Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 100

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 09-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
miscus555

Default 1996 select certified mirror red /gold cards

i have an nfl mirror red card and i think it has a peel off film over the front. should i leave it on or off if i'm going to sell it or grade it?

same thing for a 1996 mirror gold baseball card. did those even have a film on front? can't tell.

thanks
miscus555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
starfox

Leave it on! Post pics if you can.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
starfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
miscus555

i only noticed because it was starting to peel on the corner. still leave it on?

its a kerry collins
Old 09-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
seth2720

Yes definitely leave it on, most people don't collect the ones with the coating peeled since it's basically altered from its pack pulled state.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
coreydean

*edited

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think the 1996 Select Certified Mirrors had a peel off film. What is starting to peel I suspect is the top layer of the card. I have and Emmitt Mirror Gold and the upper right hand corner is starting to peel slightly.

So I wouldn't peel it off as it is a part of the card and not a protective peel like you see on say the 1997 Pinnacle Certified or some Finest releases.

But who knows, the top layer could be a peel. If it is and is left on, then the peel is what the graders will grade right? Would be hard to grade the true surface if their is a peel on it.

Last edited by coreydean; 09-07-2019 at 04:04 PM.
coreydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
highlaem

If you're grading you may want to pull it off. If you're selling. Keep it on and let the buyer decide. A lot of collectors are against peeling, and some view this as altering. I have a hard time believing this is altering as the older cards have the sticker saying peel here and the sticker actually takes away from look. I find this silly, l keep a copy of one with a sticker and one without.

Ijust bought a Brady gold refractor /99 graded a 5. Looked at it and it was peeled half way and put back. Broke it out and it had scratches all over the peel and was dull. Peeled it and its a thing of beauty

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
thenwhatjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydean View Post
*edited

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think the 1996 Select Certified Mirrors had a peel off film. What is starting to peel I suspect is the top layer of the card. I have and Emmitt Mirror Gold and the upper right hand corner is starting to peel slightly.

So I wouldn't peel it off as it is a part of the card and not a protective peel like you see on say the 1997 Pinnacle Certified or some Finest releases.

But who knows, the top layer could be a peel. If it is and is left on, then the peel is what the graders will grade right? Would be hard to grade the true surface if their is a peel on it.

Nah, they for sure have a protective film, it just doesn’t have dumb writing on it

I say yolo peel it, people love shiny and it’ll be more shiny as soon as you peel it
Old 09-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
nfcsaints

Peel only if getting auto’d or grading. My surface sub was penalized for having the peel on it. Was advised by Beckett to resubmit and request the peel removed (which they will do for you).

Last edited by nfcsaints; 09-08-2019 at 02:04 PM.
nfcsaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #9
miscus555

i have no idea how to get this peel off. tried the tape method but the thing won't budge. scary stuff!
Old 11-10-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
superdan49
BODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
i have no idea how to get this peel off. tried the tape method but the thing won't budge. scary stuff!
Buy a few commons and experiment getting the peel off before peeling your card. They are tough to remove on this set.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #11
jplarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlaem View Post
If you're grading you may want to pull it off. If you're selling. Keep it on and let the buyer decide.
100% agreed. I peel only if I intend on grading with Beckett as the protective film tends to grade poorly for surface. Plus the luster of the card shines more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfcsaints View Post
Peel only if getting auto’d or grading. My surface sub was penalized for having the peel on it. Was advised by Beckett to resubmit and request the peel removed (which they will do for you).
I didn't know they offered that, very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdan49 View Post
Buy a few commons and experiment getting the peel off before peeling your card. They are tough to remove on this set.
^^this all day.
jplarson is offline   Reply With Quote