Blowout Cards Forums
Wave TUE

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Who Wins the 2018 NL CY Young Award?
Max Scherzer 78 72.90%
Stephen Strasburg 1 0.93%
Carlos Martinez 1 0.93%
Aaron Nola 9 8.41%
Noah Syndergaard 1 0.93%
Jacob Degrom 9 8.41%
Clayton Kershaw 5 4.67%
Jon Gray 1 0.93%
Patrick Corbin 1 0.93%
Somebody Else 1 0.93%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #26
NeedChapmans
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,355
Default

Max not winning games; but still far out front. Would take an injury or some kind of late season collapse IMHO for DeGrom to sneak in.

Nola distant 3rd. Rest of the list is no longer of consequence and Stripling simply won't have the innings.
__________________
Ottomatic- "Facts, especially on 99% white Blowout. If I was Blowout I would delete political threads immediately. If an outsider read one they would vomit and then probably try to get the site shut down, it's that bad."
NeedChapmans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #27
MFaulkCollector
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,751
Default

Scherzer is only far out and ahead because of his name. Degrom has an era plus of nearly 50 points higher and an era of 0.5 less. War is similar. Scherzer has a better whip and more strikeouts. In a vacuum where neither guy had a name I think this is actually a dead heat. Then you have Nola with a whip of .93 and is on pace for a war of about 11.

I am a huge scherzer guy, but I’m not sure he is even slightly in front right now. I think degrom is a dead heat and Nola is slightly behind. Any of the three could easily win
MFaulkCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #28
prospects
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFaulkCollector View Post
Scherzer is only far out and ahead because of his name. Degrom has an era plus of nearly 50 points higher and an era of 0.5 less. War is similar. Scherzer has a better whip and more strikeouts. In a vacuum where neither guy had a name I think this is actually a dead heat. Then you have Nola with a whip of .93 and is on pace for a war of about 11.

I am a huge scherzer guy, but Iím not sure he is even slightly in front right now. I think degrom is a dead heat and Nola is slightly behind. Any of the three could easily win
I like you.

Letís be honest, only reason max is getting recognition is because he plays behind a great team. I think it is very unfair to penalize Degrom for that.
prospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #29
MFaulkCollector
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post
I like you.

Letís be honest, only reason max is getting recognition is because he plays behind a great team. I think it is very unfair to penalize Degrom for that.
I like reason..... a starter with an era plus of 250 is really dominant. An era of 1.6 to go with that is really amazing. Win loss, eh... not the end of the world, but a good final metric to break a dead heat otherwise. Scherzer has a whip of nearly 2 tenths better than degrom and 40 more strikeouts, plus hitters are batting 30 points less. So both have claims as to who is more dominant.

So... for this very second I probably would give scherzer the dead heat edge because of record; but thatís only because the object is to win games and the resumes to me equate enough to call them statistically even
MFaulkCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #30
rman112
Member
 
rman112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Svenborgia
Posts: 11,838
Default

Way ahead my butt
rman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:07 AM   #31
calculusdork
Member
 
calculusdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 18,841
Default

What deGrom just did at Coors was, uh, not bad.
__________________
==============================
~~ MIKE FOLTYNEWICZ Collector ~~
~~ 3-Time GINTER CODE Winner ~~
==============================
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:05 AM   #32
rman112
Member
 
rman112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Svenborgia
Posts: 11,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
What deGrom just did at Coors was, uh, not bad.
They need to invent a Coors ERA calculator.

8 innings, 1 run = 18 innings of shutout ball
rman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #33
jstasyk1121
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post
I like you.

Letís be honest, only reason max is getting recognition is because he plays behind a great team. I think it is very unfair to penalize Degrom for that.
this continues to be hilarious....yes the ONLY reason he gets any recognition is because he is on that legendary WASH team that is killing everyone...oh wait...what?? that cant be?? they are 38-32?? 2nd place in division?? same division that "the historically awful and OMG poor DeGrom" Mets play in and are only 7 games worse?? Nationals are not even a playoff team currently...but sure...keep saying how he is only getting credit cuz apparently he is on the '27 yanks i guess

prob has nothing to do with leading the league in:

Innings Pitched
Strikeouts
WHIP
H/9
BAA
Wins
K/BB
K/9
and is 2nd in league in ERA and third in WAR

yea what a scrub...clearly team behind him is only reason he does any of that...

and here is what i find amazingly great.....

RUN SUPPORT
Scherzer: 4.67
DeGrom: 3.93

with how you have talked you would have expected this number to be like 7.50 to 1.25 or something like that?? Oh whats that?? a 12 run outburst in Coors coupled with two straight 0s for Max....well what the heck...Imagine if Max had some damn Support!! he would be 12-1 right now instead of 10-3....this is BS!! Nats suck!! see how some stuff can easily shift one way or the other...now after last night this stat is almost a non-starter...2wks ago i bet it was like a 2-run gap...then Max loses 2 straight games 2-0

whatever...i am not gonna say its a blowout...cuz it is close-ish...but Max having 30+ more k's in only 5 more innings...having 0.15 better whip...having 8 LESS hits in MORE innings pitched!! being 2nd in ERA currently...and all the other stats he leads in...i still say if vote was today he wins in probably damn near unanimous fashion

until i see someone NOT win with Inn/K/WHIP leads...that is who gets my vote..toss in that he is leading with 10 wins and yea...that still counts...

what is his worst stat?? HR Allowed that you for some reason kept talking about like it was just as important as ERA?? Degrom leads with 4HRA...max has 8HRA...which is still 10th best!! not like he is just getting rocked there or something...and that stat is so far down the list of relevance...that no one cares!!
jstasyk1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #34
prospects
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstasyk1121 View Post
this continues to be hilarious....yes the ONLY reason he gets any recognition is because he is on that legendary WASH team that is killing everyone...oh wait...what?? that cant be?? they are 38-32?? 2nd place in division?? same division that "the historically awful and OMG poor DeGrom" Mets play in and are only 7 games worse?? Nationals are not even a playoff team currently...but sure...keep saying how he is only getting credit cuz apparently he is on the '27 yanks i guess

prob has nothing to do with leading the league in:

Innings Pitched
Strikeouts
WHIP
H/9
BAA
Wins
K/BB
K/9
and is 2nd in league in ERA and third in WAR

yea what a scrub...clearly team behind him is only reason he does any of that...

and here is what i find amazingly great.....

RUN SUPPORT
Scherzer: 4.67
DeGrom: 3.93

with how you have talked you would have expected this number to be like 7.50 to 1.25 or something like that?? Oh whats that?? a 12 run outburst in Coors coupled with two straight 0s for Max....well what the heck...Imagine if Max had some damn Support!! he would be 12-1 right now instead of 10-3....this is BS!! Nats suck!! see how some stuff can easily shift one way or the other...now after last night this stat is almost a non-starter...2wks ago i bet it was like a 2-run gap...then Max loses 2 straight games 2-0

whatever...i am not gonna say its a blowout...cuz it is close-ish...but Max having 30+ more k's in only 5 more innings...having 0.15 better whip...having 8 LESS hits in MORE innings pitched!! being 2nd in ERA currently...and all the other stats he leads in...i still say if vote was today he wins in probably damn near unanimous fashion

until i see someone NOT win with Inn/K/WHIP leads...that is who gets my vote..toss in that he is leading with 10 wins and yea...that still counts...

what is his worst stat?? HR Allowed that you for some reason kept talking about like it was just as important as ERA?? Degrom leads with 4HRA...max has 8HRA...which is still 10th best!! not like he is just getting rocked there or something...and that stat is so far down the list of relevance...that no one cares!!
lol third in war. NOPE.

Degrom is SECOND in entire league in war right behind trout.

ERA is way better and degrom has completely dominated. Degrom also has the least hard hit rate percentage in baseball.

And no, I meant the nats offense. It is WAY better than the mets and that is the only reason max has more wins
prospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #35
prospects
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,948
Default

Anyone who tells me that ERA is not the most important stat as a pitcher, please block me.

Again for those of you who dont know baseball, the goal is to not let the other teams score. Degrom is the BEST in baseball this year at doing this.
prospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #36
calculusdork
Member
 
calculusdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 18,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post
lol third in war. NOPE.

Degrom is SECOND in entire league in war right behind trout.

ERA is way better and degrom has completely dominated. Degrom also has the least hard hit rate percentage in baseball.

And no, I meant the nats offense. It is WAY better than the mets and that is the only reason max has more wins
Scherzer leads in fWAR, 4.6 to 3.7. fWAR is a better measure for pitchers.

It is close, but the poster above is right ... you're not helping yourself by saying things like "the only reason Scherzer is getting recognition is because ..." and then saying something that doesn't make a lot of sense.
__________________
==============================
~~ MIKE FOLTYNEWICZ Collector ~~
~~ 3-Time GINTER CODE Winner ~~
==============================
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #37
chfu3030
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The View, AL
Posts: 822
Default

I've got Newcomb as a dark horse here.....
chfu3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #38
calculusdork
Member
 
calculusdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 18,841
Default

But to be fair, I'm with you, deGrom has been ridiculous this year.
__________________
==============================
~~ MIKE FOLTYNEWICZ Collector ~~
~~ 3-Time GINTER CODE Winner ~~
==============================
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #39
calculusdork
Member
 
calculusdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 18,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfu3030 View Post
I've got Newcomb as a dark horse here.....
Not even the best pitcher on his own team
__________________
==============================
~~ MIKE FOLTYNEWICZ Collector ~~
~~ 3-Time GINTER CODE Winner ~~
==============================
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #40
Ray27Ray52
Member
 
Ray27Ray52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 16,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post
Anyone who tells me that ERA is not the most important stat as a pitcher, please block me.

Again for those of you who dont know baseball, the goal is to not let the other teams score. Degrom is the BEST in baseball this year at doing this.
I remember when you first started posting here. You seemed like a nice guy who didn't really know much about anything. After just a few months you now know everything.

You can defend a player you root for without being obnoxious and dismissive of all other counter arguments. You can also do that without slobbering all over the altar of the dude. Try it.
__________________
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm...I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired...I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind..I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
Ray27Ray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #41
jstasyk1121
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post
lol third in war. NOPE.

Degrom is SECOND in entire league in war right behind trout.

ERA is way better and degrom has completely dominated. Degrom also has the least hard hit rate percentage in baseball.

And no, I meant the nats offense. It is WAY better than the mets and that is the only reason max has more wins
um since when does Mike Trout's WAR have any effect on the NL CYA?? for that Max is 3rd...can Trout win the NL CY?? can J.Ramirez? im pretty sure they cant...im pretty sure JV cant either...so when im talking about leading the league or being third or second in a stat...in a thread about the NL CY...chances are i am talking about that stat AMONG PLAYERS WHO QUALIFY for the award!! figured this was assumed but apparently not

again...the current run support shows that max is getting the 17th best RS in the NL and Degrom is getting 39th best...about 0.70 runs per start difference...so again...no...you are wrong...hell on the season as a whole...WAS has 297 runs and the woeful Mets have 267...30runs diff in 70 games played...so no...WASH is not some awesome offense

in the NL: Washington is 12th in runs scored and the Mets are 14th...seems pretty easy to argue that both teams have crap offenses actually...but hey who needs to actually look at stats when you can just come in and say WASH has great offense and Mets are historically bad without backing any of it up

and sure ERA is important...but you are willing to ignore all of the other stats that show dominance...all the other stats that also matter quite a bit in this exact award...and im not willing to ignore all of it...

his ERA is excellent...guess what...So is Max's at 2.06...that is great as well..

he has more innings, less hits, less walks, more K's, lower WHIP...but hey everyone...Degrom has lower ERA so obviously none of that matters....

your argument is ridiculous and borderline just non-factual in many ways

again with the stats that are so far down the list....thats great that his hard-hit rate is best in league...is that now better than WHIP according to you?? im sure it is...

another great part that i love...is if you just go to the other popular site that calculates WAR...it still has MAX leading the league there with 4.2 to Degrom 3.8...so again one of the "pluses" for Degrom can be negated by just going with the other version of the same stat that favors K's and bam...Scherzer is league leader in that too!
jstasyk1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #42
Boo
Member
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 19,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
I remember when you first started posting here. You seemed like a nice guy who didn't really know much about anything. After just a few months you now know everything.

You can defend a player you root for without being obnoxious and dismissive of all other counter arguments. You can also do that without slobbering all over the altar of the dude. Try it.
__________________
CheckOutMyCards ID = klay22
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #43
Wiseguy917
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,974
Default

Right now.....

1. Max
2. Degrom

Now move along.....
__________________
People are Furious and I. DONT. GET. IT.
Wiseguy917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #44
calculusdork
Member
 
calculusdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 18,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
I remember when you first started posting here. You seemed like a nice guy who didn't really know much about anything. After just a few months you now know everything.

You can defend a player you root for without being obnoxious and dismissive of all other counter arguments. You can also do that without slobbering all over the altar of the dude. Try it.
Alex Wood has control issues (especially in our relationship) and probably drowns kittens. But he's my favorite pitcher.

Like that?
__________________
==============================
~~ MIKE FOLTYNEWICZ Collector ~~
~~ 3-Time GINTER CODE Winner ~~
==============================
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #45
Ray27Ray52
Member
 
Ray27Ray52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 16,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Alex Wood has control issues (especially in our relationship) and probably drowns kittens. But he's my favorite pitcher.

Like that?
You left out the part about how he likes to do MENSA level Math with a pen. His confidence level is disturbing.
__________________
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm...I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired...I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind..I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
Ray27Ray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #46
calculusdork
Member
 
calculusdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 18,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
You left out the part about how he likes to do MENSA level Math with a pen. His confidence level is disturbing.
Freakin psychopath
__________________
==============================
~~ MIKE FOLTYNEWICZ Collector ~~
~~ 3-Time GINTER CODE Winner ~~
==============================
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #47
prospects
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
I remember when you first started posting here. You seemed like a nice guy who didn't really know much about anything. After just a few months you now know everything.

You can defend a player you root for without being obnoxious and dismissive of all other counter arguments. You can also do that without slobbering all over the altar of the dude. Try it.
Yes, because the guy continues to post essay rants at me like max is his son.

Moving on now.
prospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #48
prospects
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,948
Default

Yes lets quote innings when we both know degrom is less than 5 behind and that is with the fact that he had two shortened starts due to his injury.

Max has been healthier, degrom has been better.

Now lets agree to disagree and move on.
prospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #49
jstasyk1121
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post
Yes lets quote innings when we both know degrom is less than 5 behind and that is with the fact that he had two shortened starts due to his injury.

Max has been healthier, degrom has been better.

Now lets agree to disagree and move on.
again...you act as if Max ends the year with more innings that it wont be talked about?? it will be a stat that favors him

and its 5 now...and max pitches again before degrom does...so it will be probably 10-13 after thursday...so depending how the schedule goes rest of year and both staying healthy...max might have him by 15+ at end of year...15 innings of elite production is a bigger deal than you might realize....if it ends up as 5...sure wont be a big thing...but it would still be
"max leads in innings"

and im going on rants like he is my son?? no its called stats and using them correctly and not just blindly saying things like "washingtons great offense is the only reason max wins games"...which is just purely false...you would have us believe Max just wins game 10-8 every time out...even tho his ERA is 2.06
jstasyk1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #50
prospects
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstasyk1121 View Post
again...you act as if Max ends the year with more innings that it wont be talked about?? it will be a stat that favors him

and its 5 now...and max pitches again before degrom does...so it will be probably 10-13 after thursday...so depending how the schedule goes rest of year and both staying healthy...max might have him by 15+ at end of year...15 innings of elite production is a bigger deal than you might realize....if it ends up as 5...sure wont be a big thing...but it would still be
"max leads in innings"

and im going on rants like he is my son?? no its called stats and using them correctly and not just blindly saying things like "washingtons great offense is the only reason max wins games"...which is just purely false...you would have us believe Max just wins game 10-8 every time out...even tho his ERA is 2.06
No, I would have you believe that if degrom had the offense/bullpen has behind him, he would have 9-10 wins.

comprehend
prospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.