Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

Notices

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (Pre-1980's)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #151
Doctor Claw
Member
 
Doctor Claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeanius View Post
I just started collecting Mantle a month or so ago - looking to put a nice set of base cards together, and will probably stop there. Focusing first and foremost on centering (would rather have a nicely centered 4 than an oc 7). To that end, here is one of my favorites, which just arrived today:



And...here's my 52T. Just a lowly 1...but I do think it presents extremely well for the grade (and the centering for this issue is pretty decent, too)







At this point I need six more base cards to complete the set (and would like to upgrade 5 others). Making progress!

Thanks for looking.
OUTSTANDING cards, both. Major congrats. That centering is far from the norm.
Doctor Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #152
Doctor Claw
Member
 
Doctor Claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitasfan View Post
1 down. Knocked my first major want of the year off my list. I was not expecting to find this at my LCS today but at the price I couldn't leave it behind. The card itself is super clean and if it were not for the 2 pinholes at the bottom it would have graded much higher IMO. Also picked up a complete 78 topps football set in near mint condition for 65 bucks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Very bright and clean card. Hard to beat that value. A pinhole can often be a collector's best friend
Doctor Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #153
Doctor Claw
Member
 
Doctor Claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
I shared this one on net54 so some of you vintage guys may have already seen it. I am understandably thrilled...

FullSizeRender (19) by thewescoast, on Flickr
I will shout that card out on every forum, LOL. Very, very, very few exist with that centering. Very few. And that would be reflected in a massive hammer price would that card ever surface at the likes of an REA or HA. Keep that one forever. Will never get tired of looking at it I am certain.
Doctor Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #154
rainmaker
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeanius View Post
I just started collecting Mantle a month or so ago - looking to put a nice set of base cards together, and will probably stop there. Focusing first and foremost on centering (would rather have a nicely centered 4 than an oc 7). To that end, here is one of my favorites, which just arrived today:



And...here's my 52T. Just a lowly 1...but I do think it presents extremely well for the grade (and the centering for this issue is pretty decent, too)







At this point I need six more base cards to complete the set (and would like to upgrade 5 others). Making progress!

Thanks for looking.
That thing isnt lowly! Eye appeal closer to vg/ex. I would call it an exceptional low grade card. Kudos
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152850287@N08/albums
rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #155
rainmaker
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Claw View Post
I will shout that card out on every forum, LOL. Very, very, very few exist with that centering. Very few. And that would be reflected in a massive hammer price would that card ever surface at the likes of an REA or HA. Keep that one forever. Will never get tired of looking at it I am certain.
Thank you bud! Its definitely found a spot in the vault.
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152850287@N08/albums
rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #156
Doctor Claw
Member
 
Doctor Claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
That thing isnt lowly! Eye appeal closer to vg/ex. I would call it an exceptional low grade card. Kudos
Yeah, that 1 completely blows away many an 85/15 2 and several 3s I have seen.
Doctor Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #157
jjeanius
Member
 
jjeanius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 1,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Claw View Post
Yeah, that 1 completely blows away many an 85/15 2 and several 3s I have seen.
Thanks guys! Very happy to have it.
jjeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #158
S2H904
Member
 
S2H904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FLA
Posts: 4,556
Default

Just arrived-autograph collector at heart.


__________________
autograph and card collector since 1988
S2H904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #159
guy3050
Member
 
guy3050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 22
Default

My pickups of the last month

IMG_0675 by Guy Bourque, on Flickr
guy3050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #160
jjeanius
Member
 
jjeanius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 1,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy3050 View Post
My pickups of the last month

IMG_0675 by Guy Bourque, on Flickr
Very nice! That 48 Leaf is pretty high up on my wishlist.
jjeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #161
mntwinsfan
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy3050 View Post
My pickups of the last month

IMG_0675 by Guy Bourque, on Flickr
Really nice cards! That 50 Bowman stands out to me because of the photo. Absolutely love it!
mntwinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #162
ghooper33
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 32
Default

I picked up this guy for my 48 Bowman set. It has been tough finding one decently centered.

ghooper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #163
jjeanius
Member
 
jjeanius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 1,117
Default

These two arrived today:



jjeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #164
WilsonCollector
Member
 
WilsonCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,183
Default

Wow you have a great eye for vintage, that 58 is crazy!
__________________
I am Largentcollector on other forums.
WilsonCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #165
alwaysworking
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 477
Default nice cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Claw View Post
OUTSTANDING cards, both. Major congrats. That centering is far from the norm.
Very nice!
alwaysworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #166
Bowman1951
Member
 
Bowman1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 759
Default

I like to share my vintage pickups in video form, completed this morning during our NorEaster in Boston.

https://youtu.be/WnRT3GvoQa4
Bowman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #167
jjeanius
Member
 
jjeanius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 1,117
Default

Thanks guys! I'm new to vintage, so it's been fun learning the ins and outs, and how prices can fluctuate quite dramatically within the same grade, etc. Totally different than collecting modern cards. Feels a bit more "needle in a haystack" at times, which adds to the excitement when I find one that fits the bill.
jjeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #168
bensie
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Desert
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeanius View Post
Thanks guys! I'm new to vintage, so it's been fun learning the ins and outs, and how prices can fluctuate quite dramatically within the same grade, etc. Totally different than collecting modern cards. Feels a bit more "needle in a haystack" at times, which adds to the excitement when I find one that fits the bill.
I also can't stand all the stupid parallels, auto cards, game used nonsense in modern cards. It's so terribly confusing. I like post-war vintage because it's so straight forward and simple by comparison.
bensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #169
joecarterfan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,007
Default

southworth by joecarterfan29, on Flickr

alston by joecarterfan29, on Flickr

yount by joecarterfan29, on Flickr

sutter by joecarterfan29, on Flickr

jenkins by joecarterfan29, on Flickr

maz by joecarterfan29, on Flickr

dawson by joecarterfan29, on Flickr
__________________
Always looking for the following:
2005 Legendary Cuts Materials
2001 Fleer Greats of the Game Autographs
2009 National Treasures Retired Signature Autographs
2005 Upper Deck Heroes Header Autographs
joecarterfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #170
Bowman1951
Member
 
Bowman1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
I also can't stand all the stupid parallels, auto cards, game used nonsense in modern cards. It's so terribly confusing. I like post-war vintage because it's so straight forward and simple by comparison.
All I did was nod along to everything I read that you said.

Bowman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #171
S2H904
Member
 
S2H904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FLA
Posts: 4,556
Default

__________________
autograph and card collector since 1988
S2H904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #172
pitch21
Member
 
pitch21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: IA
Posts: 1,785
Default

Picked this up with the 20% EBay code last week. Pretty pleased to add it to the PC

__________________
http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/pitch2021/library/?view=recent&page=1
pitch21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #173
bensie
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Desert
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitch21 View Post
Picked this up with the 20% EBay code last week. Pretty pleased to add it to the PC
Nice card! What is the 20% ebay code?
bensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #174
pitch21
Member
 
pitch21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: IA
Posts: 1,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
Nice card! What is the 20% ebay code?
Promotion last week that gave up to $100 off from any purchase for that day
__________________
http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/pitch2021/library/?view=recent&page=1
pitch21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #175
joecarterfan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,007
Default

dr. j by joecarterfan29, on Flickr

mccovey by joecarterfan29, on Flickr
__________________
Always looking for the following:
2005 Legendary Cuts Materials
2001 Fleer Greats of the Game Autographs
2009 National Treasures Retired Signature Autographs
2005 Upper Deck Heroes Header Autographs
joecarterfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.