Does anyone know about this grading company
cg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #2
irv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg1 View Post
Does anyone know about this grading company
Never heard of them?

I'm not sure where you are located but I am seriously thinking about using the CDN company MNT to grade some of my cards.
I've read some favorable reviews and with not wanting to mail/ship across the border and pay U.S. rates, this company seems like the perfect fit for me.
https://mntgrading.com/
Old 02-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #3
valleynuckfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Never heard of them?

I'm not sure where you are located but I am seriously thinking about using the CDN company MNT to grade some of my cards.
I've read some favorable reviews and with not wanting to mail/ship across the border and pay U.S. rates, this company seems like the perfect fit for me.
https://mntgrading.com/
A friend of mine and local seller has been using MNT for about 18 months now and I have to say that the quality of grading is quite good. Of course you don't realize PSA sales values for the cards, but IME the MNT cards sell very close to BGS pricing.
Would I let MNT grade any super high end stuff? Probably not if for immediate resale. But for PC or maybe long term I would consider it.
MNT is way stricter than KSA for example and on par with the big 3. Actually having the slabs in hand proves the point. Maybe pick up a cheaper card and see for yourself first if you haven't already.
valleynuckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:14 PM   #4
mooselang

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleynuckfan View Post
A friend of mine and local seller has been using MNT for about 18 months now and I have to say that the quality of grading is quite good. Of course you don't realize PSA sales values for the cards, but IME the MNT cards sell very close to BGS pricing.
Would I let MNT grade any super high end stuff? Probably not if for immediate resale. But for PC or maybe long term I would consider it.
MNT is way stricter than KSA for example and on par with the big 3. Actually having the slabs in hand proves the point. Maybe pick up a cheaper card and see for yourself first if you haven't already.
Not to mention the MNT slabs look great (imo), and they have subgrades.
mooselang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
cg1

Looks like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orr.jpg (112.9 KB, 218 views)
cg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:04 PM   #6
valleynuckfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg1 View Post
Looks like this
So they graded a reprint.
www.smacard.net goes nowhere.
Where did you get that example?

Last edited by valleynuckfan; 02-05-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
mooselang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooselang View Post
Not to mention the MNT slabs look great (imo), and they have subgrades.
Lol I go to bat for MNT, and as I’m going through my cards today, one of my MNT holders just came apart in my hands. Can open it and push it back together like a normal old snap holder. Not ideal!
Old 02-06-2021, 05:20 PM   #8
irv

Quote:
Lol I go to bat for MNT, and as I’m going through my cards today, one of my MNT holders just came apart in my hands. Can open it and push it back together like a normal old snap holder. Not ideal!
Ooops. Not good. Is it an older one of theirs and can you tell why or how it came apart?
Old 02-06-2021, 05:34 PM   #9
mooselang

Quote:
Ooops. Not good. Is it an older one of theirs and can you tell why or how it came apart?
Not sure how old it is, but the serial number is in the 4,000s (4xxx). If it were a Mint/Gem Mint card, I would be unhappy and contacting them. But it’s a 7 Coffey RC for my PC, so it’s not a huge deal to me right now.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #10
valleynuckfan

Quote:
That blows!
I've had KSA slabs pop apart fairly easily (not the older style red border label slabs but newer models from KSA West here in Vancouver. I've watched the grader do it numerous times at local shows)
With a little ingenuity it wouldn't be too tough to re-seal the holder with a substituted card.
I've only bought KSA cards in person and always check the holder thoroughly for signs of tampering.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:46 PM   #11
irv

Quote:
Not sure how old it is, but the serial number is in the 4,000s (4xxx). If it were a Mint/Gem Mint card, I would be unhappy and contacting them. But it’s a 7 Coffey RC for my PC, so it’s not a huge deal to me right now.
I would still let them know and resubmit the card.

I am thinking of using MNT myself as a possible grader, but this definitely raises a concern now so I am also curious on the outcome.

Like Valley wrote, I have also heard that about KSA slabs. I want a solid alternative to the big 3 state side so this isn't sitting well with me right now as a viable option.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #12
mooselang

It’s actually a 6.5 Coffey. Serial No 4248. If someone went to the trouble to fake a mediocre copy of a Paul Coffey RC, more power to them

I will probably email them, but don’t really feel like sending it back. That’s a lot of hassle for this card. I bought it for my PC, and I liked the looks of the MNT slabs so I wanted to get one to see their grading standards.

Honesty I would be worried if it were a higher quality card. Not so much for tampering, but because the card can get damaged easily. When I was looking earlier, I was like “why is that card all the way over there in the holder?” So I gave it a little shake and it just came apart. If it had gotten in between the case and the lines in the case that hold it in place, you could cause some damage.

I’ll drop them an email and report back.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:50 PM   #13
26CRD

There have been a few videos of people cracking open MNT slabs with just their hands...I'd steer clear, but that's just me.

Will stick with PSA and BGS.
26CRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #14
irv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CRD View Post
There have been a few videos of people cracking open MNT slabs with just their hands...I'd steer clear, but that's just me.

I watched one last night. I may write them tomorrow to see if they have corrected this issue as the vid I watched was a couple years old.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:13 PM   #15
Melagoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CRD View Post

I guess this is part of the learning curve ...
Old 02-07-2021, 02:02 PM   #16
mooselang

Received the following email response from MNT. Quick response, and on a Sunday no less. At least they seem to be concerned with customer service. Maybe they’ll bump my Coffey up a grade lol (it absolutely does not deserve a higher grade):

Good afternoon Clint,

Thank you for the heads up on this and there might have been some potential "damage" (twisting of the case) when shipping to you.

If you want to send it in with your future order, please feel free to do so and we can double check the gradings(please add the label to the package) and then just reslab the card.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:38 PM   #17
irv

Quote:
Received the following email response from MNT. Quick response, and on a Sunday no less. At least they seem to be concerned with customer service. Maybe they’ll bump my Coffey up a grade lol (it absolutely does not deserve a higher grade):

Good afternoon Clint,

Thank you for the heads up on this and there might have been some potential "damage" (twisting of the case) when shipping to you.

If you want to send it in with your future order, please feel free to do so and we can double check the gradings(please add the label to the package) and then just reslab the card.
That was good. Never thought anyone would receive a reply on a Sunday.

Curious, did they mention anything about why it came apart even with the twisting and did they mention anything about that problem being corrected?

Thanks for the update.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:09 PM   #18
mooselang

Quote:
That was good. Never thought anyone would receive a reply on a Sunday.

Curious, did they mention anything about why it came apart even with the twisting and did they mention anything about that problem being corrected?

Thanks for the update.

That was the entirety of their response. The twisting thing didn’t jive well with me, but I did appreciate the offer of re-slabbing.

I still may submit to them. Again, I like the looks of their slabs (if they stay together) and their sub-grading. Plus, I have a nice Ronnie Franchise rookie that would look good with the green MNT emblem
Old 02-07-2021, 06:50 PM   #19
irv

Quote:
That was the entirety of their response. The twisting thing didn’t jive well with me, but I did appreciate the offer of re-slabbing.

I still may submit to them. Again, I like the looks of their slabs (if they stay together) and their sub-grading. Plus, I have a nice Ronnie Franchise rookie that would look good with the green MNT emblem
I may write/call them tomorrow and ask about it? I can see a new(er) company starting out and having some issues, but if they haven't been corrected yet, then that throws up a red flag for me.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:25 PM   #20
mintacular

What the hell is 9.5 "Mint / Pristine+" ?
mintacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:52 PM   #21
valleynuckfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
What the hell is 9.5 "Mint / Pristine+" ?
Yeah right?
We're still waiting for the OP to come back with where the card came from.