Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #1
GOLDPRIZM

Default 1997-98 Jordan PMG Green 006/100

https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/items/1912214

Heres the preview of the auction,

PSA has referenced some irregular wear to the right edge as cause for the authentic assessment. We attest that this card is neither trimmed nor recolored and while we do see a higher degree of wear to the right edge, we consider this a condition flaw, not an alteration

Last edited by GOLDPRIZM; 02-09-2019 at 02:40 PM.
GOLDPRIZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
KhalDrogo

From your link.

Quote:
PSA has referenced some irregular wear to the right edge as cause for the authentic assessment.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Soleternity
Inactive Account

I'm liking PSA's new zoom tool. Can see all the imperfections with clarity.

This card looks like it would've graded PSA 4 or 5 if it had gotten a numerical grade. The edges and corners look a tad worse than my PMG Red, which graded PSA 5 in September 2018 (after having been graded BGS 8 previously :\). PSA is much tougher on PMGs.

We talked about this on our last podcast, so I won't rehash it fully here, but there is a chance that some riskier bidders will try and get this card at a steal because of the "altered" tag and then turn around and submit it to BGS. After having seen the card, it is plausible that BGS's experts could come to a different conclusion about whether the card was altered. In fact, it would be quite the power move for BGS to "correct" PSA's error and reintroduce this card to the market with a numerical score, assuming that PSA graded it out of an abundance of caution and mistakenly erred on the side of labeling the card as altered when in fact it isn't.

Edit: Not sure I see any irregular wear on the right edge. But I'm glad PWCC and PSA have explained the reason for the alteration designation. Bidder beware.

Last edited by Soleternity; 02-09-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Soleternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
GOLDPRIZM

ahh missed that, thank you khaldrogo
Old 02-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
KhalDrogo

I don't think it's worth crossing this to BGS for a numerical grade. Would be nice to see a better explanation of why PSA thinks its altered, just for my own curiosity. It's quite clearly not trimmed.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
Soleternity
Inactive Account

PWCC's opinion on the "altered" tag:

Quote:
PSA has referenced some irregular wear to the right edge as cause for the authentic assessment. We attest that this card is neither trimmed nor recolored and while we do see a higher degree of wear to the right edge, we consider this a condition flaw, not an alteration.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
Soleternity
Inactive Account

It's worth posting the full PWCC write up.

Quote:
Holy Grail of Modern Trading Cards - Incredible

Stop the presses! Feast your eyes upon this once in a life time offering, the grand-daddy of all parallels, the '97 Metal Universe PMG Green Michael Jordan. If you're lucky you might see this card once in your life, let alone have the chance to acquire it. Even the most novice of Michael Jordan investors understands the extreme rarity and fragility of this card. The Precious Metal Gems were available as foil base parallels in the '97-98 Metal Universe Basketball production. Limited to 100 total copies per player, the first ten cards are green and the final 90 are red. Given their rarity and the fact that these cards are bank-vault worthy, the Michael Jordan red parallels don't surface often and the green parallels are almost mythical.

The offered #6 of 10 example has been recently slabbed by PSA, along with the other PMG Greens from this auction, and lies within an authentic holder. The card exhibits EXMT to NRMT qualities with light surface and edge chipping present; inescapable imperfections which naturally come to the fragile foil surfaces. The card boasts four sharp corners with beautifully cut edges and outstanding centering. The card stock is strong and entirely void of any creasing or wrinkles. Despite the PSA Auth assessment this example is easily among the finest PMG Green MJ's in the world and represents an extraordinary investment opportunity. PSA has referenced some irregular wear to the right edge as cause for the authentic assessment. We attest that this card is neither trimmed nor recolored and while we do see a higher degree of wear to the right edge, we consider this a condition flaw, not an alteration.

As the modern card market matures the importance of these foundetory issues, such as the 1997 PMGs, only continue to rise. The brightest brands are receiving world-wide attention at an increasing rate, synonymous with the international growth of basketball at large.

With all due respect to Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and many others, Michael Jordan is considered the greatest basketball player of all-time with his incredible stats and six NBA championship rings. From the very beginning, Michael Jordan partnered with Nike to create a worldwide brand, "Air Jordan", that far surpassed those of his contemporaries. The Air Jordan brand became synonymous with Basketball and made everyone want to 'Be Like Mike'. To this day, Michael Jordan is a household name and perhaps the most recognized athlete in the world.

In conclusion, this is an extraordinary offering which is only deserving of the finest investment portfolio. Set a reminder on your calendar as this card will end on eBay on the night of February 20th, 2019. Enjoy! This offering is one of a half dozen PMG Greens up for bid in our current auction. All come from a single collection and are being offered to the public for the first time, having just returned from PSA (submitted for grading by PWCC on behalf of the owner). All told this grouping represents one of the most exciting modern-era offerings in our history and we are delighted to present these to the investor community. One of over 15,000 cards, lots, and sets up for bid in our 2nd Auction of 2019. Click on the link above to view the other PWCC auction lots. The PWCC Vault is now live! Open a PWCC Vault account and receive a custom Vault shipping address. Purchases shipped to the Vault receive free shipping and reflect Oregon's 0% sales tax rate.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
Soleternity
Inactive Account

I enjoy that write up for a number of reasons, but did they might've taken it a tad too far with "[t]he card boasts four sharp corners with beautifully cut edges."
Old 02-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
duron

PSA could be referring to intentional edge wear. It's been posted about and done to pmg's before, but I'm not one that would know how to differentiate the wear.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
KhalDrogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by duron View Post
PSA could be referring to intentional edge wear. It's been posted about and done to pmg's before, but I'm not one that would know how to differentiate the wear.
Can you explain more? Like the edge was intentionally damaged to make it appear to be a legitimate pack-issued copy?
Old 02-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #11
Deadshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleternity View Post
I'm liking PSA's new zoom tool. Can see all the imperfections with clarity.

This card looks like it would've graded PSA 4 or 5 if it had gotten a numerical grade. The edges and corners look a tad worse than my PMG Red, which graded PSA 5 in September 2018 (after having been graded BGS 8 previously :\). PSA is much tougher on PMGs.

We talked about this on our last podcast, so I won't rehash it fully here, but there is a chance that some riskier bidders will try and get this card at a steal because of the "altered" tag and then turn around and submit it to BGS. After having seen the card, it is plausible that BGS's experts could come to a different conclusion about whether the card was altered. In fact, it would be quite the power move for BGS to "correct" PSA's error and reintroduce this card to the market with a numerical score, assuming that PSA graded it out of an abundance of caution and mistakenly erred on the side of labeling the card as altered when in fact it isn't.

Edit: Not sure I see any irregular wear on the right edge. But I'm glad PWCC and PSA have explained the reason for the alteration designation. Bidder beware.
Somehow I've missed this podcast in the past. I just listened to the portion about the green Jordan and your podcast is top notch. I will be listening again - please keep up the good work! I love the dynamic with 3 people and there were no issues with sound or production. The little things count!
Deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #12
Soleternity
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
Somehow I've missed this podcast in the past. I just listened to the portion about the green Jordan and your podcast is top notch. I will be listening again - please keep up the good work! I love the dynamic with 3 people and there were no issues with sound or production. The little things count!
Thank you! Will do.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
UltimateDeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
Can you explain more? Like the edge was intentionally damaged to make it appear to be a legitimate pack-issued copy?
I think he means:

-Trimmed at one point to get a high grade
-PSA or BGS wouldn’t grade it because it was obviously trimmed
-I may be wrong but I doubt there are any PSA 10 PMG Greens
-So the card owner then manipulated new edge wear that didn’t look natural to PSA
-Thus the “altered” label

For the record, I don’t think it’s trimmed or altered. I think
PSA is just covering their butts on this one.

Any guesses on ending price?
Old 02-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #14
CastleBeachCards

i've seen at least 3 of these with nasty refractor line (1/100 has it too) too bad for such an iconic card..........I'd bust it out and keep it raw
CastleBeachCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #15
slum22

In my opinion, this is at least one of the top 10 PMG Green Jordans in existence!!!

Reigning Blowout 3 Point Contest Champion
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1175082
slum22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #16
Wings

So some psycho had one of the best cards of all time, but that wasn't good enough. They had to trim it.
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #17
Deadshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slum22 View Post
In my opinion, this is at least one of the top 10 PMG Green Jordans in existence!!!
Lol you could actually say 9. There's a story circulating that some guy got so angry that he ripped one of them up.
Deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #18
slum22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
Lol you could actually say 9. There's a story circulating that some guy got so angry that he ripped one of them up.
Haha, you get me. I did hear that story on Cardboard Chronicles I think. Some crazy guy in Asia I think the story went, lol.

Reigning Blowout 3 Point Contest Champion
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1175082
slum22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #19
theworm1

I think this card will garner even more interest in 90's cards to the general public and maybe get some long lost collections out of closets where they've been forgotten 2 decades ago.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:52 AM   #20
Lee42

I am always in the minority........but I actually think the base card looks better than the Red and the Green.

Sure its not numbered but its a cool card and I love the different colours on it and the design which gets lost in the red and green of the PMG!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1349.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	707.6 KB
ID:	447204  
Lee42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:10 AM   #21
Soleternity
Inactive Account

The base version is stunning. 97-98 Metal Universe basketball is the best set ever made.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:29 AM   #22
GOLDPRIZM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slum22 View Post
Haha, you get me. I did hear that story on Cardboard Chronicles I think. Some crazy guy in Asia I think the story went, lol.
Absolutely crazy if true, do you happen to know what Cardboard Chronicles # that would be on?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:49 AM   #23
chuckerrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDPRIZM View Post
Absolutely crazy if true, do you happen to know what Cardboard Chronicles # that would be on?

Cant remember what number episode it is. Although it is with the Card Hobby Official guys in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chuckerrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #24
itsaboutcards

I believe this is a true story that it was pulled at my LCS. I recall 2 greens where pulled at the start of the release as the ripped a crap ton of that product and in a mad rage from one of the guys parents ripped one up. Granted the card values back then where minisucle to now.

I will be visiting my LCS after CNY (Chinese New Year vacation) finishes tonight and everyone is back to work tommorow and get the story from the shop owner.
itsaboutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #25
6celtics33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee42 View Post
I am always in the minority........but I actually think the base card looks better than the Red and the Green.

Sure its not numbered but its a cool card and I love the different colours on it and the design which gets lost in the red and green of the PMG!!
See but where you’re wrong at is you’re trying to decide your appreciation level just based on the cards themselves. What you gotta do is you gotta, you gotta imagine the kajillion billion yen the pmg’s are worth and how that’ll make you feel knowing you’re a big baller shot caller owning one.

Then you’ll understand why you actually like the beat to crap edges and plain single color background better.

Trust me I lift.

God Bless.
6celtics33 is offline   Reply With Quote