Blowout Cards Forums
2024 Baseball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
base set

Default rare '13 Update gold /2013 McCutchen ?

I was browsing the bay and found this:

2013 Topps Update Complete Gold Parallel Set with SSP US35 and US224 | eBay

Anyone know the story on the gold version of the Andrew McCutchen All-Star card, #US35, being extra scarce?

I know he has strong collectors so the market would have probably sorted itself out. I myself am on the lookout for a '13 Series 1 black /62 of McCutchen.

I looked in my supply of cards to possibly use building an all parallel set of 2013, and I do have one of the Brad Miller US224, which I am now inclined to keep in that project. It is off-centered horizontally maybe 65/35 - could that be the reason these two cards are hard to find, a large production error led them to being pulled before pack-out?

I have a Don Kelly gold US246 that is off vertically maybe 90/10, it's quite striking, especially on a parallel. Until the issues with Heritage this year, I set aside poorly centered base from the last four years, and I don't even have 9 such cards yet as they just aren't seen very often any more.

I laughed at the Miller card last year because it is typical Topps. The text on the back mentions how he hits without using batting gloves - then the photo on the front has his hands cropped out the picture, which is a straight action batting shot.
base set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
ohiomike

There were about a dozen SSP golds in 2010 Topps Update that still bring $50+ each for common/semistar names.

Doing a quick search on ebay shows a McCutchen gold 2013 update brought over $100 by itself, so I'm guessing its a legit anomaly.

As for the Brad Miller, I wouldn't say its a SSP as you see several of these completed for $10 or less. He's not a big name so that would somewhat explain it selling low, but if it were truly as SSP'd as the 2010's or the 2013 McCutchen, you just wouldn't see that many of them around. It definitely looks to be in shorter supply though, so maybe just SP would be more appropriate.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
illadelf

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/b...n-us-35-a.html

My apologies to our neighbors in the North, but I only ship inside the US
illadelf is offline   Reply With Quote