Blowout Cards Forums
Basketball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #51
fucgoof

1. $238M

2. I grew up in Denver in the 80's & 90's. The Rockies started their first year in '93 at historic Mile High Stadium. For the home games, you could go to the ticket office before each game and could purchase $1 seats before they sold out (right field in foul territory). My brother and I would ride our bikes 10 miles to the stadium every weekend home game hours beforehand to ensure we got seats. So many foul balls caught that we still have today.

3. 5 children in our family. Four daughters aged 15, 14, 12, & 10, and a son age 3
fucgoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #52
Bob Loblaw
Banned

1. $228.8m.

2. (tie) A. Staying up with my 8 year old (at the time) to watch the Phillies beat the Rays in Game 6 to win the World Series.

B. This is from 2011 - I posted to another message board back then.

"Over the past few weeks and months, I've been talking to Scott Mathieson (Phillies pitcher, closer in AAA last year and had 2 callups to Philly last year, slated to start this year in the Phils bullpen) about baseball cards and my little league. I'm the VP of a 700+ player Little League here. You wouldn't imagine the amount of work... anyway, I've been talking with Scott about getting him to do a clinic here, with a few other major/minor leaguers. During the course of our conversations, he asked about doing something this weekend. . . I advised that we had our 2nd weekend of Spring Training (tryouts/player evals) this Saturday morning from 9-1. So, he said that he'd love to come and help out... so after I got his DL and SS# to do his background check, he was good to go, so he was MORE than willing to come out. He hung out with me and another coach while the two of us evaluated two groups of 20 kids. He got there at 8:45 am, we hung out for a little while, then he did all of the grunt-work (throwing, pitching, catching) while we did the evals without a complaint and was thrilled to be out with us. We told the kids at the end and he gave out a ton of autos to kids and parents alike. We left the field at about 1 pm.

After the practice, he came back to my house for lunch (my wife put out a nice clubhouse-esque spread). He had asked me if the area where our LL was was "safe"... I said it was, he said he had something really valuable in the car. I had no idea it was that. When he got here, he handed me his Phillies team-issued pullover to keep and the 2008 World Series ring (NOT to keep ).

I tried to give him a huge stack of cards I had of his (that was what originally got us talking months ago), but he wouldn't take them...I forced him to take his 05 Finest Printing Proof auto and 05 Bowman Chrome RC Red Refractor /5. We talked for about 2 hours about everything...other Phillies, Pee Wee Herman, former Phillies minor leaguers, Cole Hamels, other guys, Kyle Kendrick and his arbitration deal, and lots of other things and he eventually left to go back to the Phillies spring training stadium to keep working out. He promised my son some more stuff next time we see each other.

He's going to have a clinic for us at our fields in 2 weeks, with Vance Worley and a few other players - potentially Dom Brown as well. He could not have been a more down to earth guy and a genuinely nice guy. I had been following Scott's up and down career since his draft, but has certainly become the favorite player of my household."

------------
(The clinic did go off as planned - Rich Thompson and another minor leaguer showed up with Scott and Vance - my son and I hung out with three guys who were playing/about to play in the major leagues during this clinic. It was great.)

3. 2 boys, 17 and 11.

Thanks!
Bob Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #53
GoldPanner

1. 196 million
2. I was about 14 I believe and there was about a week left of the 8th grade and I was feeling pretty down because at the time I had puppy love for this girl who was going to be moving away. The class all went to a minor league baseball game and I watched the starting pitcher warm up and would clap for him if I thought he threw a good pitch. He must of thought it was funny as after he was done he threw me the ball. At the time it really meant a lot me and made me feel a lot better. I just remember after that being ecstatic having that ball and getting to watc baseball. It really did make me feel better for a day. I still have that ball to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #54
jasonhopkins

1. 234.7

2. This is a tough one but I'm going to go with a proud father moment. Two years ago my boy was playing in a CAPS division of Little League. The regular season was over and he was selected as one of the little stars to represent our league in a district tournament. My son was the second youngest selected for the team and one of only two 6 year olds. In one of the games he had two glorious innings, the first one he made all three outs of the inning, one of them coming from a sliding catch. The other inning he was playing the pitcher position and he takes a shot off the shin, he's laying on the ground crying and in pain, grabs the ball, throws the player out from the ground and then goes back to rolling around on the ground in pain. The kid is a baller and he still plays the same way two years later. Baseball is one passion that he and I share and I couldn't be happier about it.

3. 8 year old son, 2 year old daughter, 3 month old son
jasonhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:54 AM   #55
Highstubbs

1) 225.25

Fondest memory...... both boys play ball, I think I would have to go with coaching both of them at Cooperstown dream park (all summer long baseball tournament for those that have never heard of it) and watching both boys hit hr's there was very special. Taking both of them to Cooperstown HOF, letting them explore and take that in. After the tourny taking them to: 1st) oldest got Yankee stadium, the original, 2nd) youngest got Camden yards. Btw my coaching record 0-13 there, did not want too play favorites .....so we lost all games.

Boys are 22 & 18 oldest still playing college ball

Last edited by Highstubbs; 04-25-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Stupid spell check
Highstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #56
KD35Russ0

Thanks, always so generous!

1) 298 mil

2) My fave baseball memory comes from Cooperstown. I believe it was the summer of 2000 and Cooperstown had a Mark McGwire HR King display up, specifically highlighting every home run he hit in 1998 and 1999. Every HR was charted on a stadium map with the distance of the homer. It was a very cool exhibit. We'll come back to this.

A year earlier in 99' as a ten year old, I went to Shea Stadium with my Dad (huge Cardinals fan), my best friend and his Dad. The game the day before had been cancelled, so we got to see a doubleheader, Mets vs. Cardinals. Big Mac was sitting on 48 homers, 3 behind Sammy Sosa, both trying to chase down the newly set record from the year prior. First inning, McGwire hits a bomb to right center in old Shea Stadium. It hits about 3/4 of the way up the scoreboard, 500+ feet, and knocks out a light bulb on Ray Lankford's #16 on the scoreboard lineup. Later that day, McGwire would hit #50. Very cool day spent with some of my favorite people. That AB can be seen at the 14 minute mark of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzfHuMtxyx8

Back to Cooperstown...we're looking over the chart for McGwire's HR's in 1999 and I notice that they list McGwire's 49th HR in 1999 as a 350 foot shot in Shea down the left field line. My memory from a year earlier triggered and I knew that it was wrong. We tracked down a HOF worker who connected us with some people in the research division which was down in the Archives of the HOF (very cool) and me and my friend, as 11 year old kids, had to explain to this baseball historian how we thought the chart was wrong. They did some research and confirmed that a mistake was made (amazingly, McGwire and the Cards played a double header in 98' against the Mets as well where Mac hit his 50th) and that they would have to make a change to the display. We were so proud.

Obviously it was just a small thing, but as a couple of 11 year olds, we figured we just changed baseball history and made it right. Still one of my fondest memories.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #57
Swipe79

Lots of interesting stories for question #2!
Old 04-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #58
dannyman

Thanks for the contest. I love these

1. 273 million

2. My favorite baseball memories are pretty simple. I enjoyed hanging out at the park before and after the game. Hotdogs, nachos, sodas. Is it weird that I had the most fun hanging with friends, eating concessions, and trading baseball cards?

My son is 6. He's looking forward to watching avengers this weekend, it's all he has talked about. GROOT is his favorite character.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dannyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #59
bbcardsrgreat

180.365 million

One of my fondest memories was taking my then 7 year old grandson to his first mlb game, to Camden Yards. First we took the metro train to down town. We got there early for youth Manny Machado jersey day. I'd course he had to put it on as soon as we were in the gates. Since they were one size they were XL and hung down to his ankles (more like a dress than a jersey) but he was proud as anything to have it on. When we at our second row seats down the right field line right at the ball girl, we had to duck once when Umbaldo Jimenez was throwing in the outfield. He came over to check to see if my granson was ok. He was really nice signed the ball that nearly hit him. He was a horrible Oriole but a super nice guy. Once the game started the Orioles jumped on the Twins early, to our suprise the couple of front of us left so we got to move up to the front row. My grandson was stoked, the field was so close and with the ball girl right there he talked with her for innings. The game was kinda slow until late when the Twins made a comeback. Edwin Santana hit a home run to right, when the O's fans threw it back it came to the ball girl she gave it to my grandson he was so excited to have a real game ball even if an Oriole didn't hit it. So when the game was over he got to run around the bases he was on the jumbotron in his Manny Machado XL jersey down to his ankles with the biggest smiles on his face better than any Christmas /Birthday that I can remember. When we got back to the metro to go back towards home he must of told the story to at least 20 strangers, it's why it is one of my favorite memoies

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2018, 06:05 AM   #60
mmbtvs
unregistered

Last day to get in
mmbtvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #61
Mamschler1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbtvs View Post
Last day to get in
Very cool of you to do this!

Thanks
Mamschler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:12 AM   #62
fungi2510

1. 278 Million

2. I have a bitter sweet memory, and it is more young adult, than childhood, but my last year of high school ball we were ranked #1 in the state for our school size. We knew we were not that good, but we had a tradition of being a baseball powerhouse, so it was more a reflection of the past than the present. We went on a slide, because we were not all that good, ended up losing in the first round of regionals. I didn't even get an at bat. Legion ball came around. My parents wanted me to quit to get a job before I went to college. I had little playing time during the second half of season, because I sucked. I was not going to stop though. I had dedicated years to this sport that I did love, it just was tough, because I was not as good as I wanted to be. Legion ball came, and we were terrible. We went into regionals as the last seed in the tournament. Our record was something around 12-40. We knocked off the top seed the first game, won our second and third games, and then won the championship in the fourth game on our home field. It was surreal to go through the season that we did, the highs and lows, and eventually be victorious. The six seniors hugged and knew that even though we were not great, we did what better teams before could not do: make it to the state tournament. We lost both games at state by a total of three runs. We were again the last seed in the tourney, so no one expected us to do anything. I ended the season on deck with runners at first and second. I still believe to this day that if I could have gotten to the plate, things might have been different. One of those what might have been scenarios. We cried after the game. Not one of us would play college ball, so it was our last game and it happened together. Honestly, even though most of us no longer are in contact(this happened 20 years ago this year), if we ever do meet up, we talk about that run through regionals. We talk about how opposing coaches called us the best #8 seed ever. We proved them right.

#3 My son will be turning five on May 3rd. We are super excited to see the new movie when mom comes back from a work trip on Monday!!!

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=dmkeil02
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #63
mmbtvs
unregistered

Just under 4 hours left.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:00 PM   #64
dashcol

1) $276.4 million

2) when I was 5 years old (or around there) my father worked for Marriott, and was assigned to Opening all new hotels. So, we moved every two or so years. That year we had just moved to St Louis, and we were staying in the hotel. It made for a poor part of my childhood, no friends ever, no set place to live and nothing to be excited about. We were in the elevator and two gentlemen came in and my parents immediately stopped talking and the gentlemen asked me if I liked baseball. I told them yes, and my favorite team was the Twins, favorite player was Kirby Puckett. This was around 1985. They laughed and asked if there any other teams I liked...I said no, because they all try to beat the Twins. Everyone laughed again and as we got to the lobby, one of them turned to me, took the ballcap from his head and put it on mine. He then told me he liked I kept my team above all others and said he was going to change my mind about the Twins, he was going to be sure of it! I didn’t say anything but just still told him no.
As they left my dad stopped us all and asked if I knew who that was. As a five year old there would not be that many people I would recognize so I said no. He said for me to remember the name he was about to tell me, because he was going to be someone I should know. He said the mans name was Ryan Sandberg and he was going to be one of the greats. I kept that hat and wore it for a long time, until my father sold it. To this day Sandberg is still the only Cub I have ever liked.

3) two kids. Both boys, ages 16 and 13.

Thanks for the cool contest, I love reading everyone’s stories!
Old 04-26-2018, 09:37 PM   #65
EricTownsend88

This is very cool thank you so much for doing this!

1.) $232.4M

2.) I was adopted at 6 years old into a family of Orioles fans. One of my earliest memories with my family was my dad & uncle taking me to my first baseball game - Opening Day 1992 at Camden Yards. The entire trip to Baltimore (from Delaware) my uncle was telling me about the Orioles players like Cal Ripken Jr., Mike Mussina, Brady Anderson, ect. I had a fresh official MLB ball and sharpie ready to try and get an autograph from one of these superstars I had just heard these awesome stories about. When we got to the ballpark I tried my best to get the attention of an O's player but to no avail. Chris Hoiles came over and started to sign for a few people but left before he got to me. I was feeling dejected and my dad & uncle gave me a nice pep talk about how I'd get one next time...then came over this HUGE dude from the opposing Cleveland Indians wearing #8. My dad whispered to me his name as he approached us and Albert Belle shook my hand, signed my ball, asked me if I was going to play little league that year and joked I was wearing the wrong teams colors. It was a moment I will remember for the rest of my life. Things in the beginning of my life weren't exactly easy and but at this moment I truly felt like the luckiest and happiest kid in the world. From that moment forward I became the biggest Albert Belle fan in the world, which lead me to becoming a Cleveland Indians fan, which lead me to getting these awesome cardboard things called baseball cards that year for my birthday and as soon as I ripped open my first pack of cards I had a new love and joy in my life.
EricTownsend88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:41 PM   #66
scurvey90

1) 291.2M

2) My son caught a ball from Amir Garrett this year at one of the few games that the Reds won. Held it the rest of the game, and fell asleep with it on our way back from the game in his lap.

3) 1 kid. He is 11
scurvey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #67
mmbtvs
unregistered

so far for Infinity war 39m Thursday 106m Friday
Old 04-29-2018, 12:12 AM   #68
dashcol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbtvs View Post
so far for Infinity war 39m Thursday 106m Friday
There has only been 23 movies to gross over $300 mil in their opening weekend. I think we may all be off a bit and this might end up being number 24. Saturday probably ended closer to $150 mill leaving only a couple more to be over 300. Should have guessed it would.

Do you guys know the number 1 opening weekend? It blew my mind when I read it.

Nope not Harry Potter. Not Star Wars. Not even a super hero or Disney movie.

It was ... The Fate of the Furious ...
$541,937,239. Ridiculous to me that this movie would make over half a billion dollars in a weekend.

Do you guys know what the highest grossing baseball movie of all time is? The #1 May surprise you.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:23 AM   #69
stellablue

I'd guess "A league of their own"..?
stellablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #70
dashcol

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellablue View Post
I'd guess "A league of their own"..?
That would be the #1 grossing at $107,533,928. That was in 1992. Today’s value would be $192,238,553 roughly.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #71
GoTribe!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashcol View Post
There has only been 23 movies to gross over $300 mil in their opening weekend. I think we may all be off a bit and this might end up being number 24. Saturday probably ended closer to $150 mill leaving only a couple more to be over 300. Should have guessed it would.

Do you guys know the number 1 opening weekend? It blew my mind when I read it.

Nope not Harry Potter. Not Star Wars. Not even a super hero or Disney movie.

It was ... The Fate of the Furious ...
$541,937,239. Ridiculous to me that this movie would make over half a billion dollars in a weekend.

Do you guys know what the highest grossing baseball movie of all time is? The #1 May surprise you.
Your numbers for The Fate of the Furious are world wide box office numbers not US. I don't think any movie has had a US box office opening weekend over $300 mil.
-TA
GoTribe!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:36 PM   #72
RaceDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
$258.2 million

What prognostication skills!!!
RaceDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #73
Bowman1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman1951 View Post
1. $252.8 million
Doh, I had the final two numbers backwards.
Bowman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #74
Bowman1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTribe!!! View Post
Your numbers for The Fate of the Furious are world wide box office numbers not US. I don't think any movie has had a US box office opening weekend over $300 mil.
This is the biggest domestic opening weekend ever, beating the Force Awakens by about $10M.
Bowman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:19 PM   #75
mmbtvs
unregistered

official number according to boxofficemojo.com is: Domestic: $257,698,183