Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
packsmashers

Talking XBOX Next-Gen

Just wanted to drop a quick note for any X-Box fans out there that Microsoft is going to hold a press con. on May 21st at 8am Central Time to announce the details of their new console that is shipping this holiday season.
You can watch it live on SpikeTV or Xbox live.
I hope that they are planning on revealing a few details (name of the console, pricing, games planned on launch, and if the system will be compatible with the previous gen.) And not just teasing us until E3.

Right now all I've heard are that they have been calling this "Project Durango", but copyrights have been issued for the names of Durango, Phoenix, and Infinity.

There is also word that the Kinect sensor is built in, and much more accurate in tighter play areas. Able to track each indiv. finger on a players hand.
Add that info with the rumors of a touch screen on your controller, voice recognition above and beyond anything the public has seen so far, and the added horse power under the hood your looking at one bad mother.

If you're interested in getting an early glimpse at the next generation of graphics that this machine and the Playstation 4 will be able to handle go to youtube and search for battlefield 4 gameplay, or unreal engine 4....also there is a little something out there called the holo-desk that I think fellow game nerds might enjoy.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
AP4MVP

Man i hate tough decisions. ps4 or xbox. The stress is tearing me apart.
AP4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
ArsonCuff

the news/ rumors on IGN are that the new Xbox machine will need to be constantly connected to the Internet to work and will possibly block "used" games from being played, ala can't go buy a used copy from Gamestop to play, must buy new.
ArsonCuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
bigbluecolt93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsonCuff View Post
possibly block "used" games from being played,
I heard that's not true anymore. That would be ridiculous
Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
SDcardguy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsonCuff View Post
the news/ rumors on IGN are that the new Xbox machine will need to be constantly connected to the Internet to work and will possibly block "used" games from being played, ala can't go buy a used copy from Gamestop to play, must buy new.
Ugh, that would be awful. I really hope that that is not true.

Really excited for the details though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP4MVP View Post
Same here.
SDcardguy24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Bader

FYI it's being announced at 10:00 AM PT

also I've read several reports that this new system will not play discs at all, that everything you buy is downloaded from the internet, so you will not be able to play your older game sunless you purchase them offline and download them.

Lastly I heard this system will not be compatible with all HD TV's that anything 1080i or lower it will not be compatible.....I really hope this isn't true
Bader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
freethrowtommy

I will probably get the next Xbox... I like the 360 controller much better than the current Sony standard. This is assuming they don't #@#@#@#@ with the design much for the 360.
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Metsfan1121

Anyone know if games like madden 25 (scheduled to release August 27) are rereleased for this?
Metsfan1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
zonacats8

Already sounds like a flop

Have to download games? So you can't take your game to a friends house to play?

Can't buy used games? Huge market

No compatible with even some high end HD TVs? I don't even have one that would work with it now

Kinect built into it? So you have to have the system itself on a place that works for the kinect?

Just sounds like a failure all the way around
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
fm8418

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

chances are the game is in the cloud so you just log on at a friends house possibly
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
RefractorsEtc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan1121 View Post
Anyone know if games like madden 25 (scheduled to release August 27) are rereleased for this?
I would assume that they would have to be. Madden is one of the most bought games on both systems.
RefractorsEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
fm8418

Usually the first year of any sport games on a system suck so avoid them almost at all cost.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
freethrowtommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
Already sounds like a flop

Have to download games? So you can't take your game to a friends house to play?

Can't buy used games? Huge market

No compatible with even some high end HD TVs? I don't even have one that would work with it now

Kinect built into it? So you have to have the system itself on a place that works for the kinect?

Just sounds like a failure all the way around
None of this stuff is fact, it is all rumor at this point.
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
MikeMamba

PS4 is KING

Ed Davis PC --> http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p525/MikeMamba/Ed%20Davis%20PC/
MikeMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
CAS239

Yea I don't believe any of those rumors.

-Their not going to block used games. There's not even a way to detect if a used game is being played vs a new game anyways unless every single game is packed with a unique code that you'll have to enter. This won't happen. GameStop and Gamefly would be out of business. Redbox would take a hit and remove the games. I find this to be a stupid rumor that I don't understand why anyone would believe.

I think it would be compatible with any current and future tv's. LCD, HD, 3D, etc. They wouldn't hurt their audience and rule out certain current tv setups.

Kinect being built in would make sense. They improve the already great sensor so it has a wider range, the consoles already normally facing the players, why not? And if the Xbox isn't in an ideal spot, only takes a couple seconds to move and get into a good spot. Not to mention Kinect is always an optional version to playing most game. Not like its mandatory.

-Highly doubt it would need to be connected 24/7 to the Internet to work. That again would be ridiculously stupid and sounds like another far fetched rumor. In today's day and age, majority of people have Internet and wifi, but there's no benefit to having a console that needs to be connected 24/7 to run.

Only things I can really think about I'd like to see improved/incorporated.
-BluRay capability. No reason they shouldn't make it so BluRay movies can be played with more and more people buying BluRay these days
-More integration with Redbox. More titles to rent, download, reserve from Xbox to redbox kiosk maybe
-Kinect improved. Make it so you can be standing closer and still be easily registered. Little bit better responsiveness.
-Different color consoles. Not really a big one but moreso cool factor. I'd like to have a little more variety on the color system I can get. White, Black, Red, See through, Green. Would be cool to be able to have a different color Xbox without having to buy a special edition.
-Make lowest priced Xbox have decent memory. The 4gb Xbox is a joke. If you bought your Xbox to do more than just watch a movie, then your memory is going to be maxed. Now I love my 250gb console, but maybe make the minimum like 20gb
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
fm8418

game companies would love no used games.

Games have already gone to internet 24/7 on PC so not far fetched
Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239 View Post
Yea I don't believe any of those rumors.

-Their not going to block used games. There's not even a way to detect if a used game is being played vs a new game anyways unless every single game is packed with a unique code that you'll have to enter. This won't happen. GameStop and Gamefly would be out of business. Redbox would take a hit and remove the games. I find this to be a stupid rumor that I don't understand why anyone would believe.
This is how it's supposed to go down, with a code you can only use on a single system. They don't care about the used or rental businesses - like fm8418 said, they'd be happy to see them all go away.

They're going to shoot themselves in the foot with this one.

Quote:
I think it would be compatible with any current and future tv's. LCD, HD, 3D, etc. They wouldn't hurt their audience and rule out certain current tv setups.
I could hook my Atari up to my LCD TV with the right connections, this isn't even an issue.

Quote:
Kinect being built in would make sense. They improve the already great sensor so it has a wider range, the consoles already normally facing the players, why not? And if the Xbox isn't in an ideal spot, only takes a couple seconds to move and get into a good spot. Not to mention Kinect is always an optional version to playing most game. Not like its mandatory.
There will probably be a small peripheral you have to position somewhere, not the whole console.

Quote:
-Highly doubt it would need to be connected 24/7 to the Internet to work. That again would be ridiculously stupid and sounds like another far fetched rumor. In today's day and age, majority of people have Internet and wifi, but there's no benefit to having a console that needs to be connected 24/7 to run.
There is to them, it helps them keep tabs on you. And believe me, they want to!

Quote:
-More integration with Redbox. More titles to rent, download, reserve from Xbox to redbox kiosk maybe
This could be accomplished with the 360, they just need to make an app.

Quote:
-Make lowest priced Xbox have decent memory. The 4gb Xbox is a joke. If you bought your Xbox to do more than just watch a movie, then your memory is going to be maxed. Now I love my 250gb console, but maybe make the minimum like 20gb
This probably isn't going to happen. They want you to spend as much as possible!

Really, I don't see how they could improve enough on the existing generation to justify me putting out another $600+.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #18
NonSportsCardForum
Banned

Granted I havent looked into it much myself but from what Ive been told youll essentially need to be connected online to get much out of this and if that really is the case, Ill 100% pass.
NonSportsCardForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
mainerunr

Everything I've read suggests that it will have a bluray drive...not that I really care. I'll pick up a PS4 12-16 months after release, even the dev's are saying it's got the better hardware again this time (and it wont be a PITA to code for like the cell was).

And I hope the XBox is a few bucks cheaper than the PS4 since for some reason the lower initial price keeps most of the riff-raff on the Xbox even though it costs more in the long run since you have to pay to play online.

(actually, I expect the hardware to be very similar again this time however, the rumors I've heard could be both a benefit as well as a hindrance to the xbox if it actually does run a windows 8 variant...likely more apps will be available sooner (benefit) but it will use more RAM for the OS and the OS will probably have more overhead too).

Either way, remember, competition is good and if we all liked the same things, the world would be a boring place.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
mainerunr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Really, I don't see how they could improve enough on the existing generation to justify me putting out another $600+.
higher res textures...both the nextbox and PS4 will have far more RAM than the current generation, couple that with removing the limitation of DVD media in favor of bluray and now you can have much larger games.

I think the biggest benefit though will be the ability to have more players in online games. Shooters with 64 players on a map, racers with more drivers at once, etc.

Add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with a decent browser and who needs a computer anymore?
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:55 AM   #21
thedarkbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP4MVP View Post
Easy enough... BOTH!

I've already prepared my wife for the purchase of 2 consoles and games this year
Old 04-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #22
packsmashers

-They already have a redbox app on live.
-If I had to guess I would think that Microsoft would unveil a Steam-like program that would allow games and software to be downloaded. Then you could log in and out on any machine and use your games.
-I've also heard that there maybe handhelds that can be attached and removed from the main console so you can play your game on the go.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
gussiethebussie

everything ive read makes the new xbox sound awful
gussiethebussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
Shimey013

The word on the new Xbox is horrible, and the $10 a month Xbox live to play your games...LOL. OH well.

PS4 doesnt sound much better either.

Anyway, for those that say "they can't block used games" guess most of you never played PC games, pop in disc, enter code, game could not be resold or played on any other computer.. Just an FYI.

With a dying console market, especially the disc form, i could see them doing this to try to milk every penny outta you before the next next gen will be all digital.

But then again, the PS4 conference didn't give us much info and I dont expect the xbox one too either. So we will just find out when the hardware finally hits the testers/reviewers.

But then with the rumors alone, i made my decision to just dump that money into a gaming PC.
Shimey013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #25
CollectorMan
Banned

The consoles for both Xbox and Playstation need to be monster successes or the industry is in major trouble. Peoples time is more valuable than ever. I don't like the outlook for console gaming down the road.
CollectorMan is offline   Reply With Quote