Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 04-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
cmixer

Default Convention Sketch pricelist

Best (most complete) sketch price list ive ever seen if you're budgeting for Art at a ComicCon:

http://bit.ly/ArtCost
cmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
digitalbc

I would love a more organized version of this, and this looks a little out of date.
digitalbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
DigsUT

Yea, quite a bit out of date $50 head sketches by JSC....not any time in the last couple years
D'Onta Foreman HOOK'EM!
DigsUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
cmixer

Still's the best I've seen of knowing whose highend & who's a bargain
Old 04-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
CMS1

This is from the facebook group I belong to. I don't use facebook at all and never even had an account before I found this group, but it is pretty helpful group as there are post all the times with prices from shows that are current.
CMS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #6
Spider-Fan

Sadly it does look like the vast majority of the information is from 2013 and 2014. Considering that was on the slope of the comic con pop culture explosion, I bet almost everything is out of date. The few I knew were outdated for sure.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
cmixer

It's weird to think that in 3 years commission prices have 'exploded' making this list OOD. If comics cool down, will commission prices become cheaper, or have those days gone?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
dannyman

Even though this list is nearly useless. Why don't we take this upon ourselves to make a thread where someone can update a master list and keep it current.

I have no problems providing info to help
dannyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:20 PM   #9
Stat Monsters

The prices indeed are out of date, but from an archival database standpoint, it's entertaining and interesting to review.

The prices tend to go up with the laws of supply and demand, with artists often charging what they want at different shows, bigger shows tend to be bigger dollars.

The sketch cover and whole CGC signature series adds premiums to pricing at times too. I think once an artist feels a "fan" is doing something that might monetize the effort (CGG grading tends to equate to flipping), they figure to get in on the revenue and charge a bit more.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:35 AM   #10
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat Monsters View Post
The prices indeed are out of date, but from an archival database standpoint, it's entertaining and interesting to review.

The prices tend to go up with the laws of supply and demand, with artists often charging what they want at different shows, bigger shows tend to be bigger dollars.

The sketch cover and whole CGC signature series adds premiums to pricing at times too. I think once an artist feels a "fan" is doing something that might monetize the effort (CGG grading tends to equate to flipping), they figure to get in on the revenue and charge a bit more.
This certainly is the perception. I'm curious to what extend it truly is reality.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:24 AM   #11
Stat Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
This certainly is the perception. I'm curious to what extend it truly is reality.
I think from the artist's POV, it seems like a "everyone's getting their piece of the pie" so why can't they enjoy a slice too?

Their perspective, mainly from autographs more so than sketch covers is... a person is willing to pay CGC an extra fee above and beyond a grading fee for the "signature series" and is willing to pay that extra fee to CGC, and they have no problems complaining about CGC's fee, so why would or should that same person complain about paying the artist a fee?

Regardless of if a person is a collector or reseller, the fees with CGC exists and are paid, so any fee an artist feels like charging, even if it's a premium (like how you see some creators like Michael Golden, Marv Wolfman, Neal Adams, Chris Claremont, etc.) their involvement in integral to the CGC signature series process, so why shouldn't they get compensated.

I tend to agree with the creator (artist/writer) side of charging, with the caveat being, if the person has the comic book inscribed with a dedication / personalization which tends to prove true fandom, and also not shove duplicates (unique multiples are okay in my book), then the signature should or could be free, or at least as J. Scott Campbell does "the 1st one" (after all, if you're a true fan, just getting to meet the person and getting one autograph should be satisfactory)
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #12
cmixer

Thanks for sharing John --

We would love to pick your brain from time-to-time.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #13
Spider-Fan

I don't know if anybody was planning on trying to set up a list, but I can provide the following posted prices (table sign) from John Timms at Baltimore Comic Con this past weekend:

Head Sketch: $80
Bust: $180
Full Figure: $350
Full Figure (color): $500
Witnessed Signature: $5

I'm curious if his prices will be the same for NYCC. I know a lot of artists increase their prices for shows like SDCC and NYCC to compensate for the added costs on their end.

I thought his prices were very reasonable. The head sketches I got were terrific, and he was really a very gracious guy.