Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
Davesportscards

Default I had the pleasure of experiencing a Kidney Stone.

I find this very unsettling being that I'm only 25. It's common on my Dad's side of the family, but it's never happened earlier than 45 or so. Anyways, onto my story...

I'm a bit of a night owl so keep that in mind. Starting Saturday night (Oct. 27th) I started to notice a pain in my side. I wasn't sure what to think of it, so I ignored it. It was only a 1 on the pain scale of 1-10. I was up all Saturday night into Sunday morning. The longer time went by the worse the pain got. I also started to notice a pain in my left...well...testicle. (So weird posting that on an open forum ) I thought it was extremely odd but I know how pain can radiate especially due to your nerves and how pain can work. At about 3am Sunday I was at about a 4 for pain. So I took some ibuprofen in case the pain in my left boy was caused due to inflammation. Well at about 5 am I was at an 8 for pain and was now peeing blood. As soon as I saw the blood I knew something was wrong with my Kidneys.

After about 30 minutes of peeing blood and reaching a 10 in pain I woke my GF up, the pain was absolutely unbearable. Yes, I was crying my eyes out. She frantically jumped out of bed saw me crying and trying to talk and asked what was wrong. It took a good minute for me to tell her I was peeing blood. She asked how bad the pain was, I told her I was at a 10. I couldn't take the pain. The best way to describe it was being stabbed in the kidney/side and then feeling like someone had hit me as hard as they could with a sledgehammer to the "boys".

She asked if she should call an ambulance, I told her I can't wait for an ambulance. She had to help hold me up while she walked me to the car, I felt horrible since I'm no small fry, I'm 5'11 265 pounds somewhat well built from the years of construction I worked. I'm not 100% fat lol. Just stocky.

So we get to the car at about 6 am, she takes off finding the quickest route to the Hospital. I thought the 10 I was at for pain was as bad as it would get. Oh my god, I was so wrong. 3 minutes into the ride the pain for some reason was intensified three fold. I was yelling and screaming in pain as it was somehow getting worse with each passing second. I can't even begin to describe the pain I was experiencing in my side and left "boy" by the time we got to the Hospital. I walked in with help and they immediately got me in a wheelchair and wheeled me to a room where a swarm of E.R. nurses started poking and prodding me with needles to draw blood, and put me on 2 i.v.'s.

They injected me with 3 different pain killers within 2 minutes to try to make the pain go away. It took about another 30 minutes for the pain to subside to an 8. Which felt like heaven compared to what I was at. Once I was able to lay still they rolled me to the CT machine, took their scans and rolled me back to my E.R. room where the E.R. Physician told me I had a kidney stone. I told him I figured that's what it was. I ended up laying there for another 3 hours when they finally came in and gave me prescriptions for Norco, Ibuprofen 800 and Flomax then told me to schedule a follow up with my Primary Care Physician and sent me on my way.

Fast forward to Tuesday morning (Oct 29th). I woke up in intense pain, a 10. I popped 5 Norco in less than 3 hours. Nothing. Went to my Appointment where my Doctor ended up wheeling me back to the E.R. This time they injected me with morphine. Wow, why couldn't they do that the first time!?!? This time they decided to prescribe me Percocet. Wow. That stuff is amazing. I dealt with pain (usually bounced between a 5 and an 8) the rest of the week and followed up that Friday with a Urologist. Really cool guy. He was very optimistic about me passing it in the next couple days. Prescribed me some more pain meds and Flomax to get me through until I passed it. I ended up passing it the next day.

Overall, I never want to experience that ever again. Only problem is that I will probably have them the rest of my life. I can't count how many times my junk was grabbed and examined by various Nurses etc. And I don't even want to think about how many times my junk flopped out in front of my parents and nurses and physicians while I was writhing in pain that Sunday morning. Peeing into a funnel with a screen for 7 days trying to catch the kidney stone was actually kind of funny. It was a constant game of gotta aim this right so it doesn't pour all over my legs, feet etc. Had a couple of clean up jobs in which I found myself laughing. I guess I was laughing because I figured "Well it could be worse! I could be in immense pain instead!" I can't count how many times I've looked at that Kidney Stone sitting in it's little Hospital Sanitary Sample Cup lol.

Please keep in mind, through all of that I was still making sure I was getting Cards out to their rightful owners on this board. That's how much you guys mean to me!
Sorry for the long read everyone. Anyone else ever experience the joy of a kidney stone?

Last edited by Davesportscards; 11-07-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Davesportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
nabzy28

Twice. I was told by a couple nurses it's about as close to the pain of having a child that a guy gets to have. Fun, right?
Old 11-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
babyfaceposey

Ughhh worst pain ever. I had kidney stones for 2 weeks every other day on my first deployment to Iraq. I was layed up getting shots of moraphine and unlimited percocet. This happened in May and I was told they had had over 300 cases since January at the base I was at. The cause was the water they were bottling in iraq. Even though it was filtered it contained to much calcium.
babyfaceposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
stera8

So there's pee on all the packages you sent out? :turkey:

Seriously though, I would be balling my eyes out as well. As I was reading, I know when your kidneys hurt it usually means you need to drink more especially water. Would it have helped if you drank more water? Would it have broken down the stones at all?
stera8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
benshobbies
Inactive Account

Dang, that is a big kick in the junk!

Glad you came through buddy! Keep fighting!
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Davesportscards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
Twice. I was told by a couple nurses it's about as close to the pain of having a child that a guy gets to have. Fun, right?
Yeah, that's what I kept hearing. Only having a child doesn't take 5-7 days lol.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Davesportscards

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfaceposey View Post
Ughhh worst pain ever. I had kidney stones for 2 weeks every other day on my first deployment to Iraq. I was layed up getting shots of moraphine and unlimited percocet. This happened in May and I was told they had had over 300 cases since January at the base I was at. The cause was the water they were bottling in iraq. Even though it was filtered it contained to much calcium.
Ugh. That's miserable!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Davesportscards

Quote:
Originally Posted by stera8 View Post
So there's pee on all the packages you sent out? :turkey:

Seriously though, I would be balling my eyes out as well. As I was reading, I know when your kidneys hurt it usually means you need to drink more especially water. Would it have helped if you drank more water? Would it have broken down the stones at all?
Lol, no, no mess on tha packages :turkey:

It seemed like the more I drank the more it hurt. The pain comes from the stone moving and tearing it's way through to the bladder. I knew I had to keep drinking water, but at the same time it only made the pain worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Dang, that is a big kick in the junk!

Glad you came through buddy! Keep fighting!
Felt like it! Thank you!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Deathgate

I had one a few months ago, and it was more than enough. 3 days of pain meds and writhing. I hope that I never have to endure one of those again.

Welcome to the club! There are 2 types of guys: those that have never had a kidney stone, and those that know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

ePack Id: goatcollector2012 - always looking to trade for Kitty Pryde, Black Cat or Rachel Summers cards - digital, base, inserts and sketches wanted
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
illadelf

Definitely the worst pain I've ever experienced. I somehow drove myself to the doctor, but they wouldn't give me the shot to relieve pain until someone was there that could drive me home. Make sure you drink a ton of water from here on out. I had my first one right around that same age, and 5 years later I haven't had another. Keeping my fingers crossed...

My apologies to our neighbors in the North, but I only ship inside the US
illadelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
TrueNE_09

Oh dear lord, this sounds like the worst thing ever. I'm in the 'never had one' camp, but watch, now that I say that.....I'm sure I'll f'n get one tomorrow. I say it again, this sounds awful. To know that it combines stomach/abdomen and the 'boys' makes it even worse.

OK, now I'm officially freaked out. Thanks OP
Old 11-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
illadelf

If the stone is over a certain size, they use lasers to break it up making it easier to pass. The problem is, you then have to pass multiple pieces

My apologies to our neighbors in the North, but I only ship inside the US
illadelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
dd316

My condolences. I think I've been through 4 bouts now, it's never fun.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
JDubs80

sorry to hear that; i had one when I was 18 years old, but not another since, and i'm 33 now. (knock on wood)
Old 11-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
Davesportscards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathgate View Post
I had one a few months ago, and it was more than enough. 3 days of pain meds and writhing. I hope that I never have to endure one of those again.

Welcome to the club! There are 2 types of guys: those that have never had a kidney stone, and those that know EXACTLY what you are talking about.
I feel like I'm part of an elite club now! And I never want to go through it again. The initiation to the club was enough! But now that I've had one, if I ever feel the initial pain again I'm going straight to the Hospital/My Physician. I don't know how I'd make it through a pain level of 30 again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelf View Post
Definitely the worst pain I've ever experienced. I somehow drove myself to the doctor, but they wouldn't give me the shot to relieve pain until someone was there that could drive me home. Make sure you drink a ton of water from here on out. I had my first one right around that same age, and 5 years later I haven't had another. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Yeah that's what they told me, increase my water intake, stay away from dark pops etc. I weened myself off of Coke/Pepsi a coupe months ago, I've been sticking to Sprite/7UP and water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNE_09 View Post
Oh dear lord, this sounds like the worst thing ever. I'm in the 'never had one' camp, but watch, now that I say that.....I'm sure I'll f'n get one tomorrow. I say it again, this sounds awful. To know that it combines stomach/abdomen and the 'boys' makes it even worse.

OK, now I'm officially freaked out. Thanks OP
It is by far the worst thing I've ever experienced. I thought for sure I'd pass out from the pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelf View Post
If the stone is over a certain size, they use lasers to break it up making it easier to pass. The problem is, you then have to pass multiple pieces
Yeah, it's something like 6mm or larger. The urologist showed me a 10mm stone...omg. He said a woman passed it and brought it in , if it had been a guy they would have broken it up. Mine was a 3mm stone. Something so small, and yet so debilitating. My Kidney Stone and I have an appointment in a couple hours with my Primary Care Physician so that she can send it off to the lab to determine what kind of kidney stone it is and what I need to do to reduce the risk of getting another one.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
mocean

Yep, worst pain ever - I'm sorry you had to go through that! My experience was identical to yours right down to waking up my wife at 3am and chaos on the ride to the hospital...lol...at least ER gave me morphine immediately.

You got "lucky" - I didn't pass mine for 6 weeks, after having the lasers and a stent for the whole time. The pain from the stent was worse than the stone IMO they had me up to 16 percocets/day at one point. Urologist told me removing the stent would be quick and painless....he was a damn liar
mocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
calculusdork

Sorry to hear Dave. Sounds downright awful.

Has anyone ever had both kidney stones and gall stones? I passed 2-3 gall stones last year (these pass from the gallbladder to the biliary tract, not out of your junk) ... it felt like I was having a heart attack. Worst pain I've ever felt. Probably not as bad as kidney stone, but I bet it's not too far off.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
Davesportscards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocean View Post
Yep, worst pain ever - I'm sorry you had to go through that! My experience was identical to yours right down to waking up my wife at 3am and chaos on the ride to the hospital...lol...at least ER gave me morphine immediately.

You got "lucky" - I didn't pass mine for 6 weeks, after having the lasers and a stent for the whole time. The pain from the stent was worse than the stone IMO they had me up to 16 percocets/day at one point. Urologist told me removing the stent would be quick and painless....he was a damn liar
Thanks man. Wow, I'm sorry you had to go through all that! My urologist had mentioned if it was a couple mm larger and I couldn't pass it he'd have to go in with a rod to try and grab it and pull it out. He highly recommended against it though because he said it can do more harm than good. He said, "It's meant to have fluid come out, not really meant to have a rod shoved up it." He said it'd be more painful than the stone itself. He did say though that pain was a good sign. Pain means it's moving. He also said mine was small enough I'd have no problems passing it. He told me about how one guy came in and the kidney stone was actually stuck in his..."rod". He said he could feel it in the guys "rod" and that it had completely blocked it up. He had to go in and pull it out. Ugh.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
Davesportscards

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Sorry to hear Dave. Sounds downright awful.

Has anyone ever had both kidney stones and gall stones? I passed 2-3 gall stones last year (these pass from the gallbladder to the biliary tract, not out of your junk) ... it felt like I was having a heart attack. Worst pain I've ever felt. Probably not as bad as kidney stone, but I bet it's not too far off.
Thanks Grant.

My Grandmother dealt with both for the last few years of her life. She spent quite a bit of time in the hospital dealing with both. I was pretty young at the time so I don't really know/remember much about it.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
TOMBB25

I made it to peeing blood and stopped reading. Oh goodness buddy, glad that you are doing better.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #21
tajikey

Between this thread and the one about getting a vasectomy, I believe my d!ck has voluntarily fallen off.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #22
Deathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Between this thread and the one about getting a vasectomy, I believe my d!ck has voluntarily fallen off.
I was trying to think of something to add to that feeling, and the only SFW thing I could come up with was this joke:

What do you call a discount circumcision? A rip-off! :turkey:

ePack Id: goatcollector2012 - always looking to trade for Kitty Pryde, Black Cat or Rachel Summers cards - digital, base, inserts and sketches wanted
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #23
Davesportscards

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBB25 View Post
I made it to peeing blood and stopped reading. Oh goodness buddy, glad that you are doing better.
Thanks man

Quote:
I nearly spit up pop all over my laptop. Thank you, I needed a good laugh today.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #24
TrueNE_09

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I, quite honestly, couldn't even read the vasectomy thread. Just the idea of having tubes inside me clipped or tied or whatever makes me lightheaded. I cannot handle such things at all.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
lawjawjones

This thread makes me cringe.

Holy sh!t.