Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

Notices

MMA - Mixed Martial Arts Post your MMA Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #1
HeadstrongRSS

Default Football collector...how is this market?

Hey all! I'm an avid football collector, but MMA is always something I'm into. I was curious about the market for MMA cards...whats everyone's thoughts? Is it something that is growing?
HeadstrongRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Magickyak

Terrible in my opinion. I collect the cards as a fan, but I'm done attempting to flip anything. When Museum was brand new I listed my cards on eBay and many of the better ones didn't even get a single offer. Even Very Good cards can rarely make up the cost of a single box.
Magickyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
patchgenie

these box prices are way too high. really low resale value. the only thing that will influence price is if they win the title or are a fan favorite like PVZ. dustin poirier just had a great fight and his cards barely budged i guess.
patchgenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:33 AM   #4
sthoemke

There are too many sets being produced. Base cards don't hold much value.

The hobby took a big hits when Rousey lost the title, and various men's belts were vacated/stripped in recent years.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
HeadstrongRSS

Damn. That sucks.
HeadstrongRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #6
jstasyk1121

was pretty solid like 4-5yrs ago i feel...but then you kinda run out of "rookies" or "1st autograph" guys/girls...once in while you will get someone who drives prices...but chances are by the time someone gets hot...they already had a 1st auto 3+yrs ago so then that card can rise...

like Max Holloway...i had a gold 1st auto of his...from Finest...2012 or 13 i think...when it first came out it was a nice hit but nothing special...then he went on a 10+ fight win streak and won a title and i listed it for like $150BIN or something and it sold within hours...so stuff like that can happen...like i remember Weidman in the original finest was his rookie auto...and he was one of those guys that you would hit alot....then he beat anderson 2x and that random $1-3 card shot up in value...but at time of release its pretty rare i feel like to have that rookie auto to chase...and guys like GSP/Jones/McGregor even have 1000s and 1000s of autos out there now...you can get a low numbered of some legends for like$20...thats crazy...
jstasyk1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
BestRCs

Awful.... For the mainstream releases I feel like there are so many cards yet none of them are "must haves". There is nothing special about them.

I think in the mainstream there are only a couple of must get cards in mma that will actually move the needle.

Probably the 1st autos of McGregor, GSP, especially the rare parallels of them and thats about it.
BestRCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #8
Magickyak

It's very telling of how popular a sport is when an autograph of the girl who holds up the cards with the round number on them consistently sells for more than a current champion who's defended his belt in 11 consecutive fights.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #9
Stat Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickyak View Post
It's very telling of how popular a sport is when an autograph of the girl who holds up the cards with the round number on them consistently sells for more than a current champion who's defended his belt in 11 consecutive fights.
MMA is like WWE and Benchwarmers indeed... SEX SELLS
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #10
sthoemke

There is a great market for Japanese MMA cards. They have really taken off in the last couple of years.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:31 AM   #11
Seahawks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstasyk1121 View Post
was pretty solid like 4-5yrs ago i feel...but then you kinda run out of "rookies" or "1st autograph" guys/girls...once in while you will get someone who drives prices...but chances are by the time someone gets hot...they already had a 1st auto 3+yrs ago so then that card can rise...

That's exactly what happened with Golf cards.. 2 solid years of rookies with Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson etc then no one so they had to use the Women for year 3. After that there was nothing new to produce so they did the smart thing and canned it and went on a 10 year hiatus until there was a new crop of rookies/1st time autos. MMA should do the same thing and take a couple years off.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #12
jstasyk1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawks fan View Post
That's exactly what happened with Golf cards.. 2 solid years of rookies with Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson etc then no one so they had to use the Women for year 3. After that there was nothing new to produce so they did the smart thing and canned it and went on a 10 year hiatus until there was a new crop of rookies/1st time autos. MMA should do the same thing and take a couple years off.
yea that would make sense...they should have done it that way from the beginning...just have releases every other year...so you would have 2yrs worth of "rookies/new guys" to be your 1st signers and could prob have sustained a bit better...

i mean it could go bad at the same time...if a guy misses one release...wins title and becomes big name...but the next release isnt for another 18months and he ends up losing via KO...well now what would have been a huge hit in 2017 is not that special in 2018 or something...
Old 04-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #13
k13
Banned

It's OK to have a release every year the problem is they have a bunch of releases a year not one.

It really has no hope because the future is not bright for the sport either. It has peaked. Stale and rehashed.
Terrible presentation, boring fighters or ones that try to hard to be entertaining when they are played out.
Too many ppv's.
Everyone loses eventually so legacy fades fast.
k13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #14
jstasyk1121

i think they need to do away with PPVs...or severely limit them...do a SB weekend one...a july 4th one...and an end of year one or something...

i used to buy them all...every 3-4 wks...now i get maybe 2-3 per year...cuz its simply not worth $65 for 1 fight or sometimes 2 fights that as dana would say "move the needle"...and that is their fault i agree...they dont care about anyone for the future...they just take who is hot now and push them to no end...like Ronda and Conor...so when those 2 dont fight then you get a year of blah PPVs...when ronda came back to fight Nunes it was sold as basically "she is back to get her belt"...and no one spoke about nunes at all...so when she slaughtered her there was nothing built in to work off of...now conor makes $100M boxing...hasnt fought in almost 2yrs with no end in sight...he wont fight khabib from what i can tell...has 0 defenses and people are sick of it...and they still are just waiting for that big PPV with him and all these other guys who are probably better than him and just as exciting dont get any coverage...
Old 04-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #15
Magickyak

Yup, that free Fight Night card a couple weeks ago, the Poirier/Gaethje one, eclipsed many PPVs I've seen from start to finish. It was a totally entertaining complete card that was absolutely free. I don't see how they can ask $70 for essentially the same thing they're giving away all the time. Either reduce the number of PPVs and make them stacked with more fights and 3 title fights per card, or else reduce the cost of them. $50 seems plenty fair for what you get.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #16
Crashingwaves

Topps #@#@#@#@ the bed with this lic. Too many releases of the same crap.
Crashingwaves is offline   Reply With Quote