Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #5651
Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjforce View Post
I feel like lately we've been getting first 44 minute Luka:

And then crunch time Luka:

Nobody get your feelings hurt, he's still doing great, but that closing ability seems like it still needs to be developed.

Indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2020, 07:29 PM   #5652
Sribb43

God damn Mavs can’t make FT’s, Luka included. Another close game
Mavs piss away
Sribb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:34 PM   #5653
KhalDrogo

Less dumb threes, more made FTs. That’s all I ask.

He and the Mavs will develop success in clutch time.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:37 PM   #5654
luluNTraed

I feel for Luka, he does a great job at involving his teammates in the final stages but they just don't hit the shots, which then puts a lot of pressure on his own shot.

Also, am I the only person who thinks this is cheap..
Luka Galactic BGS 10 Black Label
luluNTraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:41 PM   #5655
tjforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
Less dumb threes, more made FTs. That’s all I ask.

He and the Mavs will develop success in clutch time.
Ya... not sweating it too much.

This guy has set the bar so high at age 20 that every time he doesn't play absolute hero ball it seems like a disappointment.

The only folks really getting off on this one way or the other are probably the ones that thought the Cleveland Browns would be in the Super Bowl this year. Luka's not going to be perfect every game and he won't single handedly carry the Mavs to the Finals this year, and that's okay.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #5656
tjforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by luluNTraed View Post
I feel for Luka, he does a great job at involving his teammates in the final stages but they just don't hit the shots, which then puts a lot of pressure on his own shot.

Also, am I the only person who thinks this is cheap..
Luka Galactic BGS 10 Black Label
Ahh, the old 'teammates fault' narrative.

Not like Luka didn't shoot 2-10 from 3 and 1-5 from the line today.

I think they can all take the blame for that 4th quarter, and the Jazz can take the credit.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #5657
theLUCKYshow

I dont think Dallas would mind matching up with Utah in the playoffs, even after the loss. I just dont think Dallas fears them, Luka goes right at Gobert, and Gobert is stretched out so far on defense he has to exert a ton of energy and itll wear on him in a 7 game series. Today Gobert did everything, and he and Donovan played great down the stretch, Doncic didnt, and Dallas gave the game away. Dont know whats up with Lukas ft shooting this past week but its gotta be mental, f'n yips, and probably cost them the game today. I will say those Utah fans are amazing. Remind me of the good ol days for my Kings and how loud Arco Arena used to get. Incredible home court for Utah.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #5658
PKIPP

Was a great game. Luka is a special player (obvious statement of the night). I don't think it was as much he was off down the stretch as much as it was the Jazz just playing great defense. He can obviously be better. I'm a big fan. Let's not crap on the kid for a loss against one of the league's top teams.

Follow me on IG: Cardboard_vault
PKIPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #5659
luluNTraed

Quote:

I think they can all take the blame for that 4th quarter, and the Jazz can take the credit.
Ahh the old blame Luka for everything narrative. Plenty of other players on the team that could win the game for them but alas we just want to put the 20yo down every chance we get
Old 01-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #5660
tjforce

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luluNTraed View Post
Ahh the old blame Luka for everything narrative. Plenty of other players on the team that could win the game for them but alas we just want to put the 20yo down every chance we get
I think you should read my post again.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #5661
ThoseBackPages

FITE!!!!!!
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:07 PM   #5662
luluNTraed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
FITE!!!!!!
I can highlight words too!
Old 01-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #5663
KhalDrogo

Team clamp down on Luka at the end of games. More double teams. I don’t find myself questioning his decision making too often down the stretch. When he should pass, he usually does. When he should drive, he usually does. When he should shoot the three, he usually does. Of course, some dummies think the right play is to take the double team contested 27 foot three every possession.

Mavs biggest problem IMO is lack of vets who have been on winning teams before. Of the top of my head, I think Curry and Boban are the only two guys on the team who have even been to the playoffs?
Old 01-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #5664
luluNTraed

Can't wait for Cauley-Stein to play as it really looked like Luka was missing a lob partner at times during that game.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:14 PM   #5665
Turborush

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLUCKYshow View Post
I dont think Dallas would mind matching up with Utah in the playoffs, even after the loss. I just dont think Dallas fears them, Luka goes right at Gobert, and Gobert is stretched out so far on defense he has to exert a ton of energy and itll wear on him in a 7 game series. Today Gobert did everything, and he and Donovan played great down the stretch, Doncic didnt, and Dallas gave the game away. Dont know whats up with Lukas ft shooting this past week but its gotta be mental, f'n yips, and probably cost them the game today. I will say those Utah fans are amazing. Remind me of the good ol days for my Kings and how loud Arco Arena used to get. Incredible home court for Utah.

I was at the game tonight. So fun to watch live. First Jazz game I have been too in many years. It got so loud at times it hurt my ears. Crazy loud.
Turborush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:41 PM   #5666
RogerGodahell
Banned

I'm interested to see how Willie Cauley-Stein will do with the Mavs. He looks like he will be a good pick and roll man and decent defender in the paint.
RogerGodahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:42 PM   #5667
KhalDrogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerGodahell View Post
I'm interested to see how Willie Cauley-Stein will do with the Mavs. He looks like he will be a good pick and roll man and decent defender in the paint.
I just hope him finally being on a winning team energizes him. Definitely has not reached his potential in the league. Although maybe this is his potential.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:51 PM   #5668
theLUCKYshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborush View Post
I was at the game tonight. So fun to watch live. First Jazz game I have been too in many years. It got so loud at times it hurt my ears. Crazy loud.
Thats awesome man!

Doncician?

Old 01-25-2020, 09:54 PM   #5669
Spacemanspif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
I just hope him finally being on a winning team energizes him. Definitely has not reached his potential in the league. Although maybe this is his potential.
As a warriors fan / Kings somewhat fan, good luck. With the Powell injury I get the trade though
Spacemanspif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:01 PM   #5670
RogerGodahell
Banned

It was a low risk trade. They only gave up a second round pick for WCS. Hopefully they have a bigger trade on the horizon before the deadline. They've been inquiring with the Thunder about Danilo Gallinari. That would be a nice boost to their offense. He's averaging 19 points and 6 boards per game.
RogerGodahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:11 PM   #5671
the27guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLUCKYshow View Post

As a Jazz fan, I don’t want to see the Mavs in the first round. But then again, I’m not sure who I do want to see. The west, as per the usual, is just going to be a gauntlet to get to the finals. And although I think the two LA teams are each most likely to get there, I think teams like Utah, Dallas and others are going to be a tough out.

Gobert against the teams that can go 5 out is becoming more and more interesting. I think what you’ve said above is exactly right. It takes a lot of energy from him. There’s no question. There’s also no question that he’s better at guarding the perimeter than the average fan understands. Bill Simmons talked about how bad Gobert was on the perimeter so many times up until last year when the jazz blew out the Celtics twice. He use to say, “all you need is five shooters, and the Jazz have to take Gobert off the court”. I’m not sure if it was ever true, but it’s not anymore. That last play is exactly what’s happened a ton this year. Guy on the perimeter gets past Rudy but the odds of him scoring are still so low. Rudy is so valuable defensively.

But I think you’re right about energy. Playing 40 minutes a night in a seven game series doing all that he has to do on defense would just be a killer. On the other side of the ball though, most five out lineups are really going to struggle keeping Gobert out of the paint and off the offensive glass. And the Jazz FINALLY have enough shooting, that Gobert is going to be able to get those lobs and offensive glass.

Today was one of the better games of the year. Lots of lead changes. Drama for 48 minutes. It’s gonna be cool watching these teams play over the next few regular season matchups. And I think if they do play in the playoffs, we may get some more really fun games. Two well coached teams. Carlisle has been the best coach in the league for over a decade. Lots of star talent and guys that know their roles.

PS - Luka is legitimately terrifying.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:31 AM   #5672
MackandMangos

Bought the lot of these for 175$ back in December. The seller was giving me the run around and didnt think I'd get them. Sure enough, they finally arrived!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MackandMangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:49 AM   #5673
theLUCKYshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by the27guy View Post
As a Jazz fan, I don’t want to see the Mavs in the first round. But then again, I’m not sure who I do want to see. The west, as per the usual, is just going to be a gauntlet to get to the finals. And although I think the two LA teams are each most likely to get there, I think teams like Utah, Dallas and others are going to be a tough out.

Gobert against the teams that can go 5 out is becoming more and more interesting. I think what you’ve said above is exactly right. It takes a lot of energy from him. There’s no question. There’s also no question that he’s better at guarding the perimeter than the average fan understands. Bill Simmons talked about how bad Gobert was on the perimeter so many times up until last year when the jazz blew out the Celtics twice. He use to say, “all you need is five shooters, and the Jazz have to take Gobert off the court”. I’m not sure if it was ever true, but it’s not anymore. That last play is exactly what’s happened a ton this year. Guy on the perimeter gets past Rudy but the odds of him scoring are still so low. Rudy is so valuable defensively.

But I think you’re right about energy. Playing 40 minutes a night in a seven game series doing all that he has to do on defense would just be a killer. On the other side of the ball though, most five out lineups are really going to struggle keeping Gobert out of the paint and off the offensive glass. And the Jazz FINALLY have enough shooting, that Gobert is going to be able to get those lobs and offensive glass.

Today was one of the better games of the year. Lots of lead changes. Drama for 48 minutes. It’s gonna be cool watching these teams play over the next few regular season matchups. And I think if they do play in the playoffs, we may get some more really fun games. Two well coached teams. Carlisle has been the best coach in the league for over a decade. Lots of star talent and guys that know their roles.

PS - Luka is legitimately terrifying.
Well said Adam. And I agree with you about Gobert guarding on the perimeter. He covers players tightly on the perimeter, and if/when he gets beat, he can/will recover as good as anyone like we saw in the 4th against Delon Wright who COMPLETELY turned him around and he still blocked the layup. Him and DM and co are fun to watch on both ends of the floor... havent seen too many Utah games this year. I hope you guys can catch those damn Lakers.

The 1st round for 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5 is going to be a dogfight in the West, and pure gold for NBA fans. Actually same story in the East. Whichever team nabs the 2nd seed in both conferences is going to subconsiously take a deep sigh of relief.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:18 AM   #5674
pejc300

Is Lukamania over? Is this like Jeremy Lin where the ship has sailed never to return?
pejc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:32 AM   #5675
Ewing8888

His performance has been pretty weak the last couple games in crunch time. He passed on the 3 pointer against the Clippers and really wasn't looking comfortable yesterday squaring up against Goebert. He was also 1 for 5 from the line and was pretty passive taking it to the basket the 2H. Luka also pretty much disappeared the last 2 minutes of the game while Donovan Mitchell was ballin. He's a still unbelievable player but I view him more as a James Harden than someone like Lebron. IMO, his prices have peaked this season and the urgency to pick up his cards has been replaced by Zion mania.