Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
zonacats8

Default What Grinds My Gears - ePack Trading Edition

Figured this could be a fun thread (also could turn into some nasty fights and pissing people off, but what the hell, let's give it a shot).....

Asking for trade offers in the chat, giving a fair offer based on what that person asked for, yet getting no response of any kind while that same person continues to ask for trades in the chat on there.

If you want to think about an offer or see what else comes in, that's fine, but at least just shoot a quick message over saying you're thinking about the offer. If you aren't interested in that offer, just decline it, don't leave it sitting there for hours on end until it expires. To then see that same person then complain in the chat that nobody is trading or offering trades, when you know they have a fair offer from you sitting there is just beyond frustrating.

I have plenty of more, but don't want to just start the thread with my own complaints, will add some more soon... curious to see what others feel about the trading on there......
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
Yari2k16

Similar in a way trying to trade with someone only for them to block you even though they never responded to the trade. I tried trading with someone they never responded so I kept adding things to reset the timer. Then I was blocked. I understand being tired of an offer but had he simply declined the initial offer I wouldn't have tried to reset the trade timer. I get that the silence should do as an answer however some people don't check it everyday.
Yari2k16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #3
Portlaw

While I don't have a whole load of experience on epack one thing that bugged me was hostility for lack of a better word (hostility probably isn't the correct word to use at all) from some people. I tried trading one card for another so I sent the offer to multiple people with that card, everybody declined which was no problem but one member added a comment to the effect of 'seriously? think about this offer. do you really think anyone would do this?'. Now while the person was right as no one excepted it, I ended up selling it for more on ebay than the card I tried trading for so it wasn't as if it was a ridiculous base card for a sketch card type trade. It's nothing major just got under my skin a little
Portlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
Bryanjs14
Banned

Offering someone exactly what they asked for and then them changing their mind.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
zonacats8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portlaw View Post
While I don't have a whole load of experience on epack one thing that bugged me was hostility for lack of a better word (hostility probably isn't the correct word to use at all) from some people. I tried trading one card for another so I sent the offer to multiple people with that card, everybody declined which was no problem but one member added a comment to the effect of 'seriously? think about this offer. do you really think anyone would do this?'. Now while the person was right as no one excepted it, I ended up selling it for more on ebay than the card I tried trading for so it wasn't as if it was a ridiculous base card for a sketch card type trade. It's nothing major just got under my skin a little
This is a very interesting one, because what this really is about, is how people value their cards on there.

I both HATE and LOVE how people value their cards on the site, as it can both be extremely frustrating, but can also be VERY beneficial if you know how to "work the system" if you will.

People over value their sketch cards, point blank, no way around it. There are TONS of $10-15 sketches based on what comparable sketches by the same artist and from the same set actually sell for. Yet people will put a $40+ value on that sketch card when talking trades for said $15 sketch.

This can be frustrating when you then deal with someone who is reasonable and looks up artists values. Because they want to trade their $40 sketch for your $40 sketch, which is all fine and good, but I also know that by trading it to that person, I'm going to get fair value for my sketch.

Unless I'm getting a card that is 100% PC and won't ever try to trade it, I just can't make those deals as someone else will give me $75-100 in value for my $40 sketch.

I've done VERY well in "gaming the system" in that sense, have made plenty of 1 for 2 deals that gave me both a PC piece and a nice trade bait piece because of this.

This happened to me yesterday, and I straight up told the person, "that is a very fair trade in value, but I just can't make this trade as I know for a fact someone else will give me double the value in return for this card as it's a desired artist on here, despite what they actually sell for on ebay."

The card I was getting in return was only like a 75% keeper, so I just couldn't pull the trigger, and I'm glad I did, as I ended up trading my sketch later that day for something that was immediately locked and will never be offered in a deal.

I'm quite sure I've rubbed a few people the wrong way with some offers I've made due to everything I've explained above, but it's just a numbers game, make 5 or 6 similar offers and odds are someone is going to really like the sketch you're offering and give you more than it probably should net in return.

But honestly, I'm okay with upsetting a few people if that's the case, it's allowed me to build up a really nice collection. One of these days I'll unlock everything I've acquired to show it off before sending them to me, but I've turned 4 self-pulled sketches into 13 sketches in my collection, with only 2 notable "valuable" non-sketch hits, both of which still only netted me I think 1 sketch each in return for them.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
ForceChange77

You may get more responses in the general ebay/shipping/comc forum.
ForceChange77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #7
jdhaugh11

I wish you would get an email each time a trade was offered, or at least a setting to add this.
I have missed a few trades because I don't check it everyday.
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #8
Zeldafanatic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
I wish you would get an email each time a trade was offered, or at least a setting to add this.
I have missed a few trades because I don't check it everyday.
There is, go to settings, and turn on emails for all trades.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Zeldafanatic15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Xazark

I have found having a large portion of my collection available for trade actually limits the trades that are offered and when I do get a trade they are mostly heavily in the other persons favour.

I also find it difficult to have a conversation with people, you need to be super active to deal with people well otherwise it just gets lost and people trade away things you are after and you have to start again. Last time I checked, you also couldn't get email alerts for Private Messages, so I often miss them unless I log in every day.
Xazark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #10
Malavon

It gets tiresome after a while.

I had a LOT of fun with Captain America 75th doing a ton of trading with a few boxes and ending up with a master set and a few nice sketches. But it's a lot of effort to keep trading on a consistent basis for more sets.

I have a somewhat small collection on epack (1500 cards) and I get on average a trade a day. I feel bad leaving so many expired trades, but most of the trades I get are nothing special and I don't feel like dealing with it when I'm not actively trying to complete any sets right now.
Malavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #11
webjon

Traders who bash the cards they are trying to trade from you. "That card sucks, you are lucky I even want it" kind of thing.

It would be nice to see some new people posting on the discussions.
webjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:33 PM   #12
mf1971999

I've had decent luck - if I see a trade out of balance I try to explain why I see it that way. But at the same time, I know one time it was something like a Moss for a Crosby, and I fell into the "seriously?" trap.

For those who want to trade here is my suggestion - if you're starting the trade, that means you want what I have. Don't walk in like you're doing me a favor asking for my cards. Pretty much what Jon said above. If you want my card, make it worth my time. I just put in a trade for a double and quad that I covet HARD, so I figure I needed to make it worth his time. two 5x7s, a quad and five triples is my offer. Now that's extreme because I am sick in the head, but the point is that if you want a card, make a good offer, and research it if needed. Between COMC and EBAY you can get a pretty good price starting point to value out each side of the trade, then you should adjust based on the characters. Spidey? Up 10%. Massive cleavage? Up 40%. Falcon? Down 30%. You get the point.

And finally, read your messages before you send them. Text messages are HARD when it comes to inferring tone. If someone sees your trade and doesnt immediately like it, they are going to filter anything you type with a critical eye, reading into it in ways you might not have intended and making your job tougher. Read the message to yourself in a snobby cheerleader voice and see if the message changes. Also record yourself reading it and post it here for us all to enjoy.
mf1971999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #13
AceGambit3

I for some reason can't respond to anyone who sends me a message on there (no matter what I do I get an "error sending message". So if dfsportscards on UD e-pack is on the forums here...pm me HERE lol
AceGambit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #14
nanners13

It is 10x harder dealing with people on the Sports (hockey) forum then it is on the Non sports. 10x more drama on the sports side too. People are MUCH nicer on the entertainment forum
nanners13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #15
booswain

Most folks are nice. Some are difficult but not mean and a couple are jerks but most are wonderful. I spend too much time and money on it but its mainly fun. Thanks to everyone for good trades and talks
booswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #16
Spazzy

I have a hard time getting people to respond just to see what they want to sell something for...some people have a bunch of cards I want, but wont respond...I know they must check out the site once in awhile..a simple not interested or f off would be a better response..I guess some people are just sitting in $ to not need some good sales..I am not talking base cards, but $50-$150 cards.

Ive also seen the other side where people are quick to respond, and make the sale fast.

Also had one that responded, said let me know a price, gave a price, not good enough said he will list it on comc..and yet they still sit there...even asked when he might list but was ignored...been about 2 months still waiting.

Last edited by Spazzy; 03-22-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #17
Cujobyte

To answer some who wonder why others let trades go rather than decline is simple: You cannot rate a trade that has been expired, but you can when one has declined/accepted.

I generally write a note in the comments "This is a pc item" etc if I'm keeping. I also stay off the site for months at a time tho, mostly to abstain from spending $$. I won't be buying again till Summer when DD comes out.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #18
zonacats8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
To answer some who wonder why others let trades go rather than decline is simple: You cannot rate a trade that has been expired, but you can when one has declined/accepted.

I generally write a note in the comments "This is a pc item" etc if I'm keeping. I also stay off the site for months at a time tho, mostly to abstain from spending $$. I won't be buying again till Summer when DD comes out.
Why does that matter?

You have 300+ ratings at a high level, it would take like 50+ 1 star ratings and nothing else to even put a dent in your feedback.

Also... those aren't like feedback on here where it proves your a trustworthy trader/seller/buyer... do you really care what your rating on there is?

Also.... if you decline, only you can rate them, so you'd only be eating there offer, they couldnt rate you anyways.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #19
Cujobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
Why does that matter?

You have 300+ ratings at a high level, it would take like 50+ 1 star ratings and nothing else to even put a dent in your feedback.

Also... those aren't like feedback on here where it proves your a trustworthy trader/seller/buyer... do you really care what your rating on there is?

Also.... if you decline, only you can rate them, so you'd only be eating there offer, they couldnt rate you anyways.
I really could care less bout my personal rating there, but I'm giving you a reason why most will just let it expire. The other one is they just want to keep their cards, like Lenny. I've never been able to do a trade or even buy stuff off him lol.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #20
Wombat

Gotta love those "SICK!" card offers

Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #21
Spazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
I really could care less bout my personal rating there, but I'm giving you a reason why most will just let it expire. The other one is they just want to keep their cards, like Lenny. I've never been able to do a trade or even buy stuff off him lol.
Ive had no luck either with him... waiting on his listings ..must be rolling in $
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote