Blowout Cards Forums
pokemon Scarlet & Violet Stellar Crown

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GRADING

Notices

GRADING For all grading talk - PSA, BGS, SGC, etc

Old 12-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
nhlmint

Default BGS 10 Pristine vs PSA 10 Gem Mint

After looking at tons of cards lately, wondering how much a BGS 10 Pristine is worth compared to a PSA 10 of the same card, especially for 80s hockey, but also open to broader discussion about all sports. Prices realized can vary somewhat, so would like to hear some opinions/advice, experience on this.
nhlmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
CxL

It all depends on the POP Report. BGS 10s are normally much much more valuable.
CxL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
aggie4ever

Depends on the specific card. But for 1980's hockey specifically, I would be concerned that most BGS 10 graded cards are probably sheet cut. So considering that, and the lack of a registry, they may not be valued as much as you would think compared to a PSA 10.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:43 PM   #4
rwperu34

No help for 80s hockey, but modern 1st Chrome Auto it's usually a 50% premium for BGS 10 vs PSA 10.

BGS/PS9=1x
BGS 9.5=1.5x
PSA 10=2x
BGS 10=3x

Black label are pretty rare and have huge variance in price.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:34 AM   #5
nhlmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Depends on the specific card. But for 1980's hockey specifically, I would be concerned that most BGS 10 graded cards are probably sheet cut. So considering that, and the lack of a registry, they may not be valued as much as you would think compared to a PSA 10.

Thanks for mentioning sheet cut cards. A lot of collectors also consider strong OPC 9.5s from that era and sport to be sheet cut.

PWCC recently stated in one of its auction descriptions that the card was sheet cut, a 10 pristine Cam Neely rookie.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-O-Pee-...p2047675.l2557

I like BGS 10s, but wonder if they will hold value if a lot of collectors are turned off by that or hesitant to buy them, not to mention the rising prices.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #6
GatorPie

I'd be willing to bet almost all, if not all, of the 80's hockey BGS 10 cards are sheet cut - a "10" edges is usually dead giveaway. The smoothness of the cuts is rather easy to observe under magnification - it will be obvious when comparing it to a pack-pulled card. Here's a video I made of the difference:

Now, even knowing the card is sheet cut (and PWCC always mentions if it is) still garners VERY strong prices, usually more than PSA 10's. Many people do not care.

PSA does not deliberately grade sheet cuts like BGS but some have gotten into PSA holders anyway.

Last edited by GatorPie; 12-28-2020 at 07:27 AM.
GatorPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #7
gregggyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorPie View Post
I'd be willing to bet almost all, if not all, of the 80's hockey BGS 10 cards are sheet cut - a "10" edges is usually dead giveaway. The smoothness of the cuts is rather easy to observe under magnification - it will be obvious when comparing it to a pack-pulled card. Here's a video I made of the difference:

Now, even knowing the card is sheet cut (and PWCC always mentions if it is) still garners VERY strong prices, usually more than PSA 10's. Many people do not care.

PSA does not deliberately grade sheet cuts like BGS but some have gotten into PSA holders anyway.
Hello Gator,

Please look at this auction... I do not believe the consigner mentions the fact that THE CARD IS SHEET CUT. Thank you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-O-Pee-...E/224143929608
gregggyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #8
GatorPie

The ONLY seller that I've ever seen mention sheet cuts are PWCC, and they really don't have to do it. As much as they are despised, they should be given some credit for that. You won't have anyone else mentioning it, since it will likely reduce the value.

Saying that, PWCC only does it in their auctions, not their vault offerings like that Mario card.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #9
nhlmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorPie View Post
The ONLY seller that I've ever seen mention sheet cuts are PWCC, and they really don't have to do it. As much as they are despised, they should be given some credit for that. You won't have anyone else mentioning it, since it will likely reduce the value.

Saying that, PWCC only does it in their auctions, not their vault offerings like that Mario card.
Thanks for the video link and your remarks. I suppose that sheet cutting is a reality that some loathe and others tolerate, similar to pressing for graded comic books.
While PWCC should be given credit for mentioning sheet cut cards (they will often tell you it "likely is" if you ask on a BGS 10 since they cannot tell for sure), they are pretty enthusiastic about price gouging on some items. Just take a look at their unopened wax packs and some of their pristine cards in the vault. They are usually multiples above recent Ebay sales. To be fair, this may be greedy consignors who are responsible for that, and you can't blame someone for wanting maximum dollars in a hot market. I suppose it's the new breed of collector that doesn't care about sheet cut, since a lot of the old school type treat sheet cut examples with absolute contempt. I honestly don't care if the prices come down to earth a bit.

Does Beckett still grade sheet cut cards the way SGC does?
Old 12-28-2020, 08:04 PM   #10
GatorPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlmint View Post
Thanks for the video link and your remarks. I suppose that sheet cutting is a reality that some loathe and others tolerate, similar to pressing for graded comic books.
While PWCC should be given credit for mentioning sheet cut cards (they will often tell you it "likely is" if you ask on a BGS 10 since they cannot tell for sure), they are pretty enthusiastic about price gouging on some items. Just take a look at their unopened wax packs and some of their pristine cards in the vault. They are usually multiples above recent Ebay sales. To be fair, this may be greedy consignors who are responsible for that, and you can't blame someone for wanting maximum dollars in a hot market. I suppose it's the new breed of collector that doesn't care about sheet cut, since a lot of the old school type treat sheet cut examples with absolute contempt. I honestly don't care if the prices come down to earth a bit.

Does Beckett still grade sheet cut cards the way SGC does?
BGS has always graded sheet cut cards, they think nothing of it.

As far as I know, the prices for the PWCC Vault auctions are set by the owner of the cards, not PWCC.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #11
CaptainBattles

Can somebody tell me why I have seen some BGS 10's with quad 10 subs have a gold label instead of a black? Just a mistake on BGS part? If you had one would you send it back to have the label changed to black?
CaptainBattles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:11 PM   #12
kabrune2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBattles View Post
Can somebody tell me why I have seen some BGS 10's with quad 10 subs have a gold label instead of a black? Just a mistake on BGS part? If you had one would you send it back to have the label changed to black?
BGS didn’t have a black label for a few years, just a regular gold label. If I had a quad gold label I’d be getting that sucker reholdered.
kabrune2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #13
CaptainBattles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabrune2 View Post
BGS didn’t have a black label for a few years, just a regular gold label. If I had a quad gold label I’d be getting that sucker reholdered.
Thanks a lot man!
CaptainBattles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:33 PM   #14
GatorPie

I have two older quad-10 cards at BGS right now getting the black label. While I'm waiting, I went ahead and simply photoshopped what they will look like.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:57 PM   #15
Malik

What do you guys think about BGS 10 vs PSA 10 in value thesedays? I feel like they are same even pops of BGS 10's is much lower.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote