Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
edhou1
Banned

First thing that I've learned is that in BK, there are not that many team collectors and thus collecting is usually all about "who the next Michael, Kobe, or Lebron" will be.
Mediocre rookies regardless of how solid they are, pretty much get common treatment. Generally there are some sleepers but most of the superstars like LeBron , Derrick Rose, etc are known before they get drafted and it's just a matter of when you get into 'investing" them.

UD Exquisite obviously has been "the" set since 03-04 but now that it's unlicensed, typically the National Treasures RAPs have been the card to get.
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
edhou1
Banned

First thing that I've learned is that in BK, there are not that many team collectors and thus collecting is usually all about "who the next Michael, Kobe, or Lebron" will be.
Mediocre rookies regardless of how solid they are, pretty much get common treatment. Generally there are some sleepers but most of the superstars like LeBron , Derrick Rose, etc are known before they get drafted and it's just a matter of when you get into 'investing" them.

UD Exquisite obviously has been "the" set since 03-04 but now that it's unlicensed, typically the National Treasures RAPs have been the card to get.
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
mikecancelliere
Banned

Default Want to get into basketball... Need advice

So I only do baseball prospects right now and the off season is making it tough to move things. I want to move into another sport and basketball seems the easiest and seems like a big money sport

My questions are
Who to buy? Only rookies? Stars? I know for baseball you can get a star auto a lot cheaper than some prospect autos
What sets are the best? What are crap?
When to sell? After a big game? Hot streak?

Any other comments welcomed.

Thanks!
mikecancelliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
PackAttack419

edhou1 is right. very few team collectors (some of the big markets). more often than not, everyone's chasing the same limited cards of the same superstars and the collectors with the deepest pockets gets the best stuff.

a lot of star/all-star players dont get that much hobby love in basketball, so even if you collect a rookie that semi-breaks out, it might not mean anything in terms of value. basketball should only be for collecting, and not really for investing or prospecting, esp with the monopoly that panini holds with the licensed basketball card market