Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction netflix add

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
exitmusicblue

Default (ESPN) Durant to take $9M less than max contract to keep Warriors' core intact

I love my guy. Big implications for luxury tax.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...state-warriors
exitmusicblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
Brobocop

Good on Durant, but they should be willing to go into the luxury tax I think. Barring an injury, who can beat them this year in a seven game series? Break open the wallet, you don't get that many chances to win like this as a team owner.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
exitmusicblue

They'll def land in lux tax territory anyways, just will end up saving our aggressive ownership tens of millions thanks to this move. : )

Also sends a message to Klay and Dray. Can only lead (here in a matter of sacrifice) by example.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:01 PM   #4
packman80

They are going to be paying more then 500 million in luxury tax over the next 4 years.
packman80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
rookies

I feel like he is basically saying I dont think IM good enough to win with 4 all stars so I need to secure iggy and bench? Im so confused why he would do this very odd.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:21 PM   #6
pgisback

He's soft. Needs an all star team around him to win.
pgisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
cowboyzqna

Nice to see a player like Durant willing to take way less than he could get! This move is about Championships to him. Sets an awesome example to the rest of the squad.

This really helps the team... Golden States owners "could" absorb the luxury tax... but his teamates will see that he left 10 mill on the table. They will respect that and hopefully others sign friendly deals.

I hope this core runs the court for the next 5 years

Good stuff!

cowboyzqna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #8
Rip67vdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgisback View Post
He's soft. Needs an all star team around him to win.
Such a lame ass comment. Still salty from the Finals?
Rip67vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:42 PM   #9
pgisback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip67vdub View Post
Such a lame ass comment. Still salty from the Finals?
Nope, just like competitors. Most competitors find what Kevin Durant did to be incredibly soft. And he's continuing being soft by taking less money to ensure he doesn't have to actually compete for championships.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:52 PM   #10
Brobocop

Quote:
Nope, just like competitors. Most competitors find what Kevin Durant did to be incredibly soft. And he's continuing being soft by taking less money to ensure he doesn't have to actually compete for championships.
Maybe he likes who he plays for, who plays with, and wants to keep those guys around. He has a Nike deal which probably pays more than his NBA salary. Guys like Tom Brady do this to keep a team together or help sign better players. Nothing wrong with this at all and I'm a Cavs fan. People can hate the Warriors, but they drafted incredibly well while other teams haven't. Durant went to the best place to play and win. We'd all do that in our careers if given the opportunity.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:00 PM   #11
pgisback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
Maybe he likes who he plays for, who plays with, and wants to keep those guys around. He has a Nike deal which probably pays more than his NBA salary. Guys like Tom Brady do this to keep a team together or help sign better players. Nothing wrong with this at all and I'm a Cavs fan. People can hate the Warriors, but they drafted incredibly well while other teams haven't. Durant went to the best place to play and win. We'd all do that in our careers if given the opportunity.
Only acceptable time to take a pay cut is when you're an old veteran. He's soft. There's no way around it. He couldn't beat Lebron, couldn't beat the Warriors, so he just joins them. Softer than puddin.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #12
Trainerkev
Banned

Bad for the NBA.

In the most talented sports league in the world with the most talented player pool of any single sport, this team has no competition.

This year in the NBA will have a historic amount of teams with record setting loss totals because they are all sacrificing today for tomorrow because they can't compete with this team.

Say what you want about KD being a great guy for taking less. He left OKC high and dry with absolutely nothing in return. He's good but his team's accomplishments as a member of the Warriors do not strengthen his legacy.

The regular season will be unwatchable because most teams will know they are benefitted more by losing to teams they can and should beat and increasing their likelihood for a high draft pick than actually competing and ending up a sacrificial lamb for the Warriors.

This is the greatest team in NBA history, and its bad for the NBA.

Why watch when you already know whats going to happen?

Why compete if you can't win?

Why have a salary cap if players are going to play for less than they are worth?
Trainerkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #13
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainerkev View Post
Bad for the NBA.

In the most talented sports league in the world with the most talented player pool of any single sport, this team has no competition.

This year in the NBA will have a historic amount of teams with record setting loss totals because they are all sacrificing today for tomorrow because they can't compete with this team.

Say what you want about KD being a great guy for taking less. He left OKC high and dry with absolutely nothing in return. He's good but his team's accomplishments as a member of the Warriors do not strengthen his legacy.

The regular season will be unwatchable because most teams will know they are benefitted more by losing to teams they can and should beat and increasing their likelihood for a high draft pick than actually competing and ending up a sacrificial lamb for the Warriors.

Why have a salary cap if players are going to play for less than they are worth?
I'm sorry but I feel zero sympathy for the OKC Thunder. They left Seattle high and dry with nothing in return. I rooted against LeBron when he played Dallas his first year in Miami. After that, I rooted for him against OKC. Living in Cleveland, seeing the Ravens win two Super Bowls is painful. I was happy that Seattle was spared from that.

Also, Golden State isn't going to last forever. Teams will catch up to them sooner than we think. Durant, Curry, Thompson, and Green aren't going to stay young forever.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:09 PM   #14
exitmusicblue

Equal MJ's dynasty run or bust...

That is the legacy to aim for.

Damn it feels good to be a champion.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:13 PM   #15
exoticprince

It's also in Nike's best interest to ensure the best player on the best team remains from Nike, helping to keep any momentum from under armour (when the best player on the best team was from under armour). Whether Cavs or Warriors continue to win the best player on the winning team will always be from Nike. They're definitely keeping it that way and will make it up to KD.
exoticprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:13 PM   #16
pgisback

Quote:
Bad for the NBA.

100% accurate. The biggest thing he did with that move was eliminate any competition.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:15 PM   #17
spurs50fan

We can merge the Iggy, KD and Steph threads into the FA thread no?
spurs50fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:27 PM   #18
rhigh2390

Quote:
100% accurate. The biggest thing he did with that move was eliminate any competition.
Your bitterness and jealousy is fun to read
rhigh2390 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #19
exitmusicblue

Quote:
Only acceptable time to take a pay cut is when you're an old veteran. He's soft. There's no way around it. He couldn't beat Lebron, couldn't beat the Warriors, so he just joins them. Softer than puddin.
Dogmatic dummy and sore losah, as always.

The Big Four? LeBron James says he’d take a pay cut to make it happen - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ake-it-happen/

Also, as if this trail too hadn't already been blazed by our 3-for-8 deposed king...

LeBron James' "Pay Cut" and How to Destroy a Legacy -
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...stroy-a-legacy

Last edited by exitmusicblue; 07-03-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:39 PM   #20
Starman101

Quote:
Bad for the NBA.

Agree 100%

This is why I'm not gonna be watching many regular season games next season.

It really a complete waste of time when it's all been stacked in GS's favor to repeat as "champions"

I'm gonna be watching a lot more NHL than NBA this season

Last edited by Starman101; 07-03-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Starman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:42 PM   #21
jsmnry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhigh2390 View Post
This⬆
jsmnry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #22
Kelper7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #23
Cervantes

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitmusicblue View Post
Equal MJ's dynasty run or bust...

That is the legacy to aim for.

Damn it feels good to be a champion.
Who, Durant or the whole team?

Old 07-03-2017, 11:45 PM   #24
pgisback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhigh2390 View Post
You guys defending one of the softest moves in the history of sports is fun to read

You should change your avatar, that dude was not soft.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:48 PM   #25
bdoody42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelper7 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So true. Some people just live to ruin it for others. I'm sure he cares what the trolls say. And I do think it was soft for him to join GS. Just like Lebron forming super teams. If he's happy to stay go for it. Why would he go?