Blowout Cards Forums
incentives bonus

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > GAMING BUY/SELL/TRADE

Notices

GAMING BUY/SELL/TRADE Post your GAMING Buy/Sell/Trade needs here.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
porkchop

Default Selling boxes versus opening

I'm kind of new to the TCG space but im seeing a different trend, compared to the sports cards. It looks like there are many more people opening entire cases of boxes just for the hell of it? It doesnt look like "breaking", so how are they making money? Is there more money selling Pokemon cards compared to selling boxes or cases?

Last edited by porkchop; 03-13-2018 at 12:55 PM.
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
swowannabe

You absolutely do not make money. Stores might open to sell singles, but I would imagine only with a decent markup does that actually net money. May be mostly a cash flow thing? i.e. singles are in demand and boxes are not, if you break even great, if you don't lose money you still have cash flow?

Otherwise people just like opening boxes here. Doubt many are legitimately looking to make money, more to play with. Entertainment value and all.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
porkchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by swowannabe View Post
You absolutely do not make money. Stores might open to sell singles, but I would imagine only with a decent markup does that actually net money. May be mostly a cash flow thing? i.e. singles are in demand and boxes are not, if you break even great, if you don't lose money you still have cash flow?

Otherwise people just like opening boxes here. Doubt many are legitimately looking to make money, more to play with. Entertainment value and all.
Not just here, but on youtube as well. I found it interesting that so many people make "opening pokemon" videos, compared to sports card videos which are usually only done for breaks.

I'm thinking they must own a shop where they are able to move the bulk, code cards and gx/ex/rares
Old 03-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
JenAndKylesCard

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
Not just here, but on youtube as well. I found it interesting that so many people make "opening pokemon" videos, compared to sports card videos which are usually only done for breaks.

I'm thinking they must own a shop where they are able to move the bulk, code cards and gx/ex/rares
Most of the pokemon "breakers" on youtube are doing it for the add revenue not for reselling the cards. The cards are just a way to get an audience for views.
JenAndKylesCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
swowannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAndKylesCard View Post
Most of the pokemon "breakers" on youtube are doing it for the add revenue not for reselling the cards. The cards are just a way to get an audience for views.
Concur. Their target audience (Grade-school and middle-school aged kids is my guess...) are going to be on YouTube a lot and what better way to get them to watch something than open a sweet Secret Rare Reverse Holo Mega-EX/FX/TX/GX/XX etc. I mean, they COULD do their school work or they could watch opening packs!