Blowout Cards Forums
2024 Baseball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:27 AM   #1
WilsonCollector

Default I Just Found OUT about BOARD GAMES!

My Dad had picked up Pandemic for my son for Christmas, we started playing and I'm hooked. My boys are 18 (senior in HS) and 15 and I'm loving the time we are just hanging around together at the table w/o video games or watching TV.

You can have a really great time with your kids, playing these games! I have been getting my butt kicked by my oldest son in Star Wars Rebellion and I'm loving it. I'm really close to my two boys, but if you need a little push to get closer with your kids Pandemic is the answer. It's awesome you play as a team, it won't take long and you and your kids will be doing high 5's plus lot's of planning and hugs in the end Pandemic has a bunch of expansions too!

Games I have:

Star Wars Rebellion + Rise of the Empire expansion. (killer)

Photosynthesis (super cool)

Pandemic, In the Lab ex, State of Emergency ex. (all, awesome) !I need On The Brink! Hit me up!

Incoming, but we haven't played yet.

Gloomheaven

Twilight Struggle

I have others on my want to add list I'll share them as I play them.

Share the cool games you love to play with your kids, I'm looking to add more!
Old 02-25-2018, 04:37 AM   #2
Seahawks fan

Settlers of Catan is my fave board game of all time and offers many expansions. Best part about it is how many different ways you can win so people can't necessarily see your strategy. I played it 1st on the xbox360 and was hooked so I bought the board game and played against the neighborhood both my friends and my son's friends.. soon everyone was hooked even the wife. Very fun and easy to learn game but still deep enough to entice veteran gamers as well.

If it's just fun party games with the wife and friends it's all about scattegories, taboo, and cards against humanity.

Last edited by Seahawks fan; 02-25-2018 at 04:39 AM.
Seahawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
preakness

I couldn’t imagine sitting at the kitchen table playing board games with my teenage children.
I would shiver knowing that I would be working as a team with my oldest kid as he sits there questioning my parenting skills and my conservative political views as his black finger nail polished hands point in my direction while wearing his crossskull and spike rings

The other options would be team up with my daughter who would be more concerned if her purple and blue hair matched the tatoo she got when temporarily ran away over winter break.
What kind of person gives a 12 year old a tatoo??!!

Could have the ex wife come over and play too for some visitation family time but then I’d have to deal with her new “friend” Wendi. Seeing Wendi in her sleeveless flannels always exciting

My youngest would be fun to play with. He’s probably the most normal one in the family. Just wish he’d quit the band at school and join a sport

Scrabble would be fun but we’d have to allow misspelled and or curse words for anyone to earn points

I’m jealous of you OP
preakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
Redsmitty03

These guys have great reviews of very obscure board games. They do a podcast and are on instagram and Facebook.

http://www.marriedwithbg.com
Old 02-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
JosieD

We have a game night once a week. My kids are uoungfwr than yours, 8 and 7. The one we really love at the moment is called Sushi Party.

Day of Breakfast Fundraising: $480
Current total: $130
JosieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
Orangejello727

Ticket to ride. Especially the German marklin board. We have monthly battles.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
hairysasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by preakness View Post
I couldn’t imagine sitting at the kitchen table playing board games with my teenage children.
I would shiver knowing that I would be working as a team with my oldest kid as he sits there questioning my parenting skills and my conservative political views as his black finger nail polished hands point in my direction while wearing his crossskull and spike rings

The other options would be team up with my daughter who would be more concerned if her purple and blue hair matched the tatoo she got when temporarily ran away over winter break.

Could have the ex wife come over and play too for some visitation family time but then I’d have to deal with her new “friend” Wendi. Seeing Wendi in her sleeveless flannels always exciting

My youngest would be fun to play with. He’s probably the most normal one in the family. Just wish he’d quit the band at school and join a sport

Scrabble would be fun but we’d have to allow misspelled and or curse words for anyone to earn points

I’m jealous of you OP
This was a

great Sunday morning read.

I laughed and I cried.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
mhuhn23

I work in a toys and board games distribution warehouse. They sell the employees damaged product. I have several games for sale. The only damage is to the box itself but otherwise they are sealed. Anybody can feel free to PM if interested.

For example I have:
Ticket to Ride 10th Anniversary
D & D Legend of Drizzt
D&D Lords of Waterdeep
Millennium Blades
Arcadia Quest
Rum & Bones Hammers of Ragnarok
Approaching Dawn: The Witching Hour

Congrats on Gloomhaven. That game looks crazy. Depending where you ordered from it may be coming from us.
mhuhn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #9
TheFrenzy

From the title, I was sure this was an IronMonkey thread.

We love board games. You have no idea how many 4+ player games my wife has "redesigned" so that we could play with just 2 players over dinner.

I even designed a fairly extensive board game last year and my brother-in-law printed up everything for me. (And no, it's not the Cones of Dunshire lol)
Old 02-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #10
WilsonCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawks fan View Post
Settlers of Catan is my fave board game of all time and offers many expansions. Best part about it is how many different ways you can win so people can't necessarily see your strategy. I played it 1st on the xbox360 and was hooked so I bought the board game and played against the neighborhood both my friends and my son's friends.. soon everyone was hooked even the wife. Very fun and easy to learn game but still deep enough to entice veteran gamers as well.

If it's just fun party games with the wife and friends it's all about scattegories, taboo, and cards against humanity.
My brother in law said they were into Catan the Game of Thrones version. I’ll have to check that one out.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
Harps

I've picked up the Star Wars ones - Armada, X-Wing & Imperial Assault. X-Wing & Armada are great.

I've not got around to trying IA yet, but it has an app now so I really should.
Harps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #12
no10pin

Quote:

I’m jealous of you OP
The only thing I took from this is that you had a post where a sentence wrapped around to the next line. What sorcery is this?

Also, Catan is awesome, got my kids hooked a couple of years ago.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
preakness

You can
Always take the family bowling

It’ll prepare them
For when they’re overweight and
In their 50s
Old 02-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #14
Nicnac

I always recommend these. Don't think. Just get em.

Easy to learn and play, interesting game play and strategy:

https://www.amazon.com/Gryphon-Games.../dp/B001PQLNY0

A unique coop playstyle where you see other players cards but not your own:

https://www.amazon.com/R-Games-RR-86...dp/B00CYQ9Q76/
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #15
IndyKMB

I started a Strategy Gaming Club in the middle school I teach at. It's been fun watching kids come in with all types of games and interact in such a different way than I'm used to seeing!

I also have games on-hand for them to play:
Pandemic
7 Wonders
Catan
Five Tribes
Risk

Just getting to know how to play Catan. Would LOVE to learn how to play Pandemic and 7 Wonders.
IndyKMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #16
ajlaxmn

Talisman.

It’s a cross between D&D and Monopoly. A LOT of expansions that make the game even bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Always with them negative waves"- Oddball
"Uh-uh, I don't tip"- Mr. Pink
ajlaxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #17
awz50

Wait family's hug??
awz50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #18
TheFrenzy

Why play board games when you can play darts?

(Ok, so what's up with a gif image that only plays once???)

Last edited by TheFrenzy; 02-25-2018 at 05:57 PM.
TheFrenzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #19
JMarchand1981

Quote:

I’m jealous of you OP

This was so good I don't even know what to say but to acknowledge the humor.
JMarchand1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #20
stellablue

We have Ticket to Ride, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Catan , and of course Strat-o-Matic baseball. Good stuff!! It's a shame that more kids aren't familiar with this genre of games.

Last edited by stellablue; 02-25-2018 at 07:28 PM.
stellablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #21
preakness

Loved strat-o-matic and status pro growing up
Old 02-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #22
poita

Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan are fantastic. I spent half the weekend playing Carcassonne with my 7 year old, but not sure how much replay value it will have. I enjoy 7 Wonders but it is not so popular with my family. I received Orleans for Christmas, but haven't worked out how to play it yet.
poita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #23
swowannabe

Like the recommendations here. Have a couple more to throw in!

Lords of Waterdeep - Pretty fun free-for-all sort of building/resource game based in a Dungeons and Dragons setting. Even if you aren't a D&D nerd, you can appreciate the medieval fantasy setting for sure! Very fun, high degree of replayability!

Arkham Horror / Eldritch Horror - So I list both because I suspect they're similar. I've only played Arkham Horror, as Eldritch came out afterwards and the word on the street is once you play Eldritch you'll never want to play Arkham again. But I love Arkham, so I can't bear the thought of never wanting to play it again. Both are a (almost completely) co-operative game of fighting/detective work/dice rolling/resource management/crazy fun trying to stop Cthulu and his dudes from taking over the world. Seriously fun.

Axis & Allies - Risk, evolved. Takes a long time to set up. Can basically be over in a minute if you have a very bold German player who gets some lucky dice rolls and eliminates the British in the blink of an eye. But a completely different flavor.

Quarriors - Hard to describe, you have dice you buy and you need monsters and... yeah. It's pretty good.

Alchemists - This one is fun. Mix potions, solve logic puzzles to determine the properties of the ingredients. Or do what I do, make stuff up as you go along with a really fancy hat and by the time everyone catches on you're too far ahead for it to matter!

Machi Koro - Absolute favorite right now. Super easy to set up, game is different every time, pretty basic but some interesting strategy, doesn't take real long either. Very re-playable!

Love Letter - Great portable game. I highly recommend getting it for when you're out at a restaurant! You can easily play while you wait for your food, so phones don't come out. Also fun to play normally.

Battlestar Galactica - Needs 4-5 players to play (3 probably isn't enough for it to be fun) and oh, the humans usually lose. But it's a lot of fun, intrigue and deception, resource management, fighting the toasters, sometimes you get to be a toaster! This game is a hoot if you can muster the (recommended) 4+ players needed!

This list is by no means comprehensive, just a list of my top choices right now. Super cool you and your boys are playing board games right now! Can't wait for mine to be able to play, we've been investigating much simpler games like My First Bonanza! But at 4 and 2, we've got a ways to go!

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you have an afternoon you can go to a local game store and they probably have a bunch of these games you can demo before buying. Very worthwhile!
Old 02-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #24
kerg

I have probably 100 games in my collection. My game collection is very heavily slanted in solitaire/co-op style games.

Some that I can recommend

Fortune and Glory
Shadows of Brimstone
Elder Sign
Massive Darkness
Zombicide
Black Plague
Mage Knight
This War of Mine
Pathfinder
Kingdom Death Monster

Heard good things about T.I.M.E Stories and have 7th Continent arriving from kickstarter in a month or so.

Have Gloomhaven, but haven't brought it to table to play yet. Beast of a game.

Last edited by kerg; 02-26-2018 at 02:06 PM.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #25
Crisscross4767

As others have mentioned, I would get Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride if I was you.