Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction netflix add

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-16-2021, 04:34 AM   #1
Tallguy1991

Default EBay Scam: DO NOT BUY AUTOGRAPHS WITH COAs FROM THESE COMPANIES

Hey guys. I just stumbled across a dirt bag on eBay and as many of you will see right off the bat, as I did, he is selling a number of fake autographed items with “COAs” from at least 6 bogus companies. The seller, who’s eBay is screenshotted below, uses the handle “bestonthebloch.” Many/most of you who are reading this already know how risky buying autographs online is, but I’ve seen people post somewhat recently asking if items with “inPersonAuthentics” COAs are legit and I want to make sure it’s clear that they most certainly are not. inPersonAuthentics, PAAS, ForensicAuthentication.com, GlobalAuthentics, VS, and Atlantic Authentics are the “authenticators” according to the cheap holo stickers on the items in these photos, and they are all completely illegitimate outfits. The first red flag even before examining the COA is the prices: if the price is significantly below market during a worldwide sports memorabilia frenzy, something is amiss. People don’t sell things like this on eBay at a loss, and if you check Upper Deck’s site youll see that they don’t have anything with Jordans signature on it for less than $2500ish. That brings up a second red flag: almost all the athletes these guys are forging signatures of are signed to exclusive rights deals with a large hobby entity: MJ and LeBron>Upper Deck, Ja>Panini, Zion>Fanatics, etc etc so they aren’t going to randomly be signing for some outfit whose “corporate email” ends in aol.com. That, and Jordan probably isn’t likely to sign “Official League” cheap ass sold in a 5 gallon bucket baseballs any time soon. You’ll also notice when looking at the knockoff COAs that whoever is making them is intentionally modeling them after existing logos in the hobby.

TLDR: COAs are super easy to make look official in passing or to unexperienced collectors. DONT BUY AN AUTOGRAPH OFF OF EBAY UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!! The only COAs I would trust for non-card autographed items would be Upper Deck, Fanatics, MLB, Panini, and that’s really it.

The reason im all up in arms over this is that it’s pretty clear these guys largely prey on non-hobbyists looking to purchase an expensive and meaningful gift for a loved one, or new hobbyists trying to build a collection. That sucks, and I want to try and do my part to expose these thieves whenever I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tallguy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:42 AM   #2
Tallguy1991

https://live.autographmagazine.com/f...ipe-their-lead

^more info on “GA”

Tallguy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:35 PM   #3
Lindy

Default autographs

I have right in front of me autographs from each of your listed do not buy. and I am crying like a little baby. This really suks for me So every signature is definitely no good?
Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:40 PM   #4
drobfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
I have right in front of me autographs from each of your listed do not buy. and I am crying like a little baby. This really suks for me So every signature is definitely no good?
What are the odds on your very first post to find this thread at the perfect time.

Incredible luck..

Well, now you know.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:49 PM   #5
gottagitdemjs

I totally agree. There are probably a few that you are missing. I wish ebay would add them to their "persona non grata" list which would basically blackball them from the hobby. Yes, ebay has that kind of power.
The Chiefs win a Super Bowl.......FINALLY!!!...3X!!! BACK TO BACK!!!
gottagitdemjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:22 AM   #6
bmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
One of the best first posts ever lmao
bmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:20 AM   #7
pokemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobfan8 View Post
What are the odds on your very first post to find this thread at the perfect time.

Incredible luck..

Well, now you know.
I'd say pretty high considering most people understand a simple Google search.
pokemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:51 AM   #8
byronscott4ever

The Jordan is on a cheapo baseball which is a red flag too
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:23 PM   #9
ReggieBush22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy1991 View Post
Hey guys. I just stumbled across a dirt bag on eBay and as many of you will see right off the bat, as I did, he is selling a number of fake autographed items with “COAs” from at least 6 bogus companies. The seller, who’s eBay is screenshotted below, uses the handle “bestonthebloch.” Many/most of you who are reading this already know how risky buying autographs online is, but I’ve seen people post somewhat recently asking if items with “inPersonAuthentics” COAs are legit and I want to make sure it’s clear that they most certainly are not. inPersonAuthentics, PAAS, ForensicAuthentication.com, GlobalAuthentics, VS, and Atlantic Authentics are the “authenticators” according to the cheap holo stickers on the items in these photos, and they are all completely illegitimate outfits. The first red flag even before examining the COA is the prices: if the price is significantly below market during a worldwide sports memorabilia frenzy, something is amiss. People don’t sell things like this on eBay at a loss, and if you check Upper Deck’s site youll see that they don’t have anything with Jordans signature on it for less than $2500ish. That brings up a second red flag: almost all the athletes these guys are forging signatures of are signed to exclusive rights deals with a large hobby entity: MJ and LeBron>Upper Deck, Ja>Panini, Zion>Fanatics, etc etc so they aren’t going to randomly be signing for some outfit whose “corporate email” ends in aol.com. That, and Jordan probably isn’t likely to sign “Official League” cheap ass sold in a 5 gallon bucket baseballs any time soon. You’ll also notice when looking at the knockoff COAs that whoever is making them is intentionally modeling them after existing logos in the hobby.

TLDR: COAs are super easy to make look official in passing or to unexperienced collectors. DONT BUY AN AUTOGRAPH OFF OF EBAY UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!! The only COAs I would trust for non-card autographed items would be Upper Deck, Fanatics, MLB, Panini, and that’s really it.

The reason im all up in arms over this is that it’s pretty clear these guys largely prey on non-hobbyists looking to purchase an expensive and meaningful gift for a loved one, or new hobbyists trying to build a collection. That sucks, and I want to try and do my part to expose these thieves whenever I can.

Steiner is pretty legit too. Although they don't have matching/numbered holograms but if you have the Steiner sticker on the item along with the COA card, that's pretty good to go.
ReggieBush22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:48 PM   #10
Brandoninsel

https://heritageauthentication.com/

Does anybody have any issues with these guys? Looks, suspect. I received an auto from a buddy as a birthday gift which was certified by this company.
Brandoninsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:47 AM   #11
bmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoninsel View Post
https://heritageauthentication.com/

Does anybody have any issues with these guys? Looks, suspect. I received an auto from a buddy as a birthday gift which was certified by this company.
I wonder if Heritage Auctions knows about this. I could see where this would be confusing to collectors.
bmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 05:11 PM   #12
Mandaue1

Default Autograph Authentication

Please also consider Mounted Memories, Tri-Star, Stacks of Plaques, Allen George Associates, Sports Collectibles of Houston for authentic certification. Most, if not all, of their autographed items are from products they have/had athletes sign at their own private/public sessions.
Mandaue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 06:57 PM   #13
Baraka

I had a bad experience years ago with Steve from GA. Long story short, dude's a POS.