Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > FOOTBALL BOX & CASE BREAKS

Notices

FOOTBALL BOX & CASE BREAKS Post Your FOOTBALL Box & Case Breaks Here!

Old 03-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
mjbentzen

Default Retail Platinum HIT!

Stopped at the local Shopko to buy some printer ink and browsed at the cards... sitting there was 2 un opened boxes of Platinum, so I opened them and pulled the the thick packs out. 1 box had 4 packs and the other 5 thick, so that means there is a PATCH!

bought the 5 packs and was amazed!

Percy Harvin Auto/Patch #020/300 bv $80
mjbentzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
mnvikingstwins

Sick, I'll have to go to target and pack search like that, nice card
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Lions2001

Send a message via MSN to Lions2001

damn kick ass....id like to do that too, i mean what should i do, grab a bag of nacho cheese doritos, can of pop...dig out the cheesiest doritos....swig down cpl half cans of coke and start cuttin open boxes?

What do you do with the doritos n pop, leave the rest?

Last edited by Lions2001; 03-13-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Lions2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
migraine
Banned

.....IBL
migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
erock28

Wow. I really hope you are 14.
erock28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
GA0

Pack searching ftw!! And your sig is awesome too!
GA0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
rudyjustinfarrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbentzen View Post
Stopped at the local Shopko to buy some printer ink and browsed at the cards... sitting there was 2 un opened boxes of Platinum, so I opened them and pulled the the thick packs out. 1 box had 4 packs and the other 5 thick, so that means there is a PATCH!

bought the 5 packs and was amazed!

Percy Harvin Auto/Patch #020/300 bv $80
uh..... ok
Old 03-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
mikeyp

How old are you dude?
mikeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
detox

...........FYF............

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/detox1515/
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Dragline

says ya owned 2 shops hope you didnt practice this same operation with the stuff you sold to the customers or is that why there no longer in business?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
mjbentzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions2001 View Post
damn kick ass....id like to do that too, i mean what should i do, grab a bag of nacho cheese doritos, can of pop...dig out the cheesiest doritos....swig down cpl half cans of coke and start cuttin open boxes?

What do you do with the doritos n pop, leave the rest?
BTW it was a Retail box. 24 packs, $2.99 a pack. My Shopko doesnt ever open the boxes, just leave them sealed on the shelf.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
mjbentzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA0 View Post
Pack searching ftw!! And your sig is awesome too!
its not pack searching... i dont feel the packs, I buy the thick ones... or with blaster boxes, i feel for heavier ones...

My sig is awesome... its the truth...
Old 03-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
Teambo1634

Did you forget to mention the granny and her 2 grand kids you kicked to get to em 1st?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #14
messingaroundok

it IS pack searching ... you weren't asked if you were pack feeling.
messingaroundok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
RGunn1

I never buy from retail stores because I feel it is a waste of money, unless I just get the itch and get a blaster box. But I am a little confused with this issue. I have seen other posters say they have bought Platinum retail packs before, and purposely bought the thicker packs, yet no one got on their case for it????? But everyone is jumping on this guys case, so I am confused as to what is this difference??
RGunn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #16
tolrobb

lol, I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt until I read that he also weighs the boxes.
tolrobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #17
Lions2001

Yea difference is he sits there opening boxes looking for the thicker packs and thats it. Not like it was an open box sittin there and he snagged the cpl thicker looking packs...lol...he intentionally opened the other boxes to dig out all the thick packs....and leave the rest just sittin there open with jackshit left in em.

For example would i say, that if i walked up, seen a box open sittin there....and by look a pack is thicker then others i wouldnt grab it, hells no...id grab it, anyone would. But would i EVER sit there opening their other sealed boxes n shuffle through em to see what looks thicker...no.

Ps i dont care what you say bout shopko and their retail boxes, lol. Bottom line...u opened them yourself to dig through the packs....PERIOD. Come back now n then see a thicker pack...u did what anyone else would do. You sit there rippin open the other stock to find them ALL...you are pack searching.

Know what pissed me off bout this from the start....is that you sit there and talk about how u busted all the closed boxes digging for the thick packs, lol...like you were so proud of it. When in reality selfish guys like yourself are the reason most retail stuff sucks...and the prime reason some shop owners dont let you get near the packs. Im not a long time collector, hell im only a few months in, but even i get this much.

Last edited by Lions2001; 03-13-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #18
jbstrojan

The problem people have isn't that you picked the thick packs, it's that you opened not one, but TWO unopened boxes and picked all the thick packs. If you opened one box because there wasn't any other packs to choose from, then fine. But you opened BOTH boxes, which is greedy. At least wait until the first box packs are sold before you go searching through the other box.

I doubt you care and I doubt the employees of the store even care, but don't expect to tell people all this stuff and expect for everyone to congratulate you for what some people feel is cheating the hobby a bit.
jbstrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #19
ssc8734

I really think the hate should be aimed at the card companies. If a collector is only buying packs for the patches, and the thin packs have no patches then that is a waste of time and money. If Topps makes it so easy to find the Platinums and the patches, I say find them.
I check Milk for EXP Date and I by the one that has the most time left. Is this ripping off others who now have to drink their milk faster than me?? Or is this getting the most for my money. I squeeze the bread for softness. I search the clearance aisles for the best deals.
If blaster boxes had a sign that said "AUTO PATCH IN THIS ONE" "NOTHING IN THIS ONE" if you are buying the 2nd box then "a fool and his money...."
ssc8734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #20
GA0

The Thick refractors were a step in the right direction, but they needed to be inserted in every pack not contaninig a patch auto. At least the companies are trying.
GA0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #21
jbstrojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc8734 View Post
I really think the hate should be aimed at the card companies. If a collector is only buying packs for the patches, and the thin packs have no patches then that is a waste of time and money. If Topps makes it so easy to find the Platinums and the patches, I say find them.
I check Milk for EXP Date and I by the one that has the most time left. Is this ripping off others who now have to drink their milk faster than me?? Or is this getting the most for my money. I squeeze the bread for softness. I search the clearance aisles for the best deals.
If blaster boxes had a sign that said "AUTO PATCH IN THIS ONE" "NOTHING IN THIS ONE" if you are buying the 2nd box then "a fool and his money...."

You squeeze bread for softness?! OH NO! Haha jk man. I can't say I disagree with this at all.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #22
jbstrojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA0 View Post
The Thick refractors were a step in the right direction, but they needed to be inserted in every pack not contaninig a patch auto. At least the companies are trying.
Very true! They should have the thick refractors in EVERY pack rather than a decoy. At least the thick inserts make sense - decoys don't.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #23
Lions2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc8734 View Post

Not taking blame off plat at all. I know they do what they do with thick vs. thin packs. I know you can tell.

My whole qualm is OPENING MULTIPLE UNOPENED BOXES TO DIG THE PACKS OUT. Lets make sure the caps part is the point here. lol.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #24
Lions2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstrojan View Post
Very true! They should have the thick refractors in EVERY pack rather than a decoy. At least the thick inserts make sense - decoys don't.

Yea decoys would help.

Man i remember when i was 17 i worked @ Meijer. A huge grocery store chain at least here. Back then pack molesting (dont worry mj not sayin u felt up the packs).....wasnt even an issue persay. I worked in crappy toys...and at the time cards were in toys. Had toooons of people comin in askin to pack molest boxes. Was a common thing. Due to it, look where we are. Crap for retail boxes 99% of the time.....usually by a register where you can get griped too, lol...why...people who are diggers. End of story.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #25
esaslo

Does anyone remember POGS? The retail sales packs for POGS? Was there anything easier to pick out than a retail POG pack with a quarter-inch thick piece of plexi-glass 'slammer' in it, versus a cardboard POG? I think it simply comes down to not caring, as far as the companies go.
esaslo is offline   Reply With Quote