Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
joudenjouden

Default Topps Star Wars Sugarfree Gum (Mystery Product)

This was revealed today on Topps' Facebook:

49 cards (hopefully some gum) plus two hits per box, set to come out this year. My guess is that the base set is images of all the wrappers. This looks very very very exciting, and I cannot wait to hear more. Use this page to discuss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joudenjouden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
aggie4ever

Looks like it might be the next Topps online exclusive product? Seems to be the format they like using for those (set of cards + 2 hits; no packs). I think a lot will depend on the auto list, and whether or not the good autos are super short printed.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
jdhaugh11

Looks interesting, but you know the price will be $100 a box!
jdhaugh11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Dewman

Interesting...
Dewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
dd316

49 cards is a weird number, but again so is the 44 they've been using for the 3D sets.

I agree with aggie - the signer list is going to make or break this product.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #6
Nicnac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
49 cards is a weird number, but again so is the 44 they've been using for the 3D sets.

I agree with aggie - the signer list is going to make or break this product.
The 44 cards for the 3d sets is pure economics, something about the number of sets they can get out of a certain number of sheets.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
PoPCulture

Great news! I was just thinking the other day that my collection would never be complete until I got a Tim Rose auto on an image of an old wrapper!

Kidding aside...As a vintage collector, I would love sets like this offered without hits for like $20.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #8
Vargaman

Isn't Force Awakens 3D supposed to be out any week now? Or was it end of MArch?

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:57 PM   #9
jdandns

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post

Kidding aside...As a vintage collector, I would love sets like this offered without hits for like $20.
They surely will be, once the breakers pull the two hits and dump the sets. That seems to be the going rate on the 3D sets, sans chase, anyway. I'm still getting at least a few of every Star Wars boxed set, but it's good to know if I just want the base, and don't feel compelled to try my luck with the hits, it'll likely be available for the cost of a few packs of cards.

I like this idea. This will be a chance to add some new (old) Star Wars cards to the collection, even if reprints. Are they reprinting the wrapper set, or is it new images using that throwback style? Probably not a lot of people have even one of those vintage wrappers, let alone a full set. They were very fragile. There was a cereal promotion with Star Wars trading cards known as Ad-Pac, and those cards aren't cheap. That'd be a neat one for them to reissue, or issue new cards "in the style of". Even the more common Wonder Bread cards with modern gloss and parallels would make a great set. I'm not sure if it's the Ad-Pac set I'm thinking of, but I remember one vintage set that was a sticker but with a card underneath it, so that even if you used the sticker, as many did, you still had a card left over. Those must be rare, especially unpeeled.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
PoPCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
They surely will be, once the breakers pull the two hits and dump the sets.
Yea, I plan to pick up a few hit less boxes that will be dumped. My wish for cheaper factory sealed "hit less" boxes comes from having a sealed box of every Topps SW release since the beginning. I can't stop now so I'm tired of having to pay full retail for these boxes that most likely have $20 of hits in them haha. Like most folks, I could tell from the start that AOTC 3D was going to bomb so I waited out until 50% off. These next 2 online releases will be more popular imo so will probably not be able to hold off. Looking forward to more details on this...
Old 02-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #11
fastfood

My purchase will depend on who signs for this. I'll probably wait it out a bit and see what others are getting before I invest any money into it.
fastfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:58 PM   #12
moistpaper

Can't resist the vintage style cards...looks like I'll have to get these.
moistpaper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:27 AM   #13
jdandns

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Yea, I plan to pick up a few hit less boxes that will be dumped. My wish for cheaper factory sealed "hit less" boxes comes from having a sealed box of every Topps SW release since the beginning. I can't stop now so I'm tired of having to pay full retail for these boxes that most likely have $20 of hits in them haha. Like most folks, I could tell from the start that AOTC 3D was going to bomb so I waited out until 50% off. These next 2 online releases will be more popular imo so will probably not be able to hold off. Looking forward to more details on this...
Wow, the sealed box run is amazing, congrats!
Which one are you most tempted to open, if ever?
Old 02-24-2017, 03:39 AM   #14
jdandns

Get a load of this comprehensive overview of the original series, courtesy of Chris Morin. All of the original wrappers are shown toward the bottom, and should be good indicators of what the new series might look like, design-wise. Pretty unusual cantina character they selected for a wrapper, I think it's "Brainiac" who didn't even get a Kenner figure. I especially like the pair of floating Tarkin heads. Ah, the 70's!

Star Wars Topps Sugar Free Gum
Old 02-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #15
PoPCulture

Quote:
Wow, the sealed box run is amazing, congrats!
Which one are you most tempted to open, if ever?
Ooh good question! To be honest, I have never been tempted to open any. I guess the reason may be that I have a mini master of all sets as well (except the 2 High Tek releases- Those are mixed sets with one of each card across all patterns). The hits that are trapped inside do not torture me as I'm not a sketch collector and am happy with one auto from each cast member.
If I had to give an answer then I guess it would be the sugar free gum box because I do not have a set of the wrappers. I have a few of the main characters but, until now, I never considered this to be a card set so I was never motivated to chase it. I picked that box up in the early 90's pretty cheap and know that I will never find another at a price I would be willing to pay so that cuts out any urge to open.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
Dewman

Quote:
Get a load of this comprehensive overview of the original series, courtesy of Chris Morin. All of the original wrappers are shown toward the bottom, and should be good indicators of what the new series might look like, design-wise. Pretty unusual cantina character they selected for a wrapper, I think it's "Brainiac" who didn't even get a Kenner figure. I especially like the pair of floating Tarkin heads. Ah, the 70's!

Star Wars Topps Sugar Free Gum
Thanks for the link. I knew these existed but I have never researched them so I had never seen all the different designs or knew of the pack configuration. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Topps incorporates the vintage designs on the new cards.

Last edited by Dewman; 02-24-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #17
DarthRogahn

I noticed it says "49 cards"
IS this confirmed as the complete set or just 49 random cards with the set having more?

Hopefully a lot of people auto chase so I can land a base set for cheap!

Pretty cool idea by Topps
DarthRogahn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #18
Faulkenburg

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRogahn View Post
I noticed it says "49 cards"
IS this confirmed as the complete set or just 49 random cards with the set having more?

Hopefully a lot of people auto chase so I can land a base set for cheap!

Pretty cool idea by Topps
As close to confirm as we'll get until a sell sheet pops up.

Topps only lists number of cards on box sets. Regular boxes list packs because number of cards can vary due to relic or booklet cards taking up space.

The only thing that gives me pause is that the box mock-up doesn't resemble the 3D sets or regular full set boxes.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #19
Dewman

There is nothing in the photo to relay scale to determine size of the box. Is it only as big as a standard trading card? I originally thought it was larger but now realize it could be the size of 51 cards stacked up.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #20
Cavaliercards

Definitely am interested in more info.

Follow us on Twitter AND Instagram: @Cavaliercards
Cavaliercards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #21
HiltonL

Interesting (especially Chris Morin's site, thanks for the link! )

Is there really such pent-up demand for failed original tie-in products? Should I be stocking up on Reggie or Griffey bars LOL ?

I, like a lot of other casuals, am waiting more anxiously for 40th and Galactic Files Reborn. I'll probably pick up a hit-less set of this someday.
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #22
Faulkenburg

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
There is nothing in the photo to relay scale to determine size of the box. Is it only as big as a standard trading card? I originally thought it was larger but now realize it could be the size of 51 cards stacked up.
You're right that there is nothing to give it scale. I'm guessing (which is about all we can do) that it's not a stack of 51 cards given the ratio of its height to its length. It could be two stacks side by side, but even then the height doesn't seem to be enough.

Personally, I'm hoping for a unique packaging configuration. Normally I love the set boxes but since this is based on wrappers it would be odd for the product to contain loose cards.

Regardless, it's nice to see something new. So new in fact we are having a conversation about the packaging. 😀
Old 02-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #23
jdhaugh11

On a side note, has everyone noticed that many products have either dried up or have increased in price?
See what can happen when Topps gives a little breathing room between products!

Many cases that I just bought a few months ago for $400-$600 are now $100-$200 higher or can't find any left.
jdhaugh11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #24
jdandns

I think with Star Wars, as long as there is one good card that could be found in a sealed box, it'll eventually all sell out. The demand is there, especially considering today's print runs are still only a fraction of what they were in their 90's heyday.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:58 AM   #25
dukestr89

Same old Garbage. Sticker autographs from 2005 signing plastered on a 2017 card.
dukestr89 is offline   Reply With Quote