Blowout Cards Forums
2024 Baseball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

Notices

HOCKEY Post your Hockey Cards Hobby Talk

Old 09-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
3124508 on COMC
BODA

Exclamation New BGS/PWCC Scam: McDavid RPA Altered While Keeping Same BGS Serial Number

I've seen it all now. I'd love for BGS to explain how someone can add a fake serial number to a card while it stays in a slab with the same serial number as the unaltered card.

Sold May 26, 2019 (and many times prior to that):
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...-rc-2002151978

To be sold by PWCC. Auction starting tonight:
https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/items/2418153

These are the facts I have observed:
-First, the two cards above are clearly the same from the patches and autograph.
-Second, the PWCC auction to begin shortly is for an altered copy of the card where a serial number has been poorly added.
-Third, the BGS serial number of the card does not change from the card as sold on May 26, 2019 to now.
-Fourth, the BGS subgrades DO change (the corner subgrade goes up, while the surface subgrade goes down).
-Fifth, the "MISSING SERIAL NUMBER" line was removed from the slab when it was graded for the second time.
-Sixth, the card has been reslabbed. It is in the opposite orientation in the BGS case now.
-Seventh, the date graded has been changed to Wednesday, July 31, 2019 with the new subgrades applied on the BGS website. This aligns with the time of the 2019 National Convention.

Feel free speculate on how exactly this happened.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
ShoutFan2020

This is getting out of hand, crooks everywhere. Worst fake number ever and BGS doesn't tag it with an altered or low grade since it is defaced?

PWCC sucks and most know it, but their ethics are some of the worst.
ShoutFan2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
rohara99

So someone take the fattest sharpie ever created, defaces the cards with a made up #/97 (which is was suppose to originally have and was noted on the BGS holder as missing), and then gets is slabbed with the same BGS # prior to the defacing?

W. T. F. ?
rohara99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #4
leaflandwest

Someone went through the trouble of hand numbering and didn't even number it 97. They must've thought that's what would've given it away and not the fact that they tried writing it using a bingo dabber.
leaflandwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
slightlyrounded

This is insane. Such an indictment of both the grader and PWCC (as if either needed that further confirmation).

The sooner Brent Huigens is locked up, the better
slightlyrounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #6
pip

The evidence sure makes it look like Beckett was a willing participant in the attempted fraud. Would be interesting to know who the submitter was.

Also, wouldn't the card potentially be more valuable without the number? Wasn't an extremely scarce error card basically defaced?
pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
corndog
BODA

Location: From a table in McDonalds, with lovely fake flowers on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
The evidence sure makes it look like Beckett was a willing participant in the attempted fraud. Would be interesting to know who the submitter was.

Also, wouldn't the card potentially be more valuable without the number? Wasn't an extremely scarce error card basically defaced?
So much of the bolded.

Integrity in grading?
Old 09-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
mjohnatgt

May not be an error card originally. May be backdoored or made as a replacement. But yes, smacks of corruption.

My initial guess:
I know that SGC used to have a rule that if you cracked out and tried it raw at PSA, that you could return the card "in the same condition" and get your old grade back at SGC. It's possible that this is what is happening here with BGS, and that BGS didn't realize the serial number was counterfeited.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnatgt View Post
May not be an error card originally. May be backdoored or made as a replacement. But yes, smacks of corruption.

My initial guess:
I know that SGC used to have a rule that if you cracked out and tried it raw at PSA, that you could return the card "in the same condition" and get your old grade back at SGC. It's possible that this is what is happening here with BGS, and that BGS didn't realize the serial number was counterfeited.
LOL..
Old 09-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #10
ShoutFan2020

Let's review possible scenarios;

Submitter gets card in May and takes to the National. Tells UD about missing serial number. Did UD mark the card and walk it over to BGS? Either way BGS should not have used the same serial number and regraded under a new number. Surface gets dinged down to a 9 and edges stay at 9.5 despite apparent marker overrun on the one edge (has to be blue on the edge). Seems to be a bit of a stretch really.
ShoutFan2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #11
KhalDrogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnatgt View Post

My initial guess:
It was a re-grade though (corners and surface both changed). BGS doesn't use the old serial number on a crack out, even if you send the flip in (my understanding). And if this flip was sent in...
KhalDrogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:38 PM   #12
sbfinley

Even odds that it was purchased, the slab was compromised, the card was altered, and it was subbed as reholder with Beckett.
sbfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #13
mjohnatgt

Well, one edge of the holder is snipped off in the earlier picture.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:00 PM   #14
pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Even odds that it was purchased, the slab was compromised, the card was altered, and it was subbed as reholder with Beckett.
That was my thought as well. But how could Beckett ignore its first label? Maybe they decided to reassess the grade given the level of damage to the holder. How could Beckett be that stupid though?
Old 09-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #15
sbfinley

It almost had to be a reholder with regrade because the sub grades changed but the cert number didn’t. As for how they missed it... I don’t know, but I’m guessing it’s the same reason everyone screws something up every day.
sbfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:27 PM   #16
TheCardFarmer

Crazy. Maybe BGS gave the same serial # just in case they had a pop report of 98 of 97 lol
TheCardFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:57 PM   #17
3124508 on COMC
BODA

Looks like PWCC has pulled it after emailing them.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #18
pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
It almost had to be a reholder with regrade because the sub grades changed but the cert number didn’t. As for how they missed it... I don’t know, but I’m guessing it’s the same reason everyone screws something up every day.
Come on. That looks like a 3 year old did it.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #19
pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3124508 on COMC View Post
Looks like PWCC has pulled it after emailing them.
So a letter from Beckett certifying the correct grade/assessment is on its way before the PWCC relist?
Old 09-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #20
3124508 on COMC
BODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
So a letter from Beckett certifying the correct grade/assessment is on its way before the PWCC relist?
Correct.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:54 PM   #21
pip

I just took a look at various price tracking sites and it appears that there were a fair number of the cards issued without any serial numbers written on them. Could this (the unnumbered variety) have been a promo card that was given out at a venue like the National?
Old 09-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #22
Melagoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflandwest View Post
Someone went through the trouble of hand numbering and didn't even number it 97. They must've thought that's what would've given it away and not the fact that they tried writing it using a bingo dabber.
... ... had to laugh ... that is so bad ... what were they thinking ...

Last edited by Melagoo; 09-17-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Melagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:36 PM   #23
fuzzycollects

This was an admitted mistake by Upper Deck on the Honorable Numbers cards for McDavid's rookie year. Some of them came out numbered but some also did not get hand numbered. Upper Deck admitted they dropped the ball on it and said that any collector that wanted to have it 'hand numbered', could send it back to them & they would fix. Now....looking at this card, if that was an Upper Deck employee who hand numbered it with the fattest sharpie known to man, they should just quit. Doesn't make much sense, why would anyone even try to do that on their own, especially on a rookie year card from The Cup. I'm guessing it actually was Upper Deck but who knows?
fuzzycollects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:46 PM   #24
mjohnatgt

I will pay you $100 USD by PayPal if Upper Deck had anything to do with it.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:50 PM   #25
vincecarder

The original case could have been damaged and the owner cracked it, altered card and mailed it in for reslab with original 9.5 label. Beckett wouldn't know any better especially if the card was still in the same gem condition and would think the crappy new blue numbering was original and just slab again.