Blowout Cards Forums
2024 Baseball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Sports & Politics

Notices

Sports & Politics This section is for all political sports talk. Regrettably we feel that in some instances there is no way to eliminate politics from football, basketball, and baseball hobbytalk. Do you pretend nothing is happening with the Warriors, Steelers, A's, etc? This section is for all political sports discussion. However, it is for civil discussion only. No insults aimed at members, political parties, or politicians will be tolerated. There is no warning. If you cannot be civil, you will lose your posting privileges on this site.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #26
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
I say it has to put extra stress on the knees. We will likely see a rise in MCL and ACL surgeries.
I thought of this as well, waiting for the first OL to blow his knee out trying to get off the ground.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #27
preakness

Welfare

What a crutch
Old 09-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #28
Jasondr91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo27 View Post
If sports are truly an escape then why do we have to remind the attendees of our nationalism every single game? The national anthem has absolutely nothing to do with playing a sporting event unless done in an international tournament. Zero. We don't play the national anthem before we sit down to watch tv, or to take a jog in the park, or play video games. Why must we play it then before we sit down to watch meaningless sporting events then? In truth the anthem at sporting events attempts to remind us that even in an "escape" that our status as proud Americans must be referred to and emphasized, which ultimately makes any sort of protest during it valid as it essentially is a brief return to reality from the escape that football may or may not be.
And a sporting event is not the place for an athlete to display a political stance, ever. Zero. Play sports, that's what we're there to see. See how easy it is to spin that logic? Remove the anthem from before a game. Keep the politics out, fair enough.

Just curious, do you celebrate the 4th of July?

This NFL fight reminds me....why was Tim Tebow demonized for being a Christian while in the NFL? Sure his talent ultimately removed him from the league. But his rookie season, and the year after?I seem to remember people having a problem with him thanking God for his play, etc. He was considered a social liability and couldn't find a job. Same thing happened to Kap....only he gets to play the worn out, tired race card.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #29
ILOVEBEER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac213up View Post
What I find interesting is people's priorities. No issue rooting for a woman beater or accessory to murder but all hell breaks lose when an athlete takes a knee. Weird stuff.
I think there's a lot of fans that can't stand the bad players. How the league didn't ban Mike Vick is beyond me. Zeke Elliot is getting on my nerves as well. But yes, lots of fans just don't care about certain things.

Did you see Ray Lewis kneeling with the Ravens last week? I can't take most of these guys seriously. The league is starting to become a joke.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #30
chezball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
I think there's a lot of fans that can't stand the bad players. How the league didn't ban Mike Vick is beyond me. Zeke Elliot is getting on my nerves as well. But yes, lots of fans just don't care about certain things.

Did you see Ray Lewis kneeling with the Ravens last week? I can't take most of these guys seriously. The league is starting to become a joke.
He actually explained this on showtime, do you know why he was on both knees?
Old 09-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #31
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
Begging for mercy from the judge not to put him in jail?
Old 09-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #32
ILOVEBEER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
I just read why. I still don't like him and what he did years ago.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #33
chezball

Quote:
I just read why. I still don't like him and what he did years ago.
Listen, I'm no fan of the guy but he's out there trying to fix what's wrong out there. So you have to give him credit for that, even if you like him or not.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #34
RossOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielon View Post
I'm telling ya...someone on the right will have the stones to "protest" during the anthem that the left doesn't like. Possibly anti abortion, maybe something pro trump related, possibly a sign stating "climate change is a hoax!". Goodell should come in and say to the players...either stay in the locker room during the anthem. Or stand, or face the penalty of increasing fines. Why? because they this is a no-win situation if this continues and it will hurt the NFL. Anyone saying it isn't is naive.
If something like that were to happen, I imagine it would elicit little more than an eye roll from most on the left. There wouldn't be people calling for said player to be fired or released or lynched. He'd be the butt of some light razzing at worst.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #35
pingbling23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossOK View Post
If something like that were to happen, I imagine it would elicit little more than an eye roll from most on the left. There wouldn't be people calling for said player to be fired or released or lynched. He'd be the butt of some light razzing at worst.
really? have you seen how the left has acted before and after the election?
Old 09-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #36
Cervantes

I love the narrative that these athletes shouldn't use their platform to protest. This is AMERICA. We can protest at churches, schools, police departments, The White House, and more...but not at an NFL game? Seriously?

I don't care if it's YOUR ''escape", lol; why is YOUR ''escape'' more important than their voice?

If your stance is that, as an employer and as a business, the NFL should not allow it, I have no issue with that at all. On the job, on their time, on their dime, no problem. AT ALL.

I take issue with the people who feel as if they SHOULD not have a voice, because they are just athletes. Play football, BOY. Shut up, BOY. < Yes, that's what it is to some. Know your place.

I also take issue with the people who feel as if they should shut up and appreciate where they're at; they're just playing a game, and getting paid millions. EXACTLY. No one gave that to them; they earned it. So, for the people on here who have stated that these inner-city kids (mostly BLACK Americans) should just find a magic way to get out, because they can do anything anyone else can do. That's BS; your surroundings, your resources (or lack of), your support group, your schooling system, your family...they all played a role in where YOU are at; what happens when that is ALL lacking, or missing?

It's not an excuse, entirely; many, many, MANY people have made it out of similar circumstances. I get that, and I encourage ALL people to strive to improve themselves. Great. BUT. I take issue with the people who act as if this is a myth made up my Antifa/Black Lives Matter/Hillary/houdini's alter ego iniduoh. If you don't live in their shoes, how can you be so naive/stupid to think your life path mirrors theirs, except they CHOSE not to progress.

I agree that there are most likely many players kneeling for the wrong reasons, or for no reason other than to do it. I also believe that there are people criticizing them for the same reasons.

I've stated my opinions on the 'kneeling' situation, and I still feel the same way.

Carry on.

Last edited by Cervantes; 09-28-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:34 PM   #37
Cervantes

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude, my bad.

God Bless.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:39 PM   #38
rman112
Banned

Whenever I see someone vying for "free speech" or saying "it's their right", I see someone who agrees with the protestors, but are too ashamed to admit it.

With the "it's their right" crowd, how far are you willing to take that? Because if some player decided to take a knee and stated it was in favor of some kind of undeniably despicable cause (use your imagination), would you champion their rights? I don't think so.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:08 PM   #39
rman112
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervantes View Post
I love the narrative that these athletes shouldn't use their platform to protest. This is AMERICA. We can protest at churches, schools, police departments, The White House, and more...but not at an NFL game? Seriously?

I don't care if it's YOUR ''escape", lol; why is YOUR ''escape'' more important than their voice?

If your stance is that, as an employer and as a business, the NFL should not allow it, I have no issue with that at all. On the job, on their time, on their dime, no problem. AT ALL.

I take issue with the people who feel as if they SHOULD not have a voice, because they are just athletes. Play football, BOY. Shut up, BOY. < Yes, that's what it is to some. Know your place.

I also take issue with the people who feel as if they should shut up and appreciate where they're at; they're just playing a game, and getting paid millions. EXACTLY. No one gave that to them; they earned it. So, for the people on here who have stated that these inner-city kids (mostly BLACK Americans) should just find a magic way to get out, because they can do anything anyone else can do. That's BS; your surroundings, your resources (or lack of), your support group, your schooling system, your family...they all played a role in where YOU are at; what happens when that is ALL lacking, or missing?

It's not an excuse, entirely; many, many, MANY people have made it out of similar circumstances. I get that, and I encourage ALL people to strive to improve themselves. Great. BUT. I take issue with the people who act as if this is a myth made up my Antifa/Black Lives Matter/Hillary/houdini's alter ego iniduoh. If you don't live in their shoes, how can you be so naive/stupid to think your life path mirrors theirs, except they CHOSE not to progress.

I agree that there are most likely many players kneeling for the wrong reasons, or for no reason other than to do it. I also believe that there are people criticizing them for the same reasons.

I've stated my opinions on the 'kneeling' situation, and I still feel the same way.

Carry on.
So, to shrink (part of) this down.. Some people have it harder than others. No mention of what exactly should be done. Is that not just complaining?

Last edited by rman112; 09-28-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:26 AM   #40
pingbling23

Quote:

Carry on.
What's the solution? The lack of guidance in these communities you are talking about is sickening. It's not the "system" that's failing them. It's not a race thing, it's the way kids are raised in poverty stricken areas. I've always heard change starts from within, let's see it. How many single grandmothers are raising multiple grandkids out there because the parents that should be doing everything they can don't care.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #41
Cervantes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
So, to shrink (part of) this down.. Some people have it harder than others. No mention of what exactly should be done. Is that not just complaining?
I believe that some people think it's as easy as them standing up, and working in the community. Donating money. Providing mentorship. Yes, that is very, very true. But I also feel as if some people are either dillusional or just don't care when the issue is brought up.

Again, shut up and play your roll, boy. Risk your life for my entertainment, but I don't really care if there is a terrible plague where you come from, we have rainbows and butterflys over here.

Or, it's all lies made up by liberals, starting with Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingbling23 View Post
What's the solution? The lack of guidance in these communities you are talking about is sickening. It's not the "system" that's failing them. It's not a race thing, it's the way kids are raised in poverty stricken areas. I've always heard change starts from within, let's see it. How many single grandmothers are raising multiple grandkids out there because the parents that should be doing everything they can don't care.
It absolutely is the system that is failing them; there are multiple levels of a 'system' in a child's life. In a lot of these kids' cases, some of those levels are either missing or extremely lacking. I believe that the communities themselves need to unite and start the change, but why should any AMERICAN, and that's what a lot of this is about, because a LOT of people don't look at the PEOPLE these players are protesting for as quite as American as themselves, so the news and internet forms their opinion, especially memes and blowout.

Without experiencing what is going on in the everyday lives of people, we shouldn't be so quick to judge and then dismiss our fellow Americans. I don't want to help drug dealers. I don't want to help gang bangers. I don't want to help rapists, or murderers, or bigots, and the list goes on and on.

But at the heart of this issue, to me, is the kids, because these ''THUGS'', as one member has called ALL of the NFL protestors, were kids at one time, who grew up with less opportunities than I had, and I grew up poor. I thought.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #42
Cervantes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
Whenever I see someone vying for "free speech" or saying "it's their right", I see someone who agrees with the protestors, but are too ashamed to admit it.

With the "it's their right" crowd, how far are you willing to take that? Because if some player decided to take a knee and stated it was in favor of some kind of undeniably despicable cause (use your imagination), would you champion their rights? I don't think so.
I would assume an ''undeniably despicable cause" would be illegal, so no, I wouldn't support them.

They haven't done anything illegal, immoral, or ''bad'', in my opinion.

If they were burning the flag (which is thier right, I guess) as a form of protest, I absolutely would NOT support it, and I would be 100000% against them doing it. I would welcome discussion on the issue at hand, but would be disgusted.

Last edited by Cervantes; 09-29-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #43
pingbling23

Quote:
I believe that some people think it's as easy as them standing up, and working in the community. Donating money. Providing mentorship. Yes, that is very, very true. But I also feel as if some people are either dillusional or just don't care when the issue is brought up.

Again, shut up and play your roll, boy. Risk your life for my entertainment, but I don't really care if there is a terrible plague where you come from, we have rainbows and butterflys over here.

Or, it's all lies made up by liberals, starting with Obama.

It absolutely is the system that is failing them; there are multiple levels of a 'system' in a child's life. In a lot of these kids' cases, some of those levels are either missing or extremely lacking. I believe that the communities themselves need to unite and start the change, but why should any AMERICAN, and that's what a lot of this is about, because a LOT of people don't look at the PEOPLE these players are protesting for as quite as American as themselves, so the news and internet forms their opinion, especially memes and blowout.

Without experiencing what is going on in the everyday lives of people, we shouldn't be so quick to judge and then dismiss our fellow Americans. I don't want to help drug dealers. I don't want to help gang bangers. I don't want to help rapists, or murderers, or bigots, and the list goes on and on.

But at the heart of this issue, to me, is the kids, because these ''THUGS'', as one member has called ALL of the NFL protestors, were kids at one time, who grew up with less opportunities than I had, and I grew up poor. I thought.
I have plenty of experience to know what's going on. It's laziness and a lack of responsibility on the people that should be raising and teaching children. Then it's a repeat cycle from generation to generation. Blaming the system is the biggest scapegoat for not taking personal accountability. Honestly it's not shocking these athletes have the opinions they have. A lot were raised in a poor environment and taught to hate people of opposite race, the wealthy, police, government, etc.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:11 AM   #44
jcardstore

Quote:

This is the mentality of most people that I don't understand. "Everything is fine for me so all this stuff people are protesting must not exist, therefore it is dumb".
Old 09-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #45
jcardstore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingbling23 View Post
I have plenty of experience to know what's going on. It's laziness and a lack of responsibility on the people that should be raising and teaching children. Then it's a repeat cycle from generation to generation. Blaming the system is the biggest scapegoat for not taking personal accountability. Honestly it's not shocking these athletes have the opinions they have. A lot were raised in a poor environment and taught to hate people of opposite race, the wealthy, police, government, etc.
Does that mean they should just stay silent to a very real problem? Systematic oppression isn't something that's just made up, it exists.

Just because you've never been treated unfairly by a policy officer because of your skin color, does it mean that nobody has, that's it's made up?

Most white people just ignore it because it's never happened to them. People need to understand that there is legitimacy to both sides of the argument. Each side likes to completely discredit the other and it just leads to divisiveness
Old 09-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #46
Boo

Had they done this to begin with, there wouldn't have been as much outrage/hate

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/29/ne...-anthem-london
Old 09-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #47
carlo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardstore View Post
Does that mean they should just stay silent to a very real problem? Systematic oppression isn't something that's just made up, it exists.

Just because you've never been treated unfairly by a policy officer because of your skin color, does it mean that nobody has, that's it's made up?

Most white people just ignore it because it's never happened to them. People need to understand that there is legitimacy to both sides of the argument. Each side likes to completely discredit the other and it just leads to divisiveness
"People need to understand that there is legitimacy to both sides of the argument." /THREAD
Old 09-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #48
Cervantes

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo16 View Post
"People need to understand that there is legitimacy to both sides of the argument." /THREAD
Just what I was going to post.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #49
ILOVEBEER
Banned

LVMPD released casino and body cam video of Michael Bennett's incident. Let's see if we get an apology from him or if he drops his complaint. Detained for 17 minutes, sprinted out of the casino after jumping a railing. Dude couldn't get out of the casino fast enough. Mean while, other people are just walking by like nobody's business.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #50
Siberian13

Quote:
LVMPD released casino and body cam video of Michael Bennett's incident. Let's see if we get an apology from him or if he drops his complaint. Detained for 17 minutes, sprinted out of the casino after jumping a railing. Dude couldn't get out of the casino fast enough. Mean while, other people are just walking by like nobody's business.
Which video? I didn't see much in the ones I watched.