Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #176
matpat21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
Due to a lack of time I haven't been able to grill as much here recently, but I did manage to smoke a 4lb pork butt last weekend that came out excellent. I've done a couple before that came out decent, but it seemed something was lacking or was taken off a little to early. This last one I decided to use a variety of different seasonings instead of just bbq. It was a mix of bbq, maple, crushed peppers, basil, and chipotle. I left it on a little longer this time and it was melt in your mouth fantastic.
Sounds good! How long does it take to smoke a 4 pounder and at what temp?

Last weekend I smoked a 10 pounder and a 9 pounder for my party and used a combination of course dizzy dust, brown sugar and swamp venom as my rub, it was great but took 31 hours to smoke luckily I planned to have the meat ready a day before or I would have been screwed! I'm pretty upset at myself for forgetting to take pics!!!
matpat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #177
bigzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by matpat21 View Post
Sounds good! How long does it take to smoke a 4 pounder and at what temp?

Last weekend I smoked a 10 pounder and a 9 pounder for my party and used a combination of course dizzy dust, brown sugar and swamp venom as my rub, it was great but took 31 hours to smoke luckily I planned to have the meat ready a day before or I would have been screwed! I'm pretty upset at myself for forgetting to take pics!!!
Yowzers! 31 hours? I try to keep mine at 225. No higher than 250. I had the 4 pounder on for right at 8 hours. It was a bonless roast for what it's worth. 2 hours per pound is generally a pretty close estimate.
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #178
hotbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Disappointed that I only got 3 lbs of this goodness...then again its possible that 1/2 lb disappeared before the weigh in I took the meat and shredded it for my Pulled Goose BBQ I make. Figured with the slices once warmed and slathered in BBQ and I add an assortment of hot peppers to my sandwich (we've got a few that cant handle heat so I have to go generic for them) our Duck Camp Lunch/Dinner will be great.

That looks sweet!
Old 09-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #179
TheHeel

Just made this....grilled swordfish from Whole Paycheck (Whole Foods) at $19.99/lbs.

This was excellent. 5 minutes at 500 then flipped for 3 minutes....

Attachment 171304

I do not have a BGE XL yet so I had to use the gas grill.....

Last edited by TheHeel; 07-28-2014 at 05:28 PM.
TheHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #180
beaver1080

here's another salmon from last month. just a little guy but dinner was nice. about as fresh as can be. caught and cooked 7 hours later

Old 09-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #181
xbignick

Old 09-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #182
xbignick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
I also got a new type of charcoal roto last week. I stopped by a friends place who was grilling meat off and fell in love with it. Actually got two different ones. A Speducci and this cyprian style charcoal bbq....

In my garage after I put it together..

in action (not mine). Lamb being roto'd

Having family from Greece, loved eating that daily when I was over there, though strangely I liked it with pork more than goat.

Also, screw all you guys, haha, being from North NJ, don't have anywhere to grill really but the park and when we tried that people just hovered around us asking for food.

Anyway, one of my favorite things to grill: Sheftalia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kind of like sausage with a looser casing.

Anyway, how were those dizzy rubs? Not a fan of wet sauces or a vinegar base, so want to try some dry rubs for things I make at home.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #183
TheHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
Having family from Greece, loved eating that daily when I was over there, though strangely I liked it with pork more than goat.

Also, screw all you guys, haha, being from North NJ, don't have anywhere to grill really but the park and when we tried that people just hovered around us asking for food.

Anyway, one of my favorite things to grill: Sheftalia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kind of like sausage with a looser casing.

Anyway, how were those dizzy rubs? Not a fan of wet sauces or a vinegar base, so want to try some dry rubs for things I make at home.
Which park???
Old 10-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #184
iluvfish2

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Benfit of a hot smoker (busy smoking all of my peppers - last weekend Pobalano's - tonight Serranos)...but anyways now this is a nice little nighttime snack

Old 10-24-2013, 03:59 AM   #185
xbignick

Quote:
Benfit of a hot smoker (busy smoking all of my peppers - last weekend Pobalano's - tonight Serranos)...but anyways now this is a nice little nighttime snack
When I was little, I'd just do that over the gas oven.

I would "accidentally" put them on fire and blow them out. The black crisp is not good for you, but damn it was delicious.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #186
iluvfish2

I'm a no black mashmellow fan.

But TRICK OR TREAT - I'm saying all TREAT

Texas BBQ Rubbed Redhead Breasts (huge batch of Serrano's underneath)

But since that wouldnt be done in time...here's a Mallard we got this past weekend. Done like a beer can chicken. But used Code Red. Injected with Creole Butter, smothered in Cajun Run. Didnt last 5 min out of the oven.

Prepped Cooking

Finished

Old 11-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #187
TheHeel

Just ordered a turkey fryer for Thanksgiving! Will post pics of the beast..
Old 12-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #188
matpat21

Found an XL BGE deal during my daily Craigslist search that I could not pass up. I now have a Large and XL, on to figuring out my patio set up :special:
matpat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #189
iluvfish2

Somehow a new Bradley Smoker made its way from our Ducks Unlimited Banquet to my garage

Santa brought me 3 big boxes of chips for it...so I think I'll be having a date with some cherry briquettes and some Baby Back Ribs..soon
Old 12-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #190
bigzig

Quote:
Somehow a new Bradley Smoker made its way from our Ducks Unlimited Banquet to my garage

Santa brought me 3 big boxes of chips for it...so I think I'll be having a date with some cherry briquettes and some Baby Back Ribs..soon
Sounds tasty. I haven't had the time recently to get my egg out. Need to get my fix soon!
Old 12-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #191
TheHeel

The Big Green Egg XL has been ordered! Pick up tomorrow or Sunday.

Give me some good recipes for The Beast!
Old 12-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #192
bigzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeel View Post
The Big Green Egg XL has been ordered! Pick up tomorrow or Sunday.

Give me some good recipes for The Beast!
I like this site a lot. He uses more than just the egg, but every recipie can be done on the egg.

Killer Barbecue and Grilling Recipes
Old 12-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #193
TheHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
I like this site a lot. He uses more than just the egg, but every recipie can be done on the egg.

Killer Barbecue and Grilling Recipes
Thank you....I will be using those recipes at some point.

Now......

Here she is.....

THE BEAST
Attachment 188312

Old 12-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #194
bigzig

Pecan smoked short ribs. Mmmmm

Old 12-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #195
TheHeel

Popped my BGE cherry today....

Since I am on an Ipad, I have to create three different posts....
Attachment 188679

Old 12-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #196
TheHeel

Attachment 188680

Mmmmm,mmmmm

Old 12-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #197
TheHeel

Attachment 188681

2 hours at 225.
Wrapped in foil for an hour.
Put bbq sauce on for last 30 min.

Taste was wonderful but it wasn't falling off the bone....suggestions?

Leave it on longer?

Old 12-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #198
mikestrick

Quote:
Attachment 188681

2 hours at 225.

Leave it on longer?
Most people do the 3, 2, 1 method with ribs. Rub and smoke for 3 hours, Wrap in foil and smoke for 2 hours (could pour a little apple juice in the foil to help with moisture but not necessary), unwrap and slather with sauce and smoke for an hour or until the racks are floppy when you pick up one end with your tongs.
mikestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:22 AM   #199
archiebunkerjr

Quote:
Attachment 188681

2 hours at 225.

Leave it on longer?
You don't want ribs to fall off the bone. If your ribs fall off the bone, it means they lost too much moisture and they are overcooked. (But hey, most people like it when they are fall of the bone so that's OK.) The best way to know ribs are done is to pick up the ribs lengthwise with some tongs. The end of the tongs should go to the middle of the rack of ribs. If the ribs bend almost 90 degrees without breaking, that is the ideal amount of cooking time. If they break, you cooked them too long. If they do not bend almost 90 degrees, they are undercooked. Here is a picture to show the bend test. The Texas BBQ Forum • View topic - Newbie question on smoking pulled pork & ribs

Also, you know your ribs are done when you bite into the meat of the ribs and the meat comes off with minimal resistance. If you have to gnash your teeth into the meat and tear it away from the bone, you have undercooked your ribs.

I use to smoke ribs using the 3-2-1 method. Three hours in the smoker, wrap them in foil with a little bit of moisture for 2 hours , and then set on the smoker again for an hour. The whole time the ribs would be cooking at 225 to 240 degrees. The first thing I learned was that 2 hours in the foil was way too long. When I took the foil off, the ribs were so overcooked and falling off the bone that it wouldn't even need that last hour. So I reduced the foiling time to about an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and 30 minutes and I had more success.

Then I learned that the ribs didn't need a full hour on the smoker after they were removed from the foil. When I take the ribs out of the foil, the ribs would already pass the almost 90 degree bend test. Now, I remove them from the foil and set them on my smoker for only 5 to 10 minutes if they achieve the almost 90 degree bend test after foil removal. The 5 or 10 minutes on the smoker will help tighten up the meat and will allow any bbq sauce that you may have added to warm and adhere to the ribs.

Once I got the foiling and foil removal times established, I learned that I didn't have to smoke the ribs a full 3 hours before foiling them. 2 to 2.5 hours should be sufficient. This is the time when your ribs will take in their smoke flavor. But you really speed up the cooking time of the ribs (or brisket or pork butts) when you foil them.

Now that I have reread your post, it appears your smoke was not too far off from what I just detailed. If I read your post correctly, you placed the ribs on the smoker for 2 hours, then 1 hour in foil and then 30 minutes back on the smoker for a total cook time of 3.5 hours. Sounds to me like you may have cooked those ribs the way they should be cooked. Because your ribs did not fall off the bone, you know that you did not overcook them. I know that you didn't do the almost 90 degree bend test. But did the meat come off the bone with minimal resistance?

So those are some of my rib smoking techniques. I would like to recommend the next time you smoke ribs, do 2 different racks. Smoke one of them using the true 3-2-1 method and try my method with the other. You will observe noticeable differences between the cooking method.

By the way, congrats on the BGE purchase. You just elevated your dining. Be sure to find yourself a good bbq message board.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #200
TheHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrick View Post
Most people do the 3, 2, 1 method with ribs. Rub and smoke for 3 hours, Wrap in foil and smoke for 2 hours (could pour a little apple juice in the foil to help with moisture but not necessary), unwrap and slather with sauce and smoke for an hour or until the racks are floppy when you pick up one end with your tongs.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiebunkerjr View Post
You don't want ribs to fall off the bone. If your ribs fall off the bone, it means they lost too much moisture and they are overcooked. (But hey, most people like it when they are fall of the bone so that's OK.) The best way to know ribs are done is to pick up the ribs lengthwise with some tongs. The end of the tongs should go to the middle of the rack of ribs. If the ribs bend almost 90 degrees without breaking, that is the ideal amount of cooking time. If they break, you cooked them too long. If they do not bend almost 90 degrees, they are undercooked. Here is a picture to show the bend test. The Texas BBQ Forum • View topic - Newbie question on smoking pulled pork & ribs

Also, you know your ribs are done when you bite into the meat of the ribs and the meat comes off with minimal resistance. If you have to gnash your teeth into the meat and tear it away from the bone, you have undercooked your ribs.

I use to smoke ribs using the 3-2-1 method. Three hours in the smoker, wrap them in foil with a little bit of moisture for 2 hours , and then set on the smoker again for an hour. The whole time the ribs would be cooking at 225 to 240 degrees. The first thing I learned was that 2 hours in the foil was way too long. When I took the foil off, the ribs were so overcooked and falling off the bone that it wouldn't even need that last hour. So I reduced the foiling time to about an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and 30 minutes and I had more success.

Then I learned that the ribs didn't need a full hour on the smoker after they were removed from the foil. When I take the ribs out of the foil, the ribs would already pass the almost 90 degree bend test. Now, I remove them from the foil and set them on my smoker for only 5 to 10 minutes if they achieve the almost 90 degree bend test after foil removal. The 5 or 10 minutes on the smoker will help tighten up the meat and will allow any bbq sauce that you may have added to warm and adhere to the ribs.

Once I got the foiling and foil removal times established, I learned that I didn't have to smoke the ribs a full 3 hours before foiling them. 2 to 2.5 hours should be sufficient. This is the time when your ribs will take in their smoke flavor. But you really speed up the cooking time of the ribs (or brisket or pork butts) when you foil them.

Now that I have reread your post, it appears your smoke was not too far off from what I just detailed. If I read your post correctly, you placed the ribs on the smoker for 2 hours, then 1 hour in foil and then 30 minutes back on the smoker for a total cook time of 3.5 hours. Sounds to me like you may have cooked those ribs the way they should be cooked. Because your ribs did not fall off the bone, you know that you did not overcook them. I know that you didn't do the almost 90 degree bend test. But did the meat come off the bone with minimal resistance?

So those are some of my rib smoking techniques. I would like to recommend the next time you smoke ribs, do 2 different racks. Smoke one of them using the true 3-2-1 method and try my method with the other. You will observe noticeable differences between the cooking method.

By the way, congrats on the BGE purchase. You just elevated your dining. Be sure to find yourself a good bbq message board.
Thank you for the great post!

I had to really bite to get the meat off in certain areas. Judging from your post, I may have taken them off too soon.

Today, I try pork butt.....

It is only a 2.5 lbs. i am going to put rub on it, let it sit in thekitchen for an hour and then smoke it for about 4-5 hours at 250. Any suggestions to make it better?