Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #51
Melagoo

I've opened 5 A&Gs so far first 2 good last 3 not so good ... as they say in the printing industry ... Press On ...
Old 07-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #52
erock28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athey49 View Post
I love ginter. Seems like those who don't like it are the ones who can't get a positive ROI or who don't like the non baseball cards. I love the random cards, not knowing what you'll get each pack
Highlighted this part because it is exactly the allure. With almost every other product, there is a box hit. When you get it, you're done. With Ginter, each pack could have some sort of SP/hit...

As for the return, I keep one complete set and sell off the rest. I have to sell my sets yet, a few low dollar minis, an auto, and a couple other randoms. My gross sales will exceed the $985 purchase price, net will probably be 90-95% of the initial investment. So I'm losing $50, but keeping a set. My case was above average for sure, but not CRAZY. Pulled a Sonny Gray auto book /10 and a couple other good autos. Assume the couple other good autos remain and strike out the book, I lose about $225 on the case. The return of initial investment is then 70-75%. I've long considered anything north of 60% to be a good release, and in my opinion 2015 Ginter is above that provided you bought early and sold fast. It's all about selling fast, and selling smart. The minis go for silly money, and while the sets are devalued this year due to lack of SPs, they still can be moved.

I can understand if you bought a box or three and hit 9 base relics thinking the product sucks, but it's always been a case buy to me. You buy a case, you will get an above average return.
erock28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:00 AM   #53
Super8er

I think the base set is still fun to collect, especially with all the funky non-sport inserts. My biggest gripes are-

-Rip cards are way overproduced now. Heck, I pulled a rip last year and I NEVER pull cool stuff like that.

-Non-baseball autos used to be fun and most of the non-bb subjects were worth going after and they really were "champions" of some sort in their chosen field, but the last few years most have been of questionable "champion" status. Comedians, sports writers, etc... who are these people? Now there's one or two really sought after names and the rest are meh...

- Stamped buybacks sounded fun in theory, but the reality it is to take the attention away from the fact the this product has started to lose it's appeal over the years. The buybacks should have had more of a theme or the checklist should have made sense, like say all A&G-back RC's or something.

- No HOFers - WHAT?!? This is a vintage/retro themed product and no HOFer's/veterans? So, GQ next year will make up for it by being nothing but HOFer's/veterans, right? The lack of this element is the most egregious sin in my opinion.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149864421@N05/albums
Super8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:05 AM   #54
kyle1707

Tier one 90
gypsy queen 100
archives 100
inception 85
finest 95
museum 200

Ginter is no different.. its all over priced with less content then last year...

Its brutal...
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #55
Bretsky

Bought my first box this year and it will likely be my last. I look the look and the concept, but like OP said there is no resale value and I'm guessing I would make 10% back in the box I bought. I guess that pretty much goes with most products nowadays.

Fan of the Fighting Illini, Bears and White Sox!
Bretsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #56
ForzaMilan92

Topps with Buybacks From A&G:
1. To cheap to make there own base
2. Take a bunch of no-namers base cards from 2005-14 for almost no cost
3. Use the word "buyback" to make it seem like it'll have value
4. Serial number it to 10
5. Put it in 2015 A&G
Old 07-31-2015, 10:28 AM   #57
poppincurbs

I was pretty pissed there was no Mattingly this year... also I would pay $10 more a box if it was ALL MLB, no elfs and mermaids
Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 AM   #58
zhiyuchen90

Allen Ginter is always been my favorites. But the prices point gone up. Its a good product at 80 a box not at 100. This year they beef up the autographs, but where is the fossil bone or bugs. Its still fun bust one box or two.
zhiyuchen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:24 AM   #59
coachnip13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
...I'm guessing I would make 10% back in the box I bought.
Yeah, that's why some people are saying that you need to bust a case, not a box. With a box, you might get the rip card or some other nice hit, or you might get three comedian relics worth a dollar each. The worst part is that you don't come close to any complete sets of anything.

With a case, you're getting it all. Several sets, hits, etc. That being said, it takes work to get your money back on a case, and most people aren't patient enough to go through that.
coachnip13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:27 AM   #60
Bhenry4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachnip13 View Post
Yeah, that's why some people are saying that you need to bust a case, not a box. With a box, you might get the rip card or some other nice hit, or you might get three comedian relics worth a dollar each. The worst part is that you don't come close to any complete sets of anything.

With a case, you're getting it all. Several sets, hits, etc. That being said, it takes work to get your money back on a case, and most people aren't patient enough to go through that.
I opened a case and got ONE base set. The main insert set with the baseball players come one per two packs. I couldn't even make a set of those. This is not a case break product, it's a several case break product.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:13 PM   #61
Cubsfanp

Quote:

MOST collectors don't have the extra discretionary spending money for a case.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #62
Czar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhenry4 View Post
I opened a case and got ONE base set. The main insert set with the baseball players come one per two packs. I couldn't even make a set of those. This is not a case break product, it's a several case break product.
One base set from a case is shocking, and definitely not the norm. The cases I've broke over the years have at least 3. Also, I'd always get one complete main insert set. Hopefully this doesn't become a trend.

Last edited by Czar; 07-31-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:26 PM   #63
erock28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhenry4 View Post
I think you had an anomaly...flat out bad luck. In 2013 and 14, I fell exactly one base card short of (5) 1-300 sets....this year it was one card short of (4) 1-350 sets. Usually the case collation is pretty good...you are the exception
erock28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #64
NickM

The non-baseball portion of the relic/auto set is pathetic this year.
6 basketball rookies are great, except that they are SSP (and have no non-hit cards). Rocky, Thunderlips, and Drago - great if you hit one, since they too are SSP.
How many of the others do people actually want?
Aaron Paul, Mike Mills, and Val Kilmer sell well. Julie Foudy is not far behind.
Bernie Williams is a baseball player, no matter what his picture looks like.
Malcolm Gladwell, Frank Caliendo, David Cross, Kelia Moniz, and Jimbo Fisher all have a lot of fans (although the Fisher market seems quite soft right now). Roenick and Joe Buck will sell just fine.
The rest is heading for the $5 boxes (autos) and $2 boxes (relics). And they may not be easy sells at those prices.
Putting in so many comedians is a bad joke.
"And when do we want it?"
"It's irrelevant."
NickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #65
Czar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseve43 View Post
Couldn't agree more with every part of your post. It's like the last few years Topps has taken it upon themselves to shove as many minis into as many products as possible. Who actually collects these? Better question...who actually likes these better than normal full-sized cards?
I collect A&G minis and like them better than full-sized cards. I know I'm not alone.
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:08 PM   #66
coachnip13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfanp View Post
MOST collectors don't have the extra discretionary spending money for a case.
That's completely understandable. But that person shouldn't be complaining about return on investment after opening one hobby box or a couple of blaster boxes. They're buying scratch off tickets, and many times they won't win. They have to go into the purchase knowing that and not blame the product when their lucky number doesn't come up that day.

Some cards are "hits" because of their rarity. If every box had a hit, they would not be rare (or valuable) anymore. So the single-box opener is playing a losing hand either way.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:12 PM   #67
petesahuttt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar View Post
I collect A&G minis and like them better than full-sized cards. I know I'm not alone.
You definitely aren't alone But having all these people and their loathing of mini's is great for us mini collectors
petesahuttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:15 PM   #68
davidk

i like ginter a lot. But I don't buy boxes, so not sure what that's like. But if you collect a player or set or something, I think it's a fun thing. Different variations, etc etc. Also, I actually love the minis.

I really love how the cards look.
davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:20 PM   #69
needmore

Quote:
That's completely understandable. But that person shouldn't be complaining about return on investment after opening one hobby box or a couple of blaster boxes. They're buying scratch off tickets, and many times they won't win. They have to go into the purchase knowing that and not blame the product when their lucky number doesn't come up that day.

Some cards are "hits" because of their rarity. If every box had a hit, they would not be rare (or valuable) anymore. So the single-box opener is playing a losing hand either way.
Some great points! I bought a blaster and two jumbo packs this week. I got squat for a $30+ purchase. I guess I shouldn't expect much but when you read some posts on here you think hey I might get lucky. I think I got the worst blaster ever, no stars and not even one good mini base card. At least in previous years, you could pull a couple HOFer cards.

I am going back to buying my A&G on eBay or from other collectors. I did this with last year's set and saved a lot of money by not ripping packs, but just buying cards of my favorite players and select autos/relics.
Angels and Dodgers fan
needmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:27 PM   #70
gottagitdemjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk View Post
i like ginter a lot. But I don't buy boxes, so not sure what that's like. But if you collect a player or set or something, I think it's a fun thing. Different variations, etc etc. Also, I actually love the minis.

I really love how the cards look.
I absolutely love non-numbered variations. Topps has been killing it here lately with Heritage and Archives (I sold a 2014 Trout Heritage Action variation for $115 the other day. They could be had for $50 just a couple weeks ago). But the variations in Ginter can soon be had for roughly the same price as the base cards about 2-3 weeks after release. There's something wrong there. I don't know if it's a design issue with Topps or if it's an issue with collectors not wanting to pay the same premiums they pay for variations in other products. Let's face it everyone. Ginter is not what it once was. It is a broken, tattered, remnant of it's former self. The price point has gotten too high. The non-sports people selected have become too obscure (non-famous). And did I mention that the price point was too high for a box that doesn't guarantee an auto. If I didn't, here goes.....the PRICE IS TOO HIGH FOR A BOX WHERE YOU MAY GET 3 T-shirt CARDS FOR HITS. Heritage is a much better buy at $65-70 IMO.
The Chiefs win a Super Bowl.......FINALLY!!!...3X!!! BACK TO BACK!!!
gottagitdemjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #71
coachnip13

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmore View Post
Some great points! I bought a blaster and two jumbo packs this week. I got squat for a $30+ purchase. I guess I shouldn't expect much but when you read some posts on here you think hey I might get lucky. I think I got the worst blaster ever, no stars and not even one good mini base card. At least in previous years, you could pull a couple HOFer cards.

I am going back to buying my A&G on eBay or from other collectors. I did this with last year's set and saved a lot of money by not ripping packs, but just buying cards of my favorite players and select autos/relics.
Yeah, I was pissed at my seller because my case was delayed, so I caved in and bought two blasters just because I was dying to open something. Got nothing. But it's fun, and I know what I'm getting into, so it doesn't bother me. Like you said, there's always the chance at getting that surprise hit.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:42 PM   #72
davidk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs View Post
I absolutely love non-numbered variations. Topps has been killing it here lately with Heritage and Archives (I sold a 2014 Trout Heritage Action variation for $115 the other day. They could be had for $50 just a couple weeks ago). But the variations in Ginter can soon be had for roughly the same price as the base cards about 2-3 weeks after release. There's something wrong there. I don't know if it's a design issue with Topps or if it's an issue with collectors not wanting to pay the same premiums they pay for variations in other products. Let's face it everyone. Ginter is not what it once was. It is a broken, tattered, remnant of it's former self. The price point has gotten too high. The non-sports people selected have become too obscure (non-famous). And did I mention that the price point was too high for a box that doesn't guarantee an auto. If I didn't, here goes.....the PRICE IS TOO HIGH FOR A BOX WHERE YOU MAY GET 3 T-shirt CARDS FOR HITS. Heritage is a much better buy at $65-70 IMO.
was it the trout action variation?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Topps-H...item25aa24f8cd

this one ended couple of days ago. It was going for like 150 couple of weeks ago. 200 like 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by davidk; 07-31-2015 at 02:45 PM.
davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #73
kyle1707

Was just opening my last half of last case today.

Hit a mike trout red auto 2/10.

Back to loving Ginter. Lol

Will post in break later tonight
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #74
brentandbecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar View Post
One base set from a case is shocking, and definitely not the norm. The cases I've broke over the years have at least 3. Also, I'd always get one complete main insert set. Hopefully this doesn't become a trend.
i know a guy who opened 3 cases and got 4 sets---that was unreal, the tweaks this year made base set collation funky and since no sp, it screwed up the sets per case
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:51 PM   #75
brentandbecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerunr View Post

I like the current mix of baseball and non-baseball cards, if it were to be less than half baseball, I probably would be done with it though.

One thing I dislike is the change to full size relics. We can get those with any other set, the mini, framed relics made the set stand apart from the rest.
I like the mix too, but too many writers, comedians, etc
1-2 of each is fine, but get back to the sports champions of the past

and yes I MISS THE MINI RELICS, they had more collectability/value back then as they stood on their own (with the GQ mini framed relics)

I was told frames add cost, but if that is the case then why frame all the buyback minis? (I am glad they did, and look at difference framed buyback minis go for as opposed to regular buybacks, HUUUUGE difference and collectability)
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote