Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction netflix add

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback & Hobby Scams

Notices

Member Sales/Trade Feedback & Hobby Scams Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

Old 02-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
superdan49
BODA

Default Attention BODA: Blowout Member SSIGuy Selling Altered Cards, eBay ID= marketplacessi

Card alteration has been always been an issue in the hobby, but the depths of this problem have not become apparent until the recent exposure of one of the hobby's more prominent high-end players, Eric Bitz of BuyNiceCards. What began as an investigation into Bitz has spread afield, netting some other alleged crooks like Brian Deer of isellurcards along the way.

To help combat fraud, I opened an e-mail line, superdan49@protonmail.com where anyone can report alleged hobby fraud. I've had quite a few e-mails sent to me. Some are letters of support, while others are folks providing leads to potential fraud. However, most of these tips (while well-meaning) lead to dead ends.

Two weeks ago, however, I received an anonymous tip that eBay user marketplacessi, operating a business known as Superior Sports Investments of Arlington, Texas, is selling numerous high-end trimmed cards certified by BGS and PSA. This seller is a member here on the Blowout Forums, under the username SSIGuy. Henceforth, I will refer to this individual as SSIGuy, his BO username. Here are the results of my investigation (three total posts):

The first thing I noticed about SSIGuy's eBay inventory was some really condition-sensitive cards in high grades. The seller owns 2 of the 5 existent 2008-09 Topps Gold Russell Westbrook PSA 10 RCs. This raised a red flag for me. You will see my skepticism was warranted:

First we have a 2008-09 Topps Gold Westbrook PSA 10 with the PSA serial number 26860788. The card itself is serial numbered 0292/2008. SSIGuy is currently selling this card for $849.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-09-top...-/362556789039

Worthpoint confirms that the same card was sold raw on eBay on January 13, 2017:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...pps-1849597173

Look below at the upper right corner, and to a lesser degree the lower right corner, of the raw Westbrook Gold (circled in blue). The corners are noticeably soft, with white showing. How did this damage disappear when the same card was graded a PSA 10? Also, the right border is now thinner. The serial numbers are a match. Conclusion: The card is undeniably trimmed.

SSIGuy is also selling the rare black parallel of Westbrook's 2008-09 Topps card. It is serial numbered 40/51 and has been graded BGS 9.5, with a BGS serial number 0010081774. He is currently trying to unload this card on eBay for $2,125:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-09-top.../132899154560?

This card was sold raw on eBay on July 16, 2017. It is the same 40/51 serial number.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...pps-1877554265

In the raw card, there is noticeable chipping on the bottom border and the lower left hand corner is a bit soft. I've circled the area of concern in green. Compare that with the BGS 9.5 Gem Mint example. It is a clean border and sharp corner. Conclusion: Card was shaved on the bottom border to give it a gem appearance.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
superdan49
BODA

Next are three baseball cards I found from SSIGuy's eBay inventory. First, a 2014 Topps Update Black Mookie Betts RC, Graded BGS 10 Pristine. The BGS serial number is 0010593839, while the card is serial numbered 37/63:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-topps-...-/382785063478

Now here is the same card, serial number 37/63, sold in raw condition on eBay back on May 28, 2018:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...301-1929870201

Circled in blue on the Worthpoint description it mentions that the Betts card has a "left lower corner very slightly chipped". Do BGS 10 Pristines, with a perfect 10 corner subgrade, have chipped lower left corners? No, they do not, unless they are trimmed. Compare the images below:

The second baseball card we have is a 2001 Topps Traded Gold Albert Pujols RC, graded PSA 9 and serial numbered 0448/2001. The PSA serial number is 42066572. SSIGuy sold this card for $475 on December 3 of last year.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-topps-...orig_cvip=true

This card was previously sold raw on May 24, 2018.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ols-1929603479

The corners in the 2001 Topps Gold Pujols, when raw, are noticeably soft. Compare with the razor sharp top corners in SSIGuy's PSA 9. Conclusion: The card is slightly trimmed on top.

I want to be clear: at this point, I cannot confirm the name of the person who is responsible for the trimming and/or alterations, just that that SSIGuy is selling numerous altered cards that have been proven to been unaltered when sold raw.

Team BODA: I have one more post coming later with information on how you can help with this investigation. I have only scratched the surface of SSIGuy's inventory. At present, I am sending him a direct message here on Blowout to let him know about this thread. Hopefully he will respond to the community regarding these troubling findings.

Last edited by superdan49; 02-24-2019 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Altuve removed due to COMC issue. However, I stand by my original assessment.
superdan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #3
Sjpwa

Thanks for the info. Nice work buddy.
Sjpwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
GeechQuest

Great job! Nothing short of fantastic the way you lay out everything.
GeechQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
ThoseBackPages

Wow, this is disheartening
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
ThoseBackPages

i had that Pujols on my watchlist
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #7
KhalDrogo

Usually I can tell just by looking at the edge that a card is trimmed. These give off a natural appearance, but are clearly altered based on the improvements in the corners and edges. Good work Dan.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #8
6celtics33

Good work and thanks

I hope you guys realize that while serial numbered cards make it easy to show solid proof, it should serve as a warning that if they are this greedy and dumb to trim serial numbered cards in the digital age with all these bookmarking sites like worthpoint capturing the raw image then only God knows how many non numbered high grade cards are trimmed
6celtics33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #9
superdan49
BODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
Usually I can tell just by looking at the edge that a card is trimmed. These give off a natural appearance, but are clearly altered based on the improvements in the corners and edges. Good work Dan.
As far as trim jobs go, these are good ones. I would have never suspected he had tainted inventory if not for that anonymous e-mail tip.

Just to let everyone know, I contacted SSIGuy. I hope he responds to this thread.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #10
ninjacookies

Location: All the girls see the (boi)/ Look at his flips / Look at his kards / All they say is (oh boi).

He touch card. Then he pray.

ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #11
1stBowman
Inactive Account

I tip my cap to you, sir. Excellently presented.

I hope that the grading companies take measures to improve their game because this seriously undermines their credibility and worth.

Thanks for shining a light on this dark side of the hobby.
1stBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #12
Jocel

The laser cutting technology they spent is juz about $10-$15 and they can up the card price to x10 how much they got after the grading wow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jocel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:15 PM   #13
1stBowman
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6celtics33 View Post
Good work and thanks

I hope you guys realize that while serial numbered cards make it easy to show solid proof, it should serve as a warning that if they are this greedy and dumb to trim serial numbered cards in the digital age with all these bookmarking sites like worthpoint capturing the raw image then only God knows how many non numbered high grade cards are trimmed
Lots. 10 x as many?

I’m not sure folks realise how damaging this is.

I may never have purchased a high end graded card, but there’s no way I would now. Not unless the providence of the card can be vouched for. I suspect the examples shown thus far are the tip of the iceberg.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:19 PM   #14
1stBowman
Inactive Account

Here’s a solution. To hell with grades. Trim away, the cards look better after all. Just let PSA, BGS vouch that the card and/or auto is authentic and that’s that.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:19 PM   #15
mjohnatgt

Just an FYI on using card scans from Sold Out cards at COMC: the fronts and back are not guaranteed to be the same item. Now if it was the only card ever sent to COMC of that card, it would by default be the front and back scans. However, if 10 cards were sent in and all are sold, they could be using the front of one card's scan with the back of a different card when you flip it over. I've noticed that before. If I see it again, I'll record a video to show you.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #16
mjohnatgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stBowman View Post
Here’s a solution. To hell with grades. Trim away, the cards look better after all. Just let PSA, BGS vouch that the card and/or auto is authentic and that’s that.
Quoted for the future.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #17
LCM1223

Here’s your Oscar
Old 02-24-2019, 08:27 PM   #18
Wiseysez

I see that this thread has already been moved to a section that I (and probably most) never visit. Seems like a bad decision.
Wiseysez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:37 PM   #19
superdan49
BODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnatgt View Post
Just an FYI on using card scans from Sold Out cards at COMC: the fronts and back are not guaranteed to be the same item. Now if it was the only card ever sent to COMC of that card, it would by default be the front and back scans. However, if 10 cards were sent in and all are sold, they could be using the front of one card's scan with the back of a different card when you flip it over. I've noticed that before. If I see it again, I'll record a video to show you.

I pride myself on getting all the details I post 100% right. I stand by the Altuve assessment, but I have removed it due to the possibility of COMC not using the same front and back images for each individual card.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #20
Harper

yeah, this just got punted to no man's land, unfortunately. Where it will be seen by only a select few who already know this is a problem while the average collector who comes on here sporadically will never get whiff of it...
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #21
JMarchand1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseysez View Post
I see that this thread has already been moved to a section that I (and probably most) never visit. Seems like a bad decision.
I would disagree with this.
JMarchand1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:28 PM   #22
RogerGodahell
Banned

He's online now...someone send him a link to this thread and see if he replies.
RogerGodahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #23
RogerGodahell
Banned

Judging by his post history he loves talking about grading cards. And now we know the rest of the story. Paul Harvey... good day.
RogerGodahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:34 PM   #24
houdini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseysez View Post
We have sub-forums for a reason. Just because you don't use them, doesn't make them a bad decision. If you only visit one part of the forum, you are the one limiting your forum experience. Some threads only about basketball and/or basketball cards might get left in the basketball sub-forum, but this one clearly belongs here.

NO ECHECKS ACCEPTED!
YouTube Link
Shipping Info
International Shipping
Descanse mi princesita 9/20/00-4/16/15
houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:41 PM   #25
superdan49
BODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
We have sub-forums for a reason. Just because you don't use them, doesn't make them a bad decision. If you only visit one part of the forum, you are the one limiting your forum experience. Some threads only about basketball and/or basketball cards might get left in the basketball sub-forum, but this one clearly belongs here.

OP here. I included altered baseball cards in a basketball thread because I did not want two or three separate threads in different sections where there is no communication between them. This has happened to some degree with previous threads on similar topics.

I respect houdini's decision, but the poster is correct in noting that a large number of BO members do not come to this section.