to Laura by that same faulty reckoning, the point being the size of one's bank account gives no indication of their actual worth. There are some awfully rich walking piles of garbage out there. A well-known brutal dictator halfway around the world from us is possibly the world's wealthiest man. Does that mean he's "doing something right", too? (Answer: he is not, but rather, is superb at doing terrible things which are then monetized to his benefit.)
My comment was the 8th one.
I should have quoted posts 2 & 3 as that is who I was responding to.
Will you forgive me for my error?
Although if it involves discussing politics, my money's on Laura rather than LeBron.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #35
jdandns

Fair enough. Thank you, sir.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #36
Astros19

Quote:
Fair enough. Thank you, sir.
Don't call me sir, I work for a living. lol
Have a good night.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #37
Clarka3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRRABB View Post
I kid, but what's truly laughable is that Fox has a steady stream of washed up athletes and e-list actors appearing on the channel to talk politics, but when Lebron does it he should just stay in his lane and stick to dribbling.

I get all of my political insight from those Duck Dynasty nutjobs appearing on Fox News
Chris Long had a... long... twitter thread outlining all of the times Fox had athletes and other non-politicians giving their two cents on political issues. it was a fun read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2 View Post
What's her position? That if you aren't a political science major that you can't discuss politics?

That's her position today, but definitely didn't take the time to rip her network for all the times they ignored that position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
The stick to sports bit is so incredibly old.

Yup. As if merely living in the country and dealing with the policies being implemented doesn't give you a view into the politics you wish to discuss.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #38
rats60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Agreed....however....fair or unfair, LeBron's education ended at high school...and even then he knew he had a free pass so how much was he actually absorbing?

So maybe he really should stick to sports...
James said, "Me and my mom was poor." LeBron's education ended long before high school. LeBron should stick to what he is good at and work on his jump shot (37% outside 3 feet).
rats60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #39
duron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
James said, "Me and my mom was poor." LeBron's education ended long before high school. LeBron should stick to what he is good at and work on his jump shot (37% outside 3 feet).
So to preface this, I think James is simply wrong on basically all subjects he speaks on. Now let's say that only experts in their field or just those most knowledgeable about a subject were the people discussing political and social topics. What would be the benefit of that? That's not rhetorical either, I'm curious to know what you and others with this same opinion think would arise out of such an environment.

This whole "stay in your lane" type of dialectic isn't some magical formula for progress, it's probably the complete opposite.

"1998-99 Slam Funk
Way better design than those doughnut cards, IMO" -8collector34
duron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #40
Clarka3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duron View Post
So to preface this, I think James is simply wrong on basically all subjects he speaks on. Now let's say that only experts in their field or just those most knowledgeable about a subject were the people discussing political and social topics. What would be the benefit of that? That's not rhetorical either, I'm curious to know what you and others with this same opinion think would arise out of such an environment.

This whole "stay in your lane" type of dialectic isn't some magical formula for progress, it's probably the complete opposite.
well, we would certainly have more scientifically literate congressmen, considering they would have to be some type of science expert to serve on that committee. instead of, you know, an idiot bringing a snowball into the chamber and saying Global Warming doesn't exist... (forget how you feel about global warming or climate change, a snowball in DC during winter doesn't disprove global warming or climate change in the least).

but there's something to be said for "street smarts" or growing up dealing with the socioeconomic policies that affect you. I certainly can't say from personal experience that welfare helps people since I never had to use it personally, nor did my family. But I do have second-hand knowledge from working with my students who do get those benefits and i know what would happen if they were to not get those benefits. So while I might not be an "expert" in the traditional sense, I am in the trenches with kids that do have that experience and i do see what they do or don't have on a daily basis and i know most of them wouldn't be able to come to school if their families didn't get some sort of assistance because these kids would be required to work to help provide for their families to survive.

So while Lebron may not have had to deal with a lot of what poor black children had to deal with since he was good at basketball and had a clear path to getting out of that crappy situation he was born into, he certainly does enough work with underprivileged children to know what they are dealing with and fighting through to form a cogent opinion on the topic they were discussing. Which, was a topic she has zero experience to my knowledge: being a young black child in a country that really doesn't go out of its way to make them feel important and a president that says a ton of ridiculous things and contradicts himself and his staff on a daily basis.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...nt-to-the-hoop

but hey, she flubs the first few words of her segment. perhaps she should not talk on tv and stay in her lane. Jum Dock indeed.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.

Last edited by Clarka3; 03-02-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #41
callou2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
Don't forget she wrote a book in 2003 called "Shut Up and Sing"
Dont forget she also used to date Kieth Olberman. Also adopted 3 children, and is a breast cancer survivor. Also Dont forget Ingraham earned a B.A. degree at Dartmouth College in 1985 and a Juris Doctor degree at the University of Virginia School of Law in 1991. She is no dummy.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #42
dizzy4111

Quote:
Originally Posted by callou2131 View Post
Dont forget she also used to date Kieth Olberman. Also adopted 3 children, and is a breast cancer survivor. Also Dont forget Ingraham earned a B.A. degree at Dartmouth College in 1985 and a Juris Doctor degree at the University of Virginia School of Law in 1991. She is no dummy.

Her educational background makes her intellectual dishonesty all the more galling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still need: Red Shimmer /8; Black /1
dizzy4111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:47 PM   #43
ChicoCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRRABB View Post
I kid, but what's truly laughable is that Fox has a steady stream of washed up athletes and e-list actors appearing on the channel to talk politics, but when Lebron does it he should just stay in his lane and stick to dribbling.

I get all of my political insight from those Duck Dynasty nutjobs appearing on Fox News
You have to realize that these actors are "e-list" because they have been ostracized from Hollywood for daring to stray from the leftist groupthink that makes up the industry.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #44
duwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoCheese View Post
You have to realize that these actors are "e-list" because they have been ostracized from Hollywood for daring to stray from the leftist groupthink that makes up the industry.
They're e-listers because they were marginally famous decades ago and now still trying to do everything they can to rekindle any kind of buzz like being on Fox News/other news organizations or reality shows. Or maybe you just watched Charles in Charge re-runs and think Scott Baio's acting ability is on level with Tom Hanks, Sterling K. Brown and Bryan Cranston
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:56 PM   #45
jdandns

So Laura had to issue a "heartfelt" apology today after her advertisers punished her for cyberbullying a Parkland survivor. She must've ran out of athletes to attack.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:59 PM   #46
Siberian13

Quote:
So Laura had to issue a "heartfelt" apology today after her advertisers punished her for cyberbullying a Parkland survivor. She must've ran out of athletes to attack.
We will never have a shortage of knucklehead athletes
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:15 PM   #47
SDcardguy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
They're e-listers because they were marginally famous decades ago and now still trying to do everything they can to rekindle any kind of buzz like being on Fox News/other news organizations or reality shows. Or maybe you just watched Charles in Charge re-runs and think Scott Baio's acting ability is on level with Tom Hanks, Sterling K. Brown and Bryan Cranston
Fox interviewed Fabio today
SDcardguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:34 PM   #48
jdandns

I can't believe they're not better!
Old 03-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #49
Siberian13

Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #50
duwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDcardguy24 View Post
Fox interviewed Fabio today

It's just heartbreaking that he isn't getting the tv and movie roles that he wants purely based on his political beliefs like ChicoCheese believes
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote