Blowout Cards Forums
2017 Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
BlowoutBuzz
Member
 
BlowoutBuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 6,529
Default First Buzz: 2017 Topps Star Wars Masterwork trading cards

First Buzz: 2017 Topps Star Wars Masterwork trading cards >> BlowoutBuzz.com #collect #starwars

__________________
www.blowoutbuzz.com
>>><<<
Got something cool or interesting that might be worth a story? Know someone whose collection could be profiled? Send me a DM.
BlowoutBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
Vargaman
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 3,214
Default

At least no grand promises this time about film used relics, back to the pens we go!

Info already contradicts itself. Says each pack has 1 parallel but below says you get 2 blues. Unless they mean across the 4 packs.

No word if single autos are all on-card or not . Seems to be the signers from the attendees at SW Celebration in Orlando, makes sense.
  • Aug 9th release, so no TLJ images
  • Double the base cards from 50 to 100
  • Still 25 SPs
  • Same base/SP parallel levels (99, 50, 25, 1)
  • Still 3 insert sets (likely 10-cards ea, same parallels as before (no acetate like MW1 had though) )
  • Film STRIPS now, not just cels
  • Animation cels (better than just stamps, wonder what they'll all cover (just droids/ewoks or Clone Wars too?)
  • Still medallions
  • Alan Tudyk confirmed! Only new signer shown so far

Each box will include four five-card packs (a mini box) with three base cards, one parallel and one hit — a mix of autographs, film strip cards, animation cels, medallion cards and sketches. … For the base cards, it’s a larger 100-card set this time with short-prints to be found and 72-point stock used. Parallels will be found with Blue (two per pack), Green (/99), Purple (/50), Gold (/25) and 1/1 Red and printing plates. There also will be 25 short-printed character cards. Adding to the chase are three insert sets — Hall of Heroes, Adventures of R2-D2 and Evolution of the Rebel Alliance. These will have Rainbow Foil, Canvas, Wood, Metal, Gold-tinted Metal and printing plate parallels.More than 40 signers will be found in this one from throughout the franchise’s universe with a number of parallels — Rainbow (/50), Canvas (/25), Wood (/10), Silver Framed (/10 or less) and 1/1 Gold Framed. There also will be autographed pen Relics using tips of pens used to sign the cards. … There will be double and triple auto cards along with quad booklets, parallels of sketch cards and more.
__________________
Topps STAR WARS: Mikeinator1st ; BUNT & HUDDLE: Mikeinator ; KICK: Mikeinator360

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127

Last edited by Vargaman; 05-09-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Brobocop
Member
 
Brobocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 5,949
Default

Now this is what I'm talking about. This looks like it will be a really good set judging by these first few photos. Cannot beat on-card autos of some of the bigger names in the franchise.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:46 PM   #4
Kyle Babbitt
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 206
Default

I'm really hoping they get Hayden for this set.

Sarah Michelle is new, same with K-2SO from Rogue One.
Kyle Babbitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
Vargaman
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 3,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Babbitt View Post
I'm really hoping they get Hayden for this set.

Sarah Michelle is new, same with K-2SO from Rogue One.
Oh yeah, forgot about her haha.

I'm a little concerned not seeing Driver, Hamill, Ford, Fisher, or Baker. Driver is the only person alive who wasn't at Celebration, if that is where they knocked out all these on-card sigs. Maybe we can even get on-card multi-autos? (prolly not )

Boyega has sticker autos for sure, but hopefully TOPPS will put more info out soon. I already asked on Facebook about all living actors being on card autos.

I just don't get why they released it ahead of TLJ instead of waiting so we can have more new characters. TFA was already out for MW2 so Rogue One is the only new content. They're really milking this cow for all it's worth
__________________
Topps STAR WARS: Mikeinator1st ; BUNT & HUDDLE: Mikeinator ; KICK: Mikeinator360

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
richo
Member
 
richo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,719
Default

Am almost certainly out on this one. With the new development of dropping hundreds of cases in to the European Outlet, this will almost certainly follow the same route. The volume of base cards combined with the parallels tells me it's a big run whilst SW stays hot. 40th was a main cast signer roughly every 10 cases, the odds are just getting too long.
richo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
DrGhostbuster
Member
 
DrGhostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
[*] Animation cels (better than just stamps, wonder what they'll all cover (just droids/ewoks or Clone Wars too?)
If these are actual original cels, (Like The Real Ghostbusters cel cards from the Cryptozoic set) then Droids and Ewoks or even the Boba Fett Christmas special segment would be your only option. If they are manufactured cels, which is what I assume they would be, everything is an option because they can just hit the print button with ease.
__________________
Looking for Cryptozoic GHOSTBUSTERS Sketches & Printing Plates!
DrGhostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
Vargaman
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 3,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGhostbuster View Post
If these are actual original cels, (Like The Real Ghostbusters cel cards from the Cryptozoic set) then Droids and Ewoks or even the Boba Fett Christmas special segment would be your only option. If they are manufactured cels, which is what I assume they would be, everything is an option because they can just hit the print button with ease.
I meant the 2D Clone Wars shorts not the 3D show, weren't those via cels? Idk much about animation, but I assume all 2D usually, but maybe not nowadays.
__________________
Topps STAR WARS: Mikeinator1st ; BUNT & HUDDLE: Mikeinator ; KICK: Mikeinator360

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #9
Dewman
Member
 
Dewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,321
Default

Man, I was really hoping they were skipping Masterwork this year.

The full auto list will probably be everyone Topps had signing at Celebration. I would expect anyone not at Celebration that they are including in the set to be a sticker auto.

I will probably be in for 2 cases like I was for the last 2 releases.

At least the design is a departure from the last 2 sets. I'm not sure if I'm liking all the white on the auto cards.
Dewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #10
Vargaman
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 3,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post

I will probably be in for 2 cases like I was for the last 2 releases.
This is why nothing changes lol. So many people buying in based on next to nothing.

Very little new content, OVER 40 signers, no sketch guarantee, and double the number of base cards are all big negatives.

I want this to be awesome like MW1, but if all they add are 2 new signers and a few R1 cards, that's not enough to justify a full set at a high price point.

Show me a checklist and I'll buy a box.
__________________
Topps STAR WARS: Mikeinator1st ; BUNT & HUDDLE: Mikeinator ; KICK: Mikeinator360

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #11
kyle1707
Member
 
kyle1707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,059
Default

If they get it back to high end artists doing high sketches..

If you get 8-9 sketches per case and not 1-2

This product will be very good again at cost of 150-160

Not a hard issue... Make it like masterworks 1... And not the disaster that was masterworks 2
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #12
Vargaman
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 3,214
Default

I'm also concerned here since JTTLJ is 9/1 release and this is listed as 8/9. Why wasn't this announced earlier? Three months from release and no pricing yet? Something isn't right...

I'd also be willing to bet on a High Tek 3 sneaking in before/after TLJ Series 1, before the end of 2017.

What we really need are TFA 3D WV online, with sketches, 2,000 boxes. They've been talking about it coming out this year since November of last year but never a set date on it.
__________________
Topps STAR WARS: Mikeinator1st ; BUNT & HUDDLE: Mikeinator ; KICK: Mikeinator360

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #13
Vargaman
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 3,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
I'm also concerned here since JTTLJ is 9/1 release and this is listed as 8/9. Why wasn't this announced earlier? Three months from release and no pricing yet? Something isn't right...

I'd also be willing to bet on a High Tek 3 sneaking in before/after TLJ Series 1, before the end of 2017.

What we really need are TFA 3D WV online, with sketches, 2,000 boxes. They've been talking about it coming out this year since November of last year but never a set date on it.
Now it says Nov 8th lol.
__________________
Topps STAR WARS: Mikeinator1st ; BUNT & HUDDLE: Mikeinator ; KICK: Mikeinator360

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #14
BlueForTheVirus
Member
 
BlueForTheVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 241
Default

What about "parallels of sketch cards"? What are we supposed to make of that? Dupe sketches with different borders?
BlueForTheVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #15
Vargaman
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 3,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueForTheVirus View Post
What about "parallels of sketch cards"? What are we supposed to make of that? Dupe sketches with different borders?
Like Wood, or in MW2 some had a different border color so instead of like grey it'd be red or something. Just a cheap gimmick on the coloring, but wood were awesome.
__________________
Topps STAR WARS: Mikeinator1st ; BUNT & HUDDLE: Mikeinator ; KICK: Mikeinator360

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #16
BlueForTheVirus
Member
 
BlueForTheVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
Like Wood, or in MW2 some had a different border color so instead of like grey it'd be red or something. Just a cheap gimmick on the coloring, but wood were awesome.
Okay, good. That sounds way better than what I was thinking.
BlueForTheVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #17
BlowoutBuzz
Member
 
BlowoutBuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 6,529
Default

Topps corrected some conflicting info on release date. Star Wars: Droids and Star Wars: Ewoks will be the sources of animation cels.
__________________
www.blowoutbuzz.com
>>><<<
Got something cool or interesting that might be worth a story? Know someone whose collection could be profiled? Send me a DM.

Last edited by BlowoutBuzz; 05-09-2017 at 03:17 PM.
BlowoutBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:53 PM   #18
xtwinstarx
Member
 
xtwinstarx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 258
Default

I see a Temuera Morrison (Jango Fett) auto on that page, this will be his first SW Topps Auto that I'm aware of.
xtwinstarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #19
PoPCulture
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Keystone heights, FL
Posts: 2,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowoutBuzz View Post
Topps corrected some conflicting info on release date. Star Wars: Droids and Star Wars: Ewoks will be the sources of animation cels.
I remember very fondly going through many boxes of Ewoks animation cels that were dropped off by Lucasfilm into the collector track room at Celebration 2. Prior to the convention they were trying to clear space in the Lucasfilm archives so instead of tossing these they sent them to C2 to give away. They had been picked through by the Collector track hosts but there were still lots of good cels to be found. Looking at a few of the ones in my collection it looks like it will be hard to fit most whole characters onto a trading card but I love the idea.
__________________
Florida Gators 2017 NCAA Baseball National Champions
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #20
Dewman
Member
 
Dewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
I remember very fondly going through many boxes of Ewoks animation cels that were dropped off by Lucasfilm into the collector track room at Celebration 2. Prior to the convention they were trying to clear space in the Lucasfilm archives so instead of tossing these they sent them to C2 to give away. They had been picked through by the Collector track hosts but there were still lots of good cels to be found. Looking at a few of the ones in my collection it looks like it will be hard to fit most whole characters onto a trading card but I love the idea.
I received a couple cels along with my Star Wars fan club membership materials one year, quite a few years ago. Nothing spectacular, but it was a cool bonus.
Dewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #21
DrGhostbuster
Member
 
DrGhostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,031
Default

I have about 300-400 The Real Ghostbusters full animation cells in my collection and I would say the majority of those would not fit on a trading card well. But Cryptozoic did a great job of making cel cards utilizing cells where characters are seen at more of a distance.

I am rusty on my traditional hand drawn animation, so someone correct me if I am wrong, But I believe most cartoons of the era were drawn at 12 cells for a second of animation. So if Topps got there hands on stacks of numerical cells of say C-3PO walking across the screen from a distance, a simple 10 second scene would net Topps 120 technically different but similar animation cel cards.
__________________
Looking for Cryptozoic GHOSTBUSTERS Sketches & Printing Plates!
DrGhostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #22
Dewman
Member
 
Dewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,321
Default

I hope the get some Droids cels and it's not all Ewoks. To get a 3PO or R2 would be pretty cool. It would be really awesome to get cels from the Holiday Special Boba Fett cartoon.
Dewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #23
Vargaman
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 3,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGhostbuster View Post
I have about 300-400 The Real Ghostbusters full animation cells in my collection and I would say the majority of those would not fit on a trading card well. But Cryptozoic did a great job of making cel cards utilizing cells where characters are seen at more of a distance.

I am rusty on my traditional hand drawn animation, so someone correct me if I am wrong, But I believe most cartoons of the era were drawn at 12 cells for a second of animation. So if Topps got there hands on stacks of numerical cells of say C-3PO walking across the screen from a distance, a simple 10 second scene would net Topps 120 technically different but similar animation cel cards.
I know it's apples to oranges when you consider the fan bases, but where did the Ghostbuster cels settle price wise?

Like what's a main character going for compared to a random civilian or ghost?

It'll also depend if topps numbers these cels, but that's be hard to do since they should all be 1/1, but they could have a ton for different characters.
__________________
Topps STAR WARS: Mikeinator1st ; BUNT & HUDDLE: Mikeinator ; KICK: Mikeinator360

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #24
jamesr
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 496
Default

I know it's a minor thing, but I quite like the fact that some autos are done landscape rather than portrait.
jamesr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #25
DrGhostbuster
Member
 
DrGhostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
I know it's apples to oranges when you consider the fan bases, but where did the Ghostbuster cels settle price wise?

Like what's a main character going for compared to a random civilian or ghost?

It'll also depend if topps numbers these cels, but that's be hard to do since they should all be 1/1, but they could have a ton for different characters.
You are right, it is more apple to oranges, but even if it was apples to apples, The Real Ghostbusters had 140 episodes + 33 Slimer Episodes of animation cels to acquire from. Droids had 13 episodes and Ewoks had 35 episodes made. So even if equal popularity, Star Wars animation cels are harder to come by just by the numbers. If you are going to talk cartoon popularity and not subject matter, The Real Ghostbusters was a much better, more beloved cartoon then Ewoks and Droids, and the episode numbers prove that. But if you are going to talk subject matter, in the famous words of Stephanie Tanner from Full House, "Well Duhh" Ghostbusters can not compete with the popularity of Star Wars. I would imagine most collectors that have bought cels, bought them because they were Star Wars, not because they were Droids or Ewoks. But that is just my perception and opinion.

I did most of my acquiring of animation cels years ago before "nostalgia" became a fad. But still to this day, RGB animation cels of random characters or non recognizable ghosts go dirt cheap, while main characters close up cels go for way more. But not typically that expensive.

I bought this animation cel 10+ years ago on eBay. It was my dream animation cel to acquire. I always wanted a cel of the spirit Ghostbusters in there movie tan suits. I patiently waited for years for one to pop up on eBay.
It finally did, my max bid was north of $500 and I was willing to go higher if need be, I was hell bent on winning it. I ended up winning it for $35 bucks. If the same cel showed up on eBay today, I don't believe it would be the same case.

__________________
Looking for Cryptozoic GHOSTBUSTERS Sketches & Printing Plates!
DrGhostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.