Blowout Cards Forums
2018 flush

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

Notices

HOCKEY Post your Hockey Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
GemMT

Default Sidney Crosby 05 Cup Rookie Auto Patches: Why are the Gold's So Much Less?

So I am one of the guys who stocked up on 05 Cup Gold /87 Rookie Patches several years back. They were so much less expensive than the /99 and I actually like the Gold look better with the Penguins colors.

So I originally bought 9 of them, but own only these 3 currently (the ones I thought had the best patches and seemed to be in the best condition of the 9).

Recently, I've been looking to find a graded BGS 9.5 /99 for my personal collection without success. Are all of these in personal collections these days? I've been told that if I were to find a 3 color /99, I would have to pay over 25K?!?

On the other hand, if I had my 3 Golds graded and if any of them received a 9.5 grade, they would be a fraction of the /99 worth.

In basketball, football and baseball, parallels are usually at least as expensive if not more expensive than the "True Rookies". Why is hockey different?

Thanks!

P.S. - If anyone has a 3 Color BGS 9.5 /99 or /87 they are willing to sell, please contact me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crosby_Sidney_05_Cup_RAP_3ofthem.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	175640

FAVES: Anthony Davis, Matt Ryan, Stephen Curry, Tom Brady, Lebron, Crosby, Connor McDavid and just about any of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
GemMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
gonzagacubs

I think some of it has to do with what the fanbase of the sport generally prefers. It would seem, using the Crosby Cup RCs as example, hockey collectors put more of a premium on the true RC /99 as opposed to the shorter printed gold parallel.

I think it would be somewhat safe to assume with football collectors, they don't put nearly the emphasis on the true RC and look more towards the print run of RC parallels.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
hermanotarjeta

More base set collectors in hockey, ie more value in the base RC.

RC parallel is considered an insert - not a true rookie, and therefore less value, unless the player's jersey number is less than 10.

More emphasis on true rookie than parallel insert.

Or maybe Canadians are just weird, lol.
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
jasonadkins
Banned

If Sid wore number 6, or 15, or 23, then his Gold would be much more sought after than the #/99. Since there are just about as many Golds as the base, then set collectors and purists will go for the true Rookie Card from the base set since they are virtually equal in print run. The Ovechkin Gold #/8 is probably worth a ridiculous amount more than the base #/99. The Dwyane Wade Exquisite Gold AUTO #/3 probably would outsell the LeBron #/23, for reference.
jasonadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
Hagaman42

I have 09/87, your patches are way better than mine, would love to get one of those off you for my PC, please PM me if interested.
Hagaman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
mortuus

its because they are not considered "true rookie" card i dont get it either why they are worth much less its still nice looking cards that should have more value really.
mortuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #7
k13

Hockey collectors must be smarter.

Who cares about a bunch gold refractor parallel crap....
k13 is online now   Reply With Quote