Blowout Cards Forums
2023 Football

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
cubsWSchamps

Default LinkedIn Professionalism...thoughts?

Hello, I was wondering what you all thought (or know, if you have been on LinkedIn for a while) about trying to connect with someone you do NOT know personally through LinkedIn to ask them for advise on working their profession, etc etc.

I just started using LinkedIn and am not sure of whether this is considered professional, or unprofessional.

Any input is much appreciated.
cubsWSchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
37Jetson

I have used Linked In for the past five or so years so I would say that your idea has a pretty good chance of success after the countless unsolicited head hunter e-mails, a kind well written opportunity to talk my profession sounds pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsWSchamps View Post
Hello, I was wondering what you all thought (or know, if you have been on LinkedIn for a while) about trying to connect with someone you do NOT know personally through LinkedIn to ask them for advise on working their profession, etc etc.

I just started using LinkedIn and am not sure of whether this is considered professional, or unprofessional.

Any input is much appreciated.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Ooosh

I personally would not contact someone you didn't know. It would be better to find a 'Group' that suits you, and enter the conversations there.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
SportsItUpCards
Banned

If they're on that site, chances are those people have been geeking over books for a very long time.... thus they would appreciate any comment they can get!

So go right ahead and send away... you will most likely get a detailed response, and some very good info. Unless they're from the entitled group, in which they wouldn't want to give you NO info. Those are the people who free loaded their whole life, and get mad if others get some of the info they got for doing nothing. Those are not the geeks though, those are the douches. Geeks are awesome!!! I don't mean it in a bad way... being a geek is a GOOD thing. Nothing like a good ol fashion hard working person.

But yeah, I don't see any problem with contacting anyone through that site, that's what they're there for, to ask questions, and to give some I would hope. Each hand washes the other person's back.
SportsItUpCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
cubsWSchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
I personally would not contact someone you didn't know. It would be better to find a 'Group' that suits you, and enter the conversations there.
What do you mean by "group"?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #6
cubsWSchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
If they're on that site, chances are those people have been geeking over books for a very long time.... thus they would appreciate any comment they can get!

So go right ahead and send away... you will most likely get a detailed response, and some very good info. Unless they're from the entitled group, in which they wouldn't want to give you NO info. Those are the people who free loaded their whole life, and get mad if others get some of the info they got for doing nothing. Those are not the geeks though, those are the douches. Geeks are awesome!!! I don't mean it in a bad way... being a geek is a GOOD thing. Nothing like a good ol fashion hard working person.

But yeah, I don't see any problem with contacting anyone through that site, that's what they're there for, to ask questions, and to give some I would hope. Each hand washes the other person's back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
I have used Linked In for the past five or so years so I would say that your idea has a pretty good chance of success after the countless unsolicited head hunter e-mails, a kind well written opportunity to talk my profession sounds pretty good.
Thanks! Im still debating it, but im leaning towards yes.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Ooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsWSchamps View Post
What do you mean by "group"?
There are different company groups and profession groups on LinkedIn. For example I joined my alma mater, Google Earth users, and stuff for my profession. Go to "Groups" on the horizontal tab along the top.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
cubsWSchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
There are different company groups and profession groups on LinkedIn. For example I joined my alma mater, Google Earth users, and stuff for my profession. Go to "Groups" on the horizontal tab along the top.
Will do! Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
SpastikMooss

I used Linkedin to get a ttm autograph...lol