Blowout Cards Forums
all star

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > OTHER SPORTS BOX & CASE BREAKS

Notices

OTHER SPORTS BOX & CASE BREAKS Post your OTHER SPORTS Box & Case Breaks Here!

Old 06-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #26
geoffyb

Dont forget about the auto printing plates we saw in natalyas pic that seem to have vanished from the product.
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:44 AM   #27
andyzk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasklein83 View Post
It's not about local card shops, it's about screwing your customer base. I'm sorry, but there is no rational reason that ever can justify buying retail. The odds of pulling something worthwhile in retail are astronomically bad. In most cases, you quite literally have a 10000% better chance of getting your money's worth in $60 of hobby product than $60 in retail. I live near 6 card shops, but I rarely go, because Blowout, D & A, EBay etc. have much better prices. Retail, for all intents and purposes, is a gateway drug. It's designed to get kids hooked and move them into the hobby. In this case, Topps put literally one of the 3 best cards in the set in a retail pack. That's the height of cynicism. It tells collectors, who spend enough on the hobby that it is, that Topps is going to start requiring you to waste your money on retail in the slimmest of slim hopes that you hit the golden ticket. I guarantee, that if you run the odds, the guy who pulled that HHH had an infinitely better chance of winning $100,000 in the state lotto spending $10 on lottery tickets than he had of pulling that card. The odds are astronomical, and buying retail is like buying a lottery ticket. That's not to say that buying Hobby isn't a gamble, but under the case hit doctrine, you have between a 1:6 and 1:12 chance of getting a nice hit in a hobby box. The rational consumer does not buy retail under any circumstances. By placing a top three hit in retail, Topps is essentially saying, "screw you, customer base. We're going to start putting the product hits in a product designed to appeal to six year olds in the freaking WalMart." It just really pisses me off. It's brilliant business on Topps' part, as it will increase interest in retail. That doesn't mean it's not a giant insult to the hobby fanbase, though.
Man someone looked wayyyy too into this. The sense of entitlement is staggering!!!!

Set Progress: 17/65 (26.1%)
andyzk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #28
Qwasian

I buy retail pretty often and have pulled several over $100 value cards out of retail.

bryce harper blue parallel auto being the highest, which I sold for $650 at the time.

but i'm not sure the odds of pulling out of retail are quite as bad as people think, and most of the retail stuff gets bought up/opened in my area.

as long as the pack odds are stated and the sale sheet situation is correct I don't see anything wrong with big hits in retail. I buy hobby and retail and have had better luck in hobby, but it's nice to get retail too when hobby isn't available or sold out on some products.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #29
Freewheelburnin
Banned

Dasklein83, do you need a tampon to stop that flow? Pretty sure you're bleeding pretty badly. Then again, after those rants I fully expect you to be a woman. So if you are, sorry for the tampon comment. If you're not, suck it up and move on. Don't be such a little girl.
Freewheelburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:31 AM   #30
andyzk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelburnin View Post
Dasklein83, do you need a tampon to stop that flow? Pretty sure you're bleeding pretty badly. Then again, after those rants I fully expect you to be a woman. So if you are, sorry for the tampon comment. If you're not, suck it up and move on. Don't be such a little girl.
LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Set Progress: 17/65 (26.1%)
andyzk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:42 AM   #31
Giantrobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickNeon View Post
Who cares? It's just a trading card.

That was so refreshing to see someone else with perspective here.

When I was a little kid, there were NO "card stores". I got packs at the corner store, the grocery store, K-Mart......retail. It was innocent fun. I enjoy buying cards at retail to this day. Yes, the choices are limited, but the core fun of just buying a pack is right there at those retail outlets. There is no extra BS, no dealing with weird and sad collectors at the store, just you and the packs you grab. The fact that you can get something really good out of those packs is wonderful.

Last edited by Giantrobot; 06-27-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Giantrobot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #32
dlouisb1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobot View Post

That was so refreshing to see someone else with perspective here.

When I was a little kid, there were NO "card stores". I got packs at the corner store, the grocery store, K-Mart......retail. It was innocent fun. I enjoy buying cards at retail to this day. Yes, the choices are limited, but the core fun of just buying a pack is right there at those retail outlets. There is no extra BS, no dealing with weird and sad collectors at the store, just you and the packs you grab. The fact that you can get something really good out of those packs is wonderful.

When I got home from the Air Force Kmart in my town was phenomenal with there selection.I'm talking a shelf the whole length of the register and sometimes the other side.Those were great days when you could get a whole box for around $20-30.You would get that special insert or serial #'ed card and make 10-20 times the basic $1 you get for rookie auto's now.I remember my mom opened a box with me one day and said"is this a special card." It was an auto of Nascar driver Bill Elliot.It booked for $100 at the time.My neighbor offered me $85 on the spot and I took it.Those were some fun times.
dlouisb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #33
storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasklein83 View Post
No offense, but it's ridiculous that stuff like that is being put in retail. I would venture to say that 30% of the retail packs produced will never be opened. It boggles the mind that they would do that, and it's just further evidence that Topps and Panini are going to continue to screw the hobby market to put Willy Wonka-esque golden tickets in retail. Nonetheless, congratulations.
So they should put nothing in retail? Word of advice- NEVER start your own buisness! Should they just state on the package, that you should let the packs just sit there and buy a hobby box instead? One of the dumbest things I've ever read on these boards, and your defense maybe worse. I'm pretty much a hobby box only breaker, but love threads like this. What if the op has a limited amount of funds? Great idea, let's take the 30 he spent and order online, after shipping costs his 3 packs become if he's lucky maybe 2! Sounds like someone opened a crappy HOBBY box and just wants to rain on someone elses parade.
OP, sorry for the rant and despite my hate for the slimeball on the card, congrats on the 1/1!
And after doing some searching, I was right. Sorry for your 2 crappy HOBBY boxes

Last edited by storm; 07-03-2014 at 07:56 PM.
storm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #34
duwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm View Post
So they should put nothing in retail? Word of advice- NEVER start your own buisness! Should they just state on the package, that you should let the packs just sit there and buy a hobby box instead? One of the dumbest things I've ever read on these boards, and your defense maybe worse. I'm pretty much a hobby box only breaker, but love threads like this. What if the op has a limited amount of funds? Great idea, let's take the 30 he spent and order online, after shipping costs his 3 packs become if he's lucky maybe 2! Sounds like someone opened a crappy HOBBY box and just wants to rain on someone elses parade.
OP, sorry for the rant and despite my hate for the slimeball on the card, congrats on the 1/1!
And after doing some searching, I was right. Sorry for your 2 crappy HOBBY boxes

yeah it is funny how some say people shouldn't pack search because they're taking any of the good hits from retail away from younger collectors. But now when someone pulls a great card from retail they say there shouldn't even be great cards being put into retail
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #35
WhacksPacks

Congrats! Love that they put this stuff in retail!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #36
Giantrobot

I pulled the Undertaker Hat card (1:1,975 packs) from a Wal-Mart rack pack last week.
Giantrobot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #37
Jedi1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobot View Post
I pulled the Undertaker Hat card (1:1,975 packs) from a Wal-Mart rack pack last week.
I bought 2 Hobby boxes hit a Fernando relic, Reigns mat card, Batista Championship Plate, and Diesel printing plate, but it was in a Wal Mart rack pack that I hit an auto. It was Kane, which was cool since I'm a Kane fan.
Jedi1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #38
big4mi2ke0

Nice hit OP, ignore the jealous rants of people trying to justify their jealousy by saying that retail doesn't deserve top hits.

I live close to a few card shops, but sometimes I just want to grab a twelve-pack, some shampoo, and a couple rack packs.
big4mi2ke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #39
wt55kt15

Congrats! Triple H is a good one!

GO JAGS, GO METS, GO GATORS
wt55kt15 is online now   Reply With Quote