BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 PM   #1
PejaD

Default MLB Pipeline Midseason Top 100

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=prospects
PejaD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:38 PM   #2
brianleonard

The fact that Amed Rosario is still in the minors with the team the Mets are running out there every day is a travesty.
brianleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:56 AM   #3
Tarheelsfan2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianleonard View Post
The fact that Amed Rosario and Dominic Smith are still in the minors with the team the Mets are running out there every day is a travesty.
There. Fixed it for you.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:01 AM   #4
azbaseballfan

I don't think there has been an MLB pipeline list in recent memory with all top 10 prospects being position players

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
azbaseballfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
thenwhatjk

What a weird time to be a white sox fan
Old 07-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
sigmachi

I think we'll look back at 2017 Bowman in a couple years and marvel at how amazing of a product it was....so many autos of the top guys
Old 07-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
dasiegel

Seems like a pretty solid list but there are some strange rankings. Greene and McKay being top 25 right away is not normal. I also think it's time to rethink if Meadows is truly a top 20 prospect.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
Tarheelsfan2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
Seems like a pretty solid list but there are some strange rankings. Greene and McKay being top 25 right away is not normal. I also think it's time to rethink if Meadows is truly a top 20 prospect.
Strange rankings indeed. I don't know how Leody Tavares jumps 23 spots to #32 and yet Maitan falls 12 spots to #44, while Luis Robert stays at #26.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
dasiegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelsfan2012 View Post
Strange rankings indeed. I don't know how Leody Tavares jumps 23 spots to #32 and yet Maitan falls 12 spots to #44, while Luis Robert stays at #26.
Good point on Maitan. I need to see more before I jump on the bandwagon but if you hit .300 in the appy at 17, I'm not sure how you ever go down. I feel like BO members should peer review these lists. I really feel they just straight up make a few mistakes because it's such a long list and takes a lot of work.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #10
StlScott

I know. I know. Scouting the stat line is bad. Crossing the beams kind of bad (Ghostbusters). However, I have no clue how Moncada is #1 based on his stats at AAA. Put those stats on anyone else 22 years old in AAA and they might not make the top 100. You have to perform at some point.
StlScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #11
dasiegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlScott View Post
I know. I know. Scouting the stat line is bad. Crossing the beams kind of bad (Ghostbusters). However, I have no clue how Moncada is #1 based on his stats at AAA. Put those stats on anyone else 22 years old in AAA and they might not make the top 100. You have to perform at some point.
I know what you mean but it's too early to remove him from the top spot. Buxton held the top spot for 100 years lol. But generally when someone has raw skills this special you gotta be a little more patient. He just turned 22 and this is his 2nd stint with the bigs. Some guys don't get the call til 24. He's a 2nd baseman with pop. If he projects out he could have seasons where he's .275-28- with 25-30 HRs and 20-25 SBs. That is pretty solid stuff. If they had Rosario or Torres I wouldn't cry but those guys haven't done it at the next level or even tried.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #12
RetailChamp

No love for Austin Hays (BAL) makes me sad
RetailChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #13
StlScott

Quote:
I know what you mean but it's too early to remove him from the top spot. Buxton held the top spot for 100 years lol. But generally when someone has raw skills this special you gotta be a little more patient. He just turned 22 and this is his 2nd stint with the bigs. Some guys don't get the call til 24. He's a 2nd baseman with pop. If he projects out he could have seasons where he's .275-28- with 25-30 HRs and 20-25 SBs. That is pretty solid stuff. If they had Rosario or Torres I wouldn't cry but those guys haven't done it at the next level or even tried.
Buxton is the PERFECT example. All the talent in the world and even destroys AAA BTW.. I still hope something clicks with him

I would take Rosario and Torres cause I view them as safer. Of course, I said Judge would never make it and well we all know that worked out.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
Hail2TheVictors

Quote:
I've never understood folks putting a 2B at #1 overall. Then you look at what Moncada has done, and he's been pretty average this year. Not much extra base pop, and striking out a ton.

Then you have a guy like Amed Rosario, who gives you above average defense at a premium position. How is Moncada ahead of Amed?
Hail2TheVictors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #15
dasiegel

Quote:
Buxton is the PERFECT example. All the talent in the world and even destroys AAA BTW.. I still hope something clicks with him

I would take Rosario and Torres cause I view them as safer. Of course, I said Judge would never make it and well we all know that worked out.
Well I had a blue gem Judge, and a green gem Judge and I made $100 off each and thought I was the heavyweight champ of the world, lol. We can't predict everything but we know of the last say 7 #1 players many of them pan out:

Trout, Harper, Buxton, Profar, Bryant, Benintendi, Seager, Machado, depending on which list, etc. You usually have a good shot at a nice MLB player if not a superstar. But it seems that it is often based on ceiling judging raw skills which is why a AA player can be a top prospect even though their body of work is against much lower talent.

With Moncada I think he is just so strong and also has speed. That talent would normally find itself at a corner outfield position but he can give you that bat at 2B which while not SS helps him. I also think that it means something when a guy has seen the majors 2x by 22. Sure he has struggled but he has 2-3 years to make that adjustment before the bust-o-meter comes out. While unlikely, a guy like Rosario could struggle to hit MLB pitching as well. As could Torres, etc etc. So based on ceilings it isn't a crazy ranking to me.

It's the same stuff I say about Mateo on a higher level. Last year they were talking about Moncada as a total beast before the callup. During the Futures game where he jacked one out of the park excitement couldn't have been any higher for Sox fans. Well, it's a year later. You don't just lose everything in 1 year. He still has all that talent and plenty of time to put it together. Hell Buxton is only 23 and had a 6 game hitting streak bf the injury and is regarded by some as the best centerfielder in the game already. I just think these lists look big picture.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #16
callou2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetailChamp View Post
No love for Austin Hays (BAL) makes me sad
Was just going to say this. He is destroying the minors. 92 Games Hitting .325 24HR 65RBI .358 OBP OPS.949 With only 58 Strikeouts. Totally came out of nowhere. Doesnt even have a single card yet.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:44 PM   #17
bubble

And no Royals. We are going to be in trouble in a few years
Old 07-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #18
StlScott

Quote:
Well I had a blue gem Judge, and a green gem Judge and I made $100 off each and thought I was the heavyweight champ of the world, lol. We can't predict everything but we know of the last say 7 #1 players many of them pan out:

Trout, Harper, Buxton, Profar, Bryant, Benintendi, Seager, Machado, depending on which list, etc. You usually have a good shot at a nice MLB player if not a superstar. But it seems that it is often based on ceiling judging raw skills which is why a AA player can be a top prospect even though their body of work is against much lower talent.

With Moncada I think he is just so strong and also has speed. That talent would normally find itself at a corner outfield position but he can give you that bat at 2B which while not SS helps him. I also think that it means something when a guy has seen the majors 2x by 22. Sure he has struggled but he has 2-3 years to make that adjustment before the bust-o-meter comes out. While unlikely, a guy like Rosario could struggle to hit MLB pitching as well. As could Torres, etc etc. So based on ceilings it isn't a crazy ranking to me.

It's the same stuff I say about Mateo on a higher level. Last year they were talking about Moncada as a total beast before the callup. During the Futures game where he jacked one out of the park excitement couldn't have been any higher for Sox fans. Well, it's a year later. You don't just lose everything in 1 year. He still has all that talent and plenty of time to put it together. Hell Buxton is only 23 and had a 6 game hitting streak bf the injury and is regarded by some as the best centerfielder in the game already. I just think these lists look big picture.
And who knows Profar could have been something more without injury. Buxton has a lot of value just based on his defense alone. Buxton will be given every chance to figure things out and he still may. True, the futures game was outstanding. Talk about small sample size, that is just one game. Maybe Moncada is just raw for a AAA-MLB player. I like Mateo almost better because it was his attitude that did him in before. Hopefully he has that all cleaned up (a la Gary Sanchez) and reach is potential.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #19
RK8604

Happy to see Beau Burrows (just)crack the top 100 finally. Making some great progress this year.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #20
JackThree

I looked at the White Sox top 30 and I have to say, me like! I especially like the top 23, with the exception of Charlie Tilson. I don't know why he, Nunez or Martinez made the list?

My top 20 would go like this:

1. Moncada
2. Jimenez
3. Kopech
4. Robert
5. Hansen
6. Cease
7. Rutherford
8. Lopez
9. Dunning
10. Burger
11. Collins
12. Giolito
13. Burdi
14. Adams
15. Adolfo
16. Fulmer
17. Guerrero
18. Clarkin
19. Sheets
20. Basabe
JackThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:47 PM   #21
TripleCrown24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK8604 View Post
Happy to see Beau Burrows (just)crack the top 100 finally. Making some great progress this year.
I'm digging the Tigers 2020ish rotation based upon what they have now. Hopefully Fulmer will be locked up long term by then, same with Norris (I still believe he's an All-Star waiting to happen). Then you'll have Manning and Burrows coming up. Zimmermann (if he's still around and somewhat viable) as a number five isn't bad.
Please do not ship to me PWE
TripleCrown24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #22
sickmantz

Surprised they're still drinking the Koolaid on Moncada. I'm not convinced he'll be good, but I can see it if I squint. #1 prospect in all of baseball, though? What a joke.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #23
preakness

Hansen
preakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #24
oplum29

as a Braves fan...I see an amazingly bright future for the boys.

Acuna, Ozzie, and Maitan on top of the 5 or 6 pitchers in the pipe, they remind me of the Royals right now.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #25
oplum29

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianleonard View Post
The fact that Amed Rosario is still in the minors with the team the Mets are running out there every day is a travesty.
apparently he's getting called up right after the trade deadline