Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 09-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #126
Fenway55

FWIW, I always loved Upper Deck products. They were my favorite card company back when multiple companies made football but since I only bought football from them that went away a couple years ago. I can't really comment on their non-sports lineup, although I may dabble into Infinity War for fun.

I always found it strange that Disney owns Star Wars and Disney owns Marvel, yet each of those brands have separate agreements with different card companies. I would not be surprised if that gets consolidated one of these days. I also wouldn't be surprised if each card company is doing their best to compete to be that one that takes over all the properties (if such thing ever were to take place)

Last edited by Fenway55; 09-05-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Fenway55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:39 PM   #127
finfangfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDeckMatt View Post

TLDR: I chose to not participate in the forums anymore. Rather than becoming a conduit of information as I was hoping, I became more of a focal point of hostility. Spending hours debating a company decision or trying to essentially explain myself for factors that I/UD do not have control of was not beneficial to anyone. We should try to work together to make the hobby better as a whole as that will benefit everyone. I say this as a collector more than a UD employee. I will still lurk the forums to see what's up from time to time.

And yes, you can expect Tom Holland to have auto cards in Infinity war with new & returning signers.
Hey Matt,

Welcome back! Quick question... why hasn’t Ud packed printing plates in several of the recent Marvel releases (latest Premier, Marvel Annual 2017, and FUXM)? They were a fun hit in older Marvel Premiers, Marvel Annual 2016, and FUSM.
finfangfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #128
tnvolfan16

most of these people are just mad because they assumed that certain people would be in some of the sets and they were not able to make the killing they thought they should on every release.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #129
hobbystuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvolfan16 View Post
most of these people are just mad because they assumed that certain people would be in some of the sets and they were not able to make the killing they thought they should on every release.
So your happy with a box of cards that will cost you $150 and there is no cards in the product that will be worth the value of the box?
If this is the case noone will buy these boxes and there will be no demand for the product.
I'm sure Upper Deck wants their non sport boxes to sell well and doesn't like it when distributors are stuck with them and therefore need to move them at a discount or a loss.

Simple math : Making a good product = everyone is happy
hobbystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #130
Brobocop

Quote:
Wrong, totally wrong. Nice try though. There are a good amount of people who break boxes and, this is going to sound crazy, keep what they hit. Those people just want a chance at something nice for a decent price. Charging what they did for Black Panther and Solo was horrendous given what those boxes were putting out.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #131
kerg

Quote:
Generally people are just frustrated that certain companies can bring in many top names however UD is lacking in that department with sets lately.

On top of it, manufactured hits, not releasing a checklist and showing mock ups of cards that won't make it to the set turn off a lot of people.

I think if UD used Avengers Assemble, Thor Dark World 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy as the bar, people would be fairly happy.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #132
Sharard

Be nice to see if seeing Elezabeth Olsonand Chris Evans as examplsis also confirmed cause I admit this is not the best time for these “where what we were hoping for but did not work out’..so tough cookies for those that preordered this.

I much rather see whatever is you have as confirmed rather than what seemingly look like bait and switch.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #133
tnvolfan16

folks, getting a crap box is just part of collecting. I have had plenty of crap boxes. no I don't like it, but I understand it is a possibility everytime I open one. and if you preorder without knowing exactly whats in there, well, that's the chance you take. and if you say "upper deck keeps doing this to us" and you still preorder, that's another issue for you. just wait until the checklist comes out or it is obvious whats in there and buy them then. may cost you another $10, but at least you know what you are looking at
Old 09-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #134
kerg

Quote:
folks, getting a crap box is just part of collecting.
Difference between bad boxes and bad product.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:42 PM   #135
Brobocop

Quote:
folks, getting a crap box is just part of collecting. I have had plenty of crap boxes. no I don't like it, but I understand it is a possibility everytime I open one. and if you preorder without knowing exactly whats in there, well, that's the chance you take. and if you say "upper deck keeps doing this to us" and you still preorder, that's another issue for you. just wait until the checklist comes out or it is obvious whats in there and buy them then. may cost you another $10, but at least you know what you are looking at
Honestly, if you can't see why people get upset over products like Black Panther and Solo, then I got nothing more I can really say about this. I mean companies put out sell sheets that are chock full of disclaimers. Guess that's totally okay then.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #136
jdhaugh11

Quote:
My attendance to these forums is a contradiction of your statement. My presence here, however, is entirely optional as my job priorities are in product development. I was here as a courtesy to anyone who frequents the boards as they do provide feedback and insight, not just for UD products, but for the hobby as a whole. And with most things that are optional in life, I have a choice, and I have chosen to stop posting (with the exception here and yes, I see the irony in that...).

I can give explanations and insights in regards to decisions made or our approach to problems from the company stance, within reason. I can even give first hand info about what to expect for upcoming products as well as clarifications to questions. But what I can't do is change peoples opinions formed from incomplete data. Data that I either can't reveal (internal), or data that I don't have (external). Yes, I understand that you are upset with something, and we will do everything we can to fix it in the future, but the fix will absolutely not come over night. If you want to assume that UD is simply not trying, that is YOUR opinion and you have every right to form one, but that is simply not true. Some products will be better than others regardless of what is in it. Especially when different people want different things. I have seen some people state that the lack of wardrobe for Infinity War is a turn off for them. That was a decision on our end to focus time and resources elsewhere. Does that mean that these customers may not buy Infinity War when it releases? Quite possibly, but that is a risk we are taking. Once Infinity War releases, I'm sure everyone will post their thoughts here as well as other sites. If you are upset about a certain factor of the hobby, that is fine. We want that feedback and we will try to adjust going forward for future products and try to help. What we can't help with is factors that are beyond our control, but we will try our hardest to make it right. Assuming that we don't "try" to the best of our abilities as a company is a straight up falsehood.

TLDR: I chose to not participate in the forums anymore. Rather than becoming a conduit of information as I was hoping, I became more of a focal point of hostility. Spending hours debating a company decision or trying to essentially explain myself for factors that I/UD do not have control of was not beneficial to anyone. We should try to work together to make the hobby better as a whole as that will benefit everyone. I say this as a collector more than a UD employee. I will still lurk the forums to see what's up from time to time.

And yes, you can expect Tom Holland to have auto cards in Infinity war with new & returning signers.
UD Matt, I hope you do return and give us insight on future products, it was much appreciated.
I think most people on here are and where respectful, with primarily constructive criticism.
I do feel the bashing of Black Panther was warranted, but for the most part people did not direct it to you, but rather at UD the company.
I understand that you work for UD, and you can't bash them, but when you and everyone else knows a product is a disaster, it was hard for people to digest what you were saying about the product.
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #137
tier1dc

Quote:
My attendance to these forums is a contradiction of your statement. My presence here, however, is entirely optional as my job priorities are in product development. I was here as a courtesy to anyone who frequents the boards as they do provide feedback and insight, not just for UD products, but for the hobby as a whole. And with most things that are optional in life, I have a choice, and I have chosen to stop posting (with the exception here and yes, I see the irony in that...).

I can give explanations and insights in regards to decisions made or our approach to problems from the company stance, within reason. I can even give first hand info about what to expect for upcoming products as well as clarifications to questions. But what I can't do is change peoples opinions formed from incomplete data. Data that I either can't reveal (internal), or data that I don't have (external). Yes, I understand that you are upset with something, and we will do everything we can to fix it in the future, but the fix will absolutely not come over night. If you want to assume that UD is simply not trying, that is YOUR opinion and you have every right to form one, but that is simply not true. Some products will be better than others regardless of what is in it. Especially when different people want different things. I have seen some people state that the lack of wardrobe for Infinity War is a turn off for them. That was a decision on our end to focus time and resources elsewhere. Does that mean that these customers may not buy Infinity War when it releases? Quite possibly, but that is a risk we are taking. Once Infinity War releases, I'm sure everyone will post their thoughts here as well as other sites. If you are upset about a certain factor of the hobby, that is fine. We want that feedback and we will try to adjust going forward for future products and try to help. What we can't help with is factors that are beyond our control, but we will try our hardest to make it right. Assuming that we don't "try" to the best of our abilities as a company is a straight up falsehood.

Cool. But I didn't ask about wardrobe cards.

I stated that after the dumpster fire Black Panther set you left and hadn't posted since.

As the license holder to the #3 grossing movie of all time UD put out a set that had 3 hot garbage autos at a $125 price point. For a historically significant black cast UD produced a signers sheet that had Martin Freeman on it????

I'm specifically making note of the delusional people here who keep lining up to excuse this stuff and buy cases that consist of bait and switch sell sheets on the HOPE that Upper Deck will come through. MAYBE THIS TIME!!!!!

Reading the posts of people who want to spend money on UD product and are gun shy because of the recent track record established should speak volumes.

Last edited by tier1dc; 09-05-2018 at 09:43 PM.
tier1dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #138
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tier1dc View Post
Cool. But I didn't ask about wardrobe cards.

I stated that after the dumpster fire Black Panther set you left and hadn't posted since.

As the license holder to the #3 grossing movie of all time UD put out a set that had 3 hot garbage autos at a $125 price point. For a historically significant black cast UD produced a signers sheet that had Martin Freeman on it????

I'm specifically making note of the delusional people here who keep lining up to excuse this stuff and buy cases that consist of bait and switch sell sheets on the HOPE that Upper Deck will come through. MAYBE THIS TIME!!!!!

Reading the posts of people who want to spend money on UD product and are gun shy because of the recent track record established should speak volumes.
Seeing case prices at around $770 and with the POTENTIAL this product has, I'm considering pulling the trigger since it's been ages since I've opened wax. BUT, I just can't do it without some sort of guarantee that the signers for the product are actually decent hits and not some background character that had one or so lines of dialogue. The sell sheet shows Olsen, Evans, and Holland, but Matt only gave comfort on Holland. That's what drives people a bit crazy.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:15 PM   #139
tier1dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
Seeing case prices at around $770 and with the POTENTIAL this product has, I'm considering pulling the trigger since it's been ages since I've opened wax. BUT, I just can't do it without some sort of guarantee that the signers for the product are actually decent hits and not some background character that had one or so lines of dialogue. The sell sheet shows Olsen, Evans, and Holland, but Matt only gave comfort on Holland. That's what drives people a bit crazy.
potential is absolutely there. it always is. then people start opening the product and reality comes crashing down.

wording such as "1-2 Manufactured Film Cel, Autograph, or Sketch Cards Per Box!" doesn't help either.

How many $100 boxes will have 1 fake film cel as the main hit? Depressing.

from the sell sheet....

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
- The pinnacle of the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

will be interested to see if the product lives up to the tag.

Last edited by tier1dc; 09-05-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #140
arek

Group break is up and almost full
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #141
Triple B

So long as you all keep buying these horrid products and give UD reason to not put as much effort into these sets that Rittenhouse did, you'll keep getting products like this handed to you. Speak with your wallets.
Triple B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #142
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
So long as you all keep buying these horrid products and give UD reason to not put as much effort into these sets that Rittenhouse did, you'll keep getting products like this handed to you. Speak with your wallets.
To be fair, we have no real idea what is in this product in terms of signers, so that's the bigger issue we are having right now. If they have Evans, Stan, Holland, Olsen, Hemsworth, Pratt, Saldana, Batista, Gillan, Klementieff, and Hiddleston, then that's a pretty solid list of signers.

The question is, do they have them or not though?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #143
tier1dc

Quote:
gotta get that group break full though.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #144
arek

Quote:
Although i plan to get a base set of SW galaxy, I've stopped buying cases and boxes of SW cards because i was disappointed with them, yet it doesn't seem to have made any difference to the quality of Topps' sets. There's really no way to convince enough individual customers to boycott a product, so unless card retailers who buy in bulk start complaining, i wouldn't expect any change.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #145
thepick88

I will say this about the Infinity War set. I messaged UD Matt and he has NOT responded to me at all. I had heard from someone regarding the auto list and I was told there were 8 signers for the set. If those 8 signers are confirmed I would be very happy. I also heard they are waiting for 2 other signers to come through which would make this set comparable to the first Guardians set which I think is the best set UD/Marvel ever put out autograph wise. We will see soon!
thepick88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #146
arek

I still wish they'd get Stan Lee to sign as his cameo character.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #147
thepick88

Quote:
Originally Posted by arek View Post
I still wish they'd get Stan Lee to sign as his cameo character.
Stan Lee wasnt on the list I heard but it would be awesome!
thepick88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #148
Sharard

Might be small chance for Cumberbatch too since had sticker autos in Dr. Strange. I’m not hopeful on Hiddleston since did not sign in Ragnorok.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #149
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
Might be small chance for Cumberbatch too since had sticker autos in Dr. Strange. I’m not hopeful on Hiddleston since did not sign in Ragnorok.
Forgot he signed for the Doctor Strange set. I really want to order a case of this since it's been so long since I've done that, and the prospects of a really strong list are starting to materialize, I just can't pull the trigger on $800 without knowing exactly what might be in there. I bought a few boxes of Solo and had to resell them just to get out from underneath that mess of a release. Had it had one or two strong signers, I probably would have opened them.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:30 AM   #150
DrGhostbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepick88 View Post
Stan Lee wasnt on the list I heard but it would be awesome!
Who did you hear was on the list of possible 8? Who is on that list of 2?