Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-01-2021, 06:51 AM   #1201
cardsin47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsodpc View Post
just back from bbce wrapping today

Sweet!
( FYI for those not familiar - this is a very high demand, Scarce, HIGH DOLLAR! Box with great Long Term Investment potential )
Old 10-01-2021, 07:58 AM   #1202
Nostalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsonic2004 View Post
It's not but I'm betting the seller meant to put $10,000 instead of $1,000. I would be surprised if it gets shipped.
What do you think ended up happening with this?
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:22 PM   #1203
jmsodpc

Last edited by jmsodpc; 10-02-2021 at 06:18 PM.
jmsodpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #1204
mcwildcats

Quote:
Very nice. I have about 10 of these I bought way back in the day. Was going to have them BBCE wrapped but they don't really go for crazy dollars still so not sure if worth it or how much that costs.
mcwildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:42 PM   #1205
jmsodpc

Old 10-02-2021, 07:07 AM   #1206
cardsin47

Quote:
Calvin!
Old 10-02-2021, 03:46 PM   #1207
ewokpelts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebay View Post
This post is how I turned a $5 junk wax box to something a bit more desirable. The 1990 era Collegiate Collection wax boxes, are probably the lowest of the low in terms of junk wax boxes...mass produced, college licensed, etc. So, why in the world would I get this one box authenticated by BBCE?

Towards the end of a card show about a decade ago, a dealer desperately wanted to get rid of his 2 cases plus of Notre Dame. I wasn't interested, but the dealer was asking, IIRC, 50 cents or $1 per box for the entire case. I couldn't pass that up. Over the years, the two cases just took up too much space, and the boxes at best, would appreciate only a dime per year.

The idea! On the back of the packs, you can see through the wrapper. There were 3 different Joe Montana cards in the set. Thus, I broke open the 2 cases plus to see how many packs of Montana I could land. I pulled close to 40. A few months ago, I sent the box full of Montana packs off to BBCE, and had it certified! Now, instead of continually storing 2 worthless cases, I just have to store and admire this 1 curated box, and turning junk wax to "investment" wax! But then again, the terms "Investment" and "Collegiate Collection" should never be in the sentence.

Holy balls, is this scummy AF.
ewokpelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #1208
jmsodpc

Old 10-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #1209
Boredlawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewokpelts View Post
Or calls into question the legitimacy of the sealed wax verification process
Boredlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:54 PM   #1210
Pacmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredlawyer View Post
I'm sure BBCE has a magic wand which can tell that a box is untouched even when it was never sealed.
Pacmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:59 AM   #1211
jmsodpc

Old 10-03-2021, 01:04 PM   #1212
Boredlawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacmeyer View Post
I'm sure BBCE has a magic wand which can tell that a box is untouched even when it was never sealed.
I've long been a little skeptical of the wax verification.

In the past, people have claimed that there is proprietary information that the company holds to verify wax or spot tampered wax. However, revealing these secrets would allow anyone to verify wax and teach bad actors how to cheat.

So we spend money to take it on faith that boxes that have never been sealed can be verified as untampered.

That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. But people buy it.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:01 PM   #1213
Pacmeyer

Quote:
I've long been a little skeptical of the wax verification.

In the past, people have claimed that there is proprietary information that the company holds to verify wax or spot tampered wax. However, revealing these secrets would allow anyone to verify wax and teach bad actors how to cheat.

So we spend money to take it on faith that boxes that have never been sealed can be verified as untampered.

That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. But people buy it.
I can guess what some of those supposedly secret methods might be. For example, lids or flaps on unopened packaging will have some "spring" and won't pull back easily. If a flap has been bent open all the way, the folded edge will often show white where the cardboard is now broken. The little tabs on the edges of a box flap can tear or crease when the flap is opened so that's another sign.

Do all these add up to a guarantee of an unopened box? Heck no. If stored long enough, cardboard flaps will settle and become stiff again, especially if the box was opened only enough to slip the contents in or out.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:30 PM   #1214
sbfinley

Quote:
Not sure what this calls into question. They’ve long allowed this for unsealed releases because there isn’t any way to prove it has or hasn’t been shuffled. If you have two 86 Fleer Boxes you can cherry pick the Jordan stickers and then fill a full 36 pack box and it would be impossible to prove you did that. For these issues BBCE is only verifying the packs are untampered and the box is whole. If you want to avoid this pony up the FASC premium....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewokpelts View Post

Idiotic take IMO. Dude had some fun with some wax boxes not worth the cost of shipping. There’s a ton to get upset with in this hobby today, but calling this “scummy” is just dumb...
sbfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #1215
Boredlawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Not sure what this calls into question. They’ve long allowed this for unsealed releases because there isn’t any way to prove it has or hasn’t been shuffled. If you have two 86 Fleer Boxes you can cherry pick the Jordan stickers and then fill a full 36 pack box and it would be impossible to prove you did that. For these issues BBCE is only verifying the packs are untampered and the box is whole. If you want to avoid this pony up the FASC premium....

Idiotic take IMO. Dude had some fun with some wax boxes not worth the cost of shipping. There’s a ton to get upset with in this hobby today, but calling this “scummy” is just dumb...
Then I don't really understand what purpose they serve unless it's from a sealed case?

The FASC verification makes perfect sense to me--particularly in products with case hits like SP Legendary Cuts. I don't trust any individual boxes of a product like 2001 SP Legendary Cuts being sold on Ebay.

Last edited by Boredlawyer; 10-03-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #1216
EldoEsq

Quote:
I can guess what some of those supposedly secret methods might be. For example, lids or flaps on unopened packaging will have some "spring" and won't pull back easily. If a flap has been bent open all the way, the folded edge will often show white where the cardboard is now broken. The little tabs on the edges of a box flap can tear or crease when the flap is opened so that's another sign.

Do all these add up to a guarantee of an unopened box? Heck no. If stored long enough, cardboard flaps will settle and become stiff again, especially if the box was opened only enough to slip the contents in or out.
I dont think this is what they certify...the box may be "opened" but the packs are allegedly all "factory sealed."
EldoEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:47 PM   #1217
Pacmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoEsq View Post
I dont think this is what they certify...the box may be "opened" but the packs are allegedly all "factory sealed."
If BBCE is only authenticating the packs when they're in unsealed boxes, then only individual packs should ever be submitted for authentication. That's not what they say or do. With the exception of rack packs, BBCE clearly states "We will not authenticate individual packs."
Old 10-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #1218
EldoEsq

Quote:
If BBCE is only authenticating the packs when they're in unsealed boxes, then only individual packs should ever be submitted for authentication. That's not what they say or do. With the exception of rack packs, BBCE clearly states "We will not authenticate individual packs."
FASC is an unopened "sealed" box...otherwise, they check the packs to make sure they are consistent with how they should look.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #1219
Pacmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoEsq View Post
FASC is an unopened "sealed" box...otherwise, they check the packs to make sure they are consistent with how they should look.

When packs have been taken and inserted into different boxes, that's still tampering any way you look at it even if the packs themselves haven't been opened. To then put the wrap on any box where this might have occurred is disingenuous at best and, at worst, banking on buyer ignorance.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #1220
sbfinley

Quote:
With the exception of rack packs, BBCE clearly states "We will not authenticate individual packs."
I believe (someone correct me if I’m wrong) that’s a byproduct of their contract with PSA. Pack authentication for PSA has to be financially lucrative for Steve or he wouldn’t do it. The relationship exists because PSA filters more business for BBCE and PSA takes a cut. If BCEE authenticated packs own their own then there wouldn’t really be a point to what PSA offers other than the protection of the slab. Almost less than any other graded collectible does the assigned grade of a pack mean it’s value. The difference between an 8 and a 10 on a vintage graded card might be 10x-20x, on a graded vintage pack it might only be 25%-30%.

Last edited by sbfinley; 10-03-2021 at 06:30 PM.
sbfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #1221
EldoEsq

Quote:
When packs have been taken and inserted into different boxes, that's still tampering any way you look at it even if the packs themselves haven't been opened. To then put the wrap on any box where this might have occurred is disingenuous at best and, at worst, banking on buyer ignorance.
That's why FASC carries a premium.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #1222
jmsodpc

Old 10-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #1223
HTown281

Love all of y’all’s collections, they inspired me to buy 4 boxes of 2018 Topps update and series 2. Are their any other threads or groups that cover unopened wax ? In the past I’m like some others that have chimed in here, hard for me to keep stuff unopened!
HTown281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #1224
mattglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubbo23 View Post
Attachment 512657

Hobby and Vending boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You guys keep showing me where my Riley Pint superfractor auto is...

Creator of ListingAlarm - a tool that is better than eBay's Saved Searches! https://www.listingalarm.com
mattglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #1225
jmsodpc

after realizing i didnt have any 2017 football...i was torn between optic and prizm.
i also prefer a product with guaranteed autos and also didnt want to spend a ton (i know its all relative). after narrowing down my selection and chatting with some board members...i came up with this product....has two autos