Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Notices

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

Old 08-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #51
HankAaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHawks25 View Post
You don't lose money because your item will sell for more than the same card with $3 shipping.

$20 auction plus $3 shipping Vs. $23 auction with free shipping.

You don't lose anything. Buyers account for the shipping costs, and are willing to bid higher based on how much shipping is.
I have sold items with free shipping and $2.85 shipping. I saw no differences in sales. Many sold for the same price. Maybe free shipping may get a bump in the search or a preferred search, especially when first listed. Free shipping makes no sense, $3 seems reasonable, while 3.50 + seems like you are gouging the customer (unless item weighs more than 4 oz or it needs insurance).

If you are going to claim PayPal and eBay fees, you should add eBay store fees, post office box fees, and taxes. If you sell a lot of cards, you will have to pay taxes. Taxes are item sold and postage charged. I believe that is the 1095 sent. Oh, then the fee to have your taxes done to expense the fees and postage.
HankAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #52
Branesergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ac View Post
Huh? Many retailers offer free shipping. And many run very frequent coupon codes to make shipping free. Now, if you do free shipping via online shopping, then the delivery is the slow train. If you want it in a timely manner, yes, you pay. But saying free shipping isn't commonplace online isn't a fair assessment.
Walmart - $5.99 (hardly exact shipping cost) - Spend $35 to get free shipping.
Target - $5.99 (Hardly exact shipping cost) - Get a Target Credit Card for free shipping.
Amazon - $99 a year for free shipping IF its a prime item, otherwise various prices from actual sellers.
Best Buy - Does have free shipping
Lowes - $5.99 - Free with membership
Home Depot - Spend over $45 for free shipping. (Wasn't going to create an account to get actual costs.
Hot Topic - $4.99 shipping
Kmart - $8.25 shipping

Who am I missing that is free? Best buy is the only one unless you spend more money or get a credit card.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #53
no10pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4kinsler View Post
I charge $3 even though I'm losing almost 50 cents per item.

It's $2.61 for actual shipping, then bubble mailer (48.8 cents apiece), 10% eBay fee (30 cents) and paypal fee. Even before paypal fee, it's $3.39 per sale for me to ship not counting "other" supplies, which I don't because that's part of the price for selling.

Even on here, I only charge $3 and am losing 9 cents per item shipped.
Seriously, if you are going to ship a lot of cards, buy envelopes in bulk. You can get 000 size mailers in quantity for .06-.07 each.

Even the larger sizes you can get for .12-.15 each.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #54
coachnip13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerfanjohn View Post
Anything less then that and you lose money each item you ship.
SMH. I thought we had this covered.
coachnip13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #55
bagman1960

Flat rate shipping for $3.00 whether you buy one, two or a hundred cards.

Some ask why $3.00 instead of $2.61. I explain to them after ebay takes their 10% cut and PayPal takes 3% it leaves me with $2.61.

Some are okay with that, some argue that they shouldn't have to pay my ebay and PayPal fees. That's fine.

But several want to argue with me that ebay does not take 10% of the shipping. Whatever!!
bagman1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #56
speedyjg13

I do free shipping. I figure that if bidders see that, they will most likely bid on my item. Ive actually had higher bids when i do free shipping compared to when i charge 3 dollars. I don't mind a 3-4 loss on shipping a card though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/speedyjg13/albums
speedyjg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #57
Josh611

I've never sold anything without free shipping. People like to see free.

I know I do as a buyer. Obviously If something is $20/free shipping I wont buy that over something that is $16/$3 shipping but if its the same or a best offer I'll always go with the free shipping first.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #58
HadWayTooMuch
Banned

I don't disagree with much on here...but remember, lots of cards are being sold for $1, $2, $3, etc. How do you sell those with free shipping?

I still charge $3.19 on my high dollar items (it's easier not changing it) but I ship fully insured which usually costs me $5-$10. It's just easier that way.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #59
pmannings#1fan

One word answer.........GREED
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #60
Stifle

Location: I've met great collectors throughout MI and N. Indiana / CHI.

Why do members complain about shipping costs, because its cheaper than complaining about opening packs, boxes and cases. If we all purchased boxes than we could trade, but that's extremely risky and pricey. I was always happy that somebody else would take the risk and I would just pay for exactly what I wanted.
Take the price of a box, break it down to price per pack and include shipping with tracking capabilities and then you may have a fair price ?
Stifle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #61
bagman1960

[QUOTE=HadWayTooMuch;12612569]I don't disagree with much on here...but remember, lots of cards are being sold for $1, $2, $3, etc. How do you sell those with free shipping?

I'm one of those $1, $2, $3, etc. sellers.

I used to sell 3 card lots for $2.99 with free shipping. Shipping method was PWE and was specified in the listing. Was very successful.

However I stopped doing this because of peace of mind. Most buyers do not leave feedback. I didn't like not knowing whether the cards were delivered so I switched back to bubble mailer with tracking number. I was surprised that sales only decreased slightly, seems like plenty of buyers actually prefer to pay the $3.00 for shipping in a bubble mailer with tracking number.

Last edited by bagman1960; 08-07-2017 at 09:43 PM.
bagman1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #62
crtsports

We go around in circles on this all of the time and pretend that customers can't see the shipping price until after they purchase the ebay auction.

If the shipping is too high in your opinion, just pass on the item. What you can't do though is buy a item, knowing the shipping costs in advance and then ding the DSR ratings because you feel the shipping is too high.

Everyone has different costs for shipping(before USPS base fees) and if someone wants to charge $2.61 for their shipping and ship at a loss after fees, that is their prerogative but you can't apply that same thought process to all sellers.

And if all else fails, just look at what Brent does!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
crtsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #63
no10pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifle View Post
Why do members complain about shipping costs, because its cheaper than complaining about opening packs, boxes and cases. If we all purchased boxes than we could trade, but that's extremely risky and pricey. I was always happy that somebody else would take the risk and I would just pay for exactly what I wanted.
Take the price of a box, break it down to price per pack and include shipping with tracking capabilities and then you may have a fair price ?
Old 08-07-2017, 09:44 PM   #64
rman112
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by no10pin View Post
Was pretty clear to me. He has a point.
rman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #65
no10pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
Was pretty clear to me. He has a point.
What does the price of the box of cards have to do with the shipping price of an individual card?
Old 08-07-2017, 09:52 PM   #66
rman112
Banned

Quote:
What does the price of the box of cards have to do with the shipping price of an individual card?
It doesn't directly.. just a look at the bigger picture.

But I'll never condone shipping a card regularly (normal bubble, new supplies, 3 oz, etc) and charging $5+.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #67
crazy4kinsler

I know. People tell me that all the time.

But I don't sell much so don't need 100-200 bubbles. I only go through about 15/month. So no need to have that many. Would just clutter up the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
You're overpaying by AT LEAST double for mailers.
Quote:
Seriously, if you are going to ship a lot of cards, buy envelopes in bulk. You can get 000 size mailers in quantity for .06-.07 each.

Even the larger sizes you can get for .12-.15 each.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:52 PM   #68
bcubs

These shipping charge threads pop up from time to time and it's amazing to me how passionate people get about it.
bcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:02 PM   #69
rman112
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4kinsler View Post
I know. People tell me that all the time.

But I don't sell much so don't need 100-200 bubbles. I only go through about 15/month. So no need to have that many. Would just clutter up the house.
I like the blue/grayish plastic ones. Last time I ordered on eBay, a pack of 30 came out to 23 cents each. And these are more expensive than your average yellow bubble.

You don't need to buy in big-time bulk to pay a lot less than you currently are.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:25 PM   #70
Branesergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcubs View Post
These shipping charge threads pop up from time to time and it's amazing to me how passionate people get about it.
And the funniest part is - it's over a dollar or 2 lol Let's waste thousands of dollars on cardboard with men on them and argue over a couple bux on how we get them!
Old 08-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #71
Stifle

Location: I've met great collectors throughout MI and N. Indiana / CHI.

NoPin10 - Who is that you collect ? We can trade ! I go after Mike Brown "Nebraska". Who do you collect ?
Stifle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:08 AM   #72
chris_ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branesergen View Post
Walmart - $5.99 (hardly exact shipping cost) - Spend $35 to get free shipping.
Target - $5.99 (Hardly exact shipping cost) - Get a Target Credit Card for free shipping.
Amazon - $99 a year for free shipping IF its a prime item, otherwise various prices from actual sellers.
Best Buy - Does have free shipping
Lowes - $5.99 - Free with membership
Home Depot - Spend over $45 for free shipping. (Wasn't going to create an account to get actual costs.
Hot Topic - $4.99 shipping
Kmart - $8.25 shipping

Who am I missing that is free? Best buy is the only one unless you spend more money or get a credit card.
One reason I think about it differently is I always meet the minimum. If it's cheap or convenient I buy it in store. I never buy anything online for just $25 where I also pay for shipping, except maybe a hat.

Imho, free shipping is the way to go eBay wise period. Reflects better on you as a seller and eBay likes it for your approval ratings much more. As already mentioned, if cost is itching you, factor it into your price. Maybe 50% of shipping cost so it's not so obvious.
chris_ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #73
unitasfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgersjpm View Post
My guess is it's primarily people hoping no one notices their shipping fees when you bid. I ignore their auctions.
X2 I agree
Old 08-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #74
poppincurbs

I buy cheap singles/inserts all the time and what I don't get is the people who waste their time listing .99 BIN singles, with $3+shipping. I'm going to go with the $1.50 BIN free shipping PWE version every time...
Old 08-08-2017, 12:29 PM   #75
coachnip13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppincurbs View Post
I buy cheap singles/inserts all the time and what I don't get is the people who waste their time listing .99 BIN singles, with $3+shipping. I'm going to go with the $1.50 BIN free shipping PWE version every time...
Yep. I did an experiment with A&G and sold singles instead of sets. Could have sold two 1-350 sets and maybe three more 1-300 sets. Made more selling cheap singles to set finishers, and still have hundreds of cards left. The market is there.
coachnip13 is offline   Reply With Quote